Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why the Importance of "Sacred Mysteries"

Guardsman Bass

This is continuing off of what I posted in another thread in this forum.

What I am asking is, what is so appealling to religious believers about believing in a Sacred Mystery of some kind? The Catholics, for example, have Transubstantiation. Even the Christian Churchs that hold the Eucharist as being symbolic have the overall Sacred Mystery of Christ Returning from the Dead and Dying for Our Sins, holding this belief with faith.

Is is just the "mysterious, secret, holy" knowledge aspect of it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hermetic Hermit

• Henge_Witch

• Grandpa Greenman

• Guardsman Bass

In Paganism there are many mysteries. The word occult means hidden and there is a reason for them being hidden. What they are depends on the Path you are on. There are ideas and truths many people are not ready to understand until they reach a certain level of experience. There are many things I do I don't put on the web, because the spirit realm is not for the faint of heart. :o Don't get me wrong most of my experiences very pleasant, but every once in while something comes a long that challenges you. It pays to keep you sword sharp.

Even the Christian Churchs that hold the Eucharist as being symbolic have the overall Sacred Mystery of Christ Returning from the Dead and Dying for Our Sins, holding this belief with faith.

What is the Sacred Mystery of Christ Returning from the Dead and Dying for our sins?

Do you class it as a mystery because you don't know if its true?

Maybe I'm having a 'stupid' day, sorry, but I don't understand the question :unsure2:

What is the Sacred Mystery of Christ Returning from the Dead and Dying for our sins?

Do you class it as a mystery because you don't know if its true?

Maybe I'm having a 'stupid' day, sorry, but I don't understand the question :unsure2

The entire "Life of the Christ" was originally a mystery cult. All the major elements, from the annunciation to the resurrection, are remnants of an ancient mystery cult, of course. These events were all initiations. The highest level of the original cult were the "resurrected" ones. The lowest level of initiation was the "announcement" that one was proclaimed a member, the second was probably involved with a ritual bath, thus "virgin birth", and so on.

What I am asking is, what is so appealling to religious believers about believing in a Sacred Mystery of some kind? The Catholics, for example, have Transubstantiation. Even the Christian Churchs that hold the Eucharist as being symbolic have the overall Sacred Mystery of Christ Returning from the Dead and Dying for Our Sins, holding this belief with faith.

The secret or sacred siginifance of the Last Supper has been overlooked by the Church.

Jesus knew he was going to die, do you think he had nothing of importance to say?

No mystery indeed for those who are blind to the mysteries.

Jesus had one single important point to make......

Immanence.

immanence

im·ma·nent

adj.

1. Existing or remaining within; inherent: believed in a God immanent in humans.

2. Restricted entirely to the mind; subjective.

Immanence

In worship, a believer in immanence might say that one can find God wherever one seeks Him.

"this [bread] is My Body", "this [wine] is My Blood".

I am this bread, I am this wine.

The God within me is also in this bread and this wine and everything else.

"It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the All. From me did the All come forth, and unto me did the All extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there." - Gnostic Gospel of Thomas(discovered - 1945)

"THE ALL is in the earthworm, and yet the earthworm is far from being THE ALL. And still the wonder remains, that though the earthworm exists merely as a lowly thing, created and having its being solely within the Mind of THE ALL--yet THE ALL is immanent in the earthworm, and in the particles that go to make up the earthworm. Can there be any greater mystery than this of "All in THE ALL; and THE ALL in All?" -- Hermetic Teaching (published - 1908)

I believe the "holy secrets" hype stems back to older religions were the way and the life and secrets of the universe and mother earth, were passed by word of mouth to those ready to understand and replicate.

The druids did this, and in doing so they never dropped a stitch, each new generation of "holy men" were only chosen when they could understand these teachings, that often came in the form of poetry and song, very little was written down.

Later religions seem petty in comparison - the vatican claiming to contain secrets in their vaults that they have vowed to keep so, to what avail? who will benefit? if they have these revelations stored away, which I doubt (I believe its a guise to retain respect and an air of this mystery) what do they contain?

I doooo believe someone keeps trying to steal the blueprints, perhaps :rolleyes:

Edited by Henge_Witch

This is continuing off of what I posted in another thread in this forum.

very simply

because it means there is a reason for everything. This is comforting to people who by nature can not know all things.

When someone sees a math problem like this and knows a answer exists they realize the answer must be beautiful.

GOD is good. (true)

GOD allows suffering (true)

like a complicated math problem. When you know both these are true you realize the answer that binds them must be beautiful. And knowing it must be beautiful people in turn want to see it. But like others have said you must be ready spiritually before you can receive the answer.

Kind of like e=mc squared. Very beautiful but with this knowledge came great responsibility, because with this knowledge they made the atom bomb.

very simply

because it means there is a reason for everything. This is comforting to people who by nature can not know all things.

When someone sees a math problem like this and knows a answer exists they realize the answer must be beautiful.

GOD is good. (true)

GOD allows suffering (true)

like a complicated math problem. When you know both these are true you realize the answer that binds them must be beautiful. And knowing it must be beautiful people in turn want to see it. But like others have said you must be ready spiritually before you can receive the answer.

Kind of like e=mc squared. Very beautiful but with this knowledge came great responsibility, because with this knowledge they made the atom bomb.

Yes and from this stems the concept of chaos yet as a parallel it's sister concept of duality.

We could not appreciate true beauty without comparison, as that would be all we know, and vice versa...Man made god in the image of himself.