Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is happening with the Government?

alienruler

:angry2: OK I just heard the world was going to end and december 21,2012!

by an asteriod crashing into the earth just like the dinosaurs,so WHY THE HECK DOES

THE GOVERMENT JUST DOS'ENT SEND ASTRONOUTS UP THERE UNTIL 2012? :hmm:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• glenndo4000

• alienruler

• ReviewDude

by an asteriod crashing into the earth just like the dinosaurs...

Just because you've heard about the end of the world in 2012, doesn't make it true. Generally, the asteroid that some people are all worked up over is Apophis. It's very, very unlikely that Apophis is going to slam into us any time soon. Now, I'm all for getting things in place for using a gravitational tractor to "tow" an asteroid into a safer orbit, if it ever comes to needing to do that. However, we have time... the world is not going to end in 2012!

by an asteriod crashing into the earth just like the dinosaurs,so WHY THE HECK DOES

You're angry with the government over something most of us know isn't true? :huh:

Don't be so ridiculous. Panicking and jumping to conclusions won't help you.

Here:

It's the Mayan calendar, not the Aztec. And it doesn't end. It simply POINTS very strongly at a certain day: Dec 21, 2012. That day in the Long Count (the name of that particular calendar) is 13.00.00.00.00. The next day is

13.00.00.00.01. No endings.

What happens on that day is simply this: it's a grand astronomical alignment that takes 26,000 years to repeat (due to precession of the equinoxes). On that morning, which is the winter solstice, the sun rises against the background of the Milky Way, in particular a dark area toward its center. The Maya thought that dark spot was the birth canal of the universe. (Actually it's very close to the center of our galaxy). So what happens when the sun comes out a birth canal? It's REBORN. That's what it's about. Not endings. This world is already dead and we're in the birth pangs of that new world coming in.

That explains it fairly well.

Source

Sorry, no asteroid crashing into earth...

What Lilly and everyone else says...

There's no asteroid threat to this planet in 2012.

Ease your mind.

It's really going to happen in 2007, they just don't want to cause a panic cause even if they sent every nuke it wouldn't do a thing to stop it.

ear to ear.

It's really going to happen in 2007, they just don't want to cause a panic cause even if they sent every nuke it wouldn't do a thing to stop it.

ear to ear.

That is so mean...and funny all at the same time :)

HEY!listen hear m.r Celumnaz!theres no stinking asteriod hitting this planet in 2007!i never heard it on the news!

HEY!listen hear m.r Celumnaz!theres no stinking asteriod hitting this planet in 2007!i never heard it on the news!

I rather suspect (hope) that Celumnaz post is tongue in check, hence the:

ear to ear.

that he finishes with.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a link? We need some verification to believe something like that.

• 2 months later...

i was watching that 20:20 show on how the world could possible end and it said that in 2029 or 39 an astroid is comming close to earth but has a slim chance of hitting us so theres not really any problem with that 1

ever since i joined this site iv'e heard endless amounts of stories saying that the world will end in 2012.

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP!!?

:angry2:

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP!!?

:angry2:

My guess is that people will stop around the same time that people stop resurrecting threads that have been dead for 3 months.

My guess is that people will stop around the same time that people stop resurrecting threads that have been dead for 3 months.

It's still a valid topic, but it didn't need necroing with the phrase 'uuuuuuuhhhhhhh...'. Anyway, I think if something is on course to kill us all in 2012 (which it isn't) but we'll have some kind of technology to nuke it, well, I say 'we', I won't help... At least we're safe.

but we'll have some kind of technology to nuke it,

(Not directed at you, just an easy quote to...quote.)

What would be the effect of Nuclear weapons being used in space? I mean if they rely on an atomic chain reaction to release energy, and space is almost a vacuum, the explosion would be almost non-existant, right?

(Not directed at you, just an easy quote to...quote.)

What would be the effect of Nuclear weapons being used in space? I mean if they rely on an atomic chain reaction to release energy, and space is almost a vacuum, the explosion would be almost non-existant, right?

Actually the energy of explosion would be the same as in an atmosphere. The chain reaction occurs in the fissile material (the uranium or the plutonium) and the mass of this would be the same.

There would be no air blast to push against the asteroid (there being no air) but if it was exploded on the surface it would leve the same size crater as on earth.

However the theory behind using nuclear weapons against asteroids is not so much to destroy them but to deflect them. The weapon is detonated not on the surface of the asteroid but at a distance away. The intense heat and other radition caused by the nuclear explosion vapourises some of the asteroids surface. As this vapour vents into space it works like a rocket thruster pushing the asteroid into a slightly different orbit and so, hopefully, it misses the earth.

There are big dangers in this method. It now seems that some asteroids are loose collections of debris rather than a single large object. Using nuclear weapons against such a conglomeration may have no effect at all. Alternatively it could cause the asteroid to break into many peaces causing multiple impacts on the earth and actually making the situation worse.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Actually the energy of explosion would be the same as in an atmosphere. The chain reaction occurs in the fissile material (the uranium or the plutonium) an the mass of this would be the same.

I see. I was under the impression that the fissile material was just used to begin a chain reaction which then continued to take place among atmospheric gases (now that I think about it, the atomic mass of the gases present in our atmosphere are far too small for that to make any sense).

Thanks. :tu:

Actually the energy of explosion would be the same as in an atmosphere. The chain reaction occurs in the fissile material (the uranium or the plutonium) an the mass of this would be the same.

There would be know air blast to push against the asteroid (there being no air) but if it was exploded on the surface it would leve the same size crater as on earth.

However the theory behind using nuclear weapons against asteroids is not so much to destroy them but to deflect them. The weapon is detonated not on the surface of the asteroid but at a distance away. The intense heat and other radition caused by the nuclear explosion vapourises some of the asteroids surface. As this vapour vents into space it works like a rocket thruster pushing the asteroid into a slightly different orbit and so, hopefully, it misses the earth.

There are big dangers in this method. It now seems that some asteroids are loose collections of debris rather than a single large object. Using nuclear weapons against such a conglomeration may have no effect at all. Alternatively it could cause the asteroid to break into many peaces causing multiple impacts on the earth and actually making the situation worse.

Thanks for the explanation :tu:

Although, if I'm honest, I didn't know that - I just meant nuke in an ironic fashion, as that seems to be the cause of and soloution to all problems nowadays. Actually, maybe not the cause, but definitely the solution...