Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did dinosuars have lips?

SG7

Did dinosuars have lips?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Did dinosuars have lips?

• yes
    • no
    • some did

Hi

I was drawing one day and a questing pop into my head. Did dinosuars have lipes? I would think they would so that ther teeth don't dry out. The only reptiles that dont have lipes (that I know of) are reptiles in the croc famile.

Edited by Fluffybunny

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• SG7

• Pilgrim_Shadow

• draconic chronicler

hey, nifty and original thread i must say...but i think you mean lips...anywho :tu:

yeah, like i said, they mean lips.

Dinosaurs did not have lips, they have no need for them.

sorry I have a hard time with spelling. :blush:

I corrected the spelling boo-boo on the title for you.

course they did

how else would they kiss ?

:blink:

:blink::wacko::rofl:

How can you be sure of that?

First, the jaws had groves where the teeth rested, outside the mouth...Unless dinosaurs had MASSIVE lips, the teeth wouldn't be exposed...Think crocodile, their second closest cousins.

According to paleontologist Robert Bakker, Apatosaurus may have had thick, moose-like lips that would help in gathering plant material...

APATOSAURUS

listen to frogfish artymoon; he's a dino fan.

Edited by strangebutsmart

Although it could be true, it is unlikely...Its probably more plausible that they have a prehensile tongue like giraffes.

listen to frogfish artymoon; he's a dino fan.

what? frogfish, a dino fan? are you sure we're thinking of the same person? good point ff, prehensile tongue makes a convincing theory.

IF there was a dinosaur with lips, it would be Sauropods, but I find it that the tingues are more likely as Dinos are archosaurs, and archosaurs don't have lips.

what? frogfish, a dino fan

Lol, my avatar and sig are just a decoy :rolleyes:

Edited by frogfish

Serious paleontologists all concurr dinosaurs had lips, and would have looked much like varanid lizards (like the Komodo Dragon) when their mouths are closed. We know this because of the holes for major blood vessels in the maxilla of both predatory and herbivorous dinsaurs. It is not even a debatable point. It is a fact.

Crocodilians do not have lips becasue of their adaption as an aquatic animal, making the lips redundant. Nor do they have the blood vessel holes to support the lips, thus proving the point. Not to mention every reptile except turtles, tortoises and crocodilians also having lips.

Of course, little kids who think dinos are "cooler" with exposed fangs will not want to believe this, but the truth is the truth.

Sorry Frogfish.

Serious paleontologists all concurr dinosaurs had lips, and would have looked much like varanid lizards (like the Komodo Dragon) when their mouths are closed. We know this because of the holes for major blood vessels in the maxilla of both predatory and herbivorous dinsaurs. It is not even a debatable point. It is a fact.

Crocodilians do not have lips becasue of their adaption as an aquatic animal, making the lips redundant. Nor do they have the blood vessel holes to support the lips, thus proving the point. Not to mention every reptile except turtles, tortoises and crocodilians also having lips.

Of course, little kids who think dinos are "cooler" with exposed fangs will not want to believe this, but the truth is the truth.

Sorry Frogfish.

Are you implying that the many herbivores which had horny beaks also had lips? Or that, for instance, masiakasaurus had lips over its rather prominent teeth? This seems unlikely.

Certainly, many dinosaurs had lips. However, there are many species which did not. To present your case as absolute is an exageration. As with all things in life, there are exceptions.

-Pilgrim

frog have lips. :geek:

Serious paleontologists all concurr dinosaurs had lips, and would have looked much like varanid lizards (like the Komodo Dragon) when their mouths are closed

You don't have any proof...I have not heard of this before.

It is not even a debatable point. It is a fact

yes it is...All ceratopsians, therizinosaurs, and most hadrosaurs had beaks or beak-like structures. Not to mention oviraptorids. Lips are for producing certain sounds and to manipulate food outside the mouth. Therefore, it is probable that carnivores did not have lips, but rather tore flesh like a crocodile. If there were lips in the dinosaurs, they would belong to the herbivores, but it is more likely they had beaks and/or prehensile tongues, as their teeth were pushed forward and the palate curved upwards. That leaves the sauropods with the only ones with a good possibility of lips. But since their closest cousins don't have lips, it is reasonable that they don't have lips either. They most likely had prehensile tongues like giraffes.

Sorry Frogfish.

I hope your not implying something like this again, or it will revert you to being banned again.

frog have lips

So?

You don't have any proof...I have not heard of this before.

I'm afraid that in this case, Frogfish, you are mistaken, at least in the sense that there is in fact a goodly amount of evidence that most theropods had lips. However, it is hardly an uncontested fact, and as I pointed out, the presense of lips on ALL dinosaurs is believed to be false.

A study by Ohio University done in 1998 suggests that Tyranosaurs may not have had lips at all. Sadly, I can find no information on follow-up studies, and so I cannot vouch for the study's validity. However, it clearly shows that debate on the subject is alive and well. You can read a press release from the university here:

http://www.ohiou.edu/news/months/sept1998/057.html

For the time being, the presence of lips appears to be the most widely held belief, but they were hardly universal, and the debate is not yet finished.

-Pilgrim

I'm afraid that in this case, Frogfish, you are mistaken, at least in the sense that there is in fact a goodly amount of evidence that most theropods had lips. However, it is hardly an uncontested fact, and as I pointed out, the presense of lips on ALL dinosaurs is believed to be false.

A study by Ohio University done in 1998 suggests that Tyranosaurs may not have had lips at all. Sadly, I can find no information on follow-up studies, and so I cannot vouch for the study's validity. However, it clearly shows that debate on the subject is alive and well. You can read a press release from the university here:

http://www.ohiou.edu/news/months/sept1998/057.html

For the time being, the presence of lips appears to be the most widely held belief, but they were hardly universal, and the debate is not yet finished.

-Pilgrim

Cool. thanks for that. But how did the T-rex stop its teeth form drying out?

Cool. thanks for that. But how did the T-rex stop its teeth form drying out?

Chapstick?

Lips are useful for protecting the teeth from decay. However, dinosaurs, like crocodiles, do not have a permenant set of teeth. Rather, when a tooth falls out, they simply grow a new one. Thus, the problem isn't as great for them as for a mammal. If a tooth is damaged, they need only wait a few months for a replacement.

-Pilgrim