Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia will develop Rocket for New-Spacecraft

Shuriken

Russia to Develop Rocket for New-Generation Manned Spacecraft

Created: 12.05.2006 17:28 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 17:28 MSK

MosNews

Two major Russian space enterprises — Samara-based TsKB Progress and the Rocket and Space Corporation Energia, based near Moscow — have agreed to develop the Soyuz-2-3 rocket to launch a new-generation manned spacecraft, the “Clipper”, RIA Novosti news agency reports.

“The first stage of the project envisages putting an 11-ton spacecraft into a 200-km orbit on the Soyuz-2-3 under the Federal Space Program, in the interests of the Defense Ministry, and within international space cooperation programs,” Oxana Yefimenko, the press secretary at TsKB Progress said. At the second stage, the rocket’s capacity would be upped to 13 tons, to launch the Clipper space plane, with a possible further increase to over 16 tons after engine modernization, Yefimenko said.

The Clipper is a six-person spacecraft that can be used to send astronauts into orbit, and potentially to the Moon or Mars. The new manned craft will allow four non-professionals to be taken into space alongside two professional cosmonauts, and is expected to be used for space tourism, Nikolai Sevastianov, President of the Rocket and Space Corporation Energia said. The Clipper’s first lift-off is scheduled for 2012, with the first manned flight expected a year later.

Source

------------------------------------------

I wonder what it will be like...

Edited by Shuriken

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shuriken

• Waspie_Dwarf

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what it will be like...

The Soyuz 2-3 launncher or the Kliper spacecraft?

Kliper is very similar to the lifting body vehicles NASA tested in the 70's or to the life boat spacecraft they cancelled a few years ago (I can't remember it's X number)

Externally the Soyuz 2-3 looks identical to the current launcher used for the Soyuz and progress missions to the ISS.

-----------------------------

I am moving this thread to the Space & Astronomy forum as it seems better suited there.

Waspie_Dwarf

I meant the spacecraft.