Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

St Osyth's Day

Agent_21

St Osyth was the wife of 7th century King Sighere, but quit his court for life in a nunnery at Cich - now St Osyth - in Essex. Unfortunately she came to a violent end when Danish pirated decapitated her. She is said to have achieved the unusual feat of carrying her severed head for 3 miles.

To keep your household free of adverse influences for the next year follow this ritual before bed. Rake the ashes from your grate and mark them with a cross, then offer a prayer to the saint to protect the house from fire, water and all other calamities.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent_21

• Cufflink

• Phantom

• dancin'hamster

Top Posters In This Topic

Criminey Agent ~ you're a font of knowledge!!!

Carried her head for how far?????

Hammy x x x

She is said to have achieved the unusual feat of carrying her severed head for 3 miles.

That bit reminded me of Peter Kuerten:

On July 2nd 1932, the ‘Düsseldorf Vampire’ went to his death at a guillotine erected in the yard of the Klingelputz Prison. Kürten expressed his last earthly desire on the way to the yard: "Tell me", he asked the prison psychiatrist, "after my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment, the sound of my own blood gushing from the stump of my neck?" He savoured this thought for a while, then added, "that would be the pleasure to end all pleasures."

Full story

Source: Crime Library

Edited by Phantom

Rake the ashes from your grate and mark them with a cross, then offer a prayer to the saint to protect the house from fire, water and all other calamities.

What do you do if you've got a gas fire? blink.gif

What do you do if you've got a gas fire?  blink.gif

Pray you don't get a leak. laugh.gif

What do you do if you've got a gas fire?  blink.gif

Pray you don't get a leak. laugh.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

To think, all this entertainment, free of charge. tongue.gif