Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Cats and Dogs See Ghosts?

IndigoChild

well i actually had a friend have that happen to them before. ^_^ there is this ghost that tormented my friends family his dad unleashed it or something. but no the call him the albino man and haven't seen him in a long time. anyway my friend and his brother came to my house to hang out. well over the night i had a ouija boared :huh: i know stupid. anyway we played it for a while then got a little scared so we stopped. the next day my friend goes home and his animals (dogs-cats) started to act really weird, like staring and barking at nothing. and so thats when my friends family started to see the albino man around his house again for a few days. but then the animals acted normal again and the albino man went away(for now) :unsure2: and so thats why i think animals can see ghost and spirits. :D

well, YOU think theyre barking at nothing, maybe because you cant hear what they hear.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• Meiliken

• primordial

• Amarali2012

All I know is that I hate when my cats stare at a blank wall. And not in a 'I'm bored and gazing' way, but in an intense and 'omfg something is over there' way. I will go to the room on the otherside of the wall they are staring down, and see if there is anything that could be causing it. Even a bug, a fly, something. Usually there is nothing.

It's most likely them hearing something far off in the distance in the direction they are looking. Or some mechanical sound they are focusing on that I'm dismissing as white noise. But it's creepy!

infra and ultrasound. we cant hear it, they can. they can looking at something from which the sound is emanating from.

If cats and dogs do see "ghosts," which I'm unwilling to concede, since I have no idea what an animal is perceiving, then they probably see "kitty ghosts" and "doggie ghosts," just as (some) people tend to see "people ghosts."

And to paraphrase Xenophanes: if cats and dogs worship a deity, its either a Great Cat or a Great Dog; just as (some) people tend to worship a

Great Old Man.

What I'd like to know is, how can any human being possibly know what any other human being is perceiving, much less what some other living creature is perceiving?

Edited by CausticGnostic

Cats and dogs can see apparations or even things from another world. My Rat Terrier Chiqa see's things and hears things that we as people would normally not feel or see unless we had the gift to do so. Raven

The song "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys was originally about a dog that could pick up vibrations. The lead singer changed the refrain to make it sound like it was about a girl ...

It scared me, the word 'vibrations,' " Brian Wilson once said, remembering how, when he was a boy, his mother, Audree, tried to explain why dogs barked at some people and not others. "A dog would pick up vibrations from these people that you can't see but you can feel. And the same thing happened with people." "Good Vibrations," Wilson's crowning achievement as a songwriter and producer, harnessed that energy and turned it into eternal sunshine. "This is a very spiritual song," he said after its release, "and I want it to give off good vibrations."

-full article

Listen to the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeD_6Y3GQc

Cats and dogs can see apparations or even things from another world. My Rat Terrier Chiqa see's things and hears things that we as people would normally not feel or see unless we had the gift to do so. Raven

prove it.

thanks.

just because you may not understand something, doesnt mean its not accurate. like what people have been posting on here, explaining why you may think this.

well i'd share my experience too.

once i was at the end of factory whre i worked alone. Was checking up things there. There are few doggies kept in the cage where they cant see any human as being blocked by some walls. I didnt make any noise or any sound that might have irritate the dogs.

All the dogs suddenly began to start howling.. and some little soft barking.. but mostly howling..for no reason

I thought it was just normal that dogs might bark at something perhpas like snakes or any other human around

I began to feel something strange about the dogs howling at afternoon. This feeling make my brain to tell me to leave that place immediately for no reason. I mean the howling is weird like a wolf would howl.

I left the place... and the howling stops almost immediately.. damn.. people here said if the dogs howl like that, means they see something that we dont. in this case its the ghost. Im not sure about it. What do u guys think ?

well i'd share my experience too.

once i was at the end of factory whre i worked alone. Was checking up things there. There are few doggies kept in the cage where they cant see any human as being blocked by some walls. I didnt make any noise or any sound that might have irritate the dogs.

All the dogs suddenly began to start howling.. and some little soft barking.. but mostly howling..for no reason

I thought it was just normal that dogs might bark at something perhpas like snakes or any other human around

I began to feel something strange about the dogs howling at afternoon. This feeling make my brain to tell me to leave that place immediately for no reason. I mean the howling is weird like a wolf would howl.

I left the place... and the howling stops almost immediately.. damn.. people here said if the dogs howl like that, means they see something that we dont. in this case its the ghost. Im not sure about it. What do u guys think ?

interesting experience, but has nothing to do with dogs sensing ghosts. you were only firghtened and felt the need to leave because they started howling.

animals can hear infra and ultrasound, and possibly communicate with it. so theyre barking at something you cant hear what-so-ever.

I definitly believe they can see something that we can't

based onm what exactly?

I have heard what most people have heard on here that cats are like a portal to the other world. I suppose that the movie "Constantine" as well as others have made a depiction of this possibility. Also, in my own experience, I have seen the spirits of my wife's former two cats walking up and down the stairs (very fleetingly mind you) but I have always had a connection to the spiritual side of things.

Dogs have had various reasons to bark at night and a lot of these reasons can be practical (i.e. an animal, someone walking the streets at night, something else) but for the reasons that are inexplicable I believe that there is a spiritual significance.

I believe in that stuff. My dog never barks, but one night she just started barking at the doorway which lead to the laundry room. She was also backing up and she has never done this before mind you.. creeped me out.

I also posted this on another thread but here is a dog that wont go into a room because there is apparently a ghost in there... idk

Coincidence? Who knows... I do believe that cats and dogs have better connections to the paranormal than we do, but it's not like they could ever tell us about it over a beer or something...

Sie Amerikaner Crack me up! ... :rolleyes: ... We have a bier here in Prag that will get you to think ou are talking to your cat or dog about seeing ghosts!...Ich möchte sagen, alle in der Kneipe!

EDIT:sorry about the spelling its getting late!

Edited by topskepticgirl1

:mellow:

I believe in that stuff. My dog never barks, but one night she just started barking at the doorway which lead to the laundry room. She was also backing up and she has never done this before mind you.. creeped me out.

I also posted this on another thread but here is a dog that wont go into a room because there is apparently a ghost in there... idk

your experience is interesting, but its no proof of animals sensing spirits. however, they can hear sounds that we cant. infra and ultrasound which could result in them staring at something, or barking (if a dog)

• 1 month later...

I just started really researching "shadow people" today. I have always seen shadows out of the corner of my eye and just dismissed it. But saturday night, this is Tuesday i was up late in my livingroom with my two dogs. I was on the computer and it was around 1am in the morning. All of the sudden it felt like something was behind me. I turned my head around and saw right in front of me a big dark shadowy presence. At the same time one of my dogs stood up with the hair raised on his back and didn't bark just started doing a weird growl. The other dog did nothing was totally unaware. The shadow disappeared and the dog went back to sleep. I stayed up a little longer and then went to bed. My dogs sleep with me. One came to bed the other didn't. As i lay there with the dog trying to go to sleep i saw a big shadowy presence move from right to left at the foot of my bed. The same dog jumped up but didn't bark just kept looking in the direction of the shadow which lingered for many seconds. Long enough for me to see. Then the thing just disappeared. It left me feeling really creeped out. The past few night the dog will not sleep in the room. And he has never not slept with me. I just happen to be moving to a new place july 1st. I am not sure what to make of this. I DON"T want it to happen again as it was not pleasant especially since the dog saw it and will not sleep in the room. Does anyone know if these things are associated with the house or is it the human. When i move will this thing follow me. I am hesitant to share this with anyone i know, they will surely think i am kookoo...but i know what i saw and felt. Does anyone have any opinion on why they come to some and not others...HELP? :unsure2:

Well, cats ARE associated with the supernatural, but dogs have no connection. However, cats and dogs have been known to be sensitive to other forces that humans are blind to. For example, they know when a storm is coming when it's miles away just by sniffing the air.

True! My dog behaves differently when the weather suddenly changes, she gets well...snarky and restless, she also looks at things that I cannot see, but I think she's slightly potty anyway! :lol:

My dog will sit, stare and growl and bark at what appears to me to be nothing but air or the wall. There have been a couple times when I've walked into the area she's watching and it will be really cold or I'll suddenly get this feeling like I have to get out the room immediately. It is truly a feeling of sheer terror. There have been other times she'll act that way and suddenly I catch a strong wift of men's cologne even though my husband isn't home or in the room. My husband has also had the experience of the air getting cold in the spot she's watching. We keep meaning to keep the camera close enough to get a picture of the spot while she's acting that way but keep forgetting. So--in short---yes, I think if there are ghosts, cats and dogs see them.

My dog will sit, stare and growl and bark at what appears to me to be nothing but air or the wall. There have been a couple times when I've walked into the area she's watching and it will be really cold or I'll suddenly get this feeling like I have to get out the room immediately. It is truly a feeling of sheer terror. There have been other times she'll act that way and suddenly I catch a strong wift of men's cologne even though my husband isn't home or in the room. My husband has also had the experience of the air getting cold in the spot she's watching. We keep meaning to keep the camera close enough to get a picture of the spot while she's acting that way but keep forgetting. So--in short---yes, I think if there are ghosts, cats and dogs see them.

in short, i personally doubt it.

animals may be able to sense things, or Feel them and Hear them. sounds that we are unable to. it can easily explain why theyre looking at something, or bark at something when we believe something is not there. infra and ultra sounds.

I was told by my dad something he saw. My uncle used to own a very large German shepherd dog that was a former police dog. One day this dog reacted very strangely when he entered my dad's place and saw an armchair. The armchair belonged to the house, so it was there long before my dad moved in. I think it's possible that dogs and cats may see things that we cannot but also I feel we don't understand it so people link it up with the supernatural. In the case of my uncle's dog, I think he sensed something bad about the armchair that could've been lingering for years, such as a horrible scent of someone nasty using it. Dogs pick up on emotions easily so perhaps they can do the same with past emotions imprinted on objects?

If you've ever seen a ghost the likes of which I have seen with another witness, I'm sure you'd realize that anybody can see a ghost. It requires no skill or special ability, just being at the right place and time. So I guess the question should be, is there something in a dog or cat's brain that prevents them from seeing ghosts that people have seen. In that case, I really couldn't tell you, because I didn't have a pet at the time. But I guess the O.P. is talking about invisible ghosts in which unfortunately I have no experience with.

Now I suppose what I saw might not have been a ghost. It was definitely a being, but...who knows...could have been an E.T. or some interdimensional being but it struck me as a ghost.

Edited by They're Here

I always wondered if cats and dogs could see beings... from the other side.

I believe they can. I'm a ghost magnet (hence my forum ID), I get a lot of visits, and my cat is more scared than I am. He's a good example of a "scaredy cat" as he's always alarmed if anybody walks into the room that he's in without initially seeing them coming. He also gets alarmed if I pet him when he's unaware or sleeping. He's also often looking wide-eyed at the windows and I'm sure it's because he's also seen "ghosts" looking in (I have no idea why some do that but it even scares me when they're obvious apparitions). He's not afraid of living strangers when he sees they're friends or relatives, the windows he looks wide-eyed and scared when looking at are to the backyard and up too high for him to be looking for an animal outside them, so I'm guessing it's the "ghosts" he fears and expects to see.

I almost forgot that my cat was once up on the clothes dryer ducking down and hissing at something I couldn't see, then he backed away and vomited violently. Whatever he saw was short, judging by the height his eyes were fixed looking at (possibly a child's "ghost," I guess).

I apparently get visits from different "ghosts" but I do know there's a "ghost" of a little boy who seems to stay around here so it could have been him whom my cat saw. The "ghost" of a woman also seems to stay here but I don't think she would be that short. I can't tell who's who anyway since I never get any appearing and talking at the same time, they're always either visible (or partly visible) or they're invisible while they talk or make noises. They also never move anything when they're visible apparitions, only when they're invisible. So far, anyway.

Edited by Ghost Magnet

I believe they can. I'm a ghost magnet (hence my forum ID), I get a lot of visits, and my cat is more scared than I am. He's a good example of a "scaredy cat" as he's always alarmed if anybody walks into the room that he's in without initially seeing them coming. He also gets alarmed if I pet him when he's unaware or sleeping. He's also often looking wide-eyed at the windows and I'm sure it's because he's also seen "ghosts" looking in (I have no idea why some do that but it even scares me when they're obvious apparitions). He's not afraid of living strangers when he sees they're friends or relatives, the windows he looks wide-eyed and scared when looking at are to the backyard and up too high for him to be looking for an animal outside them, so I'm guessing it's the "ghosts" he fears and expects to see.

or its because theyre just looking at/out the window.

it goes Right into the back yard, so jumping to ghosts would be the Biggest Jump to a conclusion.

• 2 months later...

I've read through almost every reply on this page, and I have to say nearly all these things apply to me. I sometimes come home from school, and my cat bolts towards me and hides behind me, i have no idea why she is so scared. But then yesterday, i was doing my homework on my bed, and my cat was laying down the other end of the bed, with her paws on my legs. All of the sudden, her head swung and looked at the wall. She scared me because her head spun around at about 100kmph! she just stared at the blank wall. her claws started digging into my legs as she kept on staring at the wall. then the hair on her neck started to stick up (i've never seen her do this) and she let out a meow, it was a slow and spooky meow. i've never heard her meow like that.

i looked over at the wall, nothing. Believe me, there was NOTHING there, not a mouse, not a noise. nothing. Why was my cat so scared? i really dont know. please answer it.