Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Scream' Mask Shooting Suspect Arrested

plasmafiend024

A 19-year-old was charged with first-degree murder Wednesday after a woman in Deland, Fla., was found dead in her yard and a man wearing a "Scream" mask was seen fleeing from the scene, Local6.com has learned.

Neighbors said they spotted a masked man chasing Jennifer Lynn Benedict, 33, from her home on Nectarine Road in the Daytona Park Estates community Tuesday night.

Witnesses said gunshots and screams for help were heard before the woman came stumbling out of her garage and collapsed in her yard.

Witnesses said they then saw a man in a mask similar to the one featured in the movie "Scream" fleeing from the victim's home and running down the street, a police report said.

Detectives spent the night looking for clues, combing for evidence of a possible motive and a possible suspect in the case, Local 6 reporter Jessica Sanchez said.

"It has horrified neighbors on the usually quiet street of Nectarine Road, who say they saw a man shooting at the woman," Sanchez said.

"There was a lot of blood," neighbor Karl Smith said. "I didn't move her because I didn't want to tamper with the crime scene. So, I checked her vitals and she was already gone."

The car used in the getaway was located a few blocks away from the woman's yard and the driver was taken into custody.

After questioning, authorities charged Andrew Scott Brewer with first-degree murder and armed burglary.

Investigators said that the bottom of Brewer's shoes have a distinctive pattern that appears to match a shoe print found at the crime scene.

Deputies also searched Brewer's grandparents' home and recovered a drum magazine for an AK-47 assault rifle, .22-caliber ammunition and literature about serial killing inside the home, according to the police report.

The report also said Brewer’s grandfather told deputies he had a .22-caliber gun in the house, but when he went to look for it he discovered it was missing.

Source

Edited by plasmafiend024

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• plasmafiend024

• ladygrim

• crouton

I wonder if the only motive was burglary since they found the serial killer literature?

I wonder if the only motive was burglary since they found the serial killer literature?

And why would a burglar chase someone down and shoot them in their driveway? Especially with plenty of other witnesses? Sounds fishy to me. There must be more to this story.

And why would a burglar chase someone down and shoot them in their driveway? Especially with plenty of other witnesses? Sounds fishy to me. There must be more to this story.

Yeah, I agree. I bet we'll hear more about this soon and they'll find out that it was more than just burlary.

No spirits are telling me that. I think it all by myself. ;)

weird story, and

"There was a lot of blood," neighbor Karl Smith said. "I didn't move her because I didn't want to tamper with the crime scene. So, I checked her vitals and she was already gone."

Source

*clap clap* law& order and CSI are good for something, about time people realize not to mess with evidence.

personally i'd be scarred for life if i saw someone in a scream mask shoot someone.

personally i'd be scarred for life if i saw someone in a scream mask shoot someone.

I'd be scarred for life if I saw someone in a scream mask anytime not near Halloween.