Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New to astronomy

jabberwocky

Hi all. I'm thinking of buying a telescope soon, and was wondering whether anyone could recommend a decent purchase for someone who's new to astronomy.

Thanks.

Jabberwocky.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jabberwocky

• frogfish

• Pax Unum

• Waspie_Dwarf

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most things in life it's all rather dependent on budget I'm afraid. It will also depend on how seriously you intend to get into the hobby as well. You could spend thousands of Euros on a telescope which very really comes out of it's box.

The advise I remember being given was if you are new to the hobby consider buying a good pair of binoculars before progressing to a good telescope. Never buy a really cheap telescope it will give disappointing views.

If there are any astronomical societies near by, consider go along to a meeting, there will be plenty of people that can give you good advice. It is also worthwhile looking into astronomy magazines. Sky and Telescope and Astronomy are very good but more geared towards North America. Astronomy Now is aimed more at the UK and Ireland. They will have reviews of telescopes and, in the case of Astronomy Now, will have details of astronomy societies.

Thanks fo the advice. Have purchased a few magazines, and am starting to work out budgets for what I can afford. Will probably wait a little while, and make sure I get a decent one. Thanks again...

Meade makes very good telescopes... I have the ETX-90AT with the Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC).

Meade

Have looked at the Meades, and think that is the make I'm going to splash out on. If memory serves, I think it is one of the EXT range, worth about 550 euros.

Never buy "trash" scopes...the ones that cost 50-100$ dollars with rickety mounts.

Meade is a good choice...I have a 10" LXD-75 Newtonian Refractor...

Like Waspie said, binocs are a good coice for starters, If you have the time and patience to see objects with binocs, then you are ready for a telescope.

Binocs are very fun...when I don't have the time to take my scope out, I just use my binoculars.