Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinosaurus tragedy

bosnian

So folks, I just looked something about dinosaurus in 6 episodes, and somehow I disagree with theory that meteor (or metheor in English perhaps, i am not sure) are quilty for dinosaurus termination.

If does, how is that the birds are survive?? How is that crocodile are survive? Some mamles survive? Even SHARK survive??

Isn't it something else happened???

There have been numerous mass extinctions in the history of the Earth. A popular theory is that the Alvarez impact may have been responsible for the last one (the K-T extinction)

This is quite possible. I have wondered though if the Alvarez object may have been large enough to have caused a shift in the Earth's tectonic plate system thereby initiating a series of massive volcanic eruptions over a large area of the planet and also perhaps caused a shift in the Poles. If such an action happened then the effect of the environment would have been cataclysmic.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bosnian

• frogfish

• Roj47

• Banovici - Bosnia

a series of massive volcanic eruptions over a large area of the planet and also perhaps caused a shift in the Poles

The largest world-wide eruptions on record are the Siberian Fire Pits...These happened during the Permian Extinction.

The largest world-wide eruptions on record are the Siberian Fire Pits...These happened during the Permian Extinction.

Yes the Siberian Traps supports my own view that most of the mass extinction events were caused by seismic eruptions rather than meteorite impacts. But you are incorrect concering the K-T extinction event and I include the following:

Sixty-five million years ago, right at K-T boundary time, and coinciding with major shifts in the oxygen and carbon stable isotope records, and the K-T extinctions, the vast bulk of the Deccan Traps lavas erupted onto earth's surface (Basu et al., 1993). One of the greatest episodes of volcanism in earth history, it flooded over a million square miles of India and surrounding areas with layer upon layer of basaltic lava flows, one over the other, forming a lava pile that today, after 65 million years of erosion, is still about one and one-half miles thick in western India, near Bombay. The duration of the eruptions was coeval with major shifts in the carbon and oxygen stable isotope records, "Strangelove conditions" in the oceans, and the K-T mass extinctions. In addition, it occurred simultaneously with other phenomena such as marine transgression, reduced photosynthesis of terrestrial and marine floras, and reduced weathering rates that would all have contributed to producing a major trans-K-T perturbation of the carbon cycle (McLean, 1995).

For the rest: http://filebox.vt.edu/artsci/geology/mclea...ano_Extinction/

There's also the fact that most dinosaurs died out before 65 MYA. Such as an asteroid impact....causing volcanic activity to do the rest :yes:

I agree with you that just an asteroid could not cause this, but a chain reaction probably starting with an asteroid.

Guest Lottie

I agree with you that just an asteroid could not cause this, but a chain reaction probably starting with an asteroid.

I agree also, this is what I have always thought and been told. The asteroid was just a prelude to as you say a destructive chain reaction to the earths enviroment. Causing climate change , plate changes in the earth (earthquakes and volcanoes) yada yada.

FF you have a mass of knowledge in Palentology is this a passion of yours? :D

FF you have a mass of knowledge in Palentology is this a passion of yours

Yes, it started as a childhood fascination :yes:

Guest Lottie

FF, Its great to see such enthusiasm and passion, what life is all about!

Ooops sorry gone off topic :blush: back to business! :D