Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show me proof

theSOURCE

*shuffles feet nervously*

Ok, this is a dicussion forum, and the very subject of the 'supernatural' always provokes extreme reactions from believers and sceptics alike.

I have met with The Druid in several other forums and have found him to be a very pleasant individual with a wicked sense of humour. The main problem with these forums is that the written word doesn't allow any readers to see that what was written was in a light-hearted manner, with a tongue lodged firmly in a cheek. I am sure he meant no offence to you Nancy.

The Druid has his own view on ghosts and spirits but has sent me some very supportive messages to help me get over the loss of my mother.

I hope this clears the air here - it's a great forum and I've made some lovely friends here.

Yours with respect

Hammy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy

• theSOURCE

• reese2

• The Druid

And if thats alright with everyone that's that settled, a thought has just occured to me though as I was reading the last post, about the tongue in cheek, and that no-one can tell if it meant that way, especially with newer members, it may be a good idea that if somewhere in the thread that is not meant 100% seriously that this: tongue.gif smily would be used. That way people would know when it was serious or not.

I always remember what it was like to not believe anything, before things happened to me, so I never expect anyone to take my word for it. I would probably think there was something wrong with someone, that never had an experience, if they blindly took my word for everything.

Basically, I think you were a good girl, as always. tongue.giforiginal.gif

Reese

rolleyes.gif Reese? Thank you! As expected, you are honest with me and straight forward.

Again, I agree with you.

Also? To my knowledge, I have never insisted that anyone blindly believe each word and take it as gospel. I merely related the information, as known to me. But when someone with whom I have not personally communicated here on UM says all is nonsense, including the suicide of my step-son........ I do take offense and feel those type of "discussions" are inflamatory.

Thanks Lady......... wub.gifthumbsup.gif

gonzo........ THUD...... Whew, that came out of left field!

Respect has to be earned and I am floored by your kind words.

Thank you! wink2.gif

*shuffles feet nervously*

The main problem with these forums is that the written word doesn't allow any readers to see that what was written was in a light-hearted manner, with a tongue lodged firmly in a cheek. I am sure he meant no offence to you Nancy.

The Druid has his own view on ghosts and spirits but has sent me some very supportive messages to help me get over the loss of my mother.

I hope this clears the air here - it's a great forum and I've made some lovely friends here.

Yours with respect

Hammy

Hammy,

I appreciate your input as well. Please understand I am not trying to magnify what has happened on this Thread, but it is indicitive of the attitude of many other Members and when it happens, I feel justified in going somewhat in-depth to, as you say to, "clear the air."

I have chosen a few words from your post to quote....

Hammy? Of course Druid has his own opinions! Airing those are what this forum is about, not attacking individuals, especially without knowing the full facts.

Ahhhhhh yes, we have to use the Written word here, that is part of the plan LOL!

As a result, those written words should be chosen carefully so that your statment comes to fruition. Yes, I still feel "offended" but I'm a big girl without a thin skin.

Funny, he helped you with the loss of your Mother (I am very sorry about your loss!) yet, the Yellow Rose deals with my loss of my Father and his reference to my step-son's suicide is another personal loss. So why were my statements attacked? Gadzzzzzzz who knows, tis all H2O over the dam.

Nancy

especially with newer members, it may be a good idea that if somewhere in the thread that is not meant 100% seriously that this: tongue.gif smily would be used. That way people would know when it was serious or not.

Al? Your wisdom shines through once again! Bingo!!!! Thank you for taking the time to give all of us, food for thought! See? The Boss has chosen his Staff well!

Funny, he helped you with the loss of your Mother (I am very sorry about your loss!) yet, the Yellow Rose deals with my loss of my Father and his reference to my step-son's suicide is another personal loss. So why were my statements attacked? Gadzzzzzzz who knows, tis all H2O over the dam.

Nancy

Nancy, I was thinking the same thing. And I don't blame you for being offended, I would have been too, if that was my personal experience being written about.(those stories are not put up for criticism) sad.gif

It's the truth Nancy, I think you are the sweetest person I've never met. And you know how to defend yourself against insults without getting ugly, that is respectable.

Wish I'd said that! It's true of course. original.gif

A:21

Wish I'd said that! It's true of course. original.gif

A:21

A:21.......... whew, My ego will shortly be so inflated, I won't be able to get out the door here at UM!

Thank you..... very much blush.gifblush.gifwub.gif

Now? Perhaps a good idea to get back to theSOURCE's "show me proof" lol!

whistling2.gif

Nancy

I cannot possibly imagine you ever being banned from this forum. You've always shown respect for other member's views, and you have always replied with grace, and that charming wit of yours. Tongue in cheek or not, I believe you were unfairly criticized for having expressed your point of view.

I also agree with KC - someone's personal experiences should be considered a source for discussion and shared opinion, and not a target for derision and childish vituperation.

I also agree with KC - someone's personal experiences should be considered a source for discussion and shared opinion, and not a target for derision and childish vituperation.

SOURCE...... Thank You! Heck, I do try to behave......

Your words are appreciated very much wub.gif

*Nancy exits UM frantically searching for her Merriam-Webster... ekkk!*

• 1 month later...

Okay Sourcie-baby I don't think we should have to convince you of the paranormal, why should we? If you want to "talk to ghosts" then why don't you drag our your spirit board? I'm not going to say the paranormal is real or not to you in this board. (by the way it is) So I'm not going to waste my time. Anyway you got good points but if you want to "see" the paranormal then why don't you take a tour of a haunted site?

If you go to places thinking "oh I'm going to see a ghost today!" Your not, if you go in not thinking of anything they will come to you.

Sasquatch? I'm not to sure if that's real or not I'll have to go for a walk in the nearby woods.

And who's knows if our wet friend Nessie is real? I'm not to sure. Many people believe in the Nessie story. Me? Maybe.

Happy Holidays campers.

I admit that I am new and therefore have had no prior contact with anyone on this site;thus I will approach this discussion with care. Perhaps the wisest thing that I have heard regarding speaking about subjects refering to personal loss is "Always speak well of the dead." Nancy I sypathize with your loss as one who has in my short life had many friends and family taken to the Hereafter. As for the need of proof I have this to say.

I am a Christian (No DENOMINATION!), I believe there is a God and I believe the Bible is His word; and that as God's word it is truth. Can I prove this with science? NO, not really. Can I prove it by showing the Scriptures? Again no; if a person chooses not to believe they will always find an arguement to discredit the other side. It all boils down to the fact that I believe becauseI choose to believe. And without the desire to believe nothing else will matter. grin2.gif

Okay Sourcie-baby I don't think we should have to convince you of the paranormal, why should we?

I've had my own personal experiences with things I have no explanation for, and I'm not asking to be convinced that strange things do happen. I emphasize this point because for some reason people tend to over look this statement in my posts. huh.gif

My point is that many times people will jump to the conclusion that what they experience is "paranormal" without looking for logical, practical, and/or mundane explanations. Let's face it, it's more fun to believe that what you saw was a ghost, rather than a trick of light and an overactive imagination. tongue.gif

Mention the acronym UFO to some people and they instantly equate it to alien spacecraft. I've seen UFOs, i.e.. Unidentified Flying Objects. They did not move through the air like conventional aircraft, and some of them had very unusual shapes. I know I saw them.

But I'm not going to tell you I saw alien craft or even secret experimental aircraft because I don't know what they were. And I believe jumping to the "alien" explanation without any proof at all would be foolish.

If you want to "talk to ghosts" then why don't you drag our your spirit board?

If by "spirit board" you mean Ouija board, I owned one for years. The thing never worked for me. I guess the spirits found me unworthy of answering any of my questions. crying.gif

I'm not going to say the paranormal is real or not to you in this board. (by the way it is)So I'm not going to waste my time. Anyway you got good points but if you want to "see" the paranormal then why don't you take a tour of a haunted site?

I've already posted several of my "experiences" with the paranormal. I've also posted several instances where I did my own investigations and found very simple and logical explanations to otherwise mysterious occurrences.

And your claim about the paranormal being real "by the way it is" really means nothing if you don't have anything to back it up. It is simply your opinion.

Certain cryptids may exist because they may simple be as-yet undiscovered species of animals. But start telling me that Bigfoot exists in another dimension and refuses to be photographed unless he's paid the salary of a runway model and I start to become more than a bit skeptical of those claims. rolleyes.gif

I can believe someone who tells me they saw or experienced something unusual, but I refuse to accept any extraordinary explanation without proof.

I admit that I am new and therefore have had no prior contact with anyone on this site;thus I will approach this discussion with care. Perhaps the wisest thing that I have heard regarding speaking about subjects refering to personal loss is "Always speak well of the dead." Nancy I sypathize with your loss as one who has in my short life had many friends and family taken to the Hereafter.

crosswarrior.......

Welcome Aboard!!Thank you for you sweet words. 'Tis something we all go through, yet knowing we are not alone in doing so, never makes the loss of someone you love, easier.

I can believe someone who tells me they saw or experienced something unusual, but I refuse to accept any extraordinary explanation without proof.

Ahhhh HA! There's the "Rub" making it difficult if not impossible to convince you, Source.

Question: If you and I witnessed the same "unexplainable event" at the same time, together......... would you ask me for proof then?

Gads, I had no idea this thread was still 'alive'!

Ahhhh HA! There's the "Rub" making it difficult if not impossible to convince you, Source.

Question: If you and I witnessed the same "unexplainable event" at the same time, together......... would you ask me for proof then?

Gads, I had no idea this thread was still 'alive'!

I overlooked your reply, Nancy. A thousand pardons my lady. original.gif

To answer your question; no and yes. No, I wouldn't ask for proof that you and I had witnessed something unusual.

However, depending on what explanation you gave to the event, I might ask for proof.

Example: You and I witness a strange light floating in a field. I wouldn't need proof that the light was there because I saw it with my own eyes. But if you were to tell me that what we saw was, in fact, a fairy, then I would ask you to prove it, since all I saw was a light.

However, depending on what explanation you gave to the event, I might ask for proof.

Example: You and I witness a strange light floating in a field. I wouldn't need proof that the light was there because I saw it with my own eyes. But if you were to tell me that what we saw was, in fact, a fairy, then I would ask you to prove it, since all I saw was a light.

SOURCE? Prove to me that "all" you saw was a light.......... whistling2.gif

(no need to apologize for overlooking my reply, 'tis ok!)

SOURCE? Prove to me that "all" you saw was a light.......... whistling2.gif

(no need to apologize for overlooking my reply, 'tis ok!)

laugh.gif

You're right. I can't prove that all I saw was a light. And it's the lack of proof that's been my rant from the beginning.

However, I would first look for more mundane explanations - misidentified light sources (car headlights, etc.), ball lightning, plasma discharges, good ol' hoaxes - before I would consider what I saw was a fairy. The phenomena I mentioned have been proven to exist...fairies have not.

Isn't it more practical to exhaust the list of natural possibilities before considering the supernatural? dontgetit.gif

theSOURCE..........

You're right.

*Nancy running to enter these few words into her diary*

Yes, I do agree. 'Tis better to eliminate the potential known causes, before automatically 'jumping' to the Unknown. However, based on my limited education, not sure if I would know all the "natural" possibilities. Now what? wacko.gif