Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Global Warming/Is it really to late for us?

Harpie Lady

Hello everyone,

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts and views on what they think. Now I have a question for everyone out there:

DO YOU THINK THAT IT IS TO LATE FOR GLOBAL WARMING TO BE STOPED?

If you dont know much about it here's a quick run of it:

The green house effect is a natural process that maintaines the Earth's tempature at level hospital for life,

Energy from the sun warm the Earth, The earth absorbs heat from the sun & radiates it back into space,

About 1% of Earth's atomoshere is compsosed of greenhouse gases primary water,vapor,ozone,methane & nitrous oxide,

Together these gases reflect enough heat back to space maintaning the average temp of aroun 60 F,

Without the greenhouse effect the Earth would be an inhabitable place.

Over all humanity has been a big contributer to global warming........

Nearly 2 dozen computer models now agree that by 2100 the average tempature will be 3 to 6 degress higher that what is now, according to Geral Mehl a senior scientist at the national center for atmosheric research,

John Walsh director of Center for Global warming change & Artic System research at the University of Alask fairbank said that he is not sure whether anyone can stop global warming.....................

NOW that's where my question comes in to all of you: DO YOU THINK THAT IF ALL HUMANITY INCLUDING ALL GOVERMENTS PUTTING INDIVUDAUL EFFERT THAT THERE IS A CHANCE TO MAYBE STOPPING GLOBAL WARMING? OR AT LEAST PREVENTING IT FROM GETTING WORSE OR ARE WE REALLY DOOMED? :hmm:

Edited by Harpie Lady

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StalingradK

• Harpie Lady

• Glacies

• poleshift

The main weapon we have to fight global warming would be to plant more trees. Unfortunately we cut down more than we plant. Untill the problem gets too out of hand, i doubt much will be done.

*moved to correct forum*

The problem is, when things get too out of hand, it WILL be too late.

but maybe if all humanity works together maybe we can prevent?? :yes:

What's so bad about global warming? So we'll have to move more inland and become more united as a world? Would global warming also make the world a more tropical reigion? More rain? BRING IT.

What's so bad about global warming? So we'll have to move more inland and become more united as a world? Would global warming also make the world a more tropical reigion? More rain? BRING IT.

NO, not a more tropical region a more extinct region, thousands of people and animals would die....... :no:

NO, not a more tropical region a more extinct region, thousands of people and animals would die....... :no:

thousands? thats not that much.

NO, not a more tropical region a more extinct region, thousands of people and animals would die.......

How? Who says? Yeah some animals will become extinct but that's the way it's always been, animals die out and another spieces takes its place. And Thousands of people would die why... think about it, You have rising sea levels where the water is also getting warm at the same time, you have a more tropical areas round world where growing crops wouldn't be a problem.

How? Who says? Yeah some animals will become extinct but that's the way it's always been, animals die out and another spieces takes its place. And Thousands of people would die why... think about it, You have rising sea levels where the water is also getting warm at the same time, you have a more tropical areas round world where growing crops wouldn't be a problem.

man made stress are endangering coastal regions & the sea's ability to sustain itself my well be leading to long-term damage & serious problems.......

because of temp. in the sea's rising many animals are dying & confused on where they should be going to migrate & corals in the oceaons are dying too

as for the crops growing because of this it's more like the SUN IS GOING TO MELT US!! :ph34r:

That's not how global warming works... And what do you mean the sea's ability to sustain itself. Rising waters does not mean that the ocean is going to be all ****ed up. Please tell me what you think global warming is and what is does.

That's not how global warming works... And what do you mean the sea's ability to sustain itself. Rising waters does not mean that the ocean is going to be all ****ed up. Please tell me what you think global warming is and what is does.

global warming is produced by a massive blanket of gasses, preventing the heat from escaping back out again, akin to a greenhouse. this would create deserts across dry land and oceans covering more and more land, killing millions of species. so while this would mean i'd have some nice ocean waterfront property in saskatchewan...i think the pros may be outweighed by the cons...

Edited by Glacies

Global Warming is just a theory, its not actually factual yet.

Everything now is just a prediction from past records which started only 200 -300 years ago?

Remember climate changes happen sometimes thousands to millions of years in a cycle, but we dont actually know how irratic or slow they are.

We could be experiencing the worst right now, or this could be just the tip of the ice berg?

I dont think we can do enough to stop any climate change of that magnitude.

Unfortunatly thats nature and we are no more important than any other creature. eg dinosaurs

Unfortunatly he has some good points and bad points

GOOD POINT - when species become extinct, a new one rises

BAD POINT - "Tropical" is an understatment of the temperature, more like "desert".

Can someone explain to me; if global warming is heating up the planet because the suns heat is being prevented from leaving the Earth due to the build up of gases in the atmosphere, why isn't an equal amount of heat also being prevented from entering through the atmosphere?

I heard that there are some ways to actually stop it from getting worse, Theres a liquid that absorbs carbon dioxide, then releases it under heat. But its too expensive for most factories, but there's always ash, that absorbs some CO2 aswell

MYTH: The science of global warming is too uncrtain to act on.

FACT: There is no debate among scientist about the basic facts of global warming.

MYTH: Global warming is just part of one of the earth's natural cycles.

FACT: The global warming we are experiencing is not natural.

MYTH: We adapt to climat change -civilization has survived droughts and ice ages before.

FACT: Individual civilization have collapsed from dramatic climatic shifts.

Lol, so many of you paranoid about global warming.

global warming is produced by a massive blanket of gasses, preventing the heat from escaping back out again, akin to a greenhouse. this would create deserts across dry land and oceans covering more and more land, killing millions of species. so while this would mean i'd have some nice ocean waterfront property in saskatchewan...i think the pros may be outweighed by the cons...

Global warming is just a heating up of the earth (Greenhouse gases can speed the process but not as fast as most people are saying), deserts were not caused like that btw. I mean look at the great plains, they used to be a huge wasteland. When you have warmer water and more of it, more rain will happen bringing more water to places on the earth. There are no actual events that can be predicted to what will happen with further global warming.

MYTH: The science of global warming is too uncrtain to act on.

FACT: There is no debate among scientist about the basic facts of global warming.

Read above

MYTH: Global warming is just part of one of the earth's natural cycles.

FACT: The global warming we are experiencing is not natural.

Who's to say it isn't? You don't know that, maybe the melting glaciers around the world are signs of the Ice Age ending and a warming stage beginning.

MYTH: We adapt to climat change -civilization has survived droughts and ice ages before.

FACT: Individual civilization have collapsed from dramatic climatic shifts.

Yeah, hundreds of years ago. We are so technologically advanced we can adapt easily.

Edited by StalingradK

Lol, so many of you paranoid about global warming.

Global warming is just a heating up of the earth (Greenhouse gases can speed the process but not as fast as most people are saying), deserts were not caused like that btw. I mean look at the great plains, they used to be a huge wasteland. When you have warmer water and more of it, more rain will happen bringing more water to places on the earth. There are no actual events that can be predicted to what will happen with further global warming.

Read above

Who's to say it isn't? You don't know that, maybe the melting glaciers around the world are signs of the Ice Age ending and a warming stage beginning.

Yeah, hundreds of years ago. We are so technologically advanced we can adapt easily.

I know that humans as a whole have survived the vagaries of drought, ice ages and more, BUT, not every society has! Once more unless we limit the amount of heat-trappin gases we are putting into the atmshere we will face a warming trend unseen by human civilization!!!

THE CONSEQUENCES OF CONTINUED WARMING COULD BE REALLY BAD :huh:

Scarcity of water and food could lead to major clonflicts worldwide.....& even if people find a way to adapt, the wildlife and plants on which we depend may not be able to adapt!!

While the world itself will not end, the world as we know it may disappeaar.......... :cry:

& I am not paranoid......... <_<

The reason why there aren't emission caps in the U.S. is because...right from the horses mouth, President Bush: "It would hurt our economy." Bush doesn't want anything to hurt his or all the "good 'ol boys" profits. Which again goes to show you why they invaded Iraq; Black Gold.

The reason why there aren't emission caps in the U.S. is because...right from the horses mouth, President Bush: "It would hurt our economy." Bush doesn't want anything to hurt his or all the "good 'ol boys" profits. Which again goes to show you why they invaded Iraq; Black Gold.

freakin bush!!!!!! :angry2:

Scarcity of water and food could lead to major clonflicts worldwide.....& even if people find a way to adapt, the wildlife and plants on which we depend may not be able to adapt!!

Palm trees in massachusetts. I LIKE THAT IDEA! Spieces come, go, and get replaced with other ones, we will too if we stay here on earth. And we can adapt to any environment unless it's like, -20F degrees. People around the world live in all different environments and if we have to, we will adjust to them.

So can anyone answer my question? If the gases prevent the suns heat escaping the atmosphere, why don't they also prevent it entering?

Let me just say that if you all thought global warming was scary, Google or make a search on Wikipedia for "Global Dimming".

It's a very complex problem, but I can summarize it by saying that all the particles we humans emit into the atmospehere are creating a shield that reflects the sun's rays to the extent, that the cooling of Earth is going on. What is worse, that effect is basically overshadowing the real warming problem "beneath".

But yes, as someone said, more trees would be soothing.

ok, i said that it would cause deserts, not that the deserts were created by global warming. and more water isn't necessarily a good thing, it would through off climate changes, causing all around negative reprecussions. imo that is.