Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eltanin Antenna - Mysterious Undersea Structure

Magikman

Here's an interesting article from Whitley Striebers Unknown Country website;

"Between 1962 and 1979 the NSF Polar Research Vessel Eltanin surveyed Antarctic waters, studying the ocean and ocean bottom. In 1964, the ship photographed an unusual object at a depth of 13,500 feet. At the time, there was no submarine that could have carried a piece of technology to this depth.

The object appears to be a pole rising from the ocean floor with twelve spokes radiating from it, each ending in a sphere. The spokes are at fifteen degree angles to each other. It is located approximately 1,000 miles south of Cape Horn, beneath some of the most inhospitable seas in the world.

Marine biologists have speculated that it might be some sort of an organism, largely because it is otherwise so difficult to explain. However, there is no known form of marine life that looks remotely like this object.

There exists the possibility that it is an antenna or other scientific instrument that was lost by an early research vessel, but once again, this would appear to be a very forced explanation. It seems unlikely that an object could drop through three miles of ocean, and anchor itself on the bottom.

In addition, the position of the antenna is so exact, and so strangely significant, that it would seem almost certain that it was intentionally put there. Who did it, with what technology and why remains unknown. However, it's clear that there could be an enormous secret connected with the Eltanin antenna, and one that might not be entirely unknown to certain members of the scientific community, as will be seen.

Researcher Bruce Cathie, a New Zealander who, among other things, had a famous series of UFO sightings, has developed a theory about the antenna based on its position on the planet. Cathie's theories suggest that the antenna may be part of an ancient planetary grid that is of fundamental importance to an understanding of our planet and the great 25,000 year cycle known as the precession of the equinox.

Could it be possible that the Eltanin Antenna is a piece of ancient technology, or even technology that comes from another world? Cathie certainly thinks so. Other researchers are now suggesting that modern science might be well aware of the purpose of the object, and might be actively monitoring it or using it in some way.

Mr. Cathie considers 144, the harmonic recriprocal of the speed of light, to be an important measure of the earth's grid because it divides into the planet's 21,600 minutes of arc exactly 150 times. An individual interested in Cathie's ideas began measuring outward in steps from the antenna, and to his surprise found that the Prospect Point Antarctic Base is precisely eight of these measures away. Add another unit of 144 and you find two more antarctic bases, Hemus and St. Kilmet.

Remarkably, a whole array of bases and earthquake stations surround the Eltanin Antenna. What this may mean is unknown, but it is certainly suggestive that the Eltanin antenna is no strange marine creature, but rather an object of great importance, that somebody understands very well."

Here's a LINK to the web page. It has other clickable links that give further information.

Magikman  :sg

Looks odd, that's for sure.  Makes you wonder.  :s6

There is no way that could be anything natural, it looks to uniform to be anything but built.

[blue]Flippin heck.

I'd say it sounds like the opeing of the movie 'Sphere'.

There's more happened on our planet than we know about. If it is an antenna, what is it connected to?

[/blue]

huh? :o I'm not quite sure what it is....natural or unnatural......it's anyones guess.But it is something weird :sc

The first thing i thought about was the movie Sphere also Loonboy.

I reckon it's man made, either a recent sunken ship (just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it isn't) or its (cue favourite topic) a structure belonging to an ancient civilisation.

• 1 year later...

Obviously, I'm always interested in getting to the bottom of an 'unexplained mystery'. Of course, I've never been a huge fan of Strieber's, the man is just too flakey and dishonest, but this particular story was a compelling one. I've finally just run into a site that 'explains' this particular anomoly quite convincingly. If you are curious as to its true origin, click on the link below;

CLICK HERE FOR INFO

Magikman thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thanks MM, thumbsup.gif it's true identity IS fascinating, but I still can't believe it's a natural living thing. w00t.gif

So... this was photographed a long time ago, and it mentions that mankind had no submarine capable of getting down to that depth. But we have now… Why hasn’t someone been back and looked for it, and done more research on it? Or have they, and they have found out what it is, and like most unexplained things, its been covered up!

Oh... and to me it looks manmade. I’m no expert on marine biology or communications devises, but it looks like some type of antenna. blink.gif

If they have the technology, why don't they tell us how big this unidentified thing is? It would be much easier to form an opinion if we knew whether it was 15 feet tall or 120!

At 15 feet, it could still be plausible that it were of an organic origin, but much larger than that, and other possibilities would become very believeable. I checked both sites and did not see mention of the actual objects size.

I checked both sites and did not see mention of the actual objects size.

"It has been estimated the object is about two feet high."

You have to click on one of the links within the webpage I furnish. Its located in the paragraph that begins "Henk Hinfelaar in New Zealand secured......"

Kryso quotes

"Why hasn’t someone been back and looked for it, and done more research on it?"

Probably because, in the article I link to, it states that any marine biologist of any relevance and knowledge already knew its true nature, that of a documented, living organism. Information that the uninformed and unqualified choose to simply ignore, preferring to focus instead on sensational claptrap and 'otherwordly' nonsense. Like it says in the article, its a pity that the anomalists and scientists don't consult one another. But then, where would the mystery be in that scenario?

MM

Edited by Magikman

2 flippin' feet tall and they want us to think it's some sort of alien super antenna!

Give me a break...Thanks for the added info MM...like I said, the details are the deciding factor.

• 10 years later...

Oh man those are sweet. I wish we had better technology for taking things from deep pressures, because imagine having some in a zoo aquarium, or even some big fancy rich persons personal one.

Eltanin Antenna Finally Identified

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

The mystery of the Eltanin antenna has finally been solved: it's a sea sponge called Cladorhiza.

The "antenna" got its name from the USNS Eltanin, an ice breaking cargo ship launched by the U.S. Navy in 1957. On August, 29, 1964, while photographing the deep sea bottom West of Cape Horn, it took the famous Eltanin antenna photo, which has puzzled people for over 40 years.

The Cladorhiza is a dramatically-shaped sponge which resembles a microwave antenna. They've been described as "sponges with a long stem ending in ramifying roots, sunk deeply into the mud. The stem has nodes with four to six club-like appendages."

They grow like bushes on the ocean floor. The Eltanin photograph shows only a single specimen, making it look like a man-made object.

There are mysteries hidden underground that could tell us a lot about the way the world really is.

Read the original source: http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/eltanin-antenna-finally-identified#ixzz2ocPEeCgJ

(One mystery solved in 203!)

• Like 1