Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

route 666

surounded-by-the-supernatural

ok well i was looking at some website about my favorite show (supernatural) so i clicked on this think called inside the legend and i found out that some of the stuff on the show is real / true such as "the key of solomon" from the episode "devil's trap". so i read the one about the episode "route 666" and i was wondering if route 666 is even real? and if so what went on there... i heard that satanic rituals were preformed on route 666 ..... i just wanna know if its true. www.supernatural.tv/reviews/legends/route666.htm :devil:

post-35194-1148259483.gif

I wouldn’t trust some show on TV, I’m not even sure if it’s real, probably is. Anything paranormal about it, I highly doubt it. Numbers are within everything, you just don’t notice, 666 can be anywhere, it’s nothing special.

Below is from the website: http://www.prairieghosts.com/highway666.html

Route 666 is a lonely, deserted stretch of road with a long history of accidents and apparitions. Because of the so-called bad luck along this stretch of road, state highway officials in all four states have been asked at one time or another to change the name of this highway. The only state to respond to this demand until just recently, was Arizona. Because a lot of Arizona motorists complained the highway running through their state is now named Highway 191. Also disgruntled, a man from Indiana wrote one of his U.S. Senators, asking why New Mexico didn't change their section of the highway's name. In each case and state (except in Arizona) the demands were tabled. Eventually, however, quite a bit of this highway has become Highway 191, even in Utah. Originally named in 1926, it was the sixth branch of the now defunct Route 66, and therefore became Route 666. Most of the highway now will be named Highway 191.

However, people still don't like having to drive on a road that refers to the antichrist and still remember that it once had such a name.. Interestingly, my husband has his own tale of traveling this very same highway when he was on his way to Texas, long before I ever met him. He used to drive very long distances all by himself, being a country boy from southern Indiana. There wasn‘t much for small town high school kids to do there in the evenings but drive the old country roads, watch the fireflies over fields, gather in graveyards, go arrowhead hunting or chase imagined UFO's. Anyway he was driving this highway (in the middle of the night) headed for Gallop. He was alone and hadn’t seen a car for miles and miles. Suddenly, he saw a truck that looked like it was on fire heading straight for him, right down the middle of the highway. The truck was going so fast that sparks were flying up off the wheels and flames were coming from the smokestack. It scared him so bad that he pulled way off the road and walked 20 feet or so out into the desert away from his car and waited for the truck to pass him, going what he estimated was 130 miles an hour. He then got back into his car and continued on. If it were I, the fear of rattlesnakes and skin walkers would have kept me inside the car. I probably would have been run over, because I wouldn't have been able to judge the distance accurately.

In addition to the mad trucker, packs of demon dogs have been seen on this highway as wel1. They attack at night with yellow eyes and sharp teeth; shredding the tires of those silly enough to stop along this highway at night. Then there is a beautiful, young and frail girl in a long nightgown that roams the road. People see her walking along the side of the road, all alone in the dark out in the middle of nowhere. They stop to help her and as they approach, she instantly vanishes. There are many other tales of people who either disappear along this route or suddenly appear out of nowhere. There are even tales of the same person, disappearing at one point along the highway and then reappearing at another location miles away, without having any recollection of where they have been or what they have been doing.

There are Native Americans tales of unwanted passengers appearing in the backseat of the car along such stretches of highway, but especially along Highway 666. It seems that skin walkers, or evil-minded Medicine Men, can shape shift often into animals such as crows, coyotes, or wolves and appear out of nowhere in front of your car on the highway. This, in and of itself, can cause unexplained accidents along the road. However, this is usually a warning and can happen several times before the evil shaman decides to appear in the backseat of your car, if you are driving alone. So it is advised that people drive in groups so the evil skin walker has nowhere to sit. This may work and it may not, for the skin walker can play all sorts of tricks on the eyes, being able to shape shift as he or she does. So it is also good advice not to be driving all night or to be very tired, as this is when the skin walkers are on the prowl stealing souls for themselves.

“Drive Route 666 at night, and you drive at your own risk,” the signs should say. Even in the daytime some of the long, deserted stretches are enough to frighten drivers, or at least put them to sleep, which is just as dangerous as seeing anything. Take a lot of people with you and don't leave any space for unwanted passengers who just might decide to appear in your backseat. Pull off the road if a huge diesel truck comes barring down on you from either direction. Don’t be curious to see if there is a driver in that single car passing you in the night. Don’t look for lights floating in the sky. Hope you don’t see any young girls in white dresses. Never stop if you spot something peculiar and don’t pick up hitchhikers. Lastly, if demon dogs approach you in the night, just keep driving.

Lastly, if demon dogs approach you in the night, just keep driving.

But they're soooooo cute.

Anyway,

Then there is a beautiful, young and frail girl in a long nightgown that roams the road. People see her walking along the side of the road, all alone in the dark out in the middle of nowhere. They stop to help her and as they approach, she instantly vanishes.

Sounds like the Pilot Episode of the show, dont you think? "The Woman In White"?

I think its just the name "Route 666". If it were given any other name, would these things happen. I think its just a case of human hysteria - something strange happens.. and then "Oh my gosh, i was on Route 666!" - and so begins a long line of sightings all because the name denote something spooky.

Or maybe it is haunted :ph34r:

Below is from the website: http://www.prairieghosts.com/highway666.html

Route 666 is a lonely, deserted stretch of road with a long history of accidents and apparitions. Because of the so-called bad luck along this stretch of road, state highway officials in all four states have been asked at one time or another to change the name of this highway. The only state to respond to this demand until just recently, was Arizona. Because a lot of Arizona motorists complained the highway running through their state is now named Highway 191. Also disgruntled, a man from Indiana wrote one of his U.S. Senators, asking why New Mexico didn't change their section of the highway's name. In each case and state (except in Arizona) the demands were tabled. Eventually, however, quite a bit of this highway has become Highway 191, even in Utah. Originally named in 1926, it was the sixth branch of the now defunct Route 66, and therefore became Route 666. Most of the highway now will be named Highway 191.

However, people still don't like having to drive on a road that refers to the antichrist and still remember that it once had such a name.. Interestingly, my husband has his own tale of traveling this very same highway when he was on his way to Texas, long before I ever met him. He used to drive very long distances all by himself, being a country boy from southern Indiana. There wasn‘t much for small town high school kids to do there in the evenings but drive the old country roads, watch the fireflies over fields, gather in graveyards, go arrowhead hunting or chase imagined UFO's. Anyway he was driving this highway (in the middle of the night) headed for Gallop. He was alone and hadn’t seen a car for miles and miles. Suddenly, he saw a truck that looked like it was on fire heading straight for him, right down the middle of the highway. The truck was going so fast that sparks were flying up off the wheels and flames were coming from the smokestack. It scared him so bad that he pulled way off the road and walked 20 feet or so out into the desert away from his car and waited for the truck to pass him, going what he estimated was 130 miles an hour. He then got back into his car and continued on. If it were I, the fear of rattlesnakes and skin walkers would have kept me inside the car. I probably would have been run over, because I wouldn't have been able to judge the distance accurately.

In addition to the mad trucker, packs of demon dogs have been seen on this highway as wel1. They attack at night with yellow eyes and sharp teeth; shredding the tires of those silly enough to stop along this highway at night. Then there is a beautiful, young and frail girl in a long nightgown that roams the road. People see her walking along the side of the road, all alone in the dark out in the middle of nowhere. They stop to help her and as they approach, she instantly vanishes. There are many other tales of people who either disappear along this route or suddenly appear out of nowhere. There are even tales of the same person, disappearing at one point along the highway and then reappearing at another location miles away, without having any recollection of where they have been or what they have been doing.

There are Native Americans tales of unwanted passengers appearing in the backseat of the car along such stretches of highway, but especially along Highway 666. It seems that skin walkers, or evil-minded Medicine Men, can shape shift often into animals such as crows, coyotes, or wolves and appear out of nowhere in front of your car on the highway. This, in and of itself, can cause unexplained accidents along the road. However, this is usually a warning and can happen several times before the evil shaman decides to appear in the backseat of your car, if you are driving alone. So it is advised that people drive in groups so the evil skin walker has nowhere to sit. This may work and it may not, for the skin walker can play all sorts of tricks on the eyes, being able to shape shift as he or she does. So it is also good advice not to be driving all night or to be very tired, as this is when the skin walkers are on the prowl stealing souls for themselves.

“Drive Route 666 at night, and you drive at your own risk,” the signs should say. Even in the daytime some of the long, deserted stretches are enough to frighten drivers, or at least put them to sleep, which is just as dangerous as seeing anything. Take a lot of people with you and don't leave any space for unwanted passengers who just might decide to appear in your backseat. Pull off the road if a huge diesel truck comes barring down on you from either direction. Don’t be curious to see if there is a driver in that single car passing you in the night. Don’t look for lights floating in the sky. Hope you don’t see any young girls in white dresses. Never stop if you spot something peculiar and don’t pick up hitchhikers. Lastly, if demon dogs approach you in the night, just keep driving.

;) I was just fixin' to post this same thing. lol I had it allready and saw your post. :tu:

They're changing the route number soon, so here's the url for a bit of info on that:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/008764.htm

i heard that satanic rituals were preformed on route 666 ..... i just wanna know if its true.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was Satanic activity there, but they probably went there deliberately because of the road name, not the other way around. Plus the road is quite long, going through four states if I remember rightly, so it stands to reason that something would have happened at some stretch of it. Saying that though I agree with the others who say the happenings are a co-incidence (apart from the Satanists going there lol)

it's no wonder that creepy things seem to happen. If people drive down a road with the belief that a ghost is about to attack them, they will more then likely see a ghost. The human mind is wonderfully suggestable.

Roxie X

wow thank you so much and im new at this soooo this is my first topic so well ya . but thank you !!!! :D

Thanks for this post I will be sure to avoid this road. :tu:

• Like 1

Ok, this place is starting to sound highly eerie.

Can these 'devil dogs' be dispatched with a common .38 revovler?

I love this one. I grew up in New Mexico- and this has been a topic of discussion growing up. A friend of mines band even used it as the cover and album title- here is a pic

user posted image

It was also recently renamed to Highway 491.

Can these 'devil dogs' be dispatched with a common .38 revovler?

Nope. Only the shadow of a .38 revolver.

• Like 1

I remeber watching this on Sightings before it got taken off the air. The only reason highway 666 had so many wrecks was the precption that it was evil. I'm sure there not as many wrecks now that the number was changed.

Hmmm, sounds like a fun road trip!

Anyone wanna come with? I can only fit three more in my little Chevy Tracker!

Hmmm, sounds like a fun road trip!

Anyone wanna come with? I can only fit three more in my little Chevy Tracker!

I gotta van... :yes:

• Like 1

I also have a van. I'll take you guys if you help me clean it ou. It's a trash can on wheels right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
ok well i was looking at some website about my favorite show (supernatural) so i clicked on this think called inside the legend and i found out that some of the stuff on the show is real / true such as "the key of solomon" from the episode "devil's trap". so i read the one about the episode "route 666" and i was wondering if route 666 is even real? and if so what went on there... i heard that satanic rituals were preformed on route 666 ..... i just wanna know if its true. www.supernatural.tv/reviews/legends/route666.htm :devil:

HA! I know of a route 666 it's in St. George, a southern town of utah, it goes north towards toole and there is a kfc billboard and it's the first left turn off of exit 666! Peta uses it as a poster child for saying kfc is evil! I'll find the picture and show you guys! It's hilarious, i don't know about you guys but I like my geneticaly mutated chicken! :tu:

HA! I know of a route 666 it's in St. George, a southern town of utah, it goes north towards toole and there is a kfc billboard and it's the first left turn off of exit 666! Peta uses it as a poster child for saying kfc is evil! I'll find the picture and show you guys! It's hilarious, i don't know about you guys but I like my geneticaly mutated chicken! :tu:

Rofl! Me too. :P

• 4 years later...

Well Hello I'm Nicky, & I'm a Member of the Navajo Nation. I am full Navajo. The stories I've read about Hwy 491 and which is formally known as Hwy 666. These stories some are make believe and they just try to scare you. But, i do recommend that you do at least drive with someone else and not alone. Most people, that are not from the Navajo Reservation try to look for something paranormal to happen it won't, they happen unexpectedly and when your unaware. As well as looking for skinwalkers which are Navajo witches that prey on the weak. In the Navajo way don't go looking for a skinwalkers, because it will bring you bad luck. I was taught this by my elders. I have experienced hitchhikers that have appeared more than twice along side of the road without explanation of how fast they could have gone in more than 20 miles past Shiprock, New Mexico. I've experienced other things as well but i prefer not to share them.

Nicky(:

• 2 weeks later...

According to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Papyrus 115 and Ephraemi Rescriptus has led some scholars to conclude that 616 is the original number of the beast.[15] If this variant is the original number of the Beast, it would be catastrophic to existing dispensational literature.[16]

So beware of any Rt or Hwy 616...lol