Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is reality

Doom

If it exists only mentally then can you really say that it is real and not perception.

Isn't that what a hallucination or delusion is? Something that exists only in the mind of one person? :unsure2:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Doom

• Bone_Collector

• JC2

God, I hate those flashing ads!

That is my reality.

But examine the question from several aspects.

First, via eastern philosophies AND quantum physics: there is no matter, it's all sticky energy.

Our perceptions and beliefs are what manufactures the world as we see it.

All separate realities (one for each, friends) exist concurrently, since belief is the creator of the separate realities. The COMMON reality is that upon which we subconsciously agree (see Carl Jung).

As previously stated, all should try 'stopping the world'. Very enlightening experience. In doing so, one becomes completely objective (exists without a belief system for a short time). Essentially, to stop the world is to cease one's internal monologues and dialogues. In simple terms, you cease to describe the world in your own terms and simply observe it.

Then you find that your own opinion of reality is completely subjective; you also find that the definitions and descriptions of same are so much hogwash.

Try it, you'll like it!

I don't know that my way of seeing it is is correct. That is my point.

In other words Waspie, what you said means that you might not be seeing the Universal reality(assuming for a moment that it exists).

The right way of seeing the rose is reality, not my way, not your way, not the dogs way.

And which is that right way of seeing a rose, may I ask?

That right way is unaffected by me, you or the dog. Each of us has their own unique perception but that does not physically alter the Universe.

Let us assume for a moment that there is a right way. Even then, the right way as you prefer to call it, is still not perceived by any creature. Every creature is so overwhelmed and controlled by its senses that it thinks that the way it senses things IS the Universal reality and the right way odf sensing things. Our perceptions might not change reality, let us agree this too, but if you're not seeing or sensing things the right way(the Universally right way, I might add), then my friend, what you're seeing is called an illusuion and that's exactly what I'm saying.

Now, if there is no Universal reality, then everody can be as correct about it as anybody else according to their own perceptions. Nothing needs to be right, nothing needs to be wrong, all perceptions are just illusions. Can't be any more clear.

You have a very high opinion of yourself don't you?

Yeah :-)

Edited by Bone_Collector

so what is the movement of the planets around the sun, and the changing of the seasons? these would affect any life around, not just life capable of pondering the cyclic changes and wondering if it really happens.... just wondering

This is really the same thread we had a few weeks ago, on matters of objectivity. Subjectivity/perception is relative to an observer whereas objectivity/truth/reality is not.

There is no way we can observe the true nature of things, because we are inherently subjective. Because you cannot prove or observe something does not mean it doesn't exist.

Now, if there is no Universal reality, then everody can be as correct about it as anybody else according to their own perceptions. Nothing needs to be right, nothing needs to be wrong, all perceptions are just illusions. Can't be any more clear.

Yeah :-)

Correct, that is exactly what I've been saying. An individuals reallity is a perception, an illusion. Changing that perception changes the illusion of the universe not the universe itself.

As the individual has no, outside referrence point. it is impossible to know how accurate their model of the universe is.

But wouldn't other individuals act as a reference point for you to be able to tell how firmly grounded in reality your view of the universe is? :hmm:

Edited by justcallmefox

But wouldn't other individuals act as a reference point for you to be able to tell how firmly grounded in reality your view of the universe is? :hmm:

There in lies a problem. How can you even be sure that the other individuals exists? If your perception is totally false and every thing around you is a figment of your imagination how could you tell? In an imaginary world wouldn't imaginary people agree with you?

Everything you see, hear, feel, touch,smell or experience in any way is processed by your mind. If your mind is faulty there is no way you could be aware of it. This entire existence I assume to be true could be false whilst I am in reality locked in a padded cell.

Using another's sense of reality as a base for reality subject yours to be in error. The churches thought that Earth was the center of the universe , verses proff it is not is an example.