Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Get your seatbelts on for May 25th

twopits

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=63973

Eric Julien predicts that the comet collision will occur in the Atlantic Ocean between the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer, and generates 200-meter waves.

This falls in line with what people have been dreaming, the washing away of the southern half of Florida. OR we may get lucky and the comets just deflect off.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Feanor

• frogfish

• 49erscout

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately this is just another crack-pot loony false doomsday prediction.

It is wrong in one thing only... everything it says. By May 25 the comet will have already passed us. It is actually closest to the earth on May 14. It will get no closer than 6 million miles, close by astronomical standards but still 24 times further away than the moon is.

For the facts on this comet go to Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy web site. Phil Plait, incidentaly, is a professional astronomer.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Sounds suspiciously like another political crackpot Bush-hater, painting a fallacious doom and gloom picture in support of a political agenda.

To wit, this Julien fellow states that this astronomical holocaust is "...tied to the Bush administration's policy of preemptive use of nuclear weapons against Iran, and the effect of nuclear weapons on the realms of higher intelligence.".

Hmmm...the Exopolitics Institute, huh? Doesn't sound like an astronomical organization does it?

How a supposed , or even a natural and substantiated astronomical event could possibly be tied to the policies of a human being who happens to run a country on an insignificant spec of dust in a far corner of the cosmos is, well....you guessed it :wacko:

Besides, since when is there a policy regarding the pre-emptive use of NUCLEAR WEAPONS against Iran???

Further, what is the "Earth's ecliptic plane", and where are the "realms of higher intelligence"?

Just curious...

What annoys me is that everytime we get another false doomsday prophecy of an impending comet/asteroid strike on Earth it does harm to those scientists doing genuine research into the threat to mankind.

The story of the boy who cried, "wolf" comes to mind.

Fortunately this is just another crack-pot loony false doomsday prediction.

:yes: I hate these...

I agree with you Waspie, I have been watching the sky where this comet is with my telescope since it was Easter break...The Orion Nebula looked striking last night.

Edited by frogfish

I have been watching the sky where this comet is with my telescope since it was Easter break

If you have any photo's I would love to see them.

If you have any photo's I would love to see them

Darn, I didn't take out my CCD camera at all this week...I totally forgot about it

I made a search to see If this were posted before. Couldn´t find.

Heres the link: MAY 25, 2006 - the Day of Destiny!

So, heres the deal. This guy, Eric Julien, claims that on May 25, 2006 the earth will be hit by a fragment of a comet and the world will be close to its end. He says that this will happen if the US president George W. Bush attack Iran with nukes... And some kind of alien civilization can stop this if the president do not attack Iran.

Well. I just want to know what you ppl think about this.

Real or not. It is a freaking article.

Edited by Feanor

A very interesting theory, but very far-fetched as well. ET will never step in and save us or interfere period. :alien::w00t:

Eric Julien is an idiot. America won't nuke Iran. The comet won't hit Earth (it was never going to) and he'll say I told you so.

My prediction: if the United Kingdom nukes China tomorrow a comet will destroy Washington DC on Thursday. If the UK keeps it's nukes to itself, aliens from the planet Gullible-braindead will vapourise it before it has been detected by astronomers on Earth. You watch, on Friday I will be proved right and will be a great prophet.

Just for clarity Feanor, as you seem to be worked up about it being "a freaking article", in my first post it was Eric Julien I was calling a crack-pot loony not twopits.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Just for clarity Feanor, as you seem to be worked up about it being "a freaking article", in my first post it was Eric Julien I was calling a crack-pot loony not twopits.

Er... sorry, I didn't understood you. My english is not good. I posted this and and it got merged here.

It wasn't my intention to say this is true or not and it wasn't my intention at all to say that US will nuke Iran or not. I was just curious to know what you guys think about it and I said it is a scarry thing. True or Not. It would give a good hollywood movie! ;)

And Sorry if my english sometimes makes you guys understand all wrong. I promisse I will improve it. :tu:

:yes: I hate these...

I agree with you Waspie, I have been watching the sky where this comet is with my telescope since it was Easter break...The Orion Nebula looked striking last night.

Frogfish, hi! If you don´t mind, can you tell me your telescope specs? Pm me if you prefere. I am trying to buy one, and I would appreciate your help with technical specs...

Thx beforehand. :tu:

And Sorry if my english sometimes makes you guys understand all wrong. I promisse I will improve it. :tu:

Believe me, your English is much better than my Portuguese. :tu:

Sorry for any mis-understanding.

----------------------------------

Update 27th April 2006:

NASA has put out a press release confirming that there no chance of Comet P73/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 colliding with the earth. To read the press release click here.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf