Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smarter cats or dogs

Grandpa Greenman

cats or dogs  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which is smarter

• Dogs
    • Cats

Try not to start a fire war over this. :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbieb

• Beckys_Mom

• Grandpa Greenman

• Luvkittys7

Alrite, I have to say that cats are just too smart to care or listen to what humans have to say. They understand but just don't care. It is those reasons why I hate cats, damned snobs, and love dogs, stupid beasts. :yes:

It depends upon how one defines "smarter". The intelligence of an animal can be viewed as instinctive, adaptive, and working. Generally, I'd say that both cats and dogs have good instinctive intelligence. Both species are also quite adaptive. However, dogs do have a more complex social order than that of cats. Dogs most certainly have a greater working intelligence, ever try to train a cat! Generally, I'd say that dogs are smarter, but cats are more self reliant. As for which one makes a better pet...it simply depends what you want, both can make wonderful pets!

Cat's... :tu:

I've been around a lot of cats and dogs in my life, I own 2 dogs right now, and it's really hard to tell. If you really watch them, they are both intelligent creatures. Granted not all of them are the brightest of the bunch but they seem to be pretty much even. The only things cats really have on dogs is their vocal cords which can produce more sounds. But I voted for dogs because I love dogs more. :D

Lilly, I tend to agree with most of what you said. :tu:

Kratos, I wish you could hear the sounds my Malamute produces...he reaches octaves that I never imagined a dog could reach. :rofl:

Lilly, I tend to agree with most of what you said. :tu:

Kratos, I wish you could hear the sounds my Malamute produces...he reaches octaves that I never imagined a dog could reach. :rofl:

:lol: I know dogs can have a good range of vocals. I have to listen to my dogs howl all day long, whine and my female dog she can go up and down in her howls to let me know she's happy, p***ed, hungry or whatever now. :P She even got my other dog howling more now and he's a bit rough yet from barking all his life. They're both pure bred siberian huskys. :)

dogs. just because they listen doesnt mean there stupid it has to do with pack mentality. a dog can learn may commands easily and have been proven that they can understand a complelt human sentacne and respond to it. a cat however will not listen unless there is an incentaive and even then it taken far more time to get it to actualy do anything befroe it happens. dogs being wolves need to learn to work and function together. a cat does not need that and relies on more instinct then a dog does.

I would say dogs as a breed are cleverer.The range of work that the different breeds can do is amazing, You have herding dogs i.e english sheep dogs, collies, australian heelers etc that all farmers who breed sheep and cattle rely on. Terriers for ridding rats and other vermin and hunting small game. You have retrievers, labradors etc for retrieving game. Large protective breeds which are great guard dogs and the best deterrent to burglars, even a small breed dog can make at the least a good burglar alarm! Some breeds like the newfoundlands are brilliant swimmers and make worthy lifesavers they are renowned for saving lifes on the water and the list could continue show me cats that could do anything on the list (bar kill vermin) and i`d be shocked. therefor dogs are clever and in my opinion a much more productive creature, deffinatly "mans best friend".

The way I see it cats are smarter for the simple fact that they DON'T get stuck working for anyone doing anything except maybe eating mice.

You'll never see a cat pulling a sled across the frozen tundra. You will find a cat curled up next to a fireplace taking it's third nap for the day...

...So who's smarter?

The way I see it cats are smarter for the simple fact that they DON'T get stuck working for anyone doing anything except maybe eating mice.

You'll never see a cat pulling a sled across the frozen tundra. You will find a cat curled up next to a fireplace taking it's third nap for the day...

...So who's smarter?

Yes but dogs LIKE to work so as well as being clever there also grafters , oh and ever heard of a cat sniffing out mines? or going to war like they did with the romans etc? or sniffing out drugs at airports and clubs? no? thought not, being idle cats who sleep most the day don't sound clever to me.

if cats are so smart how come they didnt invnt a can opener my dog once ripped open the dog food bag. stupid cats with there loud music and smoking Marijuana. Hey cats. YOU GEAT A JOB!

Cat are smarter.. dog stay out.. cats cute and have nice melody voice to attract their owner. We always fall in false attraction and sweet voice..

Dog is honest.. it stay out to save us. who save us.. we care less.

Edited by j4jak

People just think cats are smarter because they won't do anything people ask them to do, that's not smart, that just stubborn.

Is that even debatable?

Obviously, dogs are much smarter than cats. No comparison actually.

Dogs can be trained to do a variety of things. Right from being helpful to their masters, down to helping police in criminal investigations. They have an amazing sniffing sense. Some dogs have been trained to trace out cancerous tissues in a human body that even the most advanced technology can't. Beat that. They are also very social and responsible animals.

Cats on the other hand can be trained to do almost nothing. They are just lazy selfish creatures. There are about 10 stray cats around my apartment and they always steal food from my house, the minute I leave a window open unattended.

A cat's laziness and lack of ability doesn't exactly sound smart to me.

One more thing...if a dog and a cat were to fight, it doesn't exactly take rocket science to figure who'd win, does it? lol

Edited by Bone_Collector

Is that even debatable?

Obviously, dogs are much smarter than cats. No comparison actually.

Dogs can be trained to do a variety of things. Right from being helpful to their masters, down to helping police in criminal investigations. They have an amazing sniffing sense. Some dogs have been trained to trace out cancerous tissues in a human body that even the most advanced technology can't; beat that. They are also very social and responsible

animals.

Cats on the other hand can be trained to do almost nothing. They are just lazy selfish creatures. There are around 10 stray cats around my apartment and they always steal food from my house, the minute I leave a window open unattended.

A cat's laziness and lack of ability doesn't exactly sound smart to me.

One more thing...if a dog and a cat were to fight, it doesn't exactly take rocket science to figure who'd win, does it? lol

Mmmm.. you need to visit my house... my cats (there are three of them)... work in a pack like system and have cornerd MANY a dog... and yes.. big dogs.. one was a female Rotweiler that I was sitting for... I heard her yelping and went running and found her cornered in my bathroom.. with three kittys hissing and running at her... they never actaully touched her.. but boy was she scared!! :tu:

Three cats against one dog? Maybe...but one average sized fully grown dog against a fully grown cat of any size...no competition at all. The cat will be masaccred. Imagine what a pack of dogs can do.

I understand some people like cats as pets but we're speaking of smartness and ability here.

No dog can do anything to a LION.

lol. Dogs are more obiedient and very loving, smart, and "mans best friend".

Cats on the other hand are more rebellious, hunt immaculately, he/she knows your gonna feed em again, so why obey? :D

EDIT: Cats are smarter than Dogs.

Edited by Kaknelson

smartness?

well, it would seem people are merely defining intelligence in terms of qualities they prefer.

now, pound for pound, a cat is more powerful than a dog, period. THis stems from the evolution of the animals. Dogs being pack animals are not built to single=handedly take down prey where cats are. On average, a cat (not just domestic) can singley take down prey three times its own weight.

Domestic cats can work in groups quite well when necessistated.

I would not consider the ease with which an animal is dominated and condtioned a measure of intelligence.

Historically, do not forget that cats were used as hunting aides in the east long before the domestication of wolves began in the west.

Some of this discussion is pointless though since when comparing domestic cats to domestic dogs you are comparing the least evolved/"stupid" descendents of their ancestors for both.

smartness?

well, it would seem people are merely defining intelligence in terms of qualities they prefer.

now, pound for pound, a cat is more powerful than a dog, period. THis stems from the evolution of the animals. Dogs being pack animals are not built to single=handedly take down prey where cats are. On average, a cat (not just domestic) can singley take down prey three times its own weight.

Domestic cats can work in groups quite well when necessistated.

I would not consider the ease with which an animal is dominated and condtioned a measure of intelligence.

Historically, do not forget that cats were used as hunting aides in the east long before the domestication of wolves began in the west.

Some of this discussion is pointless though since when comparing domestic cats to domestic dogs you are comparing the least evolved/"stupid" descendents of their ancestors for both.

LOL!

I love it!

lol I believe we are discussing domestic cats and dogs in this thread though.

Personally, I'm more of a cat-person than a dog-person, but whether one is smarter than the other, I don't know. They are two different species after all, so we probably shouldn't judge the intelligence of one by the standars of the other.

Cats can be trained too though, you just have to be patient and use different methods than you would with a dog.

Dogs...you can train a dog much easier than a cat....how many cats do you know are police cats, help the blind ect? :w00t:Ohh not to forget...a dog is more loyal than a cat...a cat will stay with you..but if it finds it can get food else where it may stay away

Edited by Beckys_Mom