Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

grolar bear shot-cross between grizz and pola

jeceris

new type of bear discovered.

this could maybe help the polar to survive the extinction they face with global warming and not being able to stay out on the ice flows until june.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...rolar-bear.html

Edited by Lottie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pax Unum

• Jeenuh

• frogfish

• robbieb

I wonder if it was sterile... you'd think this would have happened before... interesting story :tu:

I wonder if it was sterile

Probably was...Stupid officers were trying to charge him with the shooting of a grizzly...

Probably was...Stupid officers were trying to charge him with the shooting of a grizzly...

yea, that was dumb, how'd he know it was a hybrid... :unsure:

Edited by Pax Unum

maybe it just means the polar bears are adapting to not having tons of ice around?

or theres a grizzly bear out there, that only dates white bears.... :D

or maby the polar bears have jungel fever? no but seriosuly as i said inanother post its not unheard of for them to inter breed and some scientist belive that they are of the same species and just diffrent sub species. i belive this is the case i8 feel polar bears are a sub species of brown bear

Roger Kuptana, an Inuit tracker from the Northwest Territories, suspected the American hunter he was guiding had shot a hybrid bear after noticing its white fur was spotted brown and it had the long claws and slightly humped back of a grizzly.

Territorial officials seized the bear's body and a DNA test from Wildlife Genetics International, a lab in British Columbia, confirmed the hybrid was born of a polar bear mother and grizzly father.

``It's something we've all known was theoretically possible because their habitats overlap a little bit and their breeding seasons overlap a little bit,'' said Ian Stirling, a biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton, Alberta. ``It's the first time it's known to have happened in the wild.''

He said the first person to realize something was different about the bear - shot and killed last month on the southern end of Banks Island in the Beaufort Sea - was Kuptana, the guide.

``These guides know their animals and they recognized that there were a number of things that didn't look quite right for a polar bear,'' Stirling told The Associated Press. The bear's eyes were ringed with black, its face was slightly indented, it had a mild hump to its back and long claws.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story######p.../2007730458.htm

Edited by the14u2cee

cool

so is this a golar bear or a prizlly bear

and is it sterile cos arnet other hybrids sterile?

so many questions...

cool

so is this a golar bear or a prizlly bear

and is it sterile cos arnet other hybrids sterile?

so many questions...

Sorry, i forgot to add the site, its on there now... :)

the14u2cee,

I have merged your thread with this one. :tu:

;) Thank You LOTTIE :tu:

or maby the polar bears have jungel fever? no but seriosuly as i said inanother post its not unheard of for them to inter breed and some scientist belive that they are of the same species and just diffrent sub species. i belive this is the case i8 feel polar bears are a sub species of brown bear

uh, i believe they said that it was uncommon because polar bears mate on the ice and grizzily bears mate on the ground.

ok think aobut that for a second now there ranges over lap and ther breeding seasons over lap so there u go. second it has happed in zoos before. and polar bears dont have the ice sheets in spring it melts so they are on solid ground too

Cool, a bear with the eleganse of a polarbear and the frightness of a grizzly. :)

I seem to see panda eyes on it, a beauty, tis a shame it is shot dead. :(

Edited by Kaknelson