Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Cats and Dogs See Ghosts?

IndigoChild

Based only on personal experiences I would have to say no. Cureently, i've lived in two haunted houses, and in neither case did we experience our animals reacting to any unseen stimuli. Actually quite the opposite, in all the accounts of unexplainable knock on doors or sounds of movement through the house our dogs continually fail to react, however, if and when I rap my knuckles on the door or even the dinner table, they immediately begin incessant barking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• Meiliken

• primordial

• Amarali2012

Hello to everyone! I stumble upon this site while searching in the internet about this subject because two days ago , it happened the strangest thing while walking my dog. As a animal-lover family , we have had through the years a few dogs and also some cats and , yes , sometimes they acted odd like staring to nowhere but no one thought about that very much. I live on a portuguese island and i usually walk my dog thorugh some fields where there´s only small bushes and short grass growing. My dog is the kindest of the dogs because she never barks to no one , she even greets strange folks and for instance , when running after some rabbits she never ever barks. Well , while walking with her last Wednesday , after running a little , she went to bath on a small rainwater creek and thinking she could escape , I went there to fetch her and put the leash on her. At that time , she was looking back as if someone or some animal was descending that place. I looked back also and saw nothing but I thought maybe it was a rabbit hiding some place. When we started climbing up that place, suddenly at a particular spot when there was nothing at all growing , she suddenly stopped , started to growling and then she started barking as if something menacing was there. I became very surprised with her reaction because she´s one year old by now and I and my family never saw her growl and bark that way. Still , i tried to soothe her and as I called her name , she wouldn´t even look my way. Puzzled , I grabbed a stone and throwed in that direction ( she loves chasing stones and twigs throwed by us) but she didn´t came close that spot. I mean there was nothing growing not even the weakest bush or I would thought it could be a rabbit or a rat . Then , after throwing the stone and with her still barking , I climbed up even more the rockery place and from the top , my dog looked down to that spot as if looking for a person . It was the most bizarre thing , indeed , because i know pretty well my dog and she never did nothing similar before. Later , I remembered that I had my digital camera with me that time but unfortunately I didn´t remembered to try to film the scene. Yesterday , I went the same place with my dog but she acted normal . I don´t know what she had seen but I do believe that she saw something that we humans are unable to see.

My cats Neutrino and Katana are sensitive to phenomenon in our property. One example was when Katana kept staring towards my guitars in the corner of the room. I couldn't distract her. Shame I didn't think to get my camera. I then saw what she had been looking at in the corner of the room. It was a black mass that moved over my guitars and into the wall. It was similar to the one that Jason and Grant caught on GHOST HUNTERS. I can't remember the episode, but it was the same black mass that they recorded near a pool table, if memory serves.

My dog alerted me to a demon in a churchyard. In this instance, I had my camera available, and proceeded to take photos both in night shot and with flash. It was the night shot that picked it up. You can imagine the chill that went up my spine when I loaded it on the computer. I have done some research in the area, and there are many possibilities why it showed up in that churchyard in that village. I posted it on my website.

http://www.ourparanormalworld.piczo.com

well its been scientifically proven that cats and dogs see in black and white, because they have more 'cone' receptors in theyre eyes which pick up light intensity and allow us humans to see in the dark. thats why we can only see near enough black white at night.

also animals have better senses of hearing and such like, i believe it to be fully possible that they can eperience the paranormal at a level that we as humans cannot.

Actually, dogs and cats DON'T see in black and white.

That's a common misconception made a long time ago, due to the fact that their retinas didn't look just like a humans, so many came to the quick conclusion that they must not see in color at all. While humans have 3 different types of cones, cats and dogs have two. . .so they just don't see as many colors as we do. Although, I've heard many different variations on WHAT colors they see, even from the science pages I've visited.

Cats and dogs have more gray receptors than humans, which mean that they are more sensitive to motion, detail, and light.

I think animals do see some things that we can't, for whatever reason. . .I've seen my one cat go on as if he were being petted (doing the head butt and rubbing against something I didn't see). While, my other one, who is not as outgoing as the first one and hates any type of attention, tends to turn and hiss at something unseen, as well as lay out a few well aimed (I guess) swats. We can't explain why some people see ghosts and others don't. . .apparently it doesn't have much to do with the way our eyes work. . .so it must be something else. . . And, maybe its the same with animals. . .maybe some dogs and cats can see things that other dogs and cats can't. My mom rescues cats, and she's got a few in her house (which has been determined to be haunted after quite a number of strange occurences. . .although my mom is skeptical about that type of thing) and only a couple of her cats seem to acknowledge anything being around. . .or maybe its because the other ones just don't care. It seems to be the more "outgoing" cats that display the odd behaviour. Hers does the same thing that mine does, acts as if its being petted and/or played with by something we can't see.

i think dogs are able to see what man can't. if dogs bark or howl when there's no person around, it usually means that he's seeing something that a normal person can't.

Animals transmitting their feelings of "awareness"? I think they can, tho, it’s not proven that they have a 6th sense of seeing Ghosts.

My cat, Cuddles, I believe is conscious and it is too that she doesn’t verbalize to me. I would like to know how she views or perceives the World. All I know is that she can detect sounds and vibrations at low frequencies that I can't detect, allowing her to sense something. Bats can hear up to 120,000 hertz and dogs would bark because they had heard something that you cant.

Cuddles is a Siamese cat and 3 years old. I admit that she does strange things like she would look quickly at a wall and stare at nothing. The strangest was when she was looking at me while I was sleeping. I opened my eyes and there she was with her dilated eyes looking at me. He eyes were pretty much black. We had a few cats in the past and we always had buried them, with little Crosses in the backyard about 200 or so yards away. Angela, my daughter, loves cats. She is going to be 10 this April 28.

Some animals can detect ultraviolet light or infrared light. Birds always fly away minutes b4 an earthquake or whatever impending danger. A great example was the India tsunami..

Edited by primordial

i didnt read all the stuff said in here but i have this to say.belive me or not i dont care.

my dogs and cats both see thingsi live in a haunted house,the cats actualy keep them away.i can see some of these things.at times when i have my cats and or dogs have too.so i dont really care what others think.my pets CAN see them as i can.they may not see the same thing as me but they do see something.

Do you think its possible that our furry friends have capabilities we can only dream of? I always wondered if cats and dogs could see beings... from the other side. Of course we would never know because of communication barriers, but how would we ever know the possibilities if we could not further explore them? Afterall, cats and dogs supposedly see things in a whole different spectrum as we do, pardon the pun. [They're colorblind in popular belief.] So maybe their eyes are more vulerable to seeing things that just go past us?

I've always had suspicions that mah cat wasn't just psycho. I'm sure that she's seen ghosts of some sort, she acts so possessed sometimes its creepy. :o For one thing, shes incredibly paranoid and if you pounce on her from behind or simply brush past her when she's lying down her hair jumps.

Certain sounds around the house trigger a reaction on her where she'll run in a panic frenzy for cover, like the sound of the doorbell or the microwave going off. And on occassion I'll find her all of a sudden looking up at the ceiling furiously, focusing her stare on something and moving "with it". She'll follow a trail of whatever it is she's looking at. Take today for instance, I came home and found her on top of the piano staring at the ceiling wall, and trying to crawl towards it to get a better look. Well, I looked up and there was nothing there. It was very unlike her, and lately I'll find her in the most unusual spost in the house doing her staring routine.

Also, she seems to run up the stairs frantically out of the blue. I know most cats tend to do things of this nature, but I know that it just has to be more than that. The other day, I was awake around 2 a.m. and was startled at the sound of a loud thud coming from the entrance of the house, when everyone else was asleep. I didn't even know that she was down there, but after hearing that I saw her sprint upstairs and cower under a couch. I still don't see what could have dropped to scare her without human force.

I had one incident where she was sleeping in mah bed and I was studying or reading. It was around 12:30 p.m. at night, and usually everyone else is asleep by then with an exception of mah mother who likes to check up on everyone before she gets to bed and checks the thermostat. Well, I began to hear soft footsteps on the carpet of the hallway. At first I didn't think much of it as I wrote it off as mah brother taking a trip to the bathroom or mah mom coming to check on the thermostat, but it sure did perk mah cat up, her name's Darcy, by the way. Her tail began wagging and she leaped out of bed and stood by mah dresser to get a good look at WHATEVER it was she was staring at, while still hiding from it. I finally mustered up the courage to take a look, and when I got up to take a look at it, nothing was there.

Coincidence? Who knows... I do believe that cats and dogs have better connections to the paranormal than we do, but it's not like they could ever tell us about it over a beer or something... :hmm:

Well...Humans can "detect" spirits...If you're third eye is open than you can usually sense when things are around...

I am new here and so happy to have found this forum I can't express it in words. I've had so many unexplained events, including with animals. A psychologist/parapsychologist with 50 years experience begged to study me 5 years ago and actually began crying when I refused.

Anyhow, let me tell you some stories. My dog, now deceased, was very intelligent. We used to walk her in a huge park across from our subdivision. She loved the park, but there was one area, about an acre large, that she absolutely would not enter. She stopped like she had hit a brick wall and acted as if she was looking at something or things invisible to us. This went on for as long as we went there, no matter which direction I would try to enter that area from. She acted scared to death and never once entered there. She did not act as if she was hearing or smelling something bad, it really seemed that she was looking at something she feared.

Last week, I as almost asleep. I was dimly aware of 2 male voices discussing something in the corner of the room on the ceiling. I don't play radios or tv's and live in a part of the subdivision that is distant from the other homes, so rule those sources out. I suddenly realized that I was not dreaming them and snapped awake, hitting the light immediately, a touch lamp that comes on in a second. The voices immediately stopped. Now the scary part. My cat was looking at the same exact spot that I heard the voices eminating from. He was scared stiff and continued to stare at the spot for several minutes.

I could relate other tales, but, not wanting to be a bore, I'll quit for now.

Thanks.

Edited by Coolbreeze2020

Do you think its possible that our furry friends have capabilities we can only dream of? I always wondered if cats and dogs could see beings... from the other side. Of course we would never know because of communication barriers, but how would we ever know the possibilities if we could not further explore them? Afterall, cats and dogs supposedly see things in a whole different spectrum as we do, pardon the pun. [They're colorblind in popular belief.] So maybe their eyes are more vulerable to seeing things that just go past us?

I've always had suspicions that mah cat wasn't just psycho. I'm sure that she's seen ghosts of some sort, she acts so possessed sometimes its creepy. :o For one thing, shes incredibly paranoid and if you pounce on her from behind or simply brush past her when she's lying down her hair jumps.

Certain sounds around the house trigger a reaction on her where she'll run in a panic frenzy for cover, like the sound of the doorbell or the microwave going off. And on occassion I'll find her all of a sudden looking up at the ceiling furiously, focusing her stare on something and moving "with it". She'll follow a trail of whatever it is she's looking at. Take today for instance, I came home and found her on top of the piano staring at the ceiling wall, and trying to crawl towards it to get a better look. Well, I looked up and there was nothing there. It was very unlike her, and lately I'll find her in the most unusual spost in the house doing her staring routine.

Also, she seems to run up the stairs frantically out of the blue. I know most cats tend to do things of this nature, but I know that it just has to be more than that. The other day, I was awake around 2 a.m. and was startled at the sound of a loud thud coming from the entrance of the house, when everyone else was asleep. I didn't even know that she was down there, but after hearing that I saw her sprint upstairs and cower under a couch. I still don't see what could have dropped to scare her without human force.

I had one incident where she was sleeping in mah bed and I was studying or reading. It was around 12:30 p.m. at night, and usually everyone else is asleep by then with an exception of mah mother who likes to check up on everyone before she gets to bed and checks the thermostat. Well, I began to hear soft footsteps on the carpet of the hallway. At first I didn't think much of it as I wrote it off as mah brother taking a trip to the bathroom or mah mom coming to check on the thermostat, but it sure did perk mah cat up, her name's Darcy, by the way. Her tail began wagging and she leaped out of bed and stood by mah dresser to get a good look at WHATEVER it was she was staring at, while still hiding from it. I finally mustered up the courage to take a look, and when I got up to take a look at it, nothing was there.

Coincidence? Who knows... I do believe that cats and dogs have better connections to the paranormal than we do, but it's not like they could ever tell us about it over a beer or something... :hmm:

I can tell you that they do at least see willow wisps (earthlights). During my observed trek into the unknown my best freinds siberian husky "Frost" stared directly at it and followed it's movement as we did. She did not growl, but simply wimpered. She has also noticed many other things, but I am saving this for a post that I have been working on. If you want to know what, give me a message.

well its been scientifically proven that cats and dogs see in black and white, because they have more 'cone' receptors in theyre eyes which pick up light intensity and allow us humans to see in the dark. thats why we can only see near enough black white at night.

also animals have better senses of hearing and such like, i believe it to be fully possible that they can eperience the paranormal at a level that we as humans cannot.

hmmm obviously that scientist is a hack.. bit of info for you. humans have three types iof cones (in their peepers) to see red blue and green, so we can see in full colour. were as dogs and cats have two cone types of blue and green, so they do see in colours but not the same amount as humans (and monkeys incidently)

i believe that animals can see ghosts.. i've seen on many an occasion my cats just loop out for no reason what so ever.. now i know that this is a commen cat trait, but seeing your cat in a dead sleep.. then sit bolt upright and do bog-laps of your house, come to a screeching halt, and have huge mad eyes... then keep running about definitely tells me that there is something there. especially when both your cats do it at the same time..

i had an experience when i saw something on my ceiling.. i turned on the light to find my cat crouched down on the floor, looking in the exact same spot where i saw this thing. a little too coincidental me thinks.

I can tell you that they do at least see willow wisps (earthlights). During my observed trek into the unknown my best freinds siberian husky "Frost" stared directly at it and followed it's movement as we did. She did not growl, but simply wimpered. She has also noticed many other things, but I am saving this for a post that I have been working on. If you want to know what, give me a message.

OMG, A husky. . I had a solid white one when I was a teenager (her name was Luna). . . Ironically enough (and this is why I'm responding to this) mine would chase willo wisps with me too. . .Thats a bit of an odd coincidence. . .

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

At a time in my life where I had moved to a different state and was staying at my family Estate for a few months in transition, I was one evening stoking the huge fire within the fireplace and sat down after upon one of the Settee and found myself in a pleasant conversation with my Mother, suddenly Matilda my Mother’s huge Calico Cat, she, (All Calicos are female) she jumps up and stars running to the far wall way across the living room, she stops, and starts off in the opposite direction along that wall, and after we heard scratching in the attic later that night.

My folks had just a few months before had the homes whole roof replaced and some construction repairs done to the attic roof boards and during this construction a tree rat had found its way into the Attic and was making its home.

Upon going to the local hardware store I obtained a mouse trap, a very huge mouse trap about ten times the size of a normal wee trap, and I purchased some seven inch long lag bolts heavy duty bolds upon climbing up into the attic I took my power tools and bolted that trap down to the cross beams in the attic floor, it was a huge trap, I baited it with peanut butter and the next night we heard it go off with a bang and it sounded like a bear was clawing away at the Attic floor then it fell silent, upon going up I retrieve the tree rat with work gloves and brought it down to dispose of it, it was one very huge rat, I sowed if to Matilda and she took one look at the size of it and ran like hell, so I deposed of it, now we never heard anything that first night in the walls but she from all the way across this huge living room with a crackling fire roaring, she heard the noises.

I was house sitting a home last month here upon the wild river, and the owner was passed on, one of the wee dogs I was watching in the mid of day and as the huge grandfather clock struck the quarter hour then fell silent, the wee dog shot a glance towards the direction of the huge clock, I turned my head as well and saw a truculent opaque figure move alone quickly across the floor in the early evening sun light. So yes Cats and dogs have very keen senses of smell and can also see the apparitions and spirits that we Humans can also see…Pavot

Edited by Pavot

Here is another true story.

I was a very small child living in what was then the country. I was most likely about 3-4 years old. My parents and older siblings came home at night from the store. I ran out into the front yard to greet them, along with our hound dog and the sister that was babysitting me. Everyone was getting groceries out of the car and talking and laughing. I was about 10 feet away with our dog. Suddenly the dog, Sandy, let out a low growl and looked at the sky. I saw a greenish blue orb, about the size of a basketball and floating towards us about 12-15 feet off of the ground. I yelled at the others to look at the blue light. The older kids and adults could not see it, only I and the dog could. The others just laughed at me. The globe did not stop, it glided on by and we went in the house. I practically forgot about the incident until about 30 some years later, I was watching a TV show about the supernatural and they said that spirits often take the form of blue or greenish blue orbs. Weird.

Edited by Coolbreeze2020

As a result of personal experience, I do believe that cats can see/sense paranormal things. I have 2 cats and only one seemed to be bothered by what was happening. Cats do tend to act strange and bolt around for no reason. However, mine exhibited odd behavior that wasn't the normal odd behavior....if that makes sense. He would lay on my stomach and face the doorway where most of the activity seemed to be....as if he was in protective mode. My story is way too long to go into again. Just my 2 cents.

Well, I believe that cats and dogs can sense paranormal and I have heard stories about how these animals behave differently to show that they are aware of these spirits being around them.

I think there was one story long ago that I was told by a friend of my parents where they found their dog constantly staring and barking at a corner for weeks in their garden and it was always at a certain time of day as well (sorry, I can't remember the exact details.) Anyway, they believe in the paranormal and got a medium to check out if there was a spirit hanging out there or something strange. It turned out there was a spirit there and it hid in their garden is because the house that it usually haunts was turned into a building site a few weeks ago so the ghost sort of moved to somewhere esle because it didn't like the loud noises (I am not sure about this point ) or something.

I believe that. I have a 14 year old German Shepherd/Border Collie Mix. She was going crazy one day last week - pacing the floors, panting heavily - probably for about 1/2 hour. The next morning, around 5:30, we had an earthquake that originated in Illinois - 142 miles away - 5.2 on the Richter Scale. I had heard animals sense when natural disasters are going to happen but never experienced first-hand. It was kinda neat!

I think cats can see ghosts...

The cat of my aunt used to stare at a wall. Just a blanc wall, nothing special to see.

Sometimes he just ran to the same wall like someone or something called him.

its just like saying the same as children coz from what footage ive seen of animals looking at the spirits i have also noticed children doing exactley the same .

I remember A couple years back it was broad daylight,and my entire family was in the living room; when all of a sudden my dog(she's part chow,part coyote) perked her ears up, and walked to the window really cautiously. she looked outside for a few moments, then ran under a table with her tale between her legs. It could have been some high pitched whistle we couldn't hear, but it was definitely nothing we could see. I believe animals could very well be more susceptible to the paranormal :\

Cats and Dogs see ghosts? Absolutely

They are of pure heart and more open....

• 1 month later...

At this rate, I really believe animals such as cats and dogs are able to sense or see ghosts. One time I was like at my house and me and my friends were talking at the counter, all of a sudden my cat Sammy(she is one mean black cat) starts getting mad at the side of the TV and attacks it. A few minutes later a stack of cds falls like as if it was thrown from behind and no my cat didnt even touch the top of the TV so dont even say "your cat knocked the CDs off". Ever since that day I belived in ghosts, and how cats and dogs really sense and see them.

Another story(Friday June 20th, 2008) is that I was over at my grandmas and I walk over to the puppys cage wich is my cousins puppy Chloe, and shes sleeping in there, I stand there and look at her and my left leg feels like my knee was being forced over there and it was colder than the rest of the house there, I seriously started to get over into the kitchen quick, it stopped after 30 seconds, I walked back and nothing happend. The dog then starts getting wierd and growls because of random sounds coming from the kitchen, wich is right next to her. We hear sounds like use of kitchen silverware and stuff like knives, but I look over into the kitchen really quick and nothings there. I go back to my computer, wich is now, and I hear what sounds like a girl saying "doot" or something, like it was a girl trying to make a stupid noise like think a moment, its like how your sisters annoy you to death. Noone in my family but my Aunt has been lost from us.

Do Cats and Dogs See Ghosts?

First, I stop short at saying that I had "ghosts" in the house where I used to live and had quite a few "experiences." But we did have two cats during the several years that I lived there, and only one of them exhibiited any kind of abnormal behavior. That was just before she died, when she holed up behind a large freezer we owned. (That's not remarkable in itself because cats seem to hide in order to die.) The curious thing to me at the time was that she appeared to be more frightened than in pain or sick.

my poodle would always growl at stuff that wasn't there........ but then again when it happened more frequently it was cuz she was losing her sight.