Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Starlings recognise grammar in songs

UM-Bot

news icon rEuropean starlings are not just exceptional songbirds and mimics they also recognize a grammar in their songs in a way that was thought to be unique to humans.

Scientists in the United States have discovered that the birds can be taught to identify different patterns of organizing sounds used to communicate.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: ABC News

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• justcallmefox

• crouton

• Wookie

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought bird song sounded familiar....now i know :lol:

Im an Avid Bird Watcher and i think this is an attempt to glorify these hideous birds who take over the nests of other birds and run them off, wheres my BB gun hmmmm

Im an Avid Bird Watcher and i think this is an attempt to glorify these hideous birds who take over the nests of other birds and run them off, wheres my BB gun hmmmm

They're only hideous in North America (and possibly Central and South America) where they are not native birds. They must be quite nice in Europe, or else they would not have been transported to 'The New World' by some ignorant immigrant who wanted to enjoy a touch of home in the wilderness. I agree though. They have become a terrible pest and have taken over from our native species.

Edited by crouton