Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What if....?

Darklight_1248

I just finish watching king kong for the first time (i didn't get a change to see it at the theater) And i was thinking; what if there was some lost island with this huge ape and these dinosaurs? What do you guys think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• Samael

• Jack_of_Blades

• Urisk

No offense but i think we would have found it already, with satalites and everything, but it would be really cool if there was one. :yes:

And i was thinking; what if there was some lost island with this huge ape and these dinosaurs? What do you guys think?

The earth is a different place today...it wouldn't be able to support dinos anymore.

how do you know that?

i mean that fish survived.

The earth had much more O2 before...The ecosystems today can't support massive land animals

The earth is a different place today...it wouldn't be able to support dinos anymore.

yeah, you probably right. but it would have been cool

In todays world, I actually believe anything is possible.

If Scientists are finding new species of animals, and people are still finding/discovering/exploring islands then it is possible.

The dinosaur part though..... :hmm: ..... I believe there could be a variation to the dinosaur possibly living on one of these undiscovered islands, or in unexplored regions of the world.

I know someone mentioned that the O2 levels couldn't accomodate a large animals, so maybe some of the smaller ones could still be living somewhere...... It is possible.

Just my thoughts tho' :tu:

The most unreasonable part of King Kong was the giant bugs.

I think small dinos could still exist. Maybe still in the Congo or Deep Amazon.

No offense but i think we would have found it already, with satalites and everything, but it would be really cool if there was one. :yes:

What, like when we found that Plateu in New Guinnea at the start of the year? It's not as if it was small either.

The earth had much more O2 before...The ecosystems today can't support massive land animals

Well the air pressure was higher, but the O2 content was still the same percentage as it is now (ie. 21.blah blah%) if you want to be really picky. That's how animals like Pterosaurs, who did not have a keel, and so could not fly nearly so good as modern birds, could stay in the air.

I reckon that plate tectonics would also play a role in the dinosaur's extinction; as the landmasses began to really break apart (ie. Pangea) alienation of populations would occur with the potential for widescale species bottlenecks. Then the inbreeding occurs (not through choice) and the Cheetah senario happens. Word has it that they only got circa 50 years left.

Oh, and if there were any surviving dinos, then they'd still be dead because we'd have hunted them all. Of course I reckon some families would have evolved into birds.

RKD

In todays world, I actually believe anything is possible.

That's about my thoughts on most things.

Probably not, but "impossible" is difficult to say for me.

I'm hoping that the next 15 years will show us many many incredible things.

I reckon that plate tectonics would also play a role in the dinosaur's extinction; as the landmasses began to really break apart

Not that much, as the peak of the dinosaurs coincided with the breakup of the landmasses...

New previously undiscovered species definitely exist today, but I sincerely doubt giant gorillas and dinosaurs do. :hmm:

i wonder what an elephant is :rolleyes:

Not that much, as the peak of the dinosaurs coincided with the breakup of the landmasses...

No the peak of the dinosaurs only coincided with the begining of the breakup, there was a sharp decline thereafter. IIRC the peak you mention was during the Jurassic. There was much more tectonic activity during the Cretaceous (or at least more drastic activity!!) than there ever was in the Jurassic. During the Jurassic there wasn't an overall massive change, save for maybe the formation of a couple of waterways ect, whereas the Cretaceous saw the actual formation of the continents we are familiar with today (only not quite yet in the correct place).

RKD

No the peak of the dinosaurs only coincided with the begining of the breakup, there was a sharp decline thereafter. IIRC the peak you mention was during the Jurassic. There was much more tectonic activity during the Cretaceous (or at least more drastic activity!!) than there ever was in the Jurassic. During the Jurassic there wasn't an overall massive change, save for maybe the formation of a couple of waterways ect, whereas the Cretaceous saw the actual formation of the continents we are familiar with today (only not quite yet in the correct place).

The break-up actually lead to more diversity...That is how the titanosaurs and Tyranosaurs were formed.

Most of the lineages were already set up well before the tectonic activity became considerable, such as those of the Basotyrannosaurids, which occurred in the Jurassic. True they began to get bigger...

Since the large, herding, possibly migratory, dinos would not be able to move as far as they once could, this would also pose a major problem as food sources could be either low or completely wrong. Essentially they would "suffocate" under the lack of space. Remember these beasts were bloody massive; if certain sauropods were large herders, could you imagine the biomass in one family group!? Unbelievable! OK so we're still talking at this time about the land masses just separating, but if you look at herding animals today that travel hundreds, or even thousands of miles to new grazing grounds, the minute you make it's home range smaller is the minute you take away vital resources in food, shelter, whathaveyou. Sauropods in the Cretaceous were dwindling, and were considerably msaller than the monsters of their heyday.

Also, genera such as the stegasaurs were gone. But then they essentially were poor specimens. Same with the ankylosaurs IIRC; they didn't do really all that well either. But then I could be wrong about this particular statement; it did come from my lecturer who said that although many pterosaurs had massive wingspans, none of them gained a body size much larger than a domestic fowl... which is total bumsquirt!

Meh... it's late here :sleepy: and I need sleep!

RKD

[

I think small dinos could still exist. Maybe still in the Congo or Deep Amazon.

Since you said some smaller dino could still exist, do you think there could be be a raptor still somewhere(probably not)?

actually FF there is enought oxygen in some parts of the world for them to exist but giant bugs no they need a REALLY large amount of Oxygen to grow to that size and that isn't gonna happen of course anything is possible

Even with our sattellites just last year scientists discovered a new island ( or lost world i will check again)

The question is, WHAT IF? Not really saying such Island is out there somewhere, or such Island could exist.

I'd say, IF! Such Island suddenly materialized we have a Park that will be the number one Tourist destination in the world. But each visitor will have to sign waivers of accidentally being eaten.

But unfortunately, countries might fight each other for it first.

i wonder what an elephant is :rolleyes:

Well ponder on a elephant 11x as big

as normal it would die just like the dinos.

Edited by Bietsch

do you think there could be be a raptor still somewhere(probably not)?

yeah one raptor held an ellevator door

for me in Trump Tower :lol: