Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Katherine Knight

Spacey

Katherine Knight is a very strange case indeed, and i figured I'd enlighten all those who don't know of her....

Knight was an abbatoir worker in Aberdeen, NSW, and a mother of four.

In February 2000 Knight stabbed her defacto husband John "Pricey" Price 37 times, expertly skinned him, hung his hyde on a meathook and boiled his head in a pot and served it up with vegetables for his 2 children.

She has never spoken about what happened that night, and hs never shown any pity or remorse.

American criminal profiler Robert Keppler told former foreign correspondent Sandra Lee (Author of the book "Beyond Bad") he had never seen a case "so far up the continuum of psychopathological behaviour ... You have gone through the elements of voyeurism ... of enjoying torture before death ... of enjoying torture after death; you have got consumption, the cannibalism ... total **********c behaviours."

It's quite freaky. I can't believe anyone would go to that extreme. What makes a person go down that path? It's just an amazing leap from a spectacled mummy to a violent murderer...

• Like 1

It is huh? It's just so odd....

Thank for the additional info :)

I've got the book, Beyond Bad, it's really interesting. Well written and just really informative. Totally to the point, detailed and most importantly non judgemental (because it really irks me when authors put in their own opinions and bias... it detracts from the facts).

Yeah...it's hard to find an author than can be totally unbiased ....especially with crimes such as this....it's really easy to start saying well, it could've been this incident or that one...and turn it into a typical "dysfunctional childhood", etc...

I searched a little more and found this.....a newspaper account with pictures and such. :)

That link wouldn't work :(

You're right, it's hard to be unbiased, but there are authors who just really go overboard and it just kinda pee's me off, this one book i have called "Never To Be Released" has a chapter on a guy called M<artin Bryant, and the author, Paul Kidd keeps referring to him as The Monster instead of his name, and talks about how he should be put to death blah blah blah. I reall don't appreciate it. I want to read an account of his crimes, not hear about some journalist's opinio on capital punishment... time and a place...

The Knight stuff is really interesting. The book goes through her whole life, and discusses her trial and the psychiatrist's views. Apprently she suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder, although it really doesn't explain her actions, but does explain a motive- sufferers of BPD have a fear of rejection and abandonment, and Pricey had tried to break up with her, which she was quite upset about.

I feel the shrinks and doctors are missing something- there's something very symbolic about what she did to Pricey after she killed him. They look at it in a very general way, but i think they should be trying to figure out what it meant to her personally. It could really give us some understanding into her thought process...

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not...fingers crossed... :)

http://www.geocities.com/neil404bc/knight.htm

hope that works for you....link worked ok for me... :hmm:

And yeah....you made sense....personality disorder is sometimes used as a 'blanket excuse' to justify a person's actions.....it would take years of intense therapy to get to the root of where she was coming from if it could even be done....I'd be very interested to know the results of that as well. :)

It worked... thanks :)

I agree, it would take a long long time to fully get a view of that kind of mentality. But it would be worth it just to be able to have that kind of understanding, to truly see why....

There is just something about the case that begs to be solved, it's like a puzzle in my brain...

Borderline could not have made her kill anyone, there has to be more factors involved.

It's quite sad for Pricey's children and other family, just a really awful end for their loved one. It's a horrbile way to go. Katherine Knight turned his death into some kind of macabre freak show, humiliating him, dehumanising him to the point of turning him into just another carcass to use her knives on. It's just so wierd....

I would think that she probably just 'turned off' and treated his body just like she was used to treating animals in the abattoir. What a horrible crime.

• Like 1

Borderline could not have made her kill anyone, there has to be more factors involved.

i hate it when people claim that kind of thing. it makes it sound as if all people with borderline personality disorder are murderers. those mental illnesses alone CANNOT make you kill someone. a man nearby recently murdered his two daughters... and they said it was because he had depression. depression? depression does NOT make you kill your children. maybe yourself- but NOT your children. people who are depressed hate themselves and their own lives. they aren't homicidal. it's a common misconception that kids like those who committed such acts as columbine are "depressed". maybe they were depressed, but it was SO MUCH MORE than that. and it gives those of us who do have mental illnesses a bad name. we're not going to kill anyone- but the media makes it sound like our mental illnesses are the reasons behind the murders. there are some mental illnesses that can make people go off the deep end- but those are ENTIRELY different than everyday common ones such as depression and borderline.

and that's my rant for today lol.

• Like 1

i hate it when people claim that kind of thing. it makes it sound as if all people with borderline personality disorder are murderers. those mental illnesses alone CANNOT make you kill someone. a man nearby recently murdered his two daughters... and they said it was because he had depression. depression? depression does NOT make you kill your children. maybe yourself- but NOT your children. people who are depressed hate themselves and their own lives. they aren't homicidal. it's a common misconception that kids like those who committed such acts as columbine are "depressed". maybe they were depressed, but it was SO MUCH MORE than that. and it gives those of us who do have mental illnesses a bad name. we're not going to kill anyone- but the media makes it sound like our mental illnesses are the reasons behind the murders. there are some mental illnesses that can make people go off the deep end- but those are ENTIRELY different than everyday common ones such as depression and borderline.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is so much stigma on the mentally ill that every time I read a murderer had a mental illness I cringe. Not all murderers are mentally ill and not all mentally ill are murderers.

• 5 months later...

There are resonances here with William Shakespeare's most obscure and least-performed tragedy, TITUS ANDRONICUS, wherein the title character kills the villainess' sons and then serves them to her in a pie.

But ALL of Shakespeare's plays are easily obtained and can be found in any high school library, so I wonder if Katherine Knight might have read it?

• 5 months later...
There are resonances here with William Shakespeare's most obscure and least-performed tragedy, TITUS ANDRONICUS, wherein the title character kills the villainess' sons and then serves them to her in a pie.

But ALL of Shakespeare's plays are easily obtained and can be found in any high school library, so I wonder if Katherine Knight might have read it?

I started reading up on Katherine Knight because my flatmate's family lives in the upper Hunter Valley region where the murder happened. Her family knows the Price family and the details that she told me were horrifying. She said that John was the guy that every one loved and that its the person least expected to be fall victim to such a heinous murder.

I haven't read the play but i have seen the movie Titus (1999). She was almost illiterate so its doubtful that she went and read a play by Shakespeare but maybe she saw the movie and it might have opened her old wounds of rape and incest and given her ideas for revenge.

From what I read, Katherine came from a family of abuse and clearly that was passed on to her as she could not deal with it. I really hope that all her children find the will and power to break out of the vicious cycle of abuse that seems to haunt families with such pasts.

From what I read, Katherine came from a family of abuse and clearly that was passed on to her as she could not deal with it. I really hope that all her children find the will and power to break out of the vicious cycle of abuse that seems to haunt families with such pasts.

This really brings the nature vs nuture debate. If her children have gotten away from her they will be raised by someone who is more stable, that would support the nuture side. However is the nature side rings true then they need to be closely monitored. This reminds me a bit of something someone said to be recently, "my father's an alcoholic even though he's been dry for over 20 years, but it's in my genes that I am going to become an alcoholic". This kind of attitude will definitly cause him to become an alcoholic if that's what he's expecting to happen. So I hope her children don't hold the expectation of ending up like their mother.

Absolutly. Her childrens attitude is whats going to either make or break them. If you read any books by David Pelzer (a man who has inspired many people by dealing with his childhood of abuse) it can be seen that children often expect to take on after their parents including whatever bad habits or psychological problems they may have. I was told that during the time she was in and out of psychiatric hospitals before she was imprisoned Katherine's children were looked after by her family that raised her. It could be assumed that they may have endured the same treatment that Katherine did in her childhood years. Her family has been infamous with the media with articles that depict more murders and pedophilia. It would be good to know that her children were able to get past this stigma and move on to become positive lights of enegy in the society.

Yeah I did read the David Pelzer books, I didn't read A Man Named Dave, not that I can remember but I know the story of it. Social stigma and personal expectations are huge factors that influence how you grow up. It is terrible when children get placed where there is obvious abuse and problems, then the government will be producing endless reports about how to reduce criminal activity, by screening families better. Things like that get me so annoyed. A lot of people suffer horrible abuse and come out better people but some people just don't and while you can't fully blame their background, you can't fully blame them either. I dont' really know what I am trying to say here. If I were one of her children I would get away and change my name and cut off any affiliation to her, but then again it isn't my mother and though the rest of a world sees a monster, her kids could see just a mother and love her anyway.

• Like 1

Katherine Knight is a very strange case indeed, and i figured I'd enlighten all those who don't know of her....

Knight was an abbatoir worker in Aberdeen, NSW, and a mother of four.

In February 2000 Knight stabbed her defacto husband John "Pricey" Price 37 times, expertly skinned him, hung his hyde on a meathook and boiled his head in a pot and served it up with vegetables for his 2 children.

She has never spoken about what happened that night, and hs never shown any pity or remorse.

American criminal profiler Robert Keppler told former foreign correspondent Sandra Lee (Author of the book "Beyond Bad") he had never seen a case "so far up the continuum of psychopathological behaviour ... You have gone through the elements of voyeurism ... of enjoying torture before death ... of enjoying torture after death; you have got consumption, the cannibalism ... total **********c behaviours."

It's quite freaky. I can't believe anyone would go to that extreme. What makes a person go down that path? It's just an amazing leap from a spectacled mummy to a violent murderer...

Hi i'm new to the site but I too have been reading a lot about katherine knight and I'm writing a college essay on her looking at her childhood and whether or not it contributed to her crimes, trouble is I can't find much info on her childhood, any sites you could direct me to? my personal opinion about it at the moment is that because she moved house quiet often as a child and her father worked long hours she never had the love and care children need also her brothers were living with relatives and it doesn't sound as though her mother gave her any attention, when she finally did start getting attention she made sure she was the sole focus and her temper sure did guarantee that. any info would be really helpful. x

What makes a person go down that path?

Marriage..... :(

• Like 1

Hi i'm new to the site but I too have been reading a lot about katherine knight and I'm writing a college essay on her looking at her childhood and whether or not it contributed to her crimes, trouble is I can't find much info on her childhood, any sites you could direct me to? my personal opinion about it at the moment is that because she moved house quiet often as a child and her father worked long hours she never had the love and care children need also her brothers were living with relatives and it doesn't sound as though her mother gave her any attention, when she finally did start getting attention she made sure she was the sole focus and her temper sure did guarantee that. any info would be really helpful. x

If you haven't already found it, Crime Library has an entry on her.

Hi and thanks for that, I had already been on the crime library but decided to re visit it and found more info that I had over looked previously. I also read through all the posts and followed the links and got loads more that way too.Really not sure how I'm gonna go about writing this essay, I have to look at her childhood to determine whether or not it had an impact on her criminal behaviour and use eysenks theory and others to come to a conclusion. I believe without a doubt that her upbringing obviously had a huge influence on her actions but putting it into words is something completley different. You all have so much knowledge about her and it's really interesting to read all of your views, at first I wasn't sure about writing about katherine but you have all inspired me to just go for it, thanks guys.

Sarah x

Hi and thanks for that, I had already been on the crime library but decided to re visit it and found more info that I had over looked previously. I also read through all the posts and followed the links and got loads more that way too.Really not sure how I'm gonna go about writing this essay, I have to look at her childhood to determine whether or not it had an impact on her criminal behaviour and use eysenks theory and others to come to a conclusion. I believe without a doubt that her upbringing obviously had a huge influence on her actions but putting it into words is something completley different. You all have so much knowledge about her and it's really interesting to read all of your views, at first I wasn't sure about writing about katherine but you have all inspired me to just go for it, thanks guys.

Sarah x

Other members of katherine Knight's relatives were also involved in crimes. Her half brother Patrick John Roughan was imprisoned for pedophilia and his son James stabbed and beheaded a homeless teenager. Might be useful for your essay - whether it was a nature vs nurture, it is clearly something that runs in the family

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/second...3266639850.html

http://newsofdoom.com/2007/04/04/used-his-...a-bowling-ball/

I love murders like this. If you're going to do it, go the whole hog (with apologies for the abattoir reference)

I'm off to read more on her. Never knew about her...

Im convinced that the reasons for many murders are because of things wrong in places that haven't even been looked into yet. Not until we learn a lot more about the nature of spirituality and the realm of the parapsychical and things that people do because of parapsychological reasons. I hope the day comes when someone can get a diagnosis from legit doctors who deal with these obscure areas of the human experience. Too often people are at a loss as to why such heinous crimes are commited. That loss, that gap, may one day be filled in with Emperical knowledge.

I'm not shocked by this at all, some people just have a curiosity in what some people describe to be the macabre, some are able to channel these interests into areas which are deemed acceptable by society such a forensic scientists and some just don't and explore this interest in other ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Saint, I've just bought a book about her called Blood stain and if you want to read more about her I strongly reccomend this book, I found it quite difficult to get hold of but eventually found it in the book depository website.

Sarah. x