Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Important: Malicious e-mails

Saru

This evening someone succeeded in exploiting a security vulnerability in the Invision Board software and was able to gain access to the UM administration section. They proceeded to send out a number of malicious e-mails to some of our members containing a virus. They also made a virus popup appear on the forum. It appears that we weren't alone, several other Invision Board forums have also been hit in a similar manner in the last few days.

If you have received a strange e-mail containing a lot of garbage and a weird link that appears to have come from this web site - delete it immediately.

The security hole has been plugged now thankfully, I must emphasise my loathing for the type of individuals who get their pleasures from doing this kind of thing

We apologise sincerely for any problems this issue may have caused, and very much hope that it will not discourage you from participating on the site again in future.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• GreyWeather

• Reincarnated

• DR. YO

Awesome job, SaRuMaN! :clap: Thanks for the warnings and work. :)

Not your fault in the least saru. You did and are doing a mighty fine job reassuring everyone.

*hugs saru*

Scripting... I understand nothing of it (refering to a window that appeared in this website, along with some virus trying to come in a dozen of times)

Thanks for the warning, SaRu. :tu:

There is a word to describe the people that do things like this, but I won't use it in polite company.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

ah that explains the other members wierd email, that he posted in another thread in this section. :tu: thanks for the warning and for fixing it ^_^

thanks for the warning, I don't usually get any mail from here, but now I know.

You can't guard against everything, Saru.... :tu:

times like this I really really want to believe in Karma

Thanks for all you do SaRuMaN!

It's time to stop calling these people hackers, they should be given a name that really describes them, cyber-vandals would be my suggestion.

Indeed, there's something to be said for the type of people who do this, it's simply dispicable but gladly, it's all been taken care off and hopefully that'll be the last of it.

Good job getting it fixed so quickly. :tu:

When I used I.E. to access the board I got a pop up telling me that something was installing, but I when I tried using Firefox nothing came up. I guess if anyone was on the board using Firefox they should scan their computer.

calling them hackers would be complimenting them, they are script-kiddies. check the IP logs, he probably didn't even use a proxy.

p.s. - if you are still using internet explorer, smack yourself then download FireFox!

Edited by Reincarnated

Wow! Thanks alot for the warning, Saruman! I will now be carful if I see an e-mail that seems like the one mentioned and delete it.

:alien::alien: crypto :alien::alien:

It's a disgrace to call them hackers...true hackers are in it for the developtment of software, not lame cyber vandelism.

Any, I'm glad its sorted out!

SaRu, your quick response was phenomenal.

*hugs*

people are just that messed up...

im going to check my e-mail, if i got one........things will happen to this sikkos computer........bad things, lol

Thanks SaRuMaN. I had a hard time deleting all the infected files. I was hoping the files wouldn’t spread and infect the other computers at my office. I’ll find out in the morning. Thanks again . :tu::tu:

*sigh* doing a V scan now. so the script prompt thing was a virus? i didn't click okay so do you think i'm still safe? :no: we'll find out soon enough. in the mean time i'd suggest everyone running a scan who visited at that time. freakin people man, wtf is with people like that???

There was a weird chap on here posting random b******s with weird links...any connection?

When isnt there a person doing that? lol

Unfortunately even if you do not press OK, you are not safe...as the prompt has nothing to do with it. Whilst the prompt is coming up, the virus is dlíng to your computer... unless you have good security or a virus blocker....

I got the virus from this site not once, but TWICE!

I came home from school, refreshed the page of UM first thing, and then all of a sudden something downloads and I get a strange Trojan virus. Soooo.....I ended rebooting my entire hard-drive again, so I unfortunately lost everything (I've lost count of how many times I've had to do that). Thinking nothing of it, I reinstalled my Internet software, and went back to UM right away, where I got the virus again, thus forcing me to reboot my hard-drive again. That time I knew it had to be that someone hacked into UM. I was hesitant to come back here this time, but thankfully, I come to read that Saru has fixed the problem. Thanks for fixing the problem!

I HATE people who put viruses into computers. I seriously wish they would all die violently.

Good job SaRu!

I might know who did this...PM if you want to know.