Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ADHD

robbieb

There are apparently alot of misleading information out there on ADHD. I myself have Combined type ADHD.

Many children with ADHD have signs of both hyperactivity and attention problems. This is called combined type ADHD. When children have significant problems with hyperactivity and impulsivity and fewer problems with attention, it is called predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type ADHD. Some children mainly have problems with inattention and fewer problems with hyperactivity and impulsivity. This is called predominantly inattentive type ADHD.
http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw166083
Some people strongly believe that food additives and sugar cause ADD. When the theories are tested this doesn’t seem to be the case. In a few children (about 5% or ADD children), symptoms seem to improve when sugar and food additives are removed from their diet. My advice would be to try removing these things from your diet (or your child’s) and continue a restricted diet if it helps you and your child. I don’t think you can point to the additives as a cause of ADD, though.
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/adhd/26231 ADHD was once thought to be cause mainly by diet this is false.
What Does Not Cause ADHD

Diet: In the 1970’s it became popular to view ADHD as resulting from allergies or sensitivities to certain food substances. However, much of the research done over the past two decades was unable to support the claim that diet played a significant role in causing ADHD. Despite this, the popular media continues to discuss the role of food in ADHD, particularly that sugar may cause children to become hyperactive and impulsive. There is no research to back up this claim. In fact, Dr. Mark Wolraich and his colleagues found no significant effects of sugar on either behavior or learning in children.

http://myadhd.com/causesofadhd.html The reason many people belive that ADHD only came around a few decades ago was it was not recognised. originaly children suffering fropm the disorder ewre just seen as bad kids so no treatment was used. another tihng to remember is people with ADHD are in no means dumber thne people without ADHD in fact many famous scientis were said to have ADHD Albert Einstein was said to have ADHD. i myself have an I.Q. of 133. 100 is average. People with ADHD usualy have a hard time paying attention to something when it does not intrest them. but when it is sometihng that does intrest them like for myself Animals The effects of ADHD will almost be turned around and will have even more ability to sit anf focus and absorb information thne a child without ADHD. this is part of the reason getting my zoology degree was easir for me then other in my class and why i rose to level of blakc belt Faster then most people do took me about a year less then average. I do not eat junk food i do not smoke or drink nor did my mother when she was pregnat with me. i havent had any head traumas and my parents were strict i had a woden spoon broken over me many times lol at least 7. (my dad was off the boat form Italy Rome to be exact wooden spoon is a traditional italian punishment) Treatmeants for ADHD are ususaly stimulant medications You would think that would be that last thing you would want to give a kid bounincg off the walls right? the reason is think of a scale liek this ( ) the closer in points are where normal levels are in the middle is where ADHD is at its strongest by giving more stimulation to the body it increases the level up even more until it finaly rreaches the closer in area. in fact if i drink an energy drink i actualy get less active. and yet above all else pretty much everyone with ADHD who has it under control weither it be threw medication or learned coping skills wouldnt want to get rid of it if they had the option.

So does anyone else here have ADHD or a child with ADHD or relative or firend or sibiling or Boy/girl friend with it. or have questions about it or thoughts feel free to talk about it ill answer any questions u have aobut it. in fact i had to do a 12 page paper on ADHD in school.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• robbieb

• hyperactive

• Sherapy

it isn't sugars, it is nutritional deficiencies in the first years of life that are a factor in ADHD formation.

once the physiological condition is established, diet plays a role in controlling it. ADHD can be managed by diet and behaviour therapy without the use of medication in many cases.

apparentlky u dont read to well in onyl aobut 5%of cases diet changes have any effect and its genetic thats why it runs in familys it has nouthing to do with nurture why do u tihnk i hwoiuld have it and not my sisters and we were all raised of gerber baby food and the like? there were no nutrition diffrences between me and them ur logic is not backed by anything or logical at all it would ahve been seen in all three of us not just one if that was the case. show me a report or anything backing your statment

is being born the only way you can get A.D.H.D. or A.D.D.,or can it surface later in your life?

yes to be diagnosed with ADHD you have to show sigsn usualy before the age of 6 i belive. i was origianly tested when i was younger but because of my higher i.q. it threw the test off but i was retested a few years later with a new test and i was diagnosed. you have to show signs of it in at least two places i.e. school and home or school and out in public or home and public or all a diet changhe is also requested for a certain time frame to make sure its not that also teachers are ususalt asked to fill out a form along with each parent indiviulay and sibilings too possibly. its a big process to determin it.

Inattention. This is the most common symptom. In addition to having difficulty paying attention, people with this symptom often are unable to consistently focus, remember, and organize. They may be careless and have a hard time starting and completing tasks that are boring, repetitive, or challenging.

Impulsivity. People who frequently act before thinking may not make sound judgments or solve problems well. They may also have trouble developing and maintaining personal relationships. An adult may not keep the same job for long or spend money wisely.

Hyperactivity. A hyperactive child may squirm, fidget, and climb or run when it is not appropriate. These children often have difficulty playing with others. They may talk a great deal and not be able to sit still for even a short time. Teenagers and adults who are hyperactive don't usually have the more obvious physical behaviors seen in children. Rather, they often feel restless and fidgety and are not able to enjoy reading or other quiet activities.

Many children with ADHD have signs of both hyperactivity and attention problems. This is called combined type ADHD. When children have significant problems with hyperactivity and impulsivity and fewer problems with attention, it is called predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type ADHD. Some children mainly have problems with inattention and fewer problems with hyperactivity and impulsivity. This is called predominantly inattentive type ADHD.

http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw166083

can you still be diagnosed like at the age of 15?

yes, you can be diagnosed at any age you just need to have been showing signs (even if not recognised) at an earlier age

apparentlky u dont read to well in onyl aobut 5%of cases diet changes have any effect and its genetic thats why it runs in familys it has nouthing to do with nurture why do u tihnk i hwoiuld have it and not my sisters and we were all raised of gerber baby food and the like? there were no nutrition diffrences between me and them ur logic is not backed by anything or logical at all it would ahve been seen in all three of us not just one if that was the case. show me a report or anything backing your statment

yes, genetics is a factor. It takes both genetics and environment for it to occur though. :rolleyes: Do you really believe there was no nutritional differences between yourself and your sisters? Sorry robbie, but you over-simplfy topics far too much. :blink:

and you put ur warped twist on everyitnh i asked you to show me any proof to bakc hat u say and u provide nouthing way to make yourslef look liek you know what ur tlaking aobut i gave may sites all stating diet is not a factor in causing adhd u gave nouthing saying it is.

State of the Art

Journal of Perinatology (2006) 26, 359–365. doi:10.1038/sj.jp.7211519; published online 4 May 2006

Time for an oil check: the role of essential omega-3 fatty acids in maternal and pediatric health

There are no conflicting interests. No funding has been provided for any part of this work.

S J Genuis1 and G K Schwalfenberg2

1Faculty of Medicine-OB/GYN, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada

2Department of Family Medicine, Misericordia Health Facility, Edmonton, AB, Canada

Correspondence: Dr SJ Genuis, Faculty of Medicine-OB/GYN, University of Alberta, 2935-66 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6K 4C1. E-mail: sgenuis@ualberta.ca

Received 1 February 2006; Revised 29 March 2006; Accepted 5 April 2006; Published online 4 May 2006.

Top of pageAbstract

Deficiency of omega-3 fatty acids (3FAs) is an often unrecognized determinant of clinical disease; the adequate availability of these essential nutrients may prevent affliction or facilitate health restoration in some pregnant women and developing offspring. The human organism requires specific nutrients in order to carry out the molecular processes within cells and tissues and it is well established that 3FAs are essential lipids necessary for various physiological functions. Accordingly, to achieve optimal health for patients, care givers should be familiar with clinical aspects of nutritional science, including the assessment of nutritional status and judicious use of nutrient supplementation. In view of the mounting evidence implicating 3FA deficiency as a determinant of various maternal and pediatric afflictions, physicians should consider recommending purified fish oil supplementation during pregnancy and lactation. Furthermore, 3FA supplementation may be indicated in selected pediatric situations to promote optimal health among children.

ADHD is one such effect of omega-3 deficiency.

A fascinating study has been published in the May issue (vol. 115 no. 5 pages 1360-1366) of the journal Pediatrics: The Oxford-Durham Study: A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Dietary Supplementation With Fatty Acids in Children With Developmental Coordination Disorder

. Pediatrics is an extremely prestigious journal in the medical world and only publishes the best of the best articles so this is a very significant event! The author Alexandra Richardson has published other outstanding research articles about essential fatty acids and behavior. For more information about her work go to www.fabresearch.org.

Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are extremely important molecules of “good” fats that must be consumed in our diet because our bodies cannot make them. They help form the cell membrane of all cells in the body and are precursors to important molecules called "eicosanoids" that help cells communicate with their neighboring cells. You may have read about essential omega-3 fatty acids but they play major roles in heart disease and some other psychiatric disorders. These omega-3 essential fatty acids, EPA and DHA, are especially important in normal brain function. For more information about EFAs just scrolll way down until you find the 3 articles about EFAs and behavior.

Richardson and her co-workers recruited 117 children with Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). This disorder severely affects about 5% of the school age population. Children with DCD have impairment of their motor functions—in other words, they have trouble throwing and catching balls and other related activities and have problems with small muscle coordination in their fingers which affects their handwriting and related skills. They have trouble at school, home and with their peers. DCD shows substantial overlap with ADHD, dyslexia and autism. Treatment options are few for these children.

Richardson divided the 117 recruited children who had DCD into 2 treatment groups. One group received 6 placebo capsules a day that contained only olive oil. Olive oil doesn’t contain EFAs to any degree so it would be expected not to have any affect. The other group took 6 capsules a day of a mixture of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. The daily dose provided 558 mg of EPA and 174 mg of DHA and 60 mg of GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid. It also contained 9.6 mg of alpha-tocopherol, the natural form of vitamin E. The fatty acids are found in fish oil and evening primrose oil. Both groups took the capsules for 3 months. No one actively working with the children knew which group each child was in. At the end of 3 months, the group that had taken the placebo was switched to the active form and both groups continued for another 3 months.

Here’s what they discovered: Those who took the olive oil capsules did not improve. The motor skills of those who took the real EFA supplement did not improve. However, their ADHD-related symptoms improved dramatically. These included hyperactivity, restless and impulsive behaviors, and inattention! Their symptoms of opposition, cognitive problems and anxiety also improved significantly! They also performed significantly better on spelling and reading tests! The children reported no adverse side effects!!

The authors commented, “The optimal dosage and combination of fatty acids are at present unknown.” Researchers believe that both the actual amounts of EPA, DHA and GLA are critical and the ratio of EPA to DHA (about 3 to1 in the supplement they used) is also extremely important. This study has important implications for treating children with ADD/ADHD. Research into the mechanism of action and the various combinations of EFAs that are optimal is essential to helping these childre. At some point, one obvious next step for research is to conduct a study similar to this one but with children who are primarily ADD/ADHD.

Diet & Behavior Part II: Food Sensitivities

At some point, you may have said to your doctor, “You know, every time Billy eats chocolate his behavior is much worse.” And your doctor replied, “Oh, that’s impossible. There’s no connection. The idea that specific foods can alter behavior was just a fad in the 1970s that’s been disproved. Diet has nothing to do with ADHD.” It’s true that most early studies in the 1970s did not prove that this connection was true. However, well-designed studies reported in the middle 1980s and 1990s in first-rate medical journals such as Lancet, Pediatrics, Journal of Pediatrics, Archives of Diseases of Childhood, Annals of Allergy, and the European Journal of Pediatrics have reported that food sensitivities are a major factor for many children with ADHD. Why doesn’t your doctor know that? Well, doctors are deluged with massive amounts of information and can’t read every medical journal. Besides, doctors are well trained in diseases and drugs but poorly trained in nutrition.

The new studies that were undertaken in the 1980s had certain features in common. Children with ADHD were put on a diet that consisted of only a few hypoallergenic foods. The children were carefully followed by dieticians and doctors. If a child improved on this diet, suspected foods were returned to his diet one food per day and any reactions were noted. Children who reacted to one or more foods joined a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial where the suspected foods were hidden in “safe” foods and reactions were noted.

In the first study, reported in Lancet in 1985, researchers treated 76 children with a few foods diet. Sixty-two children (80%) improved on this diet! Artificial colors and preservatives were the most common culprits (79%), but no child was sensitive to these alone. Other common foods that caused reactions were soy (72%), milk (64%), chocolate (58%), wheat (49%) and sugar (16%). A double-blind placebo-controlled trial followed. Suspected foods caused significantly more behavior problems and physical complaints than the control foods.

In a similar study published in Archives of Diseases of Childhood in Childhood in 1993, 78 hyperactive children were placed on a few foods diet. Seventy-six percent improved! Artificial colors and flavors, chocolate, milk, oranges and cheese were the most common offenders. When double-blind challenges were performed, the suspected foods caused significantly more changes in behavior than foods that acted as placebos.

In another study reported in Annals of Allergy in 1994, 26 children completed a two-week open elimination diet that avoided dairy products, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, citrus, egg, chocolate, peanuts, artificial colors and preservatives. Seventy-three percent of the children improved on this diet. Many of these children (79%) had a history of allergy. In a double-blind, controlled study, suspected foods caused significantly more behavioral changes than placebo.

In 1997 a similarly designed study was reported in the European Journal of Pediatrics. But this time a topographic electroencephalogram (EEG) mapping of brain electrical activity was used to track any brain wave changes from baseline and again after provoking foods were returned to the diet. A significant change in a brain wave was noted in one area of the brain during consumption of provoking foods. The researchers concluded, “These data support the hypothesis that in a subgroup of children with ADHD certain foods may not only influence clinical symptoms but may also alter brain electrical activity.”

May: Diet & Behavior

Part 1: Artificial Colors &

Behavior

In 1975 California allergist Dr. Benjamin Feingold hypothesized that symptoms of hyperactivity (ADHD) were related to intake of artificial colors and flavors and certain natural foods containing salicylates (apples, berries, cherries, cucumbers, oranges, peaches, tomato, etc). He published his interesting observations in his groundbreaking book “Why Your Child is Hyperactive.” The Feingold diet became popular with many families who had hyperactive children. They formed a large national support group, The Feingold Association of the U.S., which continues today and has many local support chapters. However, a number of scientific studies in the late 1970s and early 1980s failed to find the diet effective for most of the hyperactive children studied. Pediatricians, psychologists and nutritionists became convinced that diet had nothing to do with behavior, and this belief persists today even though there is overwhelming evidence that diet does affect behavior!

Scientific Studies

Not all the research in those early years was negative and several important studies were reported in the early 1980s. One research team investigated objective measures of learning in hyperactive children and control children who were given food dyes in a double-blind crossover study. They reported that the hyperactive children performed more poorly on the days they were given the food dyes than on the day they were given the placebo. The control children showed no differences in learning between the food dyes and the placebo. The researchers reported these finding in Science, one of the most highly respected journals in the world!1

In another interesting study published in 1982 a research group studied physiological changes in hyperactive children who were given food additives (including Red #40) in a double-blind crossover study. They found that physiological changes in the EEG (a measure of central nervous system activity) and heart rate (a measure of autonomic nervous system activity) were more pronounced in the hyperactive children but not the controls when given food dyes. 2

In 1985 researchers changed the design of their experiments by giving hyperactive children a low-allergenic diet consisting of just a few foods. Now they began to see startling results! In one such study 76 hyperactive children were put on the hypoallergenic diet. Sixty-two children improved on this diet! Then foods were returned to the diet and any reactions noted. Then the families were given the opportunity to participate in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study in which suspected foods were hidden in other foods. Of the children tested for the artificial colors, 79% reacted to the artificial colors and flavors.3 This report was published in the widely acclaimed British journal, Lancet. In 1993 in another similar study 59 of 78 children improved on a low allergenic diet. Seventy percent were sensitive to artificial colors and flavors! These results were published in Archives of Diseases in Childhood.4

In 1994 in yet another study researchers in Australia reported the effects of yellow dye #5 (tartrazine) on hyperactive children in a double-blind placebo-controlled study in Annals of Allergy. Two hundred suspected hyperactive children participated in an open study where all artificial colors were eliminated from their diets for 6 weeks. One-hundred and fifty parents reported behavioral improvements in their children. Then 23 “suspected reactors” participated in a double-blind placebo-controlled study of the effects of tartrazine (yellow dye #6). Twenty-one of these children clearly reacted to the yellow dye when it was administered in capsules but did not react to identically appearing capsules without dye. Behavioral changes associated with the intake of the yellow dye included:

 Irritability

 Restlessness

 Sleep disturbances

The more dye the children ingested the longer the reaction lasted. Younger children, ages 2 to 6, experienced “constant crying, tantrums, irritability, restlessness, and severe sleep disturbances.” The older children, ages 7 to 14, were “irritable, aimlessly active, lacked self-control, whiny and unhappy.” Although other dyes were not studied in this particular study, the effects are probably similar as they are chemically derived from petroleum and have related chemical structures.5

Here’s one last study in which scientists studied the mapping of brain electrical activity in children with ADHD who were known to react to certain foods and food additives. Using an EEG mapping technique they reported that the ADHD children showed altered brain activity when given artificial colors in a placebo-controlled fashion.6

You may be asking, “What about normal children. Is there any evidence that they react to artificial colors? The answer is a resounding “Yes” as reported by researchers who studied 3 year old children even those without hyperactive behavior. There were significant reductions in hyperactive behavior during the first week when artificial colors and sodium benzoate were removed from the diet. During the challenge phase there were significantly greater increases in the hyperactive behavior during the artificial color and preservative challenge than with the placebo based on parental reports. These effects were not influenced by the presence or absence of hyperactivity or by the presence or absence of allergy! The researchers concluded, “There is a general adverse effect of artificial food colourings and sodium benzoate preservatives on the behaviour of 3 year old children which is detectable by parents but not by a simple clinic assessment.”7

http://www.nlci.com/nutrition/news.htm

HAHA u know what i gouit out of that omega 3 u knwo where people get the majority of omega 3 from? COWS i tihnk thats realy funny. next i also find it funny how the most recent of those articles did not mention a food related connection. a diffrent rememdy is still a medcine for it. i said only a majoirty of medicines are stimulant so i dont get the point behind that. also ur article cites studies done from 1970-1994 where true findigs were stillbeing done. no recent articel within the last couple years will show any connection between food and adhd. so to wrap it up u gave me no current accepted information and a thing that disproves why people should be vegeterians wow u did good lol u shoudl eat cow again according to ur article ur kids will ahve adhd cause u knwo its not genetic or anytihng.....

robbie,

a) go to the link and read all the information

B) the best source for omega 3 is flax seeds.

:rolleyes:

didnt say it was the best source i said it was where the majority of the worlds omega 3 comes from cows. second i have never read anything from laura j. stevens before and you would think in my extensive research her name would have been mentioned more. is she liek one of those religious type doctors i just got that feeling whe ni went to her site she seems more like a monister trying to councel people then anything else. not saything that a bad thing but so far i gave u about 5 or 6 diffrent sites all saying that adhd is not diet cxonnected and u gave me one saying it is from someone i have never heard of befroe.

didnt say it was the best source i said it was where the majority of the worlds omega 3 comes from cows. second i have never read anything from laura j. stevens before and you would think in my extensive research her name would have been mentioned more. is she liek one of those religious type doctors i just got that feeling whe ni went to her site she seems more like a monister trying to councel people then anything else. not saything that a bad thing but so far i gave u about 5 or 6 diffrent sites all saying that adhd is not diet cxonnected and u gave me one saying it is from someone i have never heard of befroe.

and she is referencing studies that show the diet link.

This made it nice and simple. :tu:

Robbie my oldest son (who is in his 20's) is ADHD i know this road well and Hyoer is 100 percent correct, also it has been linked to immunizations ...some kids do not tolerate the vaccinations well as some kids do not tolerate certian poisions very well....Are you on medication????My son never was we controlled his by diet just as hyper is saying......

Edited by Sheri berri

ok thne your wson is in that 5% who diet altering has an effct on im not saying changing diet doesnt have an effect evert im saying diet is not the cause of it. i was on medication for a short tim i dintl iek the effects of it so i stoped taking it, do some research on any modern site other thne the one hyper found that is idk even know that lady is tlaking aobut stuff from 1970 liek wtf is that no one new anything truthful about adhd bakc thne. all modern studis shwwo no connection between diet and adhd. genetic and adhd however do have connections thats why it runs in familys identical twins will both have it and a child whos parent had it is 8 thims morel ikely to get it. diet changes have an effect on 5% of people with adhd the rest do not have any effect on adhd even if all sugar is removed from the diet. toxins have also been discredited is a genetic link that causes the brin to act diffrently in the frontal lobes. if your son is ADHD then you shoudl be more up to date on current studies. and stop reading outdated reports. why do u think any good doctor would have parents change there child diet then come back and report any changes bvefore perscribing medcine becase diet only effect 5% of peopel who have it and its not a cause of adhd its a genetic disorder thats why itsl inked with certain things like autisism. which is also genetic autisic children usualy have adhd now im wating for u to tell me how diet causes autisim too. if diet doenst cause autisism then thne diet wont cause adhd either.

DHA in fish oil, or in pasture or grass-fed animals, is absolutely critical for optimal brain and vision function. It is my understanding that omega-3 fats are likely to be the single most important nutrient that a pregnant woman could be on.

There is considerable evidence that breast-feeding provides infants with protection against several types of infection, including respiratory tract infection, gastrointestinal illness, middle ear infections, and urinary tract infections. A study in this month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, documents how fish oils dramatically improve the immune system of infants by increasing their cytokine production.

Robbie were you premature??Did you have anemia as a baby???? How was your mothers nutrition when she was pregnant was there any distress...there a re alot of contributiing factors...Your mothers nutriton pregnant is the same as yours.....Chillax you are too defensive, Its not easy living with ADHD for you or the family i know, but you have to remain open to all perspectives, In our case we were able to control his ADhd by diet....have you tryed that?????How are you doing now???My son is doing very wel....

Edited by Sheri berri

and you put ur warped twist on everyitnh i asked you to show me any proof to bakc hat u say and u provide nouthing way to make yourslef look liek you know what ur tlaking aobut i gave may sites all stating diet is not a factor in causing adhd u gave nouthing saying it is.

Funny its hard to read most of these posts with your text speak (which is forbidden here on UM) and then you have the nerve to tell someone else who is smart out to be a dodo :w00t:

And then I couldn't keep a straight face when I read...

i was origianly tested when i was younger but because of my higher i.q. it threw the test off

:lol: okay then....my mistake!!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

i tested high in both catorogies of the i.q. test but originaly it was thought that only one area would be high if u had adhd, if u guys dont liek me and dont agree with me thne dont post here. this doesnt need to be another argument every time i post something u guys just tell me im wrong even if i supply you with 100% valid current and accurate links. key word links more thne one. u supply me with one fro msome doctor who i dont trust after visiting her site and looking around. u can continu to attack me on feed lot vegeterian cats and dogs or meat in your diet or anything else but give me one where u guys dont sit there and gang up on me. thanksis

i tested high in both catorogies of the i.q. test but originaly it was thought that only one area would be high if u had adhd, if u guys dont liek me and dont agree with me thne dont post here. this doesnt need to be another argument every time i post something u guys just tell me im wrong even if i supply you with 100% valid current and accurate links. key word links more thne one. u supply me with one fro msome doctor who i dont trust after visiting her site and looking around. u can continu to attack me on feed lot vegeterian cats and dogs or meat in your diet or anything else but give me one where u guys dont sit there and gang up on me. thanksis

No one is saying they don't like you robbie..thats not the issue, the issue is...I can't make head nor tail of your posts....your words ect...its all text speak gibberish

And You dont read other posts enough to at least try and come to some kind of understanding....so what's the point in debating or discussing???

I heard that a large number of people who have ADHD have been wrongly diagnosed, and as far as I know there isn't an accurate test for it yet, is there?