Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone know who owns this ?

Saru

Here's a mystery in its own right, I was looking at the site statistics this morning and came across this site :

http://www.unconvention2003.com/

It is a complete carbon copy of Tommy's Unconvention 2003 editorial, complete with menus, title images, online users counter and copyright notice, all linking back here to this site.

I can't find any information on who's site it is, or why they'e copied an entire section from here, although it is in effect a free advert for this site, because it just looks like it's part of Unexplained Mysteries.

Anyone here own the site, or know anything about it ?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Althalus

• Magikman

• Druss

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea about that, so that isn't actually a link to this site then?

It is just a complete copy of a page?

I think so, it looks just like part of this site, but as far as I can tell it's on someone else's web server.

-Edit Actually it is a link to this site, more about it below.

They have a link to the unconvention site on this page:

http://www.camberleyonthe.net/photogallery...y_uncon2003.htm

Also found this:

The White Stars moved forward, over and under Sheridans hastily ...

The White Stars moved forward, over and under Sheridans hastily constructed

minefield. Lennann let out a long, wordless scream and charged forward. ...

www.unconvention2003.com/ - Similar pages

here

Edited by Althalus

Graphics and Materials on this site should not be copied without prior written consent

Unexplained Mysteries V6.0 Copyright© 2001-2003, All Rights Reserved

www.unexplained-mysteries.com

So no one contacted you, SaRuMaN? I found this same link on at least a half a dozen other sites (a couple in French, too). Probably started as one "theft" (for lack of a better word) by one of the many visitors, and was picked up by the rest.

(by the way, should this be a great compliment to Tommy? original.gif )

Gareth,

You'll notice from Tommy's thread HERE that the url was once owned/maintained by the Fortean Times. Don't know how it became the page it is now, though. It points back to a Verisign webhosting site. Maybe they could help you with who runs it now. blink.gif

Magikman

Thanks for all the info and links, I think for the moment I'll leave it be and see what happens.

I'm not sure, but now i'm beginning to think that it's not actually a copy hosted on someone else's server, for whatever reason, I think the domain itself is pointing directly to Tommy's uncon article on this site. The online users counter seemed to be stuck on a single figure earlier, but now it's changing, indicating it's the actual page and not just a copy.

It's almost like someone's given me a free domain name.

dontgetit.gif

Could it be a terchnical glitch, in which the domain name sort of hotwired itself to a page about the topic it was named after?

I seriously doubt any technical fault could have that affect - the only thing I can think of is that someone's done this temporarily while they make a site on the subject of the Unconvention, and intend to switch it over afterwards. Either that or they've made a mistake and didn't intend to have it pointing to this site.

Ok I've figured out how he's done it. Basically his index page consists of a frame which redirects automatically to the editorial on this site, his domain isn't pointing directly to it, nor has he copied the page onto his web server.

I think it's probably a temporary measure, whoever owns it probably intends to put his own site there once it's ready, and didn't want to leave it blank.

w00t.gif Wow this could be my stepping-stone to editorial stardom. tongue.gif Thanks for the info Gareth, I look forward to seeing what his 'new' Uncon page looks like.

whistling2.gif

Incidently Tommy, if you type 'Unconvention 2003' into Google, your editorial comes up right at the top.

thumbsup.gif

WELL DONE TOMMY!  clap.gif

(just don't forget about us when you're famous!)  original.gif

bring me back some green! thumbsup.gif