Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush: Diplomacy Best Immediate Course

__Kratos__

WASHINGTON, May 9, 2006 – Diplomacy is the best way to confront Iran's nuclear program, but President Bush said today in Sun City Center, Fla., he won't rule out other options if that falls through.

"We will continue to work through diplomatic channels to make it clear that we mean what we say," Bush said in response to a question posed during his visit to the sprawling retirement community to discuss the Medicare prescription drug benefit. "And obviously, part of making the diplomacy work is what will be the consequences if the Iranians decide not to listen to the rational demands of the world."

Bush avoided spelling out exactly what those consequences could be. "I think it's very important for good negotiators to keep their cards close to the vest and at the appropriate time, make it clear what our intentions are," he said.

The best way to lay "the foundation for peace," regarding Iraq and other world situations, is to encourage the spread of freedom, the president said. "The cornerstone of my foreign policy is the belief that freedom is universal," he said.

"Freedom has changed the world in incredible ways," the president said, noting the impact it's had on Japan, Europe and other parts of the world that once lived under tyranny. "Freedom has the capacity to change enemies into friends," he said. "We must not lose sight of the historical examples."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice addressed the Iran issue yesterday after meeting with British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett in New York and before meeting with her counterparts from Britain, Russia, China, France, Germany and the European Union to discuss Iran.

"This is a time for the international community to come together to say to the Iranians with very great clarity that it is time for Iran to accede to the demands of the international community." Rice said. "The Iranians can have a civil nuclear program, but they need to do so in a way that gives confidence to the international community that they are not seeking a nuclear weapon under the cover of civilian nuclear power."

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is good news. :tu:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PLO

• Celumnaz

• joc

• RedEyeJedi

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is good news. :tu:

A start towards diplomacy would be to answer Ahmadinejad's letter.

I bet it's not good news for Bush. He's probably fuming. He had no choice after the letter, which he has to ignore and pretend it never happened.

A start towards diplomacy would be to answer Ahmadinejad's letter.

I bet it's not good news for Bush. He's probably fuming. He had no choice after the letter, which he has to ignore and pretend it never happened.

:lol: That is pretty funny to say...

U.S. says it will seek resolution on Iran

April 28, 2006:

Bush said Friday that he was consulting with allies. "Diplomacy is my first choice and should be the first choice of any president," he added.

:whistle:

becuase Ahmadinejad's basicaly out manoeuvered bush very well. Bush will have to respond like the nice decent, honest god faring american most brainwashed fanatics beleive him to be. Redeye's right, bush and fellow war mongers will be going absolutely mental, Ahmadinejad's quite a cheeky guy, i liked it when he refered to bush as his Excellency, lol.

Edited by PLO

I really have lost all hope that you, PLO, RedEyeJedi and Sanjuro can salvage what's left of your brains.

You just can't see how clearly insane the Iranian president is when you read his letter? :wacko:

Everyone here in the US is now convinced that he is in the Twilight Zone, it is all over the news that he is quite out of his head. But you and the Iranian president think that it was some kind of profound letter that our politicians can only stand in awe over. I don't like to be mean, and I'm really not trying to be, but you guys seriously need to seek help. You are way out of touch with reality.

Sad how delusional people can be when they really want to believe something. :hmm:

What Bush is saying between the lines is that Iran isn't anywhere near as close to the capablility of producing a nuclear weapon as the media has played it up to be.

So...the issue is now Iran...and the whole process begins again...diplomacy, diplomacy, diplomacy...and in the end...diplomacy will fail...and when it does...as Afghanastan and Iraq went...so goes Iran....

....next diplomatic effort: Syria!

It'll fail becuase bush will allow it to fail. I mean, what part of the letter did anyone actually disagre with?

syria a diplomatic effort?, america's already had a few run in battle with syrian forces. They do stray pretty close to that border.

I really have lost all hope that you, PLO, RedEyeJedi and Sanjuro can salvage what's left of your brains.

You just can't see how clearly insane the Iranian president is when you read his letter? :wacko:

Everyone here in the US is now convinced that he is in the Twilight Zone, it is all over the news that he is quite out of his head. But you and the Iranian president think that it was some kind of profound letter that our politicians can only stand in awe over. I don't like to be mean, and I'm really not trying to be, but you guys seriously need to seek help. You are way out of touch with reality.

Sad how delusional people can be when they really want to believe something. :hmm:

Thank you, well said. I've always thought they needed more fiber in thier diet.

nobody want to explain what they dissagreed with about the letter though?, nope?, no takers? care to point out the "insanity" of the letter watzel?

I know - this shows the state of affairs pretty well. If it is true that the media are all saying Ahmadinejad has lost his mind, and you believe that.... well, there's nothing more I can say.

What do you disagree with in the letter?? What parts would you consider crazy rantings?? Have you read it? or just what the reaction is? the paraphrasing out of context, etc? Please tell me - I want to understand where you are coming from.

I disagree with Most of the letter. Last night, I wrote about it for about 2 hours and realized I had only gotten through half of the first page.

It drips with bullstuffing and I'm still not convinced it wasn't written by Cindy Sheehan or Michael Moore.

You know, that just gave me a thought.... it might be faster to only write about what I Agree with in the letter. Might only take a couple minutes.

Anyway, I'm coming closer to the conclusion that this was a "convert or die" letter and I've a hunch this is the kind of diplomacy Arafat enjoyed.

Like he wasn't the guy standing next to the hostage in the picture. If the pres of Iran really says he wrote this, does he think the American people forgot who he is, his past and recent rhetoric and actions? Does he think we're that stupid? (going by his rhetoric, and who echos it on this side of the world... he most assuredly does) It's insulting.

Celumnaz: The letter was written by the evil pinko liberal muslim wet back commies that want to destroy the proud USA. The ones how discriminate you every day. You must combat them!!!!

:P....... a little more and you will be sounding like Joc...

I disagree with Most of the letter. Last night, I wrote about it for about 2 hours and realized I had only gotten through half of the first page.

It drips with bullstuffing and I'm still not convinced it wasn't written by Cindy Sheehan or Michael Moore.

You know, that just gave me a thought.... it might be faster to only write about what I Agree with in the letter. Might only take a couple minutes.

Anyway, I'm coming closer to the conclusion that this was a "convert or die" letter and I've a hunch this is the kind of diplomacy Arafat enjoyed.

Like he wasn't the guy standing next to the hostage in the picture. If the pres of Iran really says he wrote this, does he think the American people forgot who he is, his past and recent rhetoric and actions? Does he think we're that stupid? (going by his rhetoric, and who echos it on this side of the world... he most assuredly does) It's insulting.

Wow! How you you guys be thinking this is a message to convert to Islam before he launches an attack? He's talking about the insanity of the idea trying to be the moral crusader while killing and destroying peoples lives and livelihoods at the at the same time.

Think about everything you've heard about Ahmadinejad. Where did you hear it from? Now imagine that there is no such thing as investigative journalism anymore and reporters, just are parrots that repeat the same stories provided to them by centralised news agencies and the government. The majority of major news outlets are owned by just 5 corporations. There is no journalism anymore as many reporters have themselves admitted, disgusted by their professions.

its funny how people keep sayin he's insane, and yet offer no qoutes to actually back up what their saying, i doubt any of them actually read his letter only the CNN report that came with it. Thing is Ahmadinejad got a Phd in engineering, he's a clever man. Thast what i like, educated people in power, not some idiot cowboy that got handed the presidency from his dadys CIA gangster friends.

Edited by PLO

"going by his rhetoric, and who echos it on this side of the world... he most assuredly does"

What rhetoric?

the letter for an example of his, moveon.org for an example of what I mean by those that echo it on "this side of the world". Other than the religious aspect (which only indicates the irrelivance of religion in this focus), I can't tell them apart.

Wow! How you you guys be thinking this is a message to convert to Islam before he launches an attack?

Because he did.

He's talking about the insanity of the idea trying to be the moral crusader while killing and destroying peoples lives and livelihoods at the at the same time.

:w00t: It's like we were born 5 minutes ago.

You're right about the reporters. Too bad their damage is done with so many. Can I ask you the same question?

My answer is, first word of mouth waay back when I would listen to my father talk about things (Air Force Intelligence in the ME in 60's-70's), I remember. Then, news reports, veiled as you describe, combined with what I heard earlier, throughout the 80's until recently, I remember. Then, personal experience meeting with people from the area and learning what my liberal college professors preached. Then, Internet and "networking" with many other people. Combined with other life experience and what I've learned about the good and bad of human nature I give myself a big picture, look at it, and work out any perceived contradictions. What I'm left with, I go with, right or wrong. Kinda sucks for me to post sources for my memory too, is why I don't say much of what I remember because then I'm spending half the day trying to find an obscure report written in 1987 on the net to prove it to the isolated skulls who don't know any better, yet still try and argue leftist propaganda.

Mekorig, you a good guy and all, so that's why I'm going to do with what you said the same as we should do for the letter we're lookin at. Ignore it. :blush:

"the letter for an example of his"

sorry but you'll have to give me an example of his "rhetoric" from the laetter and explain to me his subversive techniques.

I typed what, 3 pages? of it out yesterday.

explain to me his subversive techniques.

umm... where'd that come from? Is there some unspoken secret out of the bag?

it came from you saying its all rhetoric. Give me a quote from his letter and explain the rhetoric behind it and why you dissagree with what he says.

But you used the word subversive. It IS all rhetoric... everything we're saying is rhetoric. Of course it's all rhetoric. I typed out 3 pages of it yesterday, and after reading it so many times I've decided it's not worth even a head nod.

I disagree with almost every premise, and every half truth he states. Everything I'd point out has "amazingly" (not) been hashed and rehashed here on UM in other topics. He's echoing moveon.org, like many posters here do.

There's nothing new in the letter, but it is a Great summary of Democrat talking points. Awesome summary of that. Pelosi couldn't have done better herself.

But why did you use the word subversive?

because Rhetoric is the art or technique of persuasion, i find that to be decidely subversive if used in the context your implying. But you still actually havent highlighted anythign he's said and the implications his statements have on you, so.....if you dont actually want to discuss his letter thats fine.

Well no everythign wee say isnt rhetoric, its how we say it that makes it rhetoric

Edited by PLO

PLO, you and me, everything we say is rhetoric.

Bush lied, Israel shouldn't exsist, Iran only wants peaceful Nuke energy, Democracy has failed, the world wants to be united under Allah...

I've said I disagree with pretty much All of it. Anything specific You'd like to address? I don't think any of it deserves a second glance, I've given it Way more than it deserves already.

If left unabated, Iran will develop nuclear weapons and sell them to terrorists who will use them on an American city or Israel or anywhere that they feel they can gain a foothold by doing so.

If you don't believe that....you are not dealing with reality. Hopefully, reality will not slap you between the eyes someday at ground zero in your home city!

"Iran will develop nuclear weapons and sell them to terrorists who will use them on an American city or Israel or anywhere that they feel they can gain a foothold by doing so.

If you don't believe that....you are not dealing with reality"

you must be pretty far detached from reality if you think theres even a chance any "terrorist" network could acheive this. Youve obviously bought the propaganda about Iran now, so why havnt Pakistan done this a long time ago?, sell nuclear weapons to terrorists exactly?

so why havnt Pakistan done this a long time ago?, sell nuclear weapons to terrorists exactly?

Quite simply because Pakistan is not Iran.

That Iran is a terrorist nation is not propoganda. It's fact Jack...deal with it.