Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Red Hair

JACK NEON

has it ever occured naturally in humans and I mean hair dye red not ginger. I mean I say no reason why it couldn't but still.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Raptor

• GreyWeather

• JACK NEON

Yes, red hair is natural...

As I understood, he was asking if there's ever been hair that was actually the color red, llike an apple. He did say "not ginger" after all.

And in answer to his question as I interpreted it, no, red hair is not natural.

All other hair colors>red hair.

Yes, red hair is natural...

Yup it is...just take a walk around Scotland and Ireland and you will see just how natural it is LOL :D

Candy-apple red -- No.

I have naturally 'red' hair, though - it is, speaking in literal crayon box terms, more like red-orange with an undercurrent of reddish brown.

And we red-heads don't all hail (ancesterally) from Ireland/Scotland. I'm German.

((Wow... when I'm tired, I pull out all the punctuation, don't I?))

why do they call it natural red hair when it looks orange :hmm:

Girl in my class has red hair NOT orange. red like an apple

Yup it is...just take a walk around Scotland and Ireland and you will see just how natural it is LOL :D

Or just come to my house... cause my Hubby is a natural red head! :tu:

MMMMHmm girl :lol:

but is it natural

but is it natural

yes i have known her since kindergarden

All other hair colors>red hair

I'm inclined to disagree but that isn't the subject at hand

haha true, why do they call it red hair when its like orange, crazy!!!! never really thought about that... good observation!

Red-hair doesn't necessarily comes from Ireland or Scotland... I'm Jewish and a red-head. While my parents did come from Europe, I have no historical connections to Britain.

Also red-headness occurs among Middle-Eastern Jews as well. King David is recorded to have been a red-headed.

I once heard though that red-headness comes from Neanderthals :P.

Yup it is...just take a walk around Scotland and Ireland and you will see just how natural it is LOL

Why do people keep saying this? I'm from Scotland, and I can only think of 5 red haired Celtic people that I know either personally or from TV. The idea that all Celts have red hair is a sterotype, most of us have black hair.

i am not sure but it is probably possible.

From - http://www.marciaconner.com/bout/redhair.html#facts

The highest percentage of natural redheads in the world is in Scotland (13%), followed closely by Ireland with 10%. In the US, about 2% of the population are natural redheads.

The country name of Russia means "land of reds" in honor of a redheaded Viking by the name of Rurik.

Archaeological digs in the Chinese desert of Takla Makan found mummified redheads dating back 3,000 years.

Adults have about 120,000 hairs on their head; redheads have fewer, blondes have more, brunettes have the most.

Redheadedness is, genetically speaking, a recessive trait. It may appear after several generations of darker hair.

Redheads don't turn grey. Red hair turned sandy, then white. (My friend Sandra refers to this middle color as "Buff."

The idea that all Celts have red hair is a sterotype, most of us have black hair.

I agree, considering the majority of central europeans are originally Germanized, Latinized or Slavicized Celts themselves (such as the Walloons, Gauls and Bohemians... all originally Celtic tribes who adopted their over-lords language and culture), and you don't see tons of red-heads running around in central europe.

I think the reason why red-headness became to attached to Celts is that the only surviving Celtic nations are concentrated on the British Isles, were the pre-Celtic population (such as the Picts) probably already had a large number of red-heads, and when the Celts mixed with them the red-headness percentage got elevated in them.

red hair is natural - my mother has red hair. though red hair is a mix of ginger and brown - making the ginger a more low key colour, so that it appears red.

I dont think candy apple red is natural though.

So what were you were saying, Talon?

Just because 13% of the world's red-haired population is found in Scotland does not mean most Scots have red hair. For all we know that 13% could be as few as a hundred-thousand people, which is a tiny number in a population of 5 million.

I’m the one here from Scotland, I think I’d notice if people around me actually had red hair or not. And most don’t, most have black hair.