Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is that really water?

bomb1288

the brain can feel pain without any outside reasons

No, do you have any basis? I do..There are no pain receptors in the brain, it cannot CREATE pain...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• bomb1288

• thecreeper

• Stellar

than why do I wake up in the middle of the night with a headache :hmm:

Uhhh, its a headache...nothing to do with your dreams :tu:

than why do my legs and left hurt when I wake up :hmm:

Edited by thecreeper

In a sense, yes

No, in no sense does it not exist, I assure you.

It cannot be...its physically impossible without external stimulation

Are you illiterate? I just said that it doesnt matter if there was external stimulation, there very well could have, the point however is that the pain WAS felt in the dream!

Images created by your brain...Sight is different. The thing is, the brain cannot create pain w/o stimulation.

It is not different at all. Sight needs external stimulation aswell. The brain, however, processes this stimulation, and turns it into the images we see, just as the brain processes the impulses and turns them into the sensation of pain.

Nothing

But I did feel an unpleasant sensation, which means pain. So what was it if it wasnt pain, hmm?

I think...wait, I AM SURE I know more about neurology than anyone else here

The arrogance is astounding. How are you sure, hmm?

Take out your pons, and see how long it takes you to"come back to life" again like they do in games

And thats the whole point. No one wants to take that chance. Some people believe that after death, they go to heaven. This "virtual reality" thing is along the same thing, except from a more technological stand point than from a spiritual standpoint. You apparently do now have the ability to see this whole subject for what it is. No one here is saying that if you, say, shoot yourself in the head you'll be resurrected. The subject, however, lies on the assumption that if this is a virtual reality, death is like the exit out of this virtual reality. You, for some reason, are not able to acknowledge the depth of the subject, and you expect us to take your word on things as if you were a neurologist?

Unless you had an external stimulation, you cannot

But it does not matter if I did have external stimulation, the point is I've felt pain in my dreams. Plain and simple as that.

No, your brain makes images up..but thats different. The Brain cannot make pain w/o a stimulus.

It is no different. It is exactly the same thing.

Which is caused by external stimulation.

So is sight.

W/o stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system, you cannot feel pain. Maybe the pain you felt was when you accidently stubbed a toe or somethinf while in REM sleep. Stage 1 Brain waves during REM only respond to stimuli...it cannot create pain

What you fail to understand is, just like with sight, it is not the nerves relaying the stimuli to the brain that create the pain, it is the brain that interprets the impulses and turn them into the sensation of pain, or sight. That is also why theres such thing as emotional pain. With emotional pain, theres no nerves being stimulated by anything external, but the pain exists...

No, do you have any basis? I do..There are no pain receptors in the brain, it cannot CREATE pain...

Pain receptors are not needed because the brain translates the impulses from the receptors and turns them into pain. There are no light receptors in the brain, but the brain can still make images...

Are you illiterate? I just said that it doesnt matter if there was external stimulation, there very well could have, the point however is that the pain WAS felt in the dream!

Images created by your brain...Sight is different. The thing is, the brain cannot create pain w/o stimulation.

It is not different at all. Sight needs external stimulation aswell. The brain, however, processes this stimulation, and turns it into the images we see, just as the brain processes the impulses and turns them into the sensation of pain.

Nothing

But I did feel an unpleasant sensation, which means pain. So what was it if it wasnt pain, hmm?

I think...wait, I AM SURE I know more about neurology than anyone else here

The arrogance is astounding. How are you sure, hmm?

Take out your pons, and see how long it takes you to"come back to life" again like they do in games

And thats the whole point. No one wants to take that chance. Some people believe that after death, they go to heaven. This "virtual reality" thing is along the same thing, except from a more technological stand point than from a spiritual standpoint. You apparently do now have the ability to see this whole subject for what it is. No one here is saying that if you, say, shoot yourself in the head you'll be resurrected. The subject, however, lies on the assumption that if this is a virtual reality, death is like the exit out of this virtual reality. You, for some reason, are not able to acknowledge the depth of the subject, and you expect us to take your word on things as if you were a neurologist?

Unless you had an external stimulation, you cannot

But it does not matter if I did have external stimulation, the point is I've felt pain in my dreams. Plain and simple as that.

No, your brain makes images up..but thats different. The Brain cannot make pain w/o a stimulus.

It is no different. It is exactly the same thing.

Which is caused by external stimulation.

So is sight.

W/o stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system, you cannot feel pain. Maybe the pain you felt was when you accidently stubbed a toe or somethinf while in REM sleep. Stage 1 Brain waves during REM only respond to stimuli...it cannot create pain

What you fail to understand is, just like with sight, it is not the nerves relaying the stimuli to the brain that create the pain, it is the brain that interprets the impulses and turn them into the sensation of pain, or sight. That is also why theres such thing as emotional pain. With emotional pain, theres no nerves being stimulated by anything external, but the pain exists...

Pain receptors are not needed because the brain translates the impulses from the receptors and turns them into pain. There are no light receptors in the brain, but the brain can still make images...

I think you are missing my point. The thing is, the brain cannot create pain without external stimulation. So if we were all virtual, there would be no pain...like Video Games. We feel pain, therefore we are real. Since we are real, therefore we are not virtual.

I think you are missing my point.

I quite assure you, I am not missing any point.

The thing is, the brain cannot create pain without external stimulation. So if we were all virtual, there would be no pain...like Video Games. We feel pain, therefore we are real. Since we are real, therefore we are not virtual.

*sigh* You fail to take into account that, if this is all virtual, the brain as we know it, along with how it works, is all virtual as well and not necessairly representative of reality.

ooook so first let me establish where i am on this.....i believe that we are infact in the "real world" n not sum sort of matrix design, and although i wouldnt stop for a second to think otherwise, i do think it is possible.

now, onto my argument for the matrix style world.....

so ppl have been saying that "how come i can feel things" and "in dreams u cant feel things", BUT wat if that was the laws of a so called matrix that we are in, cos we wouldnt know what being in the real world was like, we could be like lil sponge people losing the loss of our limbs because we dnt use them and therefore would have plugged ourselves hundreds of generations ago into these machines

and my argument for the "real" world

well i dnt really have one, but im just sure of it that we live in a world not directly created by computers, plus how could u manipulate the mind for such things, and if we could wouldnt we program really kool superpowers lol!

also, off topic a lil...but does any1 remember being asked as a child in school to draw wat we think the human race would look like in the future??...i drew a sponge like thing...described above lol.....just asking is all

*sigh* You fail to take into account that, if this is all virtual, the brain as we know it, along with how it works, is all virtual as well and not necessairly representative of reality.

You are missing this then. Virtuality would render senses useless. We wouldn't feel pain. We wouldn't need them.

If anyone believes this BS... :no:

Virtuality would render senses useless. We wouldn't feel pain. We wouldn't need them.

And why's that?

Its a waste...Do you feel pain in a video game? No.

I truly hope you do not believe this stuff...

Its a waste...

Why is it a waste? So what if it is? That doesnt mean anything.

Do you feel pain in a video game? No.

No, not yet at least. Many of the "video games" the military is now using to simulate an attack and such while in garrison actually are looking TO make the soldiers feel pain when they get hit... And what does it matter if you feel pain in a video game or not? Its completely irrelelvant.

I truly hope you do not believe this stuff...

No, but I believe in the possibility of it.

This is going in circles...Well, if it floats your boat, so be it.

The fact that the "soul" is unharnessable...no.

Its not real pain. There are no physical stimulii of neurons.

Well if it feels like real pain, and it hurts, I would think it's safe to say it's "real" pain regardless of what's causing it.

Edited by ZeroShadow

Thos are just random impulses generated from stimuli outside the body while asleep. The mind tends to link them to your dreams.

i agree with purplo... Interesting.

I am in fact in my teenage yoars, and i started this thread.

very interesting.

Sorry, wrong quote

Well you know....

If we didnot create computers and the internet and such...

You wouldnot go like "what if we live in a virtual world ?"

But even if we didnot create spaceships we would say "What if we could reach the moon" ?

There is no evidence that we live in an application and that is enough for me.

I think there has to be an equilibrium in the Universe. Everything has a double, better or worse.

We have a physical, and non-physical. The 2 distinctions are "perception" and "imagination". Both work all the time, and you use one and the other to distinct between the "reality" and "dream/imagination". Which means, water is really water because chemical bonds hold them together. Our imagination can try and disprove this fact, creating a theory, which then can either be proved or remain a theory.

It is optional what you chose to believe. Whether or not it is "real" is up to you.