Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Brazilian Stonehenge'

Pax Unum

Brazilian archaeologists have found an ancient stone structure in a remote corner of the Amazon that may cast new light on the region's past.

The site, thought to be an observatory or place of worship, pre-dates European colonisation and is said to suggest a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.

Its appearance is being compared to the English site of Stonehenge.

It was traditionally thought that before European colonisation, the Amazon had no advanced societies.

Winter solstice

The archaeologists made the discovery in the state of Amapa, in the far north of Brazil.

A total of 127 large blocks of stone were found driven into the ground on top of a hill.

The layout suggests a temple or an observatory

Well preserved and each weighing several tons, the stones were arranged upright and evenly spaced.

It is not yet known when the structure was built, but fragments of indigenous pottery found at the site are thought to be 2,000 years old.

What impressed researchers was the sophistication of the construction.

The stones appear to have been laid out to help pinpoint the winter solstice, when the sun is at its lowest in the sky.

It is thought the ancient people of the Amazon used the stars and phases of the moon to determine crop cycles.

Although the discovery at Amapa is being compared to Stonehenge, the ancient stone circle in southern England, the English site is considerably older.

It is thought to have been erected some time between 3000 and 1600 BC.

LINK-> 'Brazilian Stonehenge' discovered

Edited by Pax Unum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pax Unum

• Feanor

• bosnian

• Bio-Mage

Brazilian archaeologists have found an ancient stone structure in a remote corner of the Amazon that may cast new light on the region's past.

The site, thought to be an observatory or place of worship, pre-dates European colonisation and is said to suggest a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.

Its appearance is being compared to the English site of Stonehenge.

It was traditionally thought that before European colonisation, the Amazon had no advanced societies.

LINK-> 'Brazilian Stonehenge' discovered

its great. and we are going to keep finding these places there are so many discovered all over the world, it shows people were travelling way before we give them credit for aligning building and monuments happens everywhere. in newgrange wich was built 500 years before the egyptian pyramids, if you start looking at ancient monuments chances are you will find its aligned to winter or summer or both solaciste

I agree... it appears there was much more going on in the ancient world, than modern science gives credit for... :tu:

Thats Amazing, I will do more research on this issue, after all I am Brazilian.

If they prove this is 2000 years old, a lot of history will need be re-writen.

thx for this Pax!!!

Edited by Feanor

Thats Amazing, I will do mo research on this issue, after all I am Brazilian.

If they prove this is 2000 yearsa lot of history will need be re-writen.

thx for this Pax!!!

glad to help!, it's always good to have someone local, to keep an eye on new finds :tu:

Maybe this will help pinpoint the origin of this kind of structure. Do we know if the date corresponds with the construction of the original Stonehenge?

Maybe this will help pinpoint the origin of this kind of structure. Do we know if the date corresponds with the construction of the original Stonehenge?

It is thought to have been erected some time between 3000 and 1600 BC...

That means that both are build within the same time frame. Very interesting !!!

at the same time as stonehenge, eh??

that really is exciting!

one day science will concede that perhaps our ancestors weren't all a bunch of bumbling cavemen idiots.

Thats Amazing, I will do more research on this issue, after all I am Brazilian.

If they prove this is 2000 years old, a lot of history will need be re-writen.

thx for this Pax!!!

Anything new? Any photo???

The archeologists already found that in the winter solstice, the sun pass right in the middle of one of the stones. The one with a hole. They believe this stone circle were made to indicate the better period for plantations...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I will be following the new and posting here as soon as new info apears regarding this...

Cyall!

The archeologists already found that in the winter solstice, the sun pass right in the middle of one of the stones. The one with a hole. They believe this stone circle were made to indicate the better period for plantations...

In terms of time 1,000 of years are very little in the big picture.

How much would the alignment change over time? Would the sun go through the hole when the stones were placed?

Being stupid, my chair is located for early sunset in Summer, to make sure (assuming nice weather) I get the evening sun.

As the sun moves I tend to move the chair also, so after 30 mins the original position is obsolete.

Daft comparison I know....

I would assume that 5k years is not sufficient for aligments to alter or am I wrong in this?

Very glad I found this thread as am fully enjoying this one, so thank you all :)

I don´t think they are reffering to acctual solstice, but about 2000 years ago, when the stones were erected.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I will be following the new and posting here as soon as new info apears regarding this...

Cyall!

Thank you :)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cyall!

thanks for posting those pictures :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Theres only one Stonehenge and it aint in Brazil :no: Although it is impressive it cant be likend to Stonehenge

Theres only one Stonehenge and it aint in Brazil Although it is impressive it cant be likend to Stonehenge

Think the other posters where just using stonehenge as a comparison.

Interesting pics!

Think the other posters where just using stonehenge as a comparison.

Interesting pics!

You are right! The archeologists that found thisstone circle, just used the word stonehenge to simbolize the importance of this find. Of course its different, but it they find the exact date of the stone, that they already believe to be 2000 years old. Many things for Brazilian history will need be re-writen.