Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pendants, crystals and tarot cards etc

Lightworker2012

Do these things actually make any difference to someone who wants to awaken spiritually? Do we need them to awaken our psychic abilities?

Personally i think these things are the placebo effect because the power is within the person not an inanimate object like Moldavite.

Edited by Lightworker2012

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• novaceleste

• Grandpa Greenman

• Sherapy

• spiravdaeg

It helps when you are starting, but later on you don't need them as much.

NO.

They're tools, nothing more.

Don't worry about it too much. Just focus on results and you're good to go.

Churches use tools during worship. Witches have their tools too. It makes it easier for some. I used them for a while, but haven't for some years now.

You don't need them your greatest tool is yourself. Objects are used to focus energy. One use for them is you charge the object with your energy to work a spell while your off doing something else.

Although i'm not wiccan when i started my journey inward these were great tools i think they are okay to use with the awareness you will not need them after a time... Its kinda of like riding a bike with training wheels then you can ride on your own., wiccan or not the path is inward and its the same for us all IMO

You're right on the money SB, as usual. I still collect crystals, they are so beautiful!! ;)

You're right on the money SB, as usual. I still collect crystals, they are so beautiful!! ;)

girl i still break out the tarot cards on occassion and love dabblin in a little astrology once in a while I just now know I don't need them also for many of us the road in began with just such tools.......i ws a kid when my grandmaother tauhgt me to read the tarot its nostaligc too......

I think that is wonderful. My tarot cards don't get dusty either. lol And, well, you know I love astrology!! :D

I think that is wonderful. My tarot cards don't get dusty either. lol And, well, you know I love astrology!! :D

I hear you and its good fun it hurts noone......

I was always speptical with these things...what I mean is I was afraid of them :unsure2:

Can you do them on line???

I was always speptical with these things...what I mean is I was afraid of them :unsure2:

Can you do them on line???

Yea, I am pretty unsure about these things as well, espeically the tarot cards, I was warned when I was little about them, I can't remember exactly what was said to me but I got totally freaked out and now I just tend to stay away from these cards when I see them.

There are some spiders that use crystals outside their holes to detect whether there is dinner or an enemy outside. They hook their webs to them and they can tell by the vibrations of the crystals. I thought that was interesting.

Crystals are more than just pretty they vibrate with power of the Universe. I once used one to fix a computer. The computer was kept shutting down and changing settings. I ran anti-virus, anti-spyware, checked the temperature, and searched through all programs. I took into class and had my hardware Prof look at it. I couldn't find what was wrong. Final I took a crystal set it on top of the box. The computer started working right within a couple of days. I told my hardware teacher about it and he just shook his head and said whatever works. :)

I don't use tarot cards for divination I don't want to know the future I would rather just stumble through. I use them for Meditation.

Oh my gosh. I need a computer fixing crystal.

I'm in the process of teaching myself how to use Tarot cards, though not as a precise spiritual tool.

I miss the times were it was counted in seconds until a x-tian fanatic appeared ni topics like this acussing all of satanist that will burn in hell.....ahh, the good old times. :P

They are tools, just as novena candles, crucifixes, crosses, religious icons, etc... are. They take the subconscious mind that speaks in pictures, as it were, and focuses the conscious mind on the imagery they impart to the believer. Making the insubstantial real if it is imparted into an article they can see. It's strictly personal and while there are some that believe in the absolute necessity of these implements like Athame's, chalices, pentacles, altars, etc... it is only in the mind of the believer that gives them credence or value as an object of focus of one's faith.

Boy a question close to my heart! Do Tarot cards, crystals, crystal balls, runestones, the I Ching, pendants, oracle bones and other divinatory tools have any real purpose, are they necessary, do they have any true power? And the multitude of answers basically regarding them as no more than tools. Rather like a hammer and a pocket full of nails, huh?

There is a lot of truth in those comments considering these items as being naught but devices that aid the user. An awful lot of truth there. Sure is the case that a person who is unaffected by the symbologies, or flat-out doesn't have the slightest idea of how to use these things will have a nonmeaningful experience with these things. Kind of like giving a turtle the keys to a Porsche or something. But just like the Porsche, the trick is what it could do in the right hands.

Same as the hammer and the nails. But.....and here it comes. The hammer and nails, the Porsche all by themselves have a potential. The first to aid in the creation of something, the latter in the rapid moving of one point to the other. Both suitable analogies to any divinatory need.

Divination has been around a long long time for us humans. The tools for such purpose have evolved along with our other mechanisms we've invented. Trial and error, false-starts, wrong turns along the way and all. Such things have in the past been so regarded as embodying a force that was perceived in direct contradiction to Christianity for example that the possession of but say one runestone was punishable by death in Iceland at one time. Even to this day, I've heard the Tarot referred to as the 'Devil's Coloring Book'. All by it self a stack of cardboard with some ink and a finish on each card - somehow carries a taint to some. Reminds me of those folks who burned books in our past. The contents of those books, even unread, were dangerous to small-minded and self-serving parties.

We people place great value upon symbols and things that represent a concept. Burn a flag in the heartland of most any nation and find out just how much. Invert a cross, offer a pork-chop to a Muslim or person of the kosher Jewish faith, face west while on the Red Sea coastline at prayer time and so on. So what difference does the symbol make?

Take the cross - suppose the person so many believe in, this Christ fellow had been killed by an axe? Would people run around with a mini-Paul Bunyan blade hanging off a chain around there necks? Or suppose it'd been a sword, a guillotine, a noose, hell....how about a Saturday night special snub-nosed .38? I can see all the good people with these little tin derringers or genuflecting before a Police Special in a church. Hmmmm, does a tool, a thing made and understood to be useful in examining a life, perceiving into the future and reconciling the past have an inate force?

Having actually carved runestones, gathered bones, designed Tarot cards for my own deck - I do believe that certain things, certain views, certain symbols do indeed somehow resonate within the human mind, soul and heart. We may not all be a Caruso, but most all of us given the right note can sound great in the shower. Resonance is all. An object, a glyph that just 'rings' within is what it takes. And some things, again after many years, centuries even of trial and error have been found to have just the right shape and form.

At least that's my opinion.

post-31954-1144894518.jpg

Boy a question close to my heart! Do Tarot cards, crystals, crystal balls, runestones, the I Ching, pendants, oracle bones and other divinatory tools have any real purpose, are they necessary, do they have any true power? And the multitude of answers basically regarding them as no more than tools. Rather like a hammer and a pocket full of nails, huh?

There is a lot of truth in those comments considering these items as being naught but devices that aid the user. An awful lot of truth there. Sure is the case that a person who is unaffected by the symbologies, or flat-out doesn't have the slightest idea of how to use these things will have a nonmeaningful experience with these things. Kind of like giving a turtle the keys to a Porsche or something. But just like the Porsche, the trick is what it could do in the right hands.

Same as the hammer and the nails. But.....and here it comes. The hammer and nails, the Porsche all by themselves have a potential. The first to aid in the creation of something, the latter in the rapid moving of one point to the other. Both suitable analogies to any divinatory need.

Divination has been around a long long time for us humans. The tools for such purpose have evolved along with our other mechanisms we've invented. Trial and error, false-starts, wrong turns along the way and all. Such things have in the past been so regarded as embodying a force that was perceived in direct contradiction to Christianity for example that the possession of but say one runestone was punishable by death in Iceland at one time. Even to this day, I've heard the Tarot referred to as the 'Devil's Coloring Book'. All by it self a stack of cardboard with some ink and a finish on each card - somehow carries a taint to some. Reminds me of those folks who burned books in our past. The contents of those books, even unread, were dangerous to small-minded and self-serving parties.

We people place great value upon symbols and things that represent a concept. Burn a flag in the heartland of most any nation and find out just how much. Invert a cross, offer a pork-chop to a Muslim or person of the kosher Jewish faith, face west while on the Red Sea coastline at prayer time and so on. So what difference does the symbol make?

Take the cross - suppose the person so many believe in, this Christ fellow had been killed by an axe? Would people run around with a mini-Paul Bunyan blade hanging off a chain around there necks? Or suppose it'd been a sword, a guillotine, a noose, hell....how about a Saturday night special snub-nosed .38? I can see all the good people with these little tin derringers or genuflecting before a Police Special in a church. Hmmmm, does a tool, a thing made and understood to be useful in examining a life, perceiving into the future and reconciling the past have an inate force?

Having actually carved runestones, gathered bones, designed Tarot cards for my own deck - I do believe that certain things, certain views, certain symbols do indeed somehow resonate within the human mind, soul and heart. We may not all be a Caruso, but most all of us given the right note can sound great in the shower. Resonance is all. An object, a glyph that just 'rings' within is what it takes. And some things, again after many years, centuries even of trial and error have been found to have just the right shape and form.

At least that's my opinion.

They are tools. They are not necessary to practice metaphysics. Calling them tools is not a disrespect. They would not be anything by themselves. When we use them along with our subconscious mind, they is when they are useful. Tools they are and tools they'll be.

novaceleste,

For one stating something emphatically is not a convincing enough argument or point of debate. Admirable in character, I admit , the knowing of one's own mind and feelings; however, proof is needed to exclude all other possiblities.

So, we both need some proof to present to cause either of our cases to be the final answer. We both by our individual experiences are at divergent viewpoints. I by experience have come to recognize that there is a sound made when a tree falls in a forest whether there are ears there to hear it or not. You by your admission feel that 'no', a tree's collapsing noise only exists if the lumberjack is there to witness it. Do you see what I mean? Its essentially the same argument there as it is when one either accepts or denies the power in a symbol or an object, with or without a person to manipulate it or not.

Let's think say of a swastika. Both the Native Americans and the Asian Indian peoples had a similar symbol. Both peoples' usage and understanding of that same symbol was in sharp contrast to what that symbol evokes in the mind of people today, right? So, is the symbol by itself a container of power? Does it exist in a state of influence whether its position is assigned or described by any person anymore? You know it does. No matter where the symbol is today viewed, by whomsoever may see it, it is regarded almost on a planet-wide basis as evocative of something terrible rather than the more benign purpose it originally had.

Tarot cards are no more or less than a collection of symbols that have come to exist in the same manner. As are runestones and the symbols upon each. Time and association by man and his actions with and by them have seemingly imbued them with a certain force. Or as is my opinion, something almost tangible without the interference or need for an interpreter.

You regard such in a different fashion. Okay, if it works for you. And that is the bottom line. That very instinctual understanding that arise in the reader of such symbols or tools at once comes from within the person and due to the seemingly static presence of ink on paper.

Does a great work of art require a viewer to be beautiful? If man ceased to exist, would the painting or sculpture still have a force, a purpose, a value? I feel yes is the answer. What do you value, does a historical personage hold great merit in your heart or mind? Suppose you could say have pencil that once belonged to William Shakespeare and you were a lover of poetry and plays? Would that archaic and obsolete tool hold a value greater that an Number 2 Empire (the common yellow pencil used in schools)? To you if you were a writer, a lover of that art - the answer would be pretty obvious. Things do carry with them some attachment to what has come before. As do symbols.

Not all tools are merely things dependent upon a user to make them carry or hold a worth, a power that is merely obvious.

Nice though to debate tonight, I must say.

post-31954-1144896261.jpg

Crystal and herbs hold magickal properties, yes. The other things mentioned are simply not necessary to awaken your psychic abilities. That is what the question the thread starter asked.

I had a Great Aunt who could tell the future with a regular deck of cards. I know she did mine and hit it right on the money every time. They where the same cards she used to play poker with. Nothing special just a set of cards from the drug store. It wasn't the cards they were just a tool for her energy.

As far as Art being sacred to anything outside the human species to a pigeon a statue is just something to poop on. I wonder how many Van Gogh's were lost because people didn't regard them as art. When it comes to an object it is dependent on people to make it valuable. If you didn’t know a pen belonged to Shakespeare then it is just an old pen with no more value than any other old pen.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys crack me up! Is the sky blue? Maybe blue green? Who cares? It is human nature to argue and debate....but I must ask, what do you guys think of the Psychic circle spirit board? I cannot get mine to work for the life of me unless three people are there on it, and even then, only outside of my house, and only certain people. I am so very frustrated! I want so bad for this to work...but man, I know that I am a little psychic, and I meditate every day, and I cleanse my chakras often..what on earth is happening here? I have heard of so many people doing it no problem, help!

You guys crack me up! Is the sky blue? Maybe blue green? Who cares? It is human nature to argue and debate....but I must ask, what do you guys think of the Psychic circle spirit board? I cannot get mine to work for the life of me unless three people are there on it, and even then, only outside of my house, and only certain people. I am so very frustrated! I want so bad for this to work...but man, I know that I am a little psychic, and I meditate every day, and I cleanse my chakras often..what on earth is happening here? I have heard of so many people doing it no problem, help!

firefly66, just let things be, when the time is right it will happen. You will likely experience the first happenings during times of trouble. Spirit will guide you you likely have heard the old saying "all things in good time"

twopits