Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

pappagooch

I saw a show regarding “sleep paralysis” the other night and it brought back memories of an episode I experienced when I was around six years old. I will never forget it! I awoke one fateful night and could not move no matter how hard I tried. I attempted to scream as well but my body was frozen. Eventually I was able to move but it shook me up pretty badly. It was a very frightful experience and fortunately I have never been through anything like that since.

Now, the one thing that was really “hokey” about the show I watched regarding this subject was that a good portion of it dealt with individuals who saw “spirits”, “demons”, “the devil”, “angels”, and even “ET’s” while experiencing “sleep paralysis”. Now I remember my episode like it was yesterday & I did not witness anything “paranormal” (even though it was very freaky in its own right). What fascinates me is that quite a few people who experience “sleep paralysis” have these types of hallucinations. In my opinion I think this is probably due to the residual effect of some nightmare the individual had prior to their “paralysis”. But many people through the ages truly believe it’s the result of demons or ghosts manipulating them... or even the beginning stages or ending stages of an “alien abduction”. I personally find this very hard to believe...

Any thoughts?

Here are a couple interesting links on the subject:

Sleep Paralysis and Associated Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Experiences

What is sleep paralysis?

user posted image

• 11 months later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deadly Nightshade

• greychupa

• moe eubleck

• blazer2004

I saw a show regarding “sleep paralysis” the other night and it brought back memories of an episode I experienced when I was around six years old.

Maybes Jinn came visit you. whistling2.gif

Im too lazy to type the explanation about sleep paralysis and demons and stuff i already typed it 100 times.

laugh.gif

some say when this happens your brain wakes up befor your body and you get confused you cant move but you can look around when you look around you would see things that are really not there a other thing would be hag syndrome when you wake up you can fell something on your chest same thing you will see things that are not there

I heard that as well, Blazer. huh.gif

wait a minute.... werent you just on about ..........oh nevermind. wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

Besides the scientific crap explanation for what really happens (how many scientists have actually EXPERIENCED sleep paralysis anyway?) I'd say that there is something spiritual going on with that, especially because it's usually associated with nightmares.

Anson i think the things you see are entities in the astral realm. Nothing to worry about grin2.gif

Hi PapaGooch , who started this topic and to all who has posted to it.

I experience sleep paralysis sometimes and it is really frightening. I wake up and I cannot move any part of my body, not even my fingers or toes, no matter how hard i try , only my eyes. My body feels so heavy! The only way I can explain this feeling is like my body is feeling a dead weight. Some of you ladies may understand the feeling what Im talking about for it feels like an epidural , when you have a baby, where your body is numbed from the waist down only sleep paralysis is much more profound, its an all over body feeling.........

....sleep paralysis hasnt just happened to me during a nightmare. I have also experienced this during sleep where there are guides , angels and spirits around etc........

What I cant understand though, is why I have this feeling occasionally during certain visions. Any thoughts on that?????

Sometimes this happens when a spirit is actually present but I will talk about this in a new topic as when this happens to me, I dont think it has anything to do with sleep paralysis, just the same sort of feeling but during the time when im awake.

Deadly Nightshade.

xxx.

Hi papa,The same thing happened to me when I was about six also.

It only happened once but I'll never forget it, I was lying here trying to get to sleep,my room was still light and suddenly I just froze as the walls around me and the bottom of my brothers bunkbed (I was on the bottom)started moving,,slowly in and out,in and out,Like they were breathing .

I couldnt move or speak for what seemed like about a minute,I felt scared but more amazed why my bedroom walls were closing in on me.

Its hard to explain,how they were moving but imagine how a lung works as you breath,it gets smaller then as you breath out it gets bigger,the walls were bending in,Man it freaky.

Suddenly the walls stopped moving like melting cheese and I was alright and promptly got up to tell mum and dad.

I felt awake and am still sure to this day I wasnt dreaming or imagining it!

Anyone else had bendy wall activity?

I use to experience sleep paralysis frequently when I was younger. I still remember the first time it ever happened. Believe me I was freaked out! Honestly, I don't think I ever got use to it. However, luckily for me, the last time it happened was two years ago.

I had some creeps out experiences. One time I was sleeping in my mom's room and sleep paralysis came over me. Next thing I knew it seems like I was in the forest... I even heard noises. I saw everything from hands, tot thinking people were up. When I would get out of that state I realized or thought it was my imagination. One time I swore I felt someone walked through the walls and sat on my bed.... *shivers* I still get creeps out when I think about that one. However, The one that really stuck with me is, one morning I was sleeping downstairs. I usually go downstairs to my living room on weekends to watch cartoons on the big screen TV. After watching my favorite show, I fell asleep on he sofa. As soon as I felt sleep paralysis coming on, I tried to wake up but couldn't. I heard banging noises in the kitchen. Sort of like someone was banging something against the pots. Then I heard a little girl's laughter, and I don't know if my eyes were open or not ... Believe me that was the last time I went downstairs alone and slept on the sofa.

So ummm... My boyfriend and I called the psychic hotline once, and I asked her what was happening to me. She told me it was demons trying to get inside of me, but I am too strong.

Whatever the explanation is, I'm glad I don't experience it anymore. Maybe that's why till this day, I'm still afraid of the dark or to sleep alone. Why do you think I got married? grin2.gif

At the same time, if I wasn;t so afraid I would love to see what happenes if I had let my body go through that.

Well I didn't have the joy of my room turning into a giant lung, but one of them once reflected light almost like a mirror. I could see myself clearly in it but not much else. It was scary but it didn't **** with me enough to make me stop sleeping facing the wall.

I use to experience sleep paralysis frequently when I was younger. I still remember the first time it ever happened. Believe me I was freaked out! Honestly, I don't think I ever got use to it. However, luckily for me, the last time it happened was two years ago.

I wish I could remember my first time. sad.gif

My boyfriend and I called the psychic hotline once, and I asked her what was happening to me. She told me it was demons trying to get inside of me, but I am too strong.

Maybe you shouldn't call those people any more... whistling2.gif

I've noticed that I experience it after dreams, though they're so short and not really that vivid I think it's actually a hypnogogic hallucination. I also can feel it coming on. It's like I can actually feel the chemical being released. This morning I had a dream that I was playing a snowboarding game with really bad graphics and I did I really big combo and got something like 9456, much better than the previous player. I'm sure on the 9,000 part though. I'm just wondering if it means anything.

At the same time, if I wasn;t so afraid I would love to see what happenes if I had let my body go through that.

What do you mean? Go through what?

So how do you know the difference between a night terror and sleep paralysis, becuase someone who I spoke to said I might be suffering from night terrors instead. He thinks this because whenever my mum camein and saw me lying on the bed (usually meditating OBEing ect) she says that I'm really stiff. Well I've never noticed this before, except that my legs sometimes tense upslightly so my body isn't fully relaxed. I doubt it's a night terror because if it was would I be able to leave my body partialy at such ease? Also if I go back to sleep straight away without fully waking up I usually go back into paralysis.

Besides the scientific crap explanation for what really happens (how many scientists have actually EXPERIENCED sleep paralysis anyway?) I'd say that there is something spiritual going on with that, especially because it's usually associated with nightmares.

Yeah! That's the way forward! Ignore what all those scientist geeks, with their painstaking research and infestigation, say! Let's just ASSUME stuff, and call it true! That's the way to find the truth, good job there lad tongue.gif

....*shakes her head*...silly boy...

Yeah , Ive had Night terrors too. I think the difference between night terrors and sleep paralysis is quite difficult to destinguish if you havent endured both.

When I have night terrors, I feel paralysis yes but I also feel as if a weight of something sittin on my chest. On two occasions now when the night terrors have occurred, I have even seen something hideous, with leather looking skin, sitting on my chest with its red eyes glaring ay me. I dont know what this creature was but as I said it was hideous and I was really scared.

Deadly Nightshade.

xxx.

Hi new to the board, and could use some input...

This is what happened to me last night:

I cannot explain this, nor will I even begin to try. I just know what I felt, and it scared the crap out of me. Ruud (my husband) swears that I must have been dreaming, but never in my life have I felt this way.

Just before 1 am last night I awoke from a strange dream. Ruud had moved into a little place, and his parents were visiting. Ruud showed them the main room and his Mom asked if that was it? He said well there was one more room, and then a tiny storage crawl space. But he said all that was in the other room was a computer, and the crawl space had some junk. But Truus being Truus wanted to check it out. So she went to the crawl space and came back and said she felt very uneasy about the crawl space room and didn't want Ruud using it. He said, well it's just a crawl space. She didn't agree.

Anyway, I awoke from the dream as my hip was hurting in the night and I turned over. I took notice to the pain in my hip and made sure I had turned over.

I remember closing my eyes again, and reopening them as something was placed over my face, like some kind of oxygen mask but smothering me. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't get this thing off, and I was passing out. I remember thinking... I'm going to die. I could feel myself passing out, and then suddenly I managed a gasp somehow like the mask had been lifted. Ruud actually woke up and asked me if I was ok. He said I had gasped deeply for air. Which is possible, but I remember trying to scream for help, but couldn't as I was being smothered. Ruud usually doens't wake up in the night, as the guy can sleep through anything... I said to him, something just tried to kill me. Ruud said but there's nothing here. I said I KNOW it's crazy... I cannot explain this!!! I sat there for an hour wide eyed and crying, I was breathing like a maniac scared out of my tree. Ruud thinks I must have fallen back to sleep and not realized it and dreamt the entire thing. But it seemed to real, like nothing I've ever experienced before. I know it sounds absolutly nutty, and yes maybe it was a dream... but that was the most lifelike dream I've ever had then. No I wasn't sleeping on my back, I was still on my side. Ruud told me I need to lay off the horror movies and alien movies again. I said that I haven't watched anything scary or read anything scary in over a week. Then he said I must be in withdrawl... haha, I don't think so. So here I am tired as hell, as I really didn't sleep well after the entire experience. I don't know what to think about it. I'm just weirded out. What happened? How can I explain it???

Sounds like a night Demon to me and I believe you that you were awake while you were having this experience.

Wuth Love and Light.

Deadly Nightshade.

xxx.

I've had 'sleep paralysis' many times, not in recent years - very scarey not being able to move.

Paranormal or not? I don't have time right now to discuss both sides of the argument (It could be paranormal or it could be a lucid dream that triggers alien abduction type experiences)

In my case, it seemed more a sense of unseen evil, the natural instinct being to pray original.gif

..... but 40% of the population will experience at least once 'sleep paralysis' in their lifetime (according to some psychologists)

Edited by Aether