Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Corn fed or grass fed?

Sherapy

no u never once said what a rumen was. from how u tlak aobut it questions weither u realy know what it is or not. hence i asked

The large first chamber of a ruminant animal’s stomach in which microorganisms break down plant cellulose before the food is returned to the mouth as cud for additional chewing.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• robbieb

• frogfish

• Beckys_Mom

A lot of reports and experts will say it has to do with the feed as well as how its cooked and what part of the animal it comes from

I sure wouldnt eat meat from a cow you looked half starved and didnt look all that healthy...would you???

but then that's the point some of the beef we get come form cows that have had to take somuch medicine and are so sick because of what they eat and the conditions they are raised in that many of us if we really knew the health of the cow before ahnd wouldn't eat it at all

A lot of reports and experts will say it has to do with the feed as well as how its cooked and what part of the animal it comes from

I sure wouldnt eat meat from a cow you looked half starved and didnt look all that healthy...would you???

i'm pretty sure that cows aren't underfed and yes i have seen cows eat anything! :lol:

but then that's the point some of the beef we get come form cows that have had to take somuch medicine and are so sick because of what they eat and the conditions they are raised in that many of us if we really knew the health of the cow before ahnd wouldn't eat it at all

My grandfather used to sell all his live stock to meat markets and butchers...it was part of his business...he told me many years ago..his cows had to be fed right and kept healthy..otherwise he would lose out...he also kept a number of cows for milk....he had a huge farm...and he was a hunter...he used to go out shooting and bringing home somehting different each time for dinner and it was a hobby of his...he ket a lot of gun dogs...pretty much like the one I own - Springer Spaniel :yes: My dog has never went hunting though..but when I have taken him out for walks over hte feilds he has killed a few magpies and rabbits.and I am the one that has to job of washing the blood off him..so I think Springer Spanials have it in their blood

i'm pretty sure that cows aren't underfed and yes i have seen cows eat anything! :lol:

LOL well I wont dispute that I am sure they would LOL

Kinna like my dog..he would eat you out of house and home...anything he can sink his teeth into...even my make-up once grrrrrrrrr <_<

My grandfather used to sell all his live stock to meat markets and butchers...it was part of his business...he told me many years ago..his cows had to be fed right and kept healthy..otherwise he would lose out...he also kept a number of cows for milk....he had a huge farm...and he was a hunter...he used to go out shooting and bringing home somehting different each time for dinner and it was a hobby of his...he ket a lot of gun dogs...pretty much like the one I own - Springer Spaniel :yes: My dog has never went hunting though..but when I have taken him out for walks over hte feilds he has killed a few magpies and rabbits.and I am the one that has to job of washing the blood off him..so I think Springer Spanials have it in their blood

Geri, so true so true , a cow must be fed correctly to maintain its health..

Karhie .Corn doesn't do that...it definitely fattens them up but fat doesn't equate health.........

LOL well I wont dispute that I am sure they would LOL

Kinna like my dog..he would eat you out of house and home...anything he can sink his teeth into...even my make-up once grrrrrrrrr <_<

lol so would my dog! you can't leave anything with him :P

Karhie .Corn doesn't do that...it definitely fattens them up but fat doesn't equate health.........

i'm sure it does Sherri, i'm not sure i havn't seen the full effects on corn feed cows just yet so i'm clueless on this side :blush:

Tell me, why not corn, Sheri? :tu:

Tell me, why not corn, Sheri? :tu:

Frog I'm not following ????? i talk alot on the thread the feedlot about why not on corn.....

I'm not in favor of fish being bred to eat corn either, but they are.......as a fiish lover waht are your thoughts on this frog??????

I'm not in favor of fish being bred to eat corn either, but they are.......

Haha, read up Sheri...farm-raised fish aren't fed corn...BUT corn does make a great bait for Carp :yes:

Frog I'm not following ????? i talk alot on the thread the feedlot about why not on corn.....

Which none of says anything so far.

Haha, read up Sheri...farm-raised fish aren't fed corn...BUT corn does make a great bait for Carp :yes:

Which none of says anything so far.

frog on the feedlot thread and the corn fed cow fed thread it says plenty at which time you read it and then want to discuss it let me know otherwise find someone else to troll and flame........ :unsure2::unsure2:

troll and flame

This place right here is nice enough...

frog I'll report if it persists...

Report what? You not giving out correct information? You not presenting scientific facts, only claims?

Sheri, if someone disagrees with you, its not auomatically flaming...lose your ego, it will help :tu:

Frog Just give up. you can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink. you can lead sherri to fact but cant make her nbelive them. i have discoverd this from posting in any thread that she does.

Sherri its amazing ive lived this long being so stupid.

ur not the onyl one who knows a thing or two i mean u know i only studied zoology as my profession so why would i know anything about animals...... i mean what is ur education major? conspiricy? peta loving? p.s. peta does more harm to animals thne good.

Haha, read up Sheri...farm-raised fish aren't fed corn...BUT corn does make a great bait for Carp

Where is your scientific evidence fish aren't being bred to eat corn???????

I've yet to see you put up anything except flaming and trolling.....

Robbie what facts are you talking about????? that cookies can be dipped in milk and taste good, that your cannines are for taking down an animal and eating them.....How about corn isn't a grain no way , its a grass like all other grasses and does the same thing and there is no problemn witha cow being only fed only corn and I'm simply spreading vegan propaganda and am a conspirasict...these are generally your posts and the gist of your debates......:rolleyes

:" my point with the rumen was plants are hard to digest becuase of alpha bonds. that is why they evolved the reticulorumen orifice. as i stated earlier cows need to eat for the bulk to the day and needed to develope this complex digestive systmtem to get enough nutrients to survive." One of your quotes robbie , I don't want to split hairs but its in error.....

It is as obvious as a heart attack i know my subject, if it isn't to you, waht can I say thas on you.....and its your dilema, I'm not posting for you or frog....so if you have something to share great but if not i wouldn't be hurt in the slightest if you ingnored my posts......

Haha, read up Sheri...farm-raised fish aren't fed corn...BUT corn does make a great bait for Carp

Robbie what facts are you talking about????? that cookies can be dipped in milk and taste good, that your cannines are for taking down an animal and eating them.....How about corn isn't a grain no way , its a grass like all other grasses and does the same thing and there is no problemn witha cow being only fed only corn and I'm simply spreading vegan propaganda and am a conspirasict...these are generally your posts and the gist of your debates......:rolleyes

:" my point with the rumen was plants are hard to digest becuase of alpha bonds. that is why they evolved the reticulorumen orifice. as i stated earlier cows need to eat for the bulk to the day and needed to develope this complex digestive systmtem to get enough nutrients to survive." One of your quotes robbie , I don't want to split hairs but its in error.....

Sherri idk if uve ever been around a fish but u cant breed thme to eat something. u can only give them a certain food but u cant breed them to eat it. idk what u ment by that.

next never said our teether were for biting an animals and killing it like a lion or sometihng never ever ever said that. i did however say that they are useful in the scavanging lifstyle we needed them for on the grasslands. milk and cookies do go good together ur nuts if u think other wise lol. corn is a grass i tihnk i made that clear. didnt say it was the same as kentuckey blue grass but i just wanted to point out it was a grass. and tell me what is in error weith my post my dear on the cows digestive system. u eat only grass and tell me if u dont die shortly after. and when u do ill go to ur grave and tell u why.

Robbie I Know how my digestive system works and how a ruminants works also.....

robbie cows have been taught to eat only corn which is not natural for them...fish are now being bred to do the same thing..... because you think it can't be done means nothing its being done.....

robbie in the 1600"s grains were always referred to as corn, corn is a grain that is not the natural food of a cow and leads to great sickness and a very hard life for the cow not to mention very bad health which in turn affects you and will give you a marked increase in poor health.........You don't have to care , you can gorge yourself on milk and cokies all you want ..I started a thread for those that are interested .....Its not you and thats okay....I have only asked you add something other than 'No it isn't" no it doesn't....Nah uh, flame troll and insult........

Edited by Sheri berri

I've yet to see you put up anything except flaming and trolling.....

Where's your evidence? As Robbie said, you can't breed animals to eat corn. Farm-raised fish aren't fed corn...they are fed high-protien fish-food.

I still don't see any of this said flaming and trolling...Wait, there's one! Hurry, its running away! Its hiding in Sheri's post! Get it!

sherri i proived to u scientificly how corn is a grass who cares what they said in the 1600's corn is a grass and if u re read the link i gave u will see its scientific name classifies it as a grass. its a grass jsut as much as bamboo is a grass.

i dont tihnk u know aobut fish breeding enough to say that statment sherri. i however have breed angel fish koy beta fish discuc plattys sword tails and the like. used ot make some money doing it too. u cant breed new feeding into anaimal. u can breed them ore tolreant of the fish to the new food but its not that same.

again u didnt tell me how my statment on the cow was wrong thats twice u said its worong but never said why id apericate it if u did. because i know how the digestive system works too ive disected enough things to know my way aund an animals insides.

sherri i proived to u scientificly how corn is a grass who cares what they said in the 1600's corn is a grass and if u re read the link i gave u will see its scientific name classifies it as a grass. its a grass jsut as much as bamboo is a grass.

i dont tihnk u know aobut fish breeding enough to say that statment sherri. i however have breed angel fish koy beta fish discuc plattys sword tails and the like. used ot make some money doing it too. u cant breed new feeding into anaimal. u can breed them ore tolreant of the fish to the new food but its not that same.

again u didnt tell me how my statment on the cow was wrong thats twice u said its worong but never said why id apericate it if u did. because i know how the digestive system works too ive disected enough things to know my way aund an animals insides.

Robbie You are wrong simple as that......I said they ( fish) are being bred to tolerate corn,that can be done, cows have been made to eat corn ......

basically what i have been saying YOU CAn't feed a cow just corn and here in america we do, ( its rectified by mass amounts of antibiotics) for the most part there may be a rancher here and there but the majority is feedlot.......Grass is basically photovoltiac panels the moment a cow shears a clump of grass, it sets into motion a sequence of events that will confer a measurable benefit to this square foot of pasture..this shorn grass plant, restores the rough balance between the roots and leaves and will proceed to shed as much root mass as its just lost in leaf mass..When the discarded roots die , the soils population of bacteria, fungi, earth worms will get to work breaking them down into a rich brown humus. what had been the grass plants roots will run channels through which worms, air, and rainwater will move through the earth, stimualting the process by which new topsoil is formed.......now back on top the cows shearing of the grass will stimulate new growth, as the crown redirects reserves of carbhydrates energy from the roots to form new shoots.you see the cows are good for the enviorment they have a place a very important place...what they take they give back .......

Robbie, its misleading to speak of any grass plant in isolation since many different plant species form many different functions and occupy one square foot of pasture..this biodiversity has a great many benefits to all parties at the most basic level it allows the farms land to capture the maximum amount of solar energy, if the areas that are now being used to grow corn were used for pastures it would go along way in restoring the planet....the biggest problem is many don't get the whole picture , they only see bits and pieces nature is a interdeepndent relationship all parts are interrelated and connected for the good of the whole.....

cows eat white clover, bluish fescue, timothy clumps , orchard grass, red clover, millet, plaintain, bluegrass, sweet grass each of these provides the cow with nutrients and minerals it needs, if it is feeling alittle off it will inherently know which grass to eat to help....AGAIN CORN IS A GRAIN NOT THE NATURAL FOOD OF THE COW.......

A concentrated diet of corn can give an animal acidosis, a COWS RUMEN is neutral unlike ours which is acid , CORN IS ACIDIC and it creates a kind of heartburn that can kill the animal, but it ususally makes them sick ..Acidotic animals go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw and scratch their bellies and eat dirt..This often leads to diarreah, ulcers, bloat, rumentitis,liver disease, and general weaking of the immune sytem that leaves the animal at peril for a myriad of feedlot disease such as pneumonia, coccidiosis, enterotoxemia, feedlot polio...Just like humans animals are susceptatble to all sorts of disease too.....more often than not this diet blows out there livers, over time the acid eats throught he rumen wall and the bacterias enter the animals blood stream, these microbes end up in the liver which impairs the livers funtions...So you see antiobiotics are needed for some semblence of kindness to these animals.....

Edited by Sheri berri

Robbie You are wrong simple as that......I said they ( fish) are being bred to tolerate corn,that can be done, cows have been made to eat corn ......

basically what i have been saying YOU CAn't feed a cow just corn and here in america we do, ( its rectified by mass amounts of antibiotics) for the most part there may be a rancher here and there but the majority is feedlot.......Grass is basically photovoltiac panels the moment a cow shears a clump of grass, it sets into motion a sequence of events that will confer a measurable benefit to this square foot of pasture..this shorn grass plant, restores the rough balance between the roots and leaves and will proceed to shed as much root mass as its just lost in leaf mass..When the discarded roots die , the soils population of bacteria, fungi, earth worms will get to work breaking them down into a rich brown humus. what had been the grass plants roots will run channels through which worms, air, and rainwater will move through the earth, stimualting the process by which new topsoil is formed.......now back on top the cows shearing of the grass will stimulate new growth, as the crown redirects reserves of carbhydrates energy from the roots to form new shoots.you see the cows are good for the enviorment they have a place a very important place...what they take they give back .......

Robbie, its misleading to speak of any grass plant in isolation since many different plant species form many different functions and occupy one square foot of pasture..this biodiversity has a great many benefits to all parties at the most basic level it allows the farms land to capture the maximum amount of solar energy, if the areas that are now being used to grow corn were used for pastures it would go along way in restoring the planet....the biggest problem is many don't get the whole picture , they only see bits and pieces nature is a interdeepndent relationship all parts are interrelated and connected for the good of the whole.....

cows eat white clover, bluish fescue, timothy clumps , orchard grass, red clover, millet, plaintain, bluegrass, sweet grass each of these provides the cow with nutrients and minerals it needs, if it is feeling alittle off it will inherently know which grass to eat to help....AGAIN CORN IS A GRAIN NOT THE NATURAL FOOD OF THE COW.......

A concentrated diet of corn can give an animal acidosis, a COWS RUMEN is neutral unlike ours which is acid , CORN IS ACIDIC and it creates a kind of heartburn that can kill the animal, but it ususally makes them sick ..Acidotic animals go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw and scratch their bellies and eat dirt..This often leads to diarreah, ulcers, bloat, rumentitis,liver disease, and general weaking of the immune sytem that leaves the animal at peril for a myriad of feedlot disease such as pneumonia, coccidiosis, enterotoxemia, feedlot polio...Just like humans animals are susceptatble to all sorts of disease too.....more often than not this diet blows out there livers, over time the acid eats throught he rumen wall and the bacterias enter the animals blood stream, these microbes end up in the liver which impairs the livers funtions...So you see antiobiotics are needed for some semblence of kindness to these animals.....

what does an antibiotic have to do with hearburn? its not like its a tums.

i belive that if u go bakc i was the first one who stated that cows eat alot more thne just grass thnaks. dont tell me aobut the complexities of nature my dear. idc how much u knwo of it u dont knwo more then me so dont think u do i spent my entire highschool life taking every possible science class i could including anatomy bio 1 bio 2 bio 3 ecology 1 2 and 3 bio chemistry and the like. and my college haa well lets just say i took one or two in the field. my specialties are herps big cats primates and animal behavior. here the tricky part. a cow is a grazier naturaly a cow will eat ANY plant material it finds. grazing is the most efficet means of gathering food. problem is vunerability to readators because all focus is on food. hence hearding is foudnin animals that graze. next grass is acidic itself so idk what u were trying to say with that statment. grass wears the anamal off anamal off anuamls teeth. it takes specialised teeth to deal with that. now even with diversity in the diet alpha bonds are still not going to be broken down by an animals that does not have the proper equipment to deal with this. tada a cow developed an amazingly complex system to break down this other wise possibly dangerous food. think aobut this a termit cant evne digest wood. it realises on bacteria and protists to do it for him inside his gut. same thing cows use. they also chew there cud. another adaption to this food. u cant eat grass you would die. and even with this comple digestive system alot of the food is not broken down thats why there it grass that cna still be seen in there dung. if u lok at say a lions food u will possibly see some fur maby some bone fragments but other then othat u cant makeo ut and thing in them because like peopel we can break down beta bonds. grass is still held together with alpha bonds when u look at the dung. did u ever hear of corn poops? corn is held together with alpha bonds so it doenst get broek n down in your digestive system.

Robbie thanks for all that but you arent' telling me anything I don't already know.......I was giving info on why corn is a grain and why cows aren't meant to eat it as there only diet and why......

antibiotics are givin to sick animals, again the info I posted gives insight as to why antibiotics are used ..of course it adds extra water weigh to which gives the meat industry a huge extra chunk of a(secret) cash water adds weight the more the weigh the more the money per pound.....

ok. itsj ust u tol me what i siad about the cows digestive system was wrong so i was wondering why u said that apparently i misunderstood thne?