Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former Nazi removed from Space Hall of Fame

__Kratos__

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. - A former Nazi scientist has been booted from the International Space Hall of Fame.

The New Mexico Museum of Space History's commission unanimously voted last week to remove Hubertus Strughold.

He had been inducted in 1978 for work in developing the spacesuit and space capsule, and contributions to space medicine.

But Strughold was also linked to experiments on prisoners in the Dachau concentration camp in his native Germany.

A museum visitor noticed Strughold's name in the hall last fall and told the New Mexico Anti-Defamation League — which then uncovered records on his past.

Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------

:no: His title doesn't mean his work is meaning less. :hmm:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Demosthenes

• __Kratos__

• Master Sage

His work may not be meaningless but the fact that he experimented on political prisoners can not be ignored.

Here is a link to a BBC News article on Project Paperclip, where the USA doctored the records of Nazi scientists to hide some of their war crimes so that they could work for the USA. Project Paperclip: Dark side of the Moon

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Urgh Nazis! As a jew, I glad to hea hes out. Still, at least he did somthing productive with his life.

What. This is absurd!

He had provided his time, effort, and intelligence to mankind,

Made the hall of fame, just to be taking out of it.

So what if he was a Nazi.

So what if he was a Nazi.

So it doesn't matter that her performed experiments on Jews at Dachau then? We are not just talking about a member of the Nazi party here, we are talking about a war criminal who never came to trial. Is that really the sort of person you want the USA to hold up as an example of a hero?

Yes. His Nazi Experiments were another thing in his life altogether.

They should have only looked at what he did

'for work in developing the spacesuit, space capsule,

and contributions to space medicine.'

Yes. His Nazi Experiments were another thing in his life altogether.

They should have only looked at what he did

'for work in developing the spacesuit, space capsule,

and contributions to space medicine.'

So what you are saying is that if you are a mass murderer it doesn't really matter if you have done something useful as well. Does that go for rapists and paedophiles as well?

Urgh Nazis! As a jew, I glad to hea hes out. Still, at least he did somthing productive with his life.

not all nazi's were anti-seminist... a lot of german scientists, soldiers ect, were dragged into working for hitler. a lot of german soldiers, and I mean a lot, never wanted to go to war for hitler, but if they didnt (appariently) bad things would happen to themselves or their family. when england took prisoners of war, who were then set to work on the fields later on, actually wanted to stay in england as they feared hitler that much.

sure this guy sounds like a bad man, but remember, not all nazi's beleived in hitlers idea's. and around the time of the second world war, a lot of the world were not on the side of jewish people either.

plus, I dont agree with taking his name from the space hall of fame, sure he was a bad man, but that doesn't mean he shouldnt be acknowledged for his acheivments.

its like taking down shakespeares work because he was a drunk. (though I know thats very different from this guy, so dont bother quoting me to tell me that again...)

Edited by Leliel