Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Cats and Dogs See Ghosts?

IndigoChild

Do you think its possible that our furry friends have capabilities we can only dream of? I always wondered if cats and dogs could see beings... from the other side. Of course we would never know because of communication barriers, but how would we ever know the possibilities if we could not further explore them? Afterall, cats and dogs supposedly see things in a whole different spectrum as we do, pardon the pun. [They're colorblind in popular belief.] So maybe their eyes are more vulerable to seeing things that just go past us?

I've always had suspicions that mah cat wasn't just psycho. I'm sure that she's seen ghosts of some sort, she acts so possessed sometimes its creepy. :o For one thing, shes incredibly paranoid and if you pounce on her from behind or simply brush past her when she's lying down her hair jumps.

Certain sounds around the house trigger a reaction on her where she'll run in a panic frenzy for cover, like the sound of the doorbell or the microwave going off. And on occassion I'll find her all of a sudden looking up at the ceiling furiously, focusing her stare on something and moving "with it". She'll follow a trail of whatever it is she's looking at. Take today for instance, I came home and found her on top of the piano staring at the ceiling wall, and trying to crawl towards it to get a better look. Well, I looked up and there was nothing there. It was very unlike her, and lately I'll find her in the most unusual spost in the house doing her staring routine.

Also, she seems to run up the stairs frantically out of the blue. I know most cats tend to do things of this nature, but I know that it just has to be more than that. The other day, I was awake around 2 a.m. and was startled at the sound of a loud thud coming from the entrance of the house, when everyone else was asleep. I didn't even know that she was down there, but after hearing that I saw her sprint upstairs and cower under a couch. I still don't see what could have dropped to scare her without human force.

I had one incident where she was sleeping in mah bed and I was studying or reading. It was around 12:30 p.m. at night, and usually everyone else is asleep by then with an exception of mah mother who likes to check up on everyone before she gets to bed and checks the thermostat. Well, I began to hear soft footsteps on the carpet of the hallway. At first I didn't think much of it as I wrote it off as mah brother taking a trip to the bathroom or mah mom coming to check on the thermostat, but it sure did perk mah cat up, her name's Darcy, by the way. Her tail began wagging and she leaped out of bed and stood by mah dresser to get a good look at WHATEVER it was she was staring at, while still hiding from it. I finally mustered up the courage to take a look, and when I got up to take a look at it, nothing was there.

Coincidence? Who knows... I do believe that cats and dogs have better connections to the paranormal than we do, but it's not like they could ever tell us about it over a beer or something... :hmm:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• Meiliken

• primordial

• Amarali2012

well its been scientifically proven that cats and dogs see in black and white, because they have more 'cone' receptors in theyre eyes which pick up light intensity and allow us humans to see in the dark. thats why we can only see near enough black white at night.

also animals have better senses of hearing and such like, i believe it to be fully possible that they can eperience the paranormal at a level that we as humans cannot.

I don't they do. I think when they stare at something, they hear a sound from it. I whached a tv show that tried to explain the unusual behavior of animals. They said that animals look at walls because they hear rats walking throught them - or something like that.

I don't they do. I think when they stare at something, they hear a sound from it. I whached a tv show that tried to explain the unusual behavior of animals. They said that animals look at walls because they hear rats walking throught them - or something like that.

*shrieks* I would hope rats aren't walking along the inside of mah house. :wacko:

*shrieks* I would hope rats aren't walking along the inside of mah house. :wacko:

:lol: yeah maybe that made me sound a little wacko. I'm just saying that maybe when animals are staring at something, they are hearing a noise coming from the direction of the object, not seeing a ghost.

Well, cats ARE associated with the supernatural, but dogs have no connection. However, cats and dogs have been known to be sensitive to other forces that humans are blind to. For example, they know when a storm is coming when it's miles away just by sniffing the air.

Well, I believe that cats and dogs can sense paranormal and I have heard stories about how these animals behave differently to show that they are aware of these spirits being around them.

I think there was one story long ago that I was told by a friend of my parents where they found their dog constantly staring and barking at a corner for weeks in their garden and it was always at a certain time of day as well (sorry, I can't remember the exact details.) Anyway, they believe in the paranormal and got a medium to check out if there was a spirit hanging out there or something strange. It turned out there was a spirit there and it hid in their garden is because the house that it usually haunts was turned into a building site a few weeks ago so the ghost sort of moved to somewhere esle because it didn't like the loud noises (I am not sure about this point ) or something.

they are supposed to be more sensitive to things like this than we are.however i would imagine if you cat is staring towards the ceiling and following something around it is more than likely a particle of dust hast caught its eye.

As for the ghost in the garden story.come on! Mediums?im not saying that no such people would exist but would they sell their ability to randoms and prance about in gardens finding ghosts or would they use their abilities to once and for all prove the existance of ghosts....May have been more believable had there been a medium there that had spoke of a ghost recently moving to the garden and then afterwards the dog had a funny reaction to that particular space.However, when you bring in a "medium" and say,"Look the dog has been acting really strange in the garden recently is there a ghost?" how many of them will then say,"No sorry, since i didnt find anything this visit is free".......none.as i said im not saying people with such abilities aren't real but i dont think they would advertise their services to any old person who will pay. as ive said, why not use it to prove ghosts are real?far more money involved.

I imagine you have heard of a man called Derren Brown? well he has proven that with no psycic ability whatsoever he can perform readings on people and give them information that there is no way he could know.he can act as a medium to such effect that evryone believed he was the real thing. He isnt, and says so himself he did such things to prove how much trickery is involved in such practises and how people are gullible enough to be duped into believing anything.

Its a shame really because if someone ever does come along that has an actual real ability it will be shrouded by all this rubbish.For all we know there already is someone and thay arent believed purely because of charlatons like the ones i have mentioned

I dont think they can because i've got 2 very different dogs and i've often walked them through the graveyard.When i do i'll watch their reactions to see if they look at a particulat place or if they act as if they see someone....they never have (only live people :wacko: )

Cats by nature are very cautious and tend to jump or react to the slightest noise ...this is their survival instinct kicking in......but who knows ....

I have seen my cat on numerous occasions play with invisable things on the floor or stare at something I could'nt see. :blink: My dog on the other hand, has never shown any weird behavior, other than the fact that she WILL NOT go into the basement. I have to physically pick her up and carry her down the stairs. She shakes the whole time and then tears ass up the steps. :rofl:

I believe that most animals can sense more paranormal events. I beileve that humans could a long time ago, before we became self involved, materalistic morons. I think it is just natural to sense this. But, I think cats are more "in tune" to the spiritual.

well its been scientifically proven that cats and dogs see in black and white, because they have more 'cone' receptors in theyre eyes which pick up light intensity and allow us humans to see in the dark. thats why we can only see near enough black white at night.

also animals have better senses of hearing and such like, i believe it to be fully possible that they can eperience the paranormal at a level that we as humans cannot.

That dogs and cats can only see black and white is nothing more than folklore. Scientific tests have proven that they do see colours, though in a more limited range than we do. The following is about dogs, but it is the same for cats as well. They actually have fewer cone receptors than we do.

"dogs do see color, but in a more limited range than that seen by normal humans, who see the rainbow of colors described by "VIBGYOR": Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red (plus hundreds of variations on these shades). Instead, dogs see "VIBYYYR" (Violet, Indigo, Blue, Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, and Red). The colors Green, Yellow, and Orange all look alike to dogs; but look different from Red and different from the various Blues and Purples. Dogs are very good at telling different shades of VIB apart. Finally, Blue-Green looks White to dogs.

The simple explanation for these differences in color vision is this. The retinas of normal humans have three (3) types of color receptors, called "cones". Each cone type is particularly sensitive to light of a narrow limit within the entire VIBGYOR range. That means that three different "cone lines" of communication run back to the visual part of the brain, which then compares the weight of the signals coming in from each of cone "line". Different weights produce a perception of different colors. In dogs (and in "green-blind" humans), there are only two (2) types of cones, so there is less basis for comparison by the brain, and thus the perceived color range is more limited. In sum, dog color vision is "color-limited", not "color-blind".

SOURCE

I personally believe that all animals are highly sensitive to spirits. I think it is part of their built-in intuitiveness.......something we humans all had too at one time in our evolution, but have lost to a great extent.

That dogs and cats can only see black and white is nothing more than folklore. Scientific tests have proven that they do see colours, though in a more limited range than we do. The following is about dogs, but it is the same for cats as well. They actually have fewer cone receptors than we do.

"dogs do see color, but in a more limited range than that seen by normal humans, who see the rainbow of colors described by "VIBGYOR": Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red (plus hundreds of variations on these shades). Instead, dogs see "VIBYYYR" (Violet, Indigo, Blue, Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, and Red). The colors Green, Yellow, and Orange all look alike to dogs; but look different from Red and different from the various Blues and Purples. Dogs are very good at telling different shades of VIB apart. Finally, Blue-Green looks White to dogs.

The simple explanation for these differences in color vision is this. The retinas of normal humans have three (3) types of color receptors, called "cones". Each cone type is particularly sensitive to light of a narrow limit within the entire VIBGYOR range. That means that three different "cone lines" of communication run back to the visual part of the brain, which then compares the weight of the signals coming in from each of cone "line". Different weights produce a perception of different colors. In dogs (and in "green-blind" humans), there are only two (2) types of cones, so there is less basis for comparison by the brain, and thus the perceived color range is more limited. In sum, dog color vision is "color-limited", not "color-blind".

SOURCE

I personally believe that all animals are highly sensitive to spirits. I think it is part of their built-in intuitiveness.......something we humans all had too at one time in our evolution, but have lost to a great extent.

:tu: Good one earthchick. Thanks for that.

Edited by bubs_satansreject

One of my cats always stares & jumps at the same wall. A cat i had a few yrs ago would swear at that wall. On the other side of this wall is a bedroom that nobody sleeps in anymore. Two people have seen the same strange woman in there, dark hair, not the most attractive (described as witch-like). Four people have used that room as a bedroom over the years we've been there (since 1992). Two of them went totally off the rails w/ rage etc & the other two kept having dreams where they were being strangled... by the same strange woman. After having very bad dreams about the house (featuring an old fireplace inside the room that i wasn't aware of until after my dreams), i asked a 90 yr old neighbour about the people who used to live there. It turns out a married couple built the house & lived there until the woman's untimely death in the house. She wouldn't say anything else, even tho she's just next door & she's very friendly to us, we see her every day, help her with her groceries & yard, give her a lift here & there. She never accepts our invitations to come over for lunch, bbq, birthdays etc.

But yes, i believe at least some animals can see/sense entities that we cannot.

One of my cats always stares & jumps at the same wall. A cat i had a few yrs ago would swear at that wall. On the other side of this wall is a bedroom that nobody sleeps in anymore. Two people have seen the same strange woman in there, dark hair, not the most attractive (described as witch-like). Four people have used that room as a bedroom over the years we've been there (since 1992). Two of them went totally off the rails w/ rage etc & the other two kept having dreams where they were being strangled... by the same strange woman. After having very bad dreams about the house (featuring an old fireplace inside the room that i wasn't aware of until after my dreams), i asked a 90 yr old neighbour about the people who used to live there. It turns out a married couple built the house & lived there until the woman's untimely death in the house. She wouldn't say anything else, even tho she's just next door & she's very friendly to us, we see her every day, help her with her groceries & yard, give her a lift here & there. She never accepts our invitations to come over for lunch, bbq, birthdays etc.

But yes, i believe at least some animals can see/sense entities that we cannot.

Thanks for sharing your story, and it was a good one. :tu: Hmm, could be could be. I do think you're right [everyone]; most animals- cats and dogs at least- are more aware of the ...unknown. :blink:

I was trying to figure out, if there is any paranormal activity going on in the house, what source it would be coming from. We're the first family to live in this house as mah parents bought the land and it was built on it. And fact is, no one else has previously lived here before... Odd. I'll have to check that out somehow. I just dunno who to go to is all. :hmm:

Ace

Edited by IndigoChild

Because of their supersensitivity, cats and dogs, sense things that we humans cannot. But I think this goes with most animals, a survival instinct. They can sense emotions, whisper quiet sounds, even things that are not visible to the naked human eye. My cat is always staring into the air and she tends to follow object through the air that aren' t there.

I totally believe that cats and dogs see Ghost/Spirits. I have a dog that starts growling and barking all the time at night. usually between 3:00 & 3:33am (not to happy about that one though...)

Thanks for sharing your story, and it was a good one. :tu: Hmm, could be could be. I do think you're right [everyone]; most animals- cats and dogs at least- are more aware of the ...unknown. :blink:

I was trying to figure out, if there is any paranormal activity going on in the house, what source it would be coming from. We're the first family to live in this house as mah parents bought the land and it was built on it. And fact is, no one else has previously lived here before... Odd. I'll have to check that out somehow. I just dunno who to go to is all. :hmm:

Ace

I have seen cats before that all of a sudden start staring at nothing and get a wide eyed look and their pupils widen and their eyes look out of focus. It is as if they are seeing something in a different spectrum as was posted previously. So for what it's worth, yes I think cats and possibly other animals can sense can see the paranormal. It is said that the spirits that have passed exist at a higher rate of vibration than people on the earth plane, so maybe cats can see these entities even though they exist at a higher vibration. To tell you the truth, I am not sure what people mean by higher (faster?) vibration and why that would not allow us to see the spirits, I am justing passing on things that I have heard.

Well, I've taken my dog, a miniature poodle on investigations with me before b/c I've always wondered this too. He would begin growling & barking 2-3 sec. right before I'd get spikes on an EMF meter at a location, so yes I think they can pick up on these things.

Not shure about this, but last week I were on a skiing trip, and our teacher`s dog suddenly started to yell like Hell into nowere... like if there were someone there...

Yep, got no doubts that animals can sense and see. We would be ignorant to think otherwise. At least they still have for the most part there sixth sense intact, as for us humans.........

I believe animals may have a better ability of seeing ghosts, only because of their difference of senses. Probably involving their ability to hear too, just a thought though.

• 1 year later...

it was weird last night i was sitting on my computer watching my 2 baby cats play and one ran to the other side of the room and the other one ran toward her and stopped dead in its tracks and look right behind me like it was looking at something and its eyes got bigger and the it ran the other way so i got online to see if i could get some answers about it so i was wonder if you guys could tell me???

our dogs "see" all kinds of stuff . one of them "ole-dude" he is a bit far-sighted . sometimes they see eddie-joe the local decon/sneak thief. sometimes they see bears, bob-cats, and other "boogers"-- nothing comes around that they don't know about--

the cat she likes to watch TV--

I believe that animals can sense things we can't. I'm not sure if they actually see the ghosts, but I'm sure they can sense them. Just like they can sense 'bad' people in real life. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a normally friendly dog go completely crazy barking and growling at one person only to have that person go psycho. You know, angry drunks who want nothing more than to beat people up, burglars, etc. I used to have a dog who seemed to watch things walk around in our house, though I never saw whatever she did.

Here's a story that I thought would be worth mentioning. I was visiting my cousin's once and was home alone. Her husband drives an ambulance so he was gone and she was at work as a teacher's assistant. Her husky was outside in the yard so it was just me and the beagle(dog) in the house. I was watching TV in a chair about five-six feet in front of the tv. To my right is a couch against the wall where the dog was sitting. It's a little bit in front of the chair I was sitting in so I can see the dog next to me. The TV was turned down low because I couldn't find the clicker to turn it up. All of the sudden, I hear my cousin call my name from the kitchen (behind me.) It was a very loud and very distinct 'Becky!' It was also her voice. The dog jumped up and looked over toward the sound with her tail wagging. I guess because she thought her 'mama' was home. I was so convinced it was my cousin that I got up and went looking for her to see why she was home from work so early. She wasn't. The only thing that keeps me from thinking it was my imagination was that the dog heard it too.