Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Megaladon

hypnotist

I was just wondering (after seeing pictures in UM gallery) what is the main theory of extinction for the megaladon?

My only reason for asking is that based on survival of the fittest ther would hardly have been a creature that wasnt beloiw it on the food chain, so hunted to extinction isnt an option!

:hmm:

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• psyche101

• robbieb

• hypnotist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just wondering (after seeing pictures in UM gallery) what is the main theory of extinction for the megaladon?

My only reason for asking is that based on survival of the fittest ther would hardly have been a creature that wasnt beloiw it on the food chain, so hunted to extinction isnt an option!

:hmm:

There are some theories (by crazy people) that the megaladon is still alive but just lives very deep in the water.... I think that by now we would of seen something like that :hmm::cry:

It probably didnt need its size and maybe "evolved" out of its massive state, maybe its blood lines mixed with normal sharks and simply went out like that... i dont know, i got nothing

It probably didnt need its size and maybe "evolved" out of its massive state, maybe its blood lines mixed with normal sharks and simply went out like that... i dont know, i got nothing

I have to agree with this statement...

Megaladon evolved into most likely your modern day Great White Shark.

I have to agree with this statement...

Megaladon evolved into most likely your modern day Great White Shark.

The Megaladon teeth that has been found do look like that of a White Shark.

Maybe then they are still around, just smaller.

Megaladon evolved into most likely your modern day Great White Shark

That is impossible, as the Great white shark CO-EXISTED with Megalodon..The probable extinction is that, as with all large predators, sometimes the ecosystem just can't support a massive (niche) animal like that...Thus, they died.

They were on the top of the food chain, so they weren't hunted to extinction, but maybe they hunted to extinction? They were pretty big (to use the understatement of the year), and they would've had a hard time surviving if they ran out of great big things to eat.

But then again what do I know? I wasn't there. :)

They were pretty big (to use the understatement of the year), and they would've had a hard time surviving if they ran out of great big things to eat.

Not just physically, they also occupied a large ecological niche...More prone to disaster.

Not just physically, they also occupied a large ecological niche...More prone to disaster.

imagine if they found them to still be living in the deep deep sea...... i would never swim in the ocean again

some posters posted that they might have evolved out of their size. call me noob, but how did they evolve that big in the first place? or did the sizes of the main creatures in the ocean dat time evolved smaller together, which seems highly unlikely unless their habitats changed drastically, but most would want to stay big? iono. im just spamming something..

In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island. The men had been at work on the fishing grounds--which lie in deep water--when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all." These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds. The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast. But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as an indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well. One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood--about 115 feet! They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark. They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson's Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches. Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before! One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish color of the vast fish."(3)

In this popular account, we apparently have credible witnesses, and a knowledgeable investigator, Stead, who believed the fishermen were telling the truth (and that they may have witnessed a living Megalodon). I believe the "fact" that they did not return to sea for days could be added to their credibility, and to their loss in wages after the apparently traumatic experience (unless they were hoaxing the entire event, of course.) We also have some rather strange features in this report, including the tremendous lengths the fishermen reported, if we cannot attribute these to exaggeration due to intense fear. If we cannot, then it seems if Megalodon has survived, it may have grown bigger, and I am not sure which idea is scarier.

source http://www.strangemag.com/megalodon.html

some posters posted that they might have evolved out of their size. call me noob, but how did they evolve that big in the first place? or did the sizes of the main creatures in the ocean dat time evolved smaller together, which seems highly unlikely unless their habitats changed drastically, but most would want to stay big? iono. im just spamming something..

I never said they outgrew their ecosystem...I said that since they occupied a large ecological niche, they were more prone to disaster, which probably caused their extinctions...Remember Great Whites survived...

Possebly when the meteor hit earth? or its still down in the ocean... We have only looked through the 3% of the ocean... 97% left to search. The giant squid was thought to be a myth... Then one is found in the belly of a whale. There is the coelacanth witch was suppesodly exstinct over 70 million years ago. Then a living one is found off the coast of Africa in 1938. So there could still be some left...

Edited by Cryticman

Possebly when the meteor hit earth? or its still down in the ocean... We have only looked through the 3% of the ocean... 97% left to search. The giant squid was thought to be a myth... Then one is found in the belly of a whale. There is the coelacanth witch was suppesodly exstinct over 70 million years ago. Then a living one is found off the coast of Africa in 1938. So there could still be some left...

i hope so, that would be an amazing discovery if one was found to say the least.

i hope so, that would be an amazing discovery if one was found to say the least.

I'm not going into the ocean ever again if they find one.... :wacko: :wacko:

I never said they outgrew their ecosystem...I said that since they occupied a large ecological niche, they were more prone to disaster, which probably caused their extinctions...Remember Great Whites survived...

I think your right..............for once :P

lol jk but seriously this is a good theory

That is somewhat of an embellishment.

1 Giant squid was never a myth. No live specimens had been captured physically or on film. The existance of the creature however was known to science.

2. The Coelecanth was 68 years ago and probaby more due to how much of that area of water had been documented. Odds on it was no secret to the naitives who described it as a cod.

Consider the blonde lobster. If we can find somethng so small in such a remote location, chances are anything the size of Megaldon is very unlikely to exist.

Edited by psyche101

Well the T-Rex was thought to be at the top of his food chain. And somehow wether it be by evolution or a meteorite explosion, he just disappeared. He had few rivals and an unlimited food supply, so they're basically in the same boat. If you take a look at the wild life today, everything seems to have shrunk. Only whales, and elephants even begin to rival the hugeness of the dinasaurs. Maybe he evolved into a smaller creature; that being a great white shark. But what the heck do I know, it's just a hypothesis!

^ Hi Eye of the Storm :)

Some holes in that hypothesis, as Frogfish pointed out they existed at athe same time, hard to evolve into your neighbour (or lunch) :D

T Rex, didn't just dissapear, check out the paleantology section. Plenty of interesting threads discussing the subject there. Very good reading I must add. :tu:

For the difference between Megalodon Carcharodon and Megalodon Carcharocles have a look here. :o

Edited by psyche101

2. The Coelecanth was 68 years ago and probaby more due to how much of that area of water had been documented. Odds on it was no secret to the naitives who described it as a cod.

Consider the blonde lobster. If we can find somethng so small in such a remote location, chances are anything the size of Megaldon is very unlikely to exist.

:yes: the coelecanth is a much smaller animal than Megalodon...It occupies a much smaller niche.

Some holes in that hypothesis, as Frogfish pointed out they existed at athe same time, hard to evolve into your neighbour (or lunch)

T Rex, didn't just dissapear, check out the paleantology section. Plenty of interesting threads discussing the subject there. Very good reading I must add.

For the difference between Megalodon Carcharodon and Megalodon Carcharocles have a look here.

Thank you Psyche :yes:

I think the reason most animals die out is lack of food....If they can't eat they can't live.. :hmm:

That is somewhat of an embellishment.

1 Giant squid was never a myth. No live specimens had been captured physically or on film. The existance of the creature however was known to science.

giant squid has been caught on film it was very recent i belive by the japaneese its a very exciting movei and wonderful pics

Edited by robbieb

There are some theories (by crazy people) that the megaladon is still alive but just lives very deep in the water.... I think that by now we would of seen something like that.

Many would argue on these boards that the Megalodon still exists.

Whilst I personally haven't made up my mind and come to such a conclusion, I do think its unfair to lable these people as crazy, particularly on a board like UM.com. I've been noticing a trend lately of the skeptics flaming others for their beliefs without good cause.

In their defense, on a planet in which seventy percent of the surface is water, we've only charted and explored an extremely limited amount of our oceans. I believe someone recently claimed the percentage of earth's oceans currently explored is only a little over 2% - probably an embelishment, but you get the point. Who's to say that somewhere, further down than man is able to travel, Megalodon's dont still exist?

That is impossible, as the Great white shark CO-EXISTED with Megalodon..The probable extinction is that, as with all large predators, sometimes the ecosystem just can't support a massive (niche) animal like that...Thus, they died.

Precisely what I was going to say. Nothing more to really add, seeing as this is the most likely theory behind their extinction.

MEEE I KILLED THEM.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. no but seriosuyl i did...

Bwahahahahahaha

:rofl::lol:

You have a twisted sense of humour. I Like it :D