Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Screeching...Thing!

enslavedbydragons

Can anyone tell me what this animal or thing is. Every Spring, like the first warm day of Spring, this Thing, I call it a Thing, starts screeching. It's not a screech owl, because I know what a screech owl sounds like. It sounds more like a dying Goblin or something. It really freaks me out. Especially at night, cause that's when it starts it's screeching music. Anyone have any idea of what it might be? And it's also very annoying. :angry: Oh, I live in NJ by the way.

Edited by Morodin

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enslavedbydragons

• frogfish

• Lilly

• Idriss

Screech Owls are common in NJ...How do you know what a dying Goblin sounds like?

Can anyone tell me what this animal or thing is. Every Spring, like the first warm day of Spring, this Thing, I call it a Thing, starts screeching. It's not a screech owl, because I know what a screech owl sounds like. It sounds more like a dying Goblin or something. It really freaks me out. Especially at night, cause that's when it starts it's screeching music. Anyone have any idea of what it might be? And it's also very annoying. :angry: Oh, I live in NJ by the way.

Sounds like something in my area (Southern West Virgina). Only way I can describe the sound is a high pitch screech much like the nazgul from LOTR mixed with a mountain lion. It scares everything around including the animals. It only happens in the summer. We call it a Dodang. lol

Edited by nephilim

like the nazgul from LOTR mixed with a mountain lion.

Eastern Screech Owl...

It gives me chills even if it is an owl. Frightening noise.

Edited by nephilim

It gives me chills even if it is an owl. Frightening noise

Many people relate it also to the piercing scream of a woman.

That's it! It's like screaming woman, and a screech owl. And not a screech owl, because the tone level of a screech owl is a little bit lower than the Thing in my neighbors backyard. And I know what a dying Goblin sounds like because, I have the game Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and when you kill a goblin, it makes a screech just like the Thing makes.

And I know what a dying Goblin sounds like because, I have the game Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and when you kill a goblin, it makes a screech just like the Thing makes.

Final Fantasy is a game, it is not scientifically correct.

Screech owls can make different pitches.

Pitch also changes with distance.

Well, it's screech sounds exactly like a Goblin in my game. And distance is not involved in this matter, because the location of the Thing is like...right next to my house. In a tree, right next to the fence that separates my backyard and my neighbors backyard.

Well, it's screech sounds exactly like a Goblin in my game. And distance is not involved in this matter, because the location of the Thing is like...right next to my house. In a tree, right next to the fence that separates my backyard and my neighbors backyard.

Well, why dont you check what it is then? Its most likely an owl.

Because I don't know exactly where Its location is. It's so close, that it sounds like It's everywhere. The only thing I know about it, is that It likes warm, Spring nights, and that It's in my neighbors backyard somewhere. That's all the information I can give you about the Thing. Sorry if I couldn't give you anymore information.

Maybe, but who knows. Maybe it's the Jersey Devil. Maybe it's a new species of mystery creatures. It could be anything.

Cicadas don't screech...they have a long, drawn-out chirp.

No way. A cicada does not make noise as loud as the Thing. And I would know when it's a cicada. Besides, I'm talking about 10, 11 at night, not in the afternoon. And I think the whole street that I live at can hear the Thing when It is screeching.

I wonder if it is a hawk??? Could be wrong, or do you have any wildcats/panthers indigineous to your area ? Just a suggestion. :)

Whatever it is, it's probably looking for a mate. That's why it's calling out. I seriously doubt that it's paranormal, though.

Of course, if it is paranormal, the fact that it's looking for a mate isn't very reassuring!

"ACK! You mean there's more than ONE of those things out there?!?!?" :P

Last time I'm saying this, It's not an owl. I've looked for a nest, wasn't any nest there, I've even looked for a hole in the tree that I think It's living in. No hole. I tried climbing up the tree, but the tree was to smooth, and besides, the tree isn't hollow at all. The whole tree is like any normal tree, except that it's dead. So, the Thing is just going to keep on annoying me every single warm, Spring night. And I thought of a raccoon, but it's not. The only raccoon I know of is the one that I think is living somewhere in my backyard. And he's a quiet one.

.... And I thought of a raccoon, but it's not. The only raccoon I know of is the one that I think is living somewhere in my backyard. And he's a quiet one.

How do you know the raccoon is quiet all the time? When he's "in the mood for love", or fending off other raccoons who may enter his territory, he might speak up for himself.

When I was younger, just out of college, I worked for a time as a field biologist in upstate NY. I must say, I've heard some pretty loud critters every now and again. Sometimes you simply never see what's making the noise. I might suggest looking for tracks, rather than trying to spot the animal itself.

Your neighbours aren't into keeping exotic birds are they? And if so, do they keep them outdoors in the spring & summer? Our nearest neighbour here is a mile away, but he used to keep pheasants and peacocks. One summer they got out of their outdoor run, but we didn't know about it. Then early one morning, just as the sun was peeking up this loud gawd-awful screech came from right outside our bedroom window. We jumped up and looked out the window to see this big peacock sitting on a low branch of the tree which is only about 20 feet away from the house. I never knew before that that a peacock could be so loud!

I also thought about cats in heat. Mating cats can make sounds that will curdle the blood..........and well, spring is the season of love you know. ;)

Edited by earthchick

Last time I'm saying this, It's not an owl. I've looked for a nest, wasn't any nest there, I've even looked for a hole in the tree that I think It's living in. No hole. I tried climbing up the tree, but the tree was to smooth, and besides, the tree isn't hollow at all. The whole tree is like any normal tree, except that it's dead. So, the Thing is just going to keep on annoying me every single warm, Spring night. And I thought of a raccoon, but it's not. The only raccoon I know of is the one that I think is living somewhere in my backyard. And he's a quiet one.

...Owl's dont have to make a nest to sit in tree... owl's are hunters who hunt for small rodents at night. they're nocturnal, and they don't just sit in one specific tree in their nest screeching for no reason...

it does sound like an owl, and tbh, if you think its a goblin... you should really stop playing final fantasy games before you go to sleep at night...