Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Dinosaur Found

MadEyePixie

Dracorex hogwartsia is now on display.

This 66-million-year-old, first-of-its-kind, dragon-like dinosaur has been named in honor of celebrated children’s book author J.K. Rowling.

The name Dracorex hogwartsia, from the Latin words draco (meaning dragon), rex (meaning king), and hogwartsia (after the fictional Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry created by J.K. Rowling).

The nearly complete skull was discovered by three friends; Steve Saulsbury, Patrick Saulsbury and Brian Buckmeier, all from Sioux City, Iowa. They found it during a fossil collecting trip in South Dakota and donated it to The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis. When it was brought to the museum’s Paleo Prep Lab for cleaning and studying, it was little more than a box of parts. It took two years to patiently glue together the many fragments and restore the skull.

This fossil helps us understand how discoveries of extinct animal fossils may have inspired people throughout history to believe that dragons once lived. Legends about dragons are common around the world, and dragons have held major significance in various religions and cultures.

Source with pictures.

Edited by MadEyePixie

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• ivytheplant

• MadEyePixie

• Carajbu

i think i'll call it draco rex.hogwarts just does'nt sound right. :)

So i was right all along :D

i knew the day would come :yes:

Looks like some type of pachycephalosaur of homacephale...

I say that on the history channel in 04. The man that found it named it after his wife. he called it lisadragon. I was hoping it was a raptor thowe.

This 66-million-year-old, first-of-its-kind, dragon-like dinosaur has been named in honor of celebrated children’s book author J.K. Rowling.

Oh what the hell.

They should of made a better name.

Yea. There should be an approval board for new dino names.

I feel sorry for that Dinosaur. Hes probably up in Dino heaven going "Oh geez, im finally discovered and what do they do? Name me after a building. A building that doesnt even exist."

Impressive looking skull. DC is gonna love this one :D

Does sound like a silly name, hopefully it will get the younger generation back into books and away from the boob tube.

I think what annoyed me more was the only clip from Bakker they got was him saying "it shouldn't exist! But clearly it does!" Greeeaaat. Cause we need more ammo to give to the ID people. And since Bakker himself is a proponent of "theistic evolution" I'm sure his brain is whipping up something.

:yes: What a dumb name for a pachycephalosaur...

Of course it is not a real dragon. Dragons are carnivorous and this creature is an obvious herbivore. This is unquestionably a specimen of "False Draco", a shy herbivore who mimics the authentic and fearsome, carnivorous Draco that it much resembles.

But this cannot be the "Lisadragon" for that creature was a carnivore and had a more complete skeleton. Come to think of it, I wonder whatever happened to that fossil? Maybe it was determined to actually be a species of "draco" and there has been a great conspiracy to cover it up.

This is actually an omnivore...a pachycephalosaur.

Edited by frogfish

Of course it is not a real dragon. Dragons are carnivorous and this creature is an obvious herbivore. This is unquestionably a specimen of "False Draco", a shy herbivore who mimics the authentic and fearsome, carnivorous Draco that it much resembles.

But this cannot be the "Lisadragon" for that creature was a carnivore and had a more complete skeleton. Come to think of it, I wonder whatever happened to that fossil? Maybe it was determined to actually be a species of "draco" and there has been a great conspiracy to cover it up.

..... :blink: ......dude no afence but cool it on the

dragon talk. this is a pachycephalosaur a dino not

a dragon 'kay

He overdoes A LOT :yes:

I mean the topic could be Great Football Teams

and DC could find a way to relate it to dragons.

If it was a pachycephalosaur why didn't they say so? I'm sure they know more than you do about dinosaurs, Frogfish.

If it was a pachycephalosaur why didn't they say so?

Because the site is meant for children...I don't think children, or even most people here know what a pachycephalosaur of Homacephale is...

I'm sure they know more than you do about dinosaurs, Frogfish.

As the museum doesn't have any great dinosaur curators...maybe :rolleyes:

Edited by frogfish

anyway, sorry for sounding a bit rude.

i've said this already buuuttt... here we go again...

Since when did we start naming dinosaurs after Harry Potter? I remember a time, when we used to name dinos after something relevant to them... Example: T.REX named since it was one of the fiercest predators of it's time, Giganotosaurus, since it is eeeenormous.

but why do we name pachys after hogwarts??? what'll be next? Hermionesaurus? jeez... :angry2:

Personally, I'm hoping for a Batmansaurus. ;)

Edited by ivytheplant

Dinosaurs are named after names...but REAL NAMES.