Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prehistoric ecosystem found in Israeli cave

__Kratos__

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli scientists said on Wednesday they had discovered a prehistoric ecosystem dating back millions of years.

The discovery was made in a cave near the central Israeli city of Ramle during rock drilling at a quarry. Scientists were called in and soon found eight previously unknown species of crustaceans and invertebrates similar to scorpions.

"Until now eight species of animals were found in the cave, all of them unknown to science," said Dr Hanan Dimantman, a biologist at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

He said the cave's ecosystem probably dates back around five million years when the Mediterranean Sea covered parts of Israel.

The cave was completely sealed off from the world, including from water and nutrients seeping through rock crevices above. Scientists who discovered the cave believe it has been intact for millions of years.

"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

Samples of the animals discovered in the cave were sent for DNA tests which found they were unique, he said. The cave has been closed off as scientists conduct a more detailed survey.

"This is a cave of fantastic biodiversity," Dimantman said.

Source

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First thing I thought of was the movie "The Cave". :lol:

Edited by __Kratos__

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• frogfish

• Carajbu

• Anubi

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really interesting, thanks for posting.

I wonder what else is sealed off underground

Nice find :tu: Literally...

Edited by frogfish

"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

I don't get this bit really, I'd have thought the first inference would have been that they were sea creatures living in deep sea and/or close to or on the sea bed. Saying they lost their sight would imply they had sight to begin with, which doesn't match with the description of being a previously undiscovered species.

Maybe im just reading it wrong hehe

I'd have thought the first inference would have been that they were sea creatures living in deep sea and/or close to or on the sea bed. Saying they lost their sight would imply they had sight to begin with, which doesn't match with the description of being a previously undiscovered species.

They are implying that the ancestors had eyesight.

Quality!

Thanks for the link.

That looks more like a crawfish. In fact in some of the images they do call it a crustacean.

In fact here is the same picture saying that it is a crustacean:

Yahoo link

Either way, it was a wonderful discovery!! :)

That looks more like a crawfish. In fact in some of the images they do call it a crustacean.

In fact here is the same picture saying that it is a crustacean:

Yahoo link

Either way, it was a wonderful discovery!! :)

Hmm... Well I wonder why that is? Maybe someone is getting screwed up somewhere along the line? :P I'll have to look around and find out. ;)