Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smarter cats or dogs

Grandpa Greenman

cats or dogs  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which is smarter

• Dogs
    • Cats

i have done my research robbie.

as I have discussed with you before, for everything there are multiple factors.

That said, diet plays a factor. Interesting to hear you now talk of genetics being a factor when you denied genetics as a factor in the other thread. :rolleyes:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbieb

• Beckys_Mom

• Grandpa Greenman

• Luvkittys7

I missed something, was it Cats or Dogs that have ADD?

They both have their own unique problem solving skills and other forms of intelligence, dogs probably just more obvious to humans. I would have chosen equal if it was an option.

:cat:

(robbieb @ May 23 2006, 08:46 PM) *

if cats are so smart how come they didnt invnt a can opener my dog once ripped open the dog food bag. stupid cats with there loud music and smoking Marijuana. Hey cats. YOU GEAT A JOB!

BEST POST EVER.

He's either a kid, or a drunk. I'm amused with either.

Damn those cats... Always smoking reefers..

You tell 'em, buddy!

(robbieb @ May 23 2006, 08:46 PM) *

if cats are so smart how come they didnt invnt a can opener my dog once ripped open the dog food bag. stupid cats with there loud music and smoking Marijuana. Hey cats. YOU GEAT A JOB!

BEST POST EVER.

He's either a kid, or a drunk. I'm amused with either.

Damn those cats... Always smoking reefers..

You tell 'em, buddy!

I read that too... :lol: ohh the intelligence on these boards just crack me up...

A typical robbie quote LOL (just for fun) :D

ohh well how come a cat cant wipe its back side with toilet paper?? Cuz my dog can and not only that my dog can use my comic books to wipe clean.. after he has read them, u are stupid thinking cats are better HA! :w00t::rolleyes:

I read that too... :lol: ohh the intelligence on these boards just crack me up...

A typical robbie quote LOL (just for fun) :D

ohh well how come a cat cant wipe its back side with toilet paper?? Cuz my dog can and not only that my dog can use my comic books to wipe clean.. after he has read them, u are stupid thinking cats are better HA! :w00t::rolleyes:

ha hah ahaha Geri Carlin strikes again lol

Robbie diet has soooo sooo much to do with ADHD...boy don't get me started on this I may have to start a thread......Adhd wasn't around till the 80's interestingly approx the time the SAD took a sh**.......

Robbie on this subject Hyper knows his stuff.......well on any subject but this one in particular lol.

Edited by Sheri berri

im a 23 year old zoologist who has a black belt in two martical art systems including jujitsu and isshin ryu karate. and i got ADHD. want to know anything else?

:rolleyes: No..thanks..I just asked you to answer one simple question..how old..and I get more unwanted info...you sure dont sound like 23 but meh I guess thats just you :huh:

umm cause i tihnk dogs are smarter (im a zoologist) i eat meat (im a human and its natural) and i told them they were wrong in thinking adhd is caused by diet (cause u know i only have adhd and read the most current reports and studies so why would i know)

The truth is we are half dog and half cat.. ;) .. i m saying about voting.. 50 50

this poll was just based on our opinions right?so why are people fighting about it,if there is some evidence that proves which animal is smarter than everyone wouldn't have a reason to get p***ed off at each other and the bashing and stuff would stop,it has,but i'm just saying that its pointless to fight over everyones opinions unless we get some evidence about which animal is smarter

I think the poll should have been "Which is smarter: Cats, Dogs, or Robbie... I'm pretty sure dogs would still win. Just a thought.

i like dogs too,but i just think that cats are better but thats because i have a cat and not a dog

I think the poll should have been "Which is smarter: Cats, Dogs, or Robbie... I'm pretty sure dogs would still win. Just a thought.

The voting poll would over load :lol:

Here's what I found out about this using the brain-to-body-size ratio (EQ), one of the best scientific ways to estimate a specie's intelligence:

The fact that dogs have a marginally greater EQ than cats suggests that dogs are slightly smarter than cats, although the difference in EQ is small enough that, without corroborating evidence, I don't think we can draw a firm conclusion.

Species EQ

Dog 1.17

Cat 1.00

Source

So, maybe dogs are on average a little smarter (maybe due to their social natures), but the two species would of course experience a lot of individual variation.

B)

There is know proof EQ is equal to intelligences.

Brain size, body weight and intelligence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brain of the sperm whale weighs 7,800g, the elephant's weighs 7,500g, man's weighs 1,500g, the dolphin's 840g, and the brain of a mouse weighs 0,4g. If these figures are used to determine intelligence, then the sperm whale and the elephant are five times as intelligent as man, who in turn is twice as intelligent as the dolphin, which in turn is 2,000 times as intelligent as a mouse. Should we rank animals in order of how large their brains are in relation to their body weight, then the mouse would come out on top with its brain comprising 3.2%, the dolphin's 0.9% and the sperm whale's 0,021%. Neither absolute brain weight nor the relationship between brain weight and body size provide us with sensible criteria for comparing the intelligence of different species.

LINK

What would be the best scientific way to estimate species intelligence then? Problem solving ability? At least one source I saw rated parrots as the most intelligent animals because of how fast they solved a puzzle, but I wouldn't consider them more intelligent than apes. :wacko:

:cat:

a mecaw is said to hae the intelegence of a three year ol if u ask me though a 5 year old is closer. my blue and gold mecaw is to dman smart lol if u vacume hell yell STOP STOP and when ur done he goes thanks. when the phone rings he goes "i got it, hello?" and he knows how to use speach properly. he makes full sentences and at the proper time he will say something. i still consider dogs more intelegent then cats. just threw behavior look at the most intelegent naimals all of them are curious animals. a cat will ususaly run form something unknown a dog will go and investigate.

if anyone says curiosity killed the cat ill punch u lol

Edited by robbieb

"curiousity killed the cat"..... :D

seriously, on the "dog will investigate" issue, here are two true scenarios that have played out near where I live.

a ) we have coyotes here. A lure the coyotes have learned is one plays the "wimpering animal off the trail". The dog rushes off to investigate the noise, and when he gets to the bait coyote, the pack has dog for dinner.

b ) dog owner takes dog into the forest off-leash. Dog runs off chasing everything it finds. Dog finds a bear and riles it up. Dog realizes it can't handle a bear and runs back to its owner. The bear follows and the owner is mauled. Then, of course, the bear has to be killed.

Both of these cases do not show dogs as intelligent, but as "idots" (the second also showing dog owners can be idiots).

haha with the exception of possibly my bulldogs now ive never had a dog that would get taken out by coyotes my akita saint bernard boxer and american bulldog i dont tihnk would have been tkaen out by coyotes not without taken half of thme with them. and as for the bear i tihnk my american bulldog (which faught bears) and akita (which hunt anything the hunters wanted thme to) would have taken a bear or at least given it a run for its money.

heres one for u saw a video a grizzly is eating from a kill a cat wlaks over to it and tries eating too the grizzly basicly swalloed the cat in one gulp lol. and forget coyotes i saw a fox case down a cat in a field and eat it. u wont see a dog try to share food with a bear but if u know anytihng they will chase that bear away after it ghets its food and thne finish eating the bears kill. (tlaking of course about grey wolves who does belong to)

a cat will ususaly run form something unknown a dog will go and investigate.

Which is the smartest behavior when facing a large animal with sharp teeth?

(I vote run.)

Edited by Luvkittys7