Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wild beasts roaming the countryside.

fletch

Are they big cats or a big joke?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are they big cats or a big joke?

• They are big cats
    • They are a hoax
    • dont know

With the recent discovery of a 350lb tiger and 5 foot alligator in a New York flat is it possible that there are a number of private collectors of dangerous wild animals not found in the US or the UK. If so could it also be possible that some of the animals have out grown their welcome and released back into the wild. Thus creating sightings of big cats on unfamiliar territory (e.g. the beast of Bodmin Moore). Or are these sightings nothing more than domestic cats or hoaxes.

cat.gif

if these sightings are real should these animals be left alone in their new homes?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjo Koolzooie

• tori111

• Seraphina

• Athlon64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I should imagine it is possible for such creatures to be roaming around the country sides etc.

As there was a confession a while back on TV from a man who said that he had released some tigers and a puma into the wild, so he didi not have to have them taken off him or have to pay for them, I would say that it accounts for a fair number of sightings, The man and others like him who released the cats are the ones who are responsible for the large amount of sighitngs as they adapted to their new environment.

These people that released the cats are not the only ones responsible, some zoo's also are responsible, and for the rest of the sightings there are plenty of normal cats that are ferral, and these also make up a percentage of sightings.

Althalus, I remember about that now. It is amazing what thing you know but sometimes forget. rolleyes.gif

Releasing a puma into the English countryside is a debatable issue, but a TIGER ! blink.gif

Chris Low.

There was another thread about this elsewhere...I'll just say the same I said then...

I think there's no doubt whatsoever that 'big cats' are out there...heck, there was a tv program in the UK a while back called Animal X which was hosted by the skeptics of skeptics, and that was the only thing (among bigfoot, nessie, the tazzmanian tiger, the yeti, and so on) that he actually thought was real.

As for them being out there...I say leave them be. To this day, I don't recall hearing about a single person being killed by one...just a few sheep here and there. They've been around so long that, to be honest, they're integrating into our environment very well, and since the natural balance hasn't been upset (what else are you gonna use the sheep for, let's face it), there's no real reason to go after them.

In countries like Africa, India and so on, some people live with big cats every single day...yet attacks are infrequent. I pointed out one example where native folk walk their children to school across plains inhabited by lions...and the lions run like hell. They're under no illusion that, if they did attack a human, then they would be very quickly hunted down and killed. Our local big cats will likely be much the same. They're eating sheep, they're not eating people, and they've no reason to start eating people either, there isn't a country in the world were we have natural predators.

(edits the above so it says lions instead of loins...the idea of people wandering through a field of testicles is somewhat...weird)

• 2 weeks later...

.It would be interesting to know what kind of habitat in the uk these big cats have taken up residence in? I was driving through the snake pass,towards sheffield..it certainly looked the type of place where a puma might take up residence.Especially when in the early 70s when people released these animals around the snake pass due to the introduction of strict laws.

But wouldnt thsese animals be killed of by the harsh british winters?Esp tigers and lepoards that originate from warm climates?

I,ve never heared of anyone mention Cheethas or Lions being released in the uk?

cheers original.gif

(soz about the typos)

Well, the Bengal Tiger may live in a warm climate.....but the Siberian Tiger certainly doesn't !

Chris Low.

I remember when they bought in the law against having a dangerous animal as a pet in the 1970's, you now had to pay for a very expensive special Dangerous animals licence and pass all the checks for safety, not passing meant a huge fine. It was right after the trend for having a Leopard or a Puma as a stylish pet in England and America. Very soon after there were a flurry of reported sightings of Panthers and Leopards prowling about in the countryside!

Also worrying is the fact that a few years ago it was trendy to have a wolf hybred as a pet. After the dangerous dogs act, I wonder what happened to them???

HI

True...Siberians are from cold climates...although nearly extinct.They would be able to survive here i guess as far as climate is concerned. Would be really interesting to know what type of big cats people released..besides the well known types eg Pumas, Leopards, Lynx, etc... that people kept?Snow Leopards perhaps...Lions maybe..or Cheethas..Caracal?

Watched a Doc a while back on a women in Essex who was selling Zoo animals illegaly...to private collecters..including a male lion!!! She also sold a Anaconda...which raises an interesting..point...do any of you think any of these types of large snakes might have been released into the wild here...and survived!! ohmy.gif ?

A albino lion that i thought you might want to see...with it being so unusual.

Cheers

post-9-1066846129.jpg

I doubt an anacondo could be out there, no...given they usually eat pretty big things, they end up having to sit for hours and hours to digest their food...if one did get out there, it would either starve to death at not finding anything to eat, or be found (and likely shot on the spot) when it was done gorging off a cow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Yes they are capable of tackling large prey in there wild habitat..but usually small deer and water birds are there main diet.So if one did escape ..food would not really be the problem.They could quite easily live of Rabbits,Geese and other large water birds.

It would be the weather i think that might kill them off.But if one was to escape in the summer months down south near a Nature water reserve then the potentiol would be there.What do you think?

Yeh..you're right if it did try and swallow a Cow the chances are it would be spotted next morning stiil trying to swallow the poor beast!

It fascinates me to think what types of animals that are usually use to living in the tropics, would survive here if they escaped?

I read in a article that there was a pair of Mynah birds living near a Dorset forest.Locals spotted them on several occasions in the summer months.Not sure what happened after that.Winter prob killed them off. sad.gif

cheers

mike

Even though I'm not from the UK I belive that they are big cats just because the videos I have seen of them, and because they can survive well in that type of climate. Especially the ones adapted for mountains and snowy areas. Also I believe there are parts of the USA with abc's as well. My mom was driving along the coastal roads here in Oregon, and saw what appeared to be a black panther, which definitly isn't native to the USA. She said that there was no doubt that it was a big cat though.

• 3 weeks later...

certainly. i am only ol cajun from louisiana, but even ere we have our own ABC(alien big cats). de damn G-men always say dat dere are no more panthers in Louisiana, but ery once in a while some ol coonass down in de swamps will see one(or an ol redneck in de stykes, i'll give yall de credit yall deserve). panters are still around wit lots of udder big cats. cat.gif

yeah i think that are wild beast roaming probably a evolved big cat or bear

A albino lion that i thought you might want to see...with it being so unusual.

Cheers

That Lion, wow! It looks great. Looks like something out of a fantasy novel.