Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Universe is football-shaped

schadeaux

Astronomers studying radiation left over from the dawn of time believe the cosmos is the shape of a football.

They say it is a finite "dodecahedron" made of curved pentagons joined together.

However if you went out to the edge of the "ball" you would find yourself coming back in through the opposite face.

The research, reported in the journal Nature, is based on data from a space craft mapping the background radiation left over from the Big Bang.

Nasa's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe showed that temperature fluctuations across the sky are smaller than would be produced by an infinite universe.

New York mathematician Dr Jeffrey Weeks and colleagues worked out that a football-shaped finite universe best fitted the observations.

If the results are confirmed, they would mean the universe is relatively small - about 70 billion light years across.

They would also rule out exotic ideas such as "chaotic inflation" which proposes that our local universe is just one of a myriad expanding bubbles.

The scientists wrote: "Since antiquity, humans have wondered whether our universe is finite or infinite. Now, after more than two millennia of speculation, observational data might finally settle this ancient question."

Ananova

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nintendork

• Phantom

• antares

• Pickled~Tacos

However if you went out to the edge of the "ball" you would find yourself coming back in through the opposite face.

would I be correct in relating this to the "pac man effect"?

Go off one side of the screen, then come in the other...

so is that a football..the real football you know a like earth the moon and other planets...ROUND

or is it the football as in AMERICAN FOOTBALL...i.e sissy boy rugby whistling2.gif

i would imagine that it is in the shape of a soccer football and not the american footballs (not sissy boy rugby) because how could the universe come to two points at the ends and then be curved on the edges? disgust.gif

that would just be wierd wacko.gif

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST RUGBY!? ohmy.gif

Nothing, Dorkstar. It's American Football that has been called "sissy boy rugby", understand?

would I be correct in relating this to the "pac man effect"?

Go off one side of the screen, then come in the other...

grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif I like this one!

It depends on what boundary conditions you will set at the corners of the Universe...

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST RUGBY!? ohmy.gif

Nothing, Dorkstar. It's American Football that has been called "sissy boy rugby", understand?

please, can you Call me nintendork?

please, can you Call me nintendork?

At least they aren't calling you Segadork. wink2.gif

How about we call him Dorkmaster Dork?

Anyhoo, how have they ruled out the existence of other universes? I'm sure it's somewhere in the article, but I have a really short attention span.