Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diet and Excercise

AdNauseamSuiGeneris

Well I was browsing through the Vegetarian section, and I decided to make this. Not only as a way to give advice to others on what is healthy and what is good to avoid, but to get advice as well. I just started my own diet, basically after being disgusted with myself for eating fast food at least once a day since I could drive (almost 5 years now). It's always so hard to eat well going to work rushing between errands, ect, but for the past few weeks I've been very succesful, have seen my energy levels rise, don't need as much sleep (used to need at least 10 hours to function, now 7 is fine and dandy) and can think much more clearly.

Basically, the most common things I eat are as follows:

Turkey breast, lean beef (anything with round or top in it), sweet potatoes, soy, olive oil, black beans, green tea, eggs, milk, lots and lots of water (I probably range in the 2 gallons a day range, when I'm inside my house I go on average every half hour, broccli, tomatoes, salmon, green beans, grapes, kiwi, strawberrys, carrots, romain lettuce (iceberg has little to no nutritional value, just "dead" calories). I have an amazing attachment to pomegranate juice ("wine of the gods"). Also in my diet is wheat bread (I like it alot because it's alot slower to digest, really good for dipping in a bowl of veggie soup), almonds, yogurt (Yoplait), spinach, oatmeal (Mccans Irish Oats, Quakers has way too much added sugars in it and I think that the dried up fruit is suspicios as well, I add my own), blueberries, bananas, watermelon, cantelope, grapefruit, oranges, brussle sprouts, corn, o.j. and when I can ever find it Okra.

Those are probably the most common foods I eat on a regular basis. For sweets fruit usually satisfies me, dark coco is a good snack too, and it's even good for you. I like animal crackers too, compared to most other sweets they are very moderate in calories and sugar level. But I do love cheesecake :no:

Things I stay away from are basically all potatp chips, cookies, candy, ect. I binge occasionally when I'm with my buddies but they are not something that appear in my day to day. I don't eat white bread anymore, and I don't eat rice much. In my opinion, they are just alot of calories with no real nutritional value. Same goes for alot of pasta, but I eat that on occasions where the whole family comes over and eats, I mean I'm half Italian, can't escape it. I don't eat canned fruit, that syrup it is stored in seems suspicious to me. Mostly I stick to things that are low in calories but high in nutritional value.

It's hard to keep straight to this though, I deviate everyonce in a while, I switched cold turkey one day, from eating crap to this, and I had major headaches, digestion problems, about everything you could think of, but after a week I have never felt as good as I do now. I have had horrible asthma problems previously and that has disapeared. I've dropped enough fat and gained enough muscle to notice a giant difference, in only two weeks. I also suppliment, I take a multi viatamin every day and I also talke fish oil pills that have omega-3 fatty acids in them. I'm still researching other types of suppliments, I don't want to take anything that I don't know for sure is good for me. Also, make sure if you use fish oil that the brand you are using did not test positive for mercury.

Now for excercise. I try to do it every day. In highschool I was on cross country and track depending on the time of year. I could run a mile in under 5 minutes, my longest run was an attempt at a marathon, ran all 26 miles of it, and I used to run on average 7 miles a day. I started this past week and made it two blocks before I had to walk :cry: I'm starting over but I am doing it everyday (I rest on Sundays, and no biblical reference there). I am trying to work out with weights 3 times a week as well, but I think alot of the time I may have to settle with 2 times. I don't have the time to spend at the gym, the things I do are jumprope, pull ups, dips, push ups, I do have a weight set and use them for my arms and chest. Also I do alot of variations of crunches. Differnt types work different muscles, some work the true core, others only the superficial "six pack."

But yeah, this is my routine, anyone have any tips to help me improve (or praise :P )

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AdNauseamSuiGeneris

• Sherapy

• novaceleste

• Bigfoot_Is_Real

What do I eat?? I'm a vegan. Most of my meals come from my backyard. :tu:

When do I work out? never.

What do I eat?? I'm a vegan. Most of my meals come from my backyard. :tu:

When do I work out? never.

I'm actually making a garden this year, I've never done it before so I'm sticking to flowers and shrubbery this year and will work my way up to edible plants. But, it's tough where I live, its a well developed suburb, I have the problems of everything all combined. I have a half acre of land, enough for a small patch of tomatoes or something, but we have harsh winters, get hurricanes every now and then, and I have ALOT of wildlife in my backyard, deer, racoons, rabbits, birds of all types, possums, occasionally a stray dog or cat. I think before I can grow a veggie garden I have to fence in my whole back yard and then make a seperate fence for the garden.

I have always thought excercise is really important, granted time periods pass where I hardly do any, but I always feel so gratified after a nice run, or after I have new calices after lifting weights.

rage i'm a vegan also just like Nova (hey girl) ((((hugs))))) RAge hyper and myself are devout committed vegans you should read our thread ethical eating and on the vegetarian thread we contributed alot to it.....I also excersice everyday, so does Hyper lol

rage i'm a vegan also just like Nova (hey girl) ((((hugs))))) RAge hyper and myself are devout committed vegans you should read our thread ethical eating and on the vegetarian thread we contributed alot to it.....I also excersice everyday, so does Hyper lol

I admit I have little interest in becoming a vegan or a vegitarian. I do buy eggs that are certified organic from free ranged chickens. I don't mind that animals are killed to feed me, it's the way they do it and the conditions they are made to live in before. I've seen alot of the PETA videos, and it's horrible how many are treated, but also the fact they are covered in their own feces makes me want to use my floor cleaner on my meat occasionally. Sadly I don't know where to get any type of organic dairy or meat products.

I eat the norm diet of Mcdonalds

I'm actually making a garden this year, I've never done it before so I'm sticking to flowers and shrubbery this year and will work my way up to edible plants. But, it's tough where I live, its a well developed suburb, I have the problems of everything all combined. I have a half acre of land, enough for a small patch of tomatoes or something, but we have harsh winters, get hurricanes every now and then, and I have ALOT of wildlife in my backyard, deer, racoons, rabbits, birds of all types, possums, occasionally a stray dog or cat. I think before I can grow a veggie garden I have to fence in my whole back yard and then make a seperate fence for the garden.

I have always thought excercise is really important, granted time periods pass where I hardly do any, but I always feel so gratified after a nice run, or after I have new calices after lifting weights.

I think excercise is important too. I'm just not able to. :(

I admit I have little interest in becoming a vegan or a vegitarian. I do buy eggs that are certified organic from free ranged chickens. I don't mind that animals are killed to feed me, it's the way they do it and the conditions they are made to live in before. I've seen alot of the PETA videos, and it's horrible how many are treated, but also the fact they are covered in their own feces makes me want to use my floor cleaner on my meat occasionally. Sadly I don't know where to get any type of organic dairy or meat products.

Rage most (90 %) of the meat also is irridated (nuked) because of the extreme unhealthy conditions that the animals are raised in on top of the hormones and antibiotics used to combat some of the diseease and tumours and open sores of these animals well the meat is not the best and after its nuked most of the nutrients are gone also meat has no fiber and no complex carbohydrates very important to the diet....Rage eggs don't get me started lol Read vegetarins for dummies :tu: I became vegetarian to evolve to vegan for ethical reasons the food supply , it wouldn't be until i started investigating taht i canme to learn of the horrors of animals the way they are treated...I have heard many sources say you 'd be better off eating out of your toilet than eating meat..of course its opinion...i have gained amazing health and have completely gotten rid of serious things i had.....

Rage most (90 %) of the meat also is irridated (nuked) because of the extreme unhealthy conditions that the animals are raised in on top of the hormones and antibiotics used to combat some of the diseease and tumours and open sores of these animals well the meat is not the best and after its nuked most of the nutrients are gone also meat has no fiber and no complex carbohydrates very important to the diet....Rage eggs don't get me started lol Read vegetarins for dummies :tu: I became vegetarian to evolve to vegan for ethical reasons the food supply , it wouldn't be until i started investigating taht i canme to learn of the horrors of animals the way they are treated...I have heard many sources say you 'd be better off eating out of your toilet than eating meat..of course its opinion...i have gained amazing health and have completely gotten rid of serious things i had.....

I don't eat much meat, like I listed, only turkey (wild) and lean beef, although I agree most nutrition is gone, it's an excellent source of protien, some slice having more grams of protien than calories if you learn how to pick out good cuts, and it's a great after workout meal instead of wasting money on protien shakes.

I could eat out of my toliet, my dad was in the Army for 8 years, I know how to keep that damned thing clean :innocent:

Edited by RagePatriot

Sb, you know where I'm from. :lol::rofl::lol: Do I know livestock or what! :lol::rofl::lol:

But the sad thing is, it's true. My neighborhood is practically surrounded by cows, atleast these get to graze! Oh, by the way, No eggs for me...and no milk either! :angry2:

But the sad thing is, it's true. My neighborhood is practically surrounded by cows, atleast these get to graze! Oh, by the way, No eggs for me...and no milk either! :angry2:

Why don't you consume eggs? Did the Easter Bunny molest you when you were a child?

Why don't you consume eggs? Did the Easter Bunny molest you when you were a child?

:lol::rofl::lol: No, I can't stand the thought of knowing that eggs are suppose to be little chickens running around chasing the dogs and such.

Oh, the reason I don't excerise is because I'm disabled, not lazy.

Oh, the reason I don't excerise is because I'm disabled, not lazy.

I'm sorry to hear that, what happened?

I don't eat much meat, like I listed, only turkey (wild) and lean beef, although I agree most nutrition is gone, it's an excellent source of protien, some slice having more grams of protien than calories if you learn how to pick out good cuts, and it's a great after workout meal instead of wasting money on protien shakes.

I could eat out of my toliet, my dad was in the Army for 8 years, I know how to keep that damned thing clean :innocent:

Ah the ole protien myth...Too much protien leads to so many health problems not true you want to build muscles eat a whole natural diet.... you just shave off life consuming too much protien its about 10% of the diet your protien needs and maybe a tad more if you are very active...High protien diets send you into ketosis which looses weight including muscle mass...it also puts your health in peril....those diets are for entertainment purposes only never to be taken literal or followed........story my eight year old is vegan and works out lightly push ups and light weigths for curls he is very tone and has little muscles, I'm also very tone and muscular now that i'm vegan versus the SAD...Fast food is poison......yuck.....

Ah the ole protien myth...Too much protien leads to so many health problems not true you want to build muscles eat a whole natural diet.... you just shave off life consuming too much protien its about 10% of the diet your protien needs and maybe a tad more if you are very active...High protien diets send you into ketosis which looses weight including muscle mass...it also puts your health in peril....those diets are for entertainment purposes only never to be taken literal or followed........story my eight year old is vegan and works out lightly push ups and light weigths for curls he is very tone and has little muscles, I'm also very tone and muscular now that i'm vegan versus the SAD...Fast food is poison......yuck.....

What would be the recommended dose (in grams) of protein you would suggest for somebody that is trying to build muscle. I'm going to be a cop so I want to be intimidating :yes: lol, I don't know if there is a formula or whatever, if it helps I'm 5'10" and weigh 185, looking only for a slight weight gain, more interested in switching over my flubber for lean muscle.

And would supplements for lifting like whey protien be negative for me? Or do you think that would be enough to reduce meat consuption to 0? I also used to take creatine but read that it can have bad side effects on the liver, although it has many positive effects too, I'm debating wehtere to continue taking it.

Edited by RagePatriot

What would be the recommended dose (in grams) of protein you would suggest for somebody that is trying to build muscle. I'm going to be a cop so I want to be intimidating :yes: lol, I don't know if there is a formula or whatever, if it helps I'm 5'10" and weigh 185, looking only for a slight weight gain, more interested in switching over my flubber for lean muscle.

And would supplements for lifting like whey protien be negative for me? Or do you think that would be enough to reduce meat consuption to 0? I also used to take creatine but read that it can have bad side effects on the liver, although it has many positive effects too, I'm debating wehtere to continue taking it.

based on genetics and being a male (helps in building muscle) If you were to clean up your diet that would show your muscle and then lift weights , males lift differnet them women Rage, I have a trainer i can tell you what I did my trainer had me get each muscle group accustomed to lifting lite weights high reps i could feel it but never strained i did this for 6 weeks then she switched me to a building stage which was enough weight to take me to failure never more than 2 sets per excersice and 8-10 reps never more than 3 times a week whole body each time i did that for 3 months , On the eating she said the vegan diet is superior so i wasn't sent to a nutritionist..i litereally had people coming up to me asking what i was doing also cardio 3 times a week...i now maintain it takes very little to do that i just switched back to my original routine...i would suggest the Ymca its cost effective and they give so much help trainer, nutritionist ect.....They'll even help you with the fiancing if you need it.....

Edited by Sheri berri

I try to get into the pool everyday. I do a lot of walking in the pool, I is the only way I can do a normal gate. If I didn't get in the pool I would be a lot more disabled than I am. My diet could be better, but I try. I don't eat meat every day. I would like to get back to living the country. I miss farm fresh eggs, meat, veggies and fruit. By the way the eggs you buy in the store won't ever become chickens, because they aren't fertilized. But the chickens that produce them live in nightmare conditions. Better to by free range eggs

Edited by Darkwind

I try to get into the pool everyday. I do a lot of walking in the pool, I is the only way I can do a normal gate. If I didn't get in the pool I would be a lot more disabled than I am. My diet could be better, but I try. I don't eat meat every day. I would like to get back to living the country. I miss farm fresh eggs, meat, veggies and fruit. By the way the eggs you buy in the store won't ever become chickens, because they aren't fertilized. But the chickens that produce them live in nightmare conditions. Better to by free range eggs

thats really good darkwind, i know the conditions those poor animals are raised in is heinous IMO , my love of nature and sense of ethics I will never eat meat again, i will not support the industry with my money.....There is no excuse to treat animals in that manner, It breaks my heart.......I have pets :cry: Its nice to know others care too....

Edited by Sheri berri

I eat as healthy as possible, and I lift weights too. Somethign I noticed is I still eat some things that are not good for you, but I keep them to a bare minimum.

Its one thing to have a bowl of ice cream with couple oroes and still workout...its a whole other thing to eat the box in a day, with a whole tray of oreos, then sit around all week.

I am more and more gettng a soft spot for animals and all that, but I do not think I could become a vegetarian, but, I do admire those that can swear off meat...man, tastes too good :-)

It always made me wonder who decides which animals are to be pets loved and cared for while some other animals are to be treated cruelly and heinously then eaten....

It always made me wonder who decides which animals are to be pets loved and cared for while some other animals are to be treated cruelly and heinously then eaten....

If you can breed a sheep that plays fetch and guards the yard i will name it Fluffy.

If you can breed cats that produces milk by the gallon per day i will i would plug it in one of those milking machines.

If you can breed a Chiwawa that produces nice filet steaks i would call it dinner.

Maybe that helps, nobody decides, their role in nature happens to be passed on genetically. :D:D:D

If you can breed a sheep that plays fetch and guards the yard i will name it Fluffy.

If you can breed cats that produces milk by the gallon per day i will i would plug it in one of those milking machines.

If you can breed a Chiwawa that produces nice filet steaks i would call it dinner.

Maybe that helps, nobody decides, their role in nature happens to be passed on genetically. :D:D:D

Yeah I think that speaks for itself, it's not some old man in a secret order that chooses it. It's really what the animals abilities are and their use.