Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do your deceased loved ones visit in dreams?

nycrican

HI Everyone:

I have always had dreams in which deceased friends and relatives show up. I am always delighted to see them and immeadiately ask them why they are here because they are supposed to be dead. They never answer my question but just start to join me in whatever I am doing in the dream when they appear.

I have seen my dad so many times in the dreams, he passed away 20 years ago. I have had dreams with my father in law who twice has given me a big hug and it just felt so good. He passed away about 5 years ago.

I have seen my younger sister who passed away 8 years ago in my dreams. In one of the dreams, I told her to go away because she was bugging me as younger sisters do in real life. When I woke up, I thought to myself that I should never have asked her to leave because the time she was spending with me was extra precious time that a lot of people do not get.

I recently told my sisters and mom about my dreams, they live in another state. Both were shocked because they do not have dreams with deceased people. When I told my mother in law about getting a hug from her deceased husband, she was also shocked and even a little jealous.

So my question is, do you have dreams with your deceased love ones? Who were they and please describe a few if you can.

I agree with the others they are visiting you as you sleep, you must have some medium abilities.

I think if they (passed loved ones) want to make their selves known, or send a message it will be done.. It depends on whether the person sees it as that, or blows it off as just a dream..

hello everyone, i had this dream quite a while ago, i'm not sure if it was 1 or 2 years ago. i dream t about it but only made it out as a bad dream i never thought anything of it till now.

in my dream it was night, my mother and sister in the kitchen cooking, (this isn't unusual because my mother owns a catering company and often my sister and i help her) well, i for some reason was laying down on the couch and my mother and sister just carried on no big deal. Then our front door opens and my great grandfather, ( i discovered who he was a few weeks later) walks in. i try to get up and warn or say something important to my mother, but i realize i cant move i'm completely paralyzed. my great grandfather, is very pale and doesn't say anything, all he does is walk around and look at everyone, he is starring at me but doesn't say anything and walks toward me i try to run but i am still frozen. Still trying to speak to my mother my voice is paralyzed as well....then i wake up.

i really don't understand this dream and i don't even know why i had it, i never met my great grandfather he passed away long before i was born, but the only thing ive ever seen with him in it is a picture of his face which hangs over my mothers piano. but for some reason every time i am visited by my relatives, or even dream of them they aren't happy dreams they usually are foreboding dreams which bug me like something horrible is to happen. And they are always so odd. Can anyone help me with this?? Thanks!! :)

Edited by occultus sententia

I think if they (passed loved ones) want to make their selves known, or send a message it will be done.. It depends on whether the person sees it as that, or blows it off as just a dream..

Yeah thats very true. My mum saw her dad for years after he died, but could never understand why. But after i gave her my perspective on it, it made sense to her. The only people i have seen in my dreams who have passed away are my grandparents on my dads side, and i heard my grandmother on my mums side.

I hadnt seen my dads parents since i was 4yrs old in greece. I vaguely remember their faces. In my dream, i woke up and saw them infront of me. They were see though, and glowing blue. ( yeah, too much star wars lol) They had tears in their eyes, but they were happy tears. They gave me a hug, then i woke up.

I saw my mothers mum not too long ago. Long story short, i was asleep. Suddenly i couldnt see anything, but in the distance i could hear a voice. I knew straight away who the voice belonged to. So i concentrated as hard as i could, so i could tell mum what i heard. My grandmother spoke to me in greek. But what she said has 2 meanings. She said, when u die, it doesnt hurt. Now i dont know if she meant after ur dead u dont feel pain, or if it meant the process of dying doesnt hurt. After that she said, " Im fine"

I think people who have an issue with u, either good or bad, if the feeling is strong enough, they would try to find u.

in my dream it was night, my mother and sister in the kitchen cooking, (this isn't unusual because my mother owns a catering company and often my sister and i help her) well, i for some reason was laying down on the couch and my mother and sister just carried on no big deal. Then our front door opens and my great grandfather, ( i discovered who he was a few weeks later) walks in. i try to get up and warn or say something important to my mother, but i realize i cant move i'm completely paralyzed. my great grandfather, is very pale and doesn't say anything, all he does is walk around and look at everyone, he is starring at me but doesn't say anything and walks toward me i try to run but i am still frozen. Still trying to speak to my mother my voice is paralyzed as well....then i wake up.

That's interesting. I become paralyzed in these sorts of dreams also. Its always just me in my dreams, though. No one in my living family is ever around. Does the paralyzing sensation terrify you? Has it happened more than once? If so, have you ever been able to snap out of it and talk? I've had many dreams like these since I was a little girl, and in time I was able to regain "movement" and speak. I was also eventually able to sense when those sorts of dreams were going to happen. Needless to say, I don't let them happen any more. The initial paralyzed aspect is just too frightening. Plus, they aren't always people I know or who were in my family.

I had one recently that seemed very real. My Grandma died recently. In the dream a cloud of energy was floating over me in bed. Somehow I knew it was my Grandma, and it didn't scare me at all. It was about 3 feet above me, and all the sudden it rushed down into me. I felt this strange sensation as it passed through me. I was tingling all over and my heart was racing.

I could still feel it as I woke up. I was sweating a little, breathing heavy, and my heart was pumping out of my chest. I dont think it was anything supernatural, but it is amazing how real a dream can seem. I still have my doubts.

That's interesting. I become paralyzed in these sorts of dreams also. Its always just me in my dreams, though. No one in my living family is ever around. Does the paralyzing sensation terrify you? Has it happened more than once? If so, have you ever been able to snap out of it and talk? I've had many dreams like these since I was a little girl, and in time I was able to regain "movement" and speak. I was also eventually able to sense when those sorts of dreams were going to happen. Needless to say, I don't let them happen any more. The initial paralyzed aspect is just too frightening. Plus, they aren't always people I know or who were in my family.

the not being able to move does terrify me immensely. i wish i was able to move and i think it was the only time that it happened to me frightening me even more, i had never experienced that before, it was only that one time if it does happen again though i will post it. and i never did know him, as i said he passed away long before i was even born. and when i woke up i was still in a state of shock the dream alarmed me. i remember getting up and checking all the windows and doors.

• 2 weeks later...

my father visits me in my dreams once in a while. He passed away November 27, 2005. He and I were as close as a father and son could be and I had a very hard time letting go. During one dream he and I were talking and he was telling me how great heaven was and he showed me his new feet. They looked alot like mine. He was diabetic and he lost 7 toes to it. In fact, I just had a dream with him in it about an hour or so ago. It is very comforting and I feel that I can let him go from my day to day life.

Great stories and dreams y'all.

I wish my dad would visit :( He passed away last July and we had a lot of unfinished "business" - when I found out that he died it was over a year since I last spoke to him.. Mum and dad split up a long time ago, dad was an alcoholic and we never really got on, had quite a few arguments etc. I never told him I was getting married and never invited him to the wedding and now I'm starting to maybe regret that... I dunno.

I just hope he is at peace, wherever he is..

HI Everyone:

I have always had dreams in which deceased friends and relatives show up. I am always delighted to see them and immeadiately ask them why they are here because they are supposed to be dead. They never answer my question but just start to join me in whatever I am doing in the dream when they appear.

I have seen my dad so many times in the dreams, he passed away 20 years ago. I have had dreams with my father in law who twice has given me a big hug and it just felt so good. He passed away about 5 years ago.

I have seen my younger sister who passed away 8 years ago in my dreams. In one of the dreams, I told her to go away because she was bugging me as younger sisters do in real life. When I woke up, I thought to myself that I should never have asked her to leave because the time she was spending with me was extra precious time that a lot of people do not get.

I recently told my sisters and mom about my dreams, they live in another state. Both were shocked because they do not have dreams with deceased people. When I told my mother in law about getting a hug from her deceased husband, she was also shocked and even a little jealous.

So my question is, do you have dreams with your deceased love ones? Who were they and please describe a few if you can.

Im happy for you..I too have visits in my dreams...Relative, friend and past Pets.

Blessings.....

I have many dreams of dead people. It is common. I do write the dreams down on paper. It's usually nightmares. Nightmares is fascinating to remember in the next day. Here is one of my dreams...

Jan 17, 2002,4:38 am: My daughter and I were walking through the house that I used to live in when I was little in northern Manitoba. All the people that were in the house were deceased or Dead. There were my mother, my father, my grandparents(on both sides), my bro Bill (train accident), and a sister (adopted into the family. She had died in a house fire. The kids were playing by the water heater), my aunts(all died of cancer),..and a relative(I was surprised that he was in the dream and I think he died in a shower). They were all happy to see Angela, and she had to walk to each one for a hug, all except for Bill, because he had something incredible to tell me. Bill instructs me to go outside and look at the sky. I went out to the lawn, I see this large reddish brown moon that is colliding with our own moon. It was going from the east in the sky, and it resembled of one of Jupiter’s moons, Io. I had this incredible uncanny feeling by seeing this enormous moon. I could see volcanoes and craters. It was quite alien. The street was frenzied with people driving up the street at high speeds and running. There were some people that were looking up and pointing at it. I had went back into the house and the rooms were illumining a crimson color and I find Angela all alone.

I had wrote the dream in a matchbook with an broken pencil..

Edited by primordial

Yes! My dad passed away 14 months ago and I dreamt of him often when I was grieving. It usually was to tell me that he was okay and not hurting anymore. As time passes, I occasionally have a dream of him but nothing like the first few months of his passing.

my mom's mom died a while ago when she was a kid, and before i was born, she had miscarriaged twins, and my aunt(mom's sis) woke up one morning and walked into the kitchen and saw their mom holding two babies and told her "tell your sister everything is going to be ok"

Well my sister had a dream of our grandfather, He passed away 3-4 years ago of cancer, they were pretty close. My sister said that he was talking to her and asking her to come with her, but my sister said no and then she just woke up. She couldn't really explain much because she didn't remember much of the dream. She later told me about this, she looked shaken and scared..but later I took her out for a walk to comfort her.

But ye, I don't think I'd want to experience something like that.

Edited by Marmik

Well my sister had a dream of our grandfather, He passed away 3-4 years ago of cancer, they were pretty close. My sister said that he was talking to her and asking her to come with her, but my sister said no and then she just woke up. She couldn't really explain much because she didn't remember much of the dream. She later told me about this, she looked shaken and scared..but later I took her out for a walk to comfort her.

But ye, I don't think I'd want to experience something like that.

Im not saying it was,....but sneaky bad spirits can come in disquise as our loved ones too to fool us.

It sometimes isnt easy to tell the difference, but if the case, this would have based on how it left her feeling.....

Im so sorry for you loss...But remember our love ones are never more than a thought away..and around us quite frequently.....Talk to them, even if you cant hear them answer..They hear you!

I'm still waiting for my dream, it's been 8 years and not a single dream. :hmm: which is odd in itself because this person is constantly on my mind all day long.

I did have a dream a couple of weeks ago where by some heavenly being came to me and said I was going to get sick, then die and it was nearly my time to go. I said "I don't want to be ill, just let me go quickly please".

Hmmmm. I'll keep you posted on that one.

I'm still waiting for my dream, it's been 8 years and not a single dream. :hmm: which is odd in itself because this person is constantly on my mind all day long.

I did have a dream a couple of weeks ago where by some heavenly being came to me and said I was going to get sick, then die and it was nearly my time to go. I said "I don't want to be ill, just let me go quickly please".

Hmmmm. I'll keep you posted on that one.

They come when you least expect....

I have never had a visit from my gram, who was gifted...so I expected an absolute from her...But never came...

Then had a visit from lady I worked with...which I didnt expect. She passed several yrs ago and hadnt been thinking of her at all around the time she came...

And last night a visit from my neighbors dog which passed about 7 yrs ago and wasnt even thinking about....

Sally....Black and White Coon Hound.

I cant explain who comes or why, only that they come if they know you are open to it ..... Its almost like they choose you... I just dont understand why gram never came?????? Puzzles me and hurts sometimes.... With her being gifted and me sensitive etc... I would have thought her for sure..... :(

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm...

i've noticed somethng strange about my dreams lately. Ever since i got into the habit of writting my dreams i've notived that i'm never really in them. i dont know how to explain this, i'm in them like my body is there, but i never an actually in my body. i am usually watching everything from somewhere else. sort of like a movie, but weirder. i'm just wondering if that is normal and happens to evryone or just me. i asked my relatives they all say it's never really happened to them. also, have your dreams ever been narrorated? it has happened loads of times to me my dreams are told in the form of a story, and usually contain somne story aswell. i don't know maybe it's just me....

This is no $hit,i swear..

i was close to my daddy,real close.i was the youngest of 4 kids,i'd almost died a few times when i was little

so he spoiled me rotten.i had knee surgery in 1991,and when i went under,i saw my daddy,and we talked for what seemed

like a day.when i woke back up,it had been less than an hour.but we talked.the doctor told me my blood pressure

had spiked in the middle of surgery for about a minute,but without the drs doing one thing,it went down to a normal

rate.i think my daddy came to me during surgery and calmed me down so i would'nt die.

HI Everyone:

Absolutely!

Here's a link to a topic I started a little while ago regarding some visitations I've had from my Mom, who died this past January from cancer:

Messages from the Afterlife

Many of my experiences were when I was awake, but Mom has visited me during sleep, too. In my dreams, I'd be telling her, "What are you doing here, you're supposed to be in heaven!?!" She'd just smile and carry on happily, being healthy and happy in my dreams.

My experiences brought me great joy, until the last one, which sort of aggravated me. I was stuck in sleep paralysis, which almost never happens to me--I can't remember the last time it had--and my mother was standing at the foot of my bed, whacking away at my feet to get my attention. I remember thinking that I must get my husband to wake me up so I can tell her to stop 'cause she was bothering me! She finally stopped, and I haven't had any experiences since then--neither sleeping or waking. I'm worried that she thinks she scared me, so she's leaving me alone. Of course, I think she has tons of stuff to do other than to whack at my feet during the night.

Take these dreams as blessings and messages. I also had several dreams of a family friend who was a priest, and died of cancer about 15 years ago. He kept coming to me to get me to give a message to another family member. It took me a while to figure it out, and once I passed on the message, he never came back in my dreams.

I have no doubt that our loved ones are still there, waiting for us. It's a very comforting and beautiful feeling. Since my mom's visitations, my grief has passed significantly, and I feel joy for her being in heaven.

Great stories and dreams y'all.

I wish my dad would visit :( He passed away last July and we had a lot of unfinished "business" - when I found out that he died it was over a year since I last spoke to him.. Mum and dad split up a long time ago, dad was an alcoholic and we never really got on, had quite a few arguments etc. I never told him I was getting married and never invited him to the wedding and now I'm starting to maybe regret that... I dunno.

I just hope he is at peace, wherever he is..

Dewlanna--don't worry, he is.

I wish he would tell you himself, and someday he might.

I have three other sisters, and I seemed to be the only one that was receiving the messages from Mom. Mom came to me, and even though I didn't actually hear her words, I knew what she was thinking. She told me that the reason why she was sending me these messages was because she new she wouldn't scare me, and that I would be more accepting than my other sisters, and I would pass on the messages to them.

I think they choose those who they know are ready to receive the messages without causing uneasiness or fear. Or, who knows why...but just keep talking to them, and paying attention to signs that they are around. The more "aware" you become, the more you are able to feel them. I would increase my prayer life, too--to protect you from spirits that may not be healthy for you to come in contact with.

Edited by HowdyDoo

my grandma visited me once in my dreams, all i remember is i was on a couch, almost documentary style, an my grandma walks over an sits on the couch, an tells me how proud she was of me, an she seemed very happy. an then i woke up , it was in the middle of the night an i was like, was that real? because i never have any dreams like that, it had a light,warm sense to the dream as if it was taking place in the clouds. really weird.

Hi everyone,

I just found this message board through a Google search and it's great! My father passed away July 13, 2006 and while I was grieving I hoped and hoped he'd come to me in a dream, but he never did. My husband and I went to Europe 3 weeks ago for our 2 year anniversary and when we were at the top of the Eiffel Tower I heard a man behind me say he was from the same town my dad lived in. That night I had an awful dream that my father had died and my mother and step-mother had hidden it from my brother and I. When I woke up I thought my dad was still alive until reality set in and I realized that wasn't the case. Since having that dream in Paris about 1 week ago I've had more dreams with dad in them. Lots I can't remember, just know that he was there. But I did have one 2 nights ago where my dad was smoking cigarettes with me (which would NEVER happen as he was a doctor and hated smoking) and I know there was something about lung cancer in that dream. I think it's my dad's way of telling me to quit smoking or I'm going to die of lung cancer...that'd be very much like him ;)

I can't help but wonder though...is there some reason that dad's coming through 2 years after his death? I wonder if there's something he needs me to do or something?

Hi everyone,

I just found this message board through a Google search and it's great! My father passed away July 13, 2006 and while I was grieving I hoped and hoped he'd come to me in a dream, but he never did. My husband and I went to Europe 3 weeks ago for our 2 year anniversary and when we were at the top of the Eiffel Tower I heard a man behind me say he was from the same town my dad lived in. That night I had an awful dream that my father had died and my mother and step-mother had hidden it from my brother and I. When I woke up I thought my dad was still alive until reality set in and I realized that wasn't the case. Since having that dream in Paris about 1 week ago I've had more dreams with dad in them. Lots I can't remember, just know that he was there. But I did have one 2 nights ago where my dad was smoking cigarettes with me (which would NEVER happen as he was a doctor and hated smoking) and I know there was something about lung cancer in that dream. I think it's my dad's way of telling me to quit smoking or I'm going to die of lung cancer...that'd be very much like him ;)

I can't help but wonder though...is there some reason that dad's coming through 2 years after his death? I wonder if there's something he needs me to do or something?

Hi Dizzy,

Welcome to the board!!!

From what I understand, sometimes there is a period of "introduction" for them upon arrival.

The funniest thing happen with my Dad too... I am very often visited by those in my dreams. My Dad however didnt arrive promptly...When he finally did, I asked wht took him so long because I had been waiting for him to come... His response was " Ive been busy you know"....

So i guess that answered my question...Hes been gone now 2 1/2 years and I havent had another from him since the first one...

My gram who was gifted never came...and I always wondered why... That tears me up...Her and my Gramps were my favorite to me...

Ive had visits from my past cat and my horse and a friend I worked with and a past boyfriend who died this past year...so i really get my share...but really long to hear from Gram. As much as I call to her to come.....

Perhaps she has already come back again????

Blessings honey

I dream about my dog, who died 14 years ago. I loved that animal the same as I love my own children- at the time of her death I was 13-years-old and she was the most precious thing I had. Sometimes in my dreams she is very old and I know she is going to die, whereas sometimes I am simply holding her. These dreams have helped relieve the pain I endured with her loss.

I have dreamt of a friend who died 18 months ago- in one dream we were just walking through a store with a mutual friend, nothing really dramatic. But in another dream I told her she was dead, and she said plain as day, "I'm not dead." And it wasn't the idea that she's living in eternal life and therefore she "wasn't dead," I got the impression that she really didn't realize she was dead. I told one of our friends of this and explained my concern that our friend didn't realize she had died, and my friend said, "She knows she's dead. She knew she was going to die. Awhile before she died she finally got baptized, visited her deceased father's grave quite frequently, and even said to me one day, 'I have this feeling that something bad is going to happen to me.' And I've dreamt of her, asked her how she is and she said, 'they've got me in this room.'" I don't know what to think of any of this, and I haven't dreamt of her again, but I am still a little concerned that she doesn't understand she's died.

I also dreamt of an Aunt who passed last July. I wasn't very close with this relative so I was surprised she came to me of all people. I too believe that those who have passed choose to communicate with people who are more open to recieving the communication. In my dream I walked into the living room where my Aunt was sitting in her usual chair and I was extremely surprised because I knew she had died. I smiled at her and asked her how she was. She said, "I'm good," and then I woke up.

I have also dreamt of a family friend who we referred to as Aunt. In my dreams this woman never says anything to me. The last dream I had of her she was sitting next to a man I didn't recognize. I'm thinking it was someone trying to communicate with me but didn't know how because I didn't know who he was or who I knew who also knew him to send a message.

Very wierd I think.