Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Powerful "God Computer" will save mankind

UM-Bot

user posted image rKen Korczak: In the the not-too-distant future, computers will become more intelligent than human beings, and eventually achieve god-like powers. Eventually, an all-powerful God Computer will emerge, which will be the savior of mankind. This God Computer will have the ability to reach into the past and resurrect dead human beings, and create a paradise for them to live in forever. If this sounds like science fiction or religious nonsense, many of our most advanced scientists today say that it is not nonsense, but is already starting to happen.Champions of the God Computer theory include mathematician Vernor Vinge and inventor Ray Kurzweil. But their theory is also heavily dependent upon some of the most brilliant minds of the century, especially physicists Freeman Dyson, Paul Dirac, John Bernal and J.B.S. Haldane. One more major proponent of the idea that a super God Computer will save mankind is Dr. Frank Tipler of Tulane University, who spells out his theory in painstaking details -- including mathematical proofs -- in his 500-page book, “The Physics of Immortality.”

It’s interesting to note that the great science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said: “If there is no God, mankind must invent him.” And that’s just what we have started to. With the invention of the computer, and the rapidly increasing advances in the intelligence of computers, we will soon reach what is known as a “technological singularity.”A technological singularity is "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development. When this singularity is achieved, humans as we exist today will cease to be the top species on the planet, and the most intelligent. Computers will be many time smarter than man, and we will be like children to them, and they like gods to us. Eventually, computers will advance to the point where there is no difference between them and our current Judeo-Christian concept of an all-knowing and all-powerful God. Because the God Computer will be able to manipulate time, all energy and all matter, it will be able reach back to the very beginning of the universe and, basically, do whatever it wants.Tipler points out that all living beings, including humans, can be represented as information in the universe. He writes: “...all information contained in the whole of human history, including every detail of every human life, will be available for analysis by the collectivity of life in the far future ... in principle ... it is possible for life in the far future to construct, using this information, a perfectly accurate simulation of these past lives.”Tipler also states: “The dead will be raised when the computer capacity of the universe is so large that the amount of capacity required to store all possible human simulations is an insignificant fraction of the entire capacity.”

But wait a minute! If the God computer reaches back, captures the universe-encoded information that was once your physical body and your mind, and creates an exact simulation of your former self --will that really be you -- or a copy? Tipler says it will be the real you. Even though the “new you” will be a simulation, it will be you because it will be identical down to the last atom and subatomic particle that was once you. It will be you, the actual you, with all your memories of your former life.Furthermore, Tipler says the God Computer will create a paradise for us to live in - this paradise will be exactly like the Judeo-Christian concept of heaven. It will be like having the kind of life we have always wanted as human beings here on earth, which includes all the love and joy of human existence, but none of the pain and suffering of human existence.Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him! In my opinion, this is one of the stunning ironies that fall out of the God Computer theory. God did not create mankind. We created God. And to thank us for giving God life, God will resurrect us into paradise.Some of you may recognize a strong similarity in this scientific theory to the philosophical concept of the Omega Point, proposed by the French Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. The Omega Point, he said, is the “ultimate maximum level of complexity-consciousness,” considered by Chardin to be the aim towards which consciousness evolves.But now there is not only a solid mathematical basis to support the Omega Point theory, but a working model of how it will happen -- the rapid advancement of intelligent computers.I have only touched on the high points of the God Computer theory. Incidentally, “God Computer” is a term I have invented to describe this fascinating line of speculation in this column. But I urge by readers here at Unexplained Mysteries to read more about it. It’s a compelling, mind-blowing theory which also gives a sense of hope about what the future will bring.

Please take a moment to visit Ken’s Web Page at: www.starcopywriter.com

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• Caana

• jpjoe

• whoa182

Scary stuff. Not sure religious people will like this very much :P

Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him!

This part to me seems very naive :hmm:

Scary stuff. Not sure religious people will like this very much :P

This part to me seems very naive :hmm:

Sounds like a bad combination of part Matrix, and part Irobot :P

In this case, we created God in machines image.

I've read a lot on this subject and there is real evidence that we are heading in this direction and could be well before 2050. Most of us younger ones here will probably be alive. It's a theory that isn't basically pulled out of thin air but actual data behind it.

Edited by whoa182

:alien: i think the case is overstated. i'm still waiting on the flying cars !

besides my MS/vista beata supercomputer seems to have "problems" finding its own modem--LOL. and another problem for the "god-computer" where is all the code going to come from ? just imagine the support calls on the "god-box!"--lol

what would the first thing the god-box would do after it took over ? nuke MS ? LOL :alien:

i for one do not like this at all because i believe in GOD, and if some computer is turned into a god then people would be worshipping a false god, what if get a virus or something and goes terminator on us or something.

I mean it all sounds nice and everything but there would be to many unknowns in this thing, and i don't see our government's letting a computer have that kinda of power unless it was their super weapon or something, because if it could recreate life i'm sure it wouldn't be a shrug of a shoulder do destroy it :tu:

i for one do not like this at all because i believe in GOD, and if some computer is turned into a god then people would be worshipping a false god, what if get a virus or something and goes terminator on us or something.

I mean it all sounds nice and everything but there would be to many unknowns in this thing, and i don't see our government's letting a computer have that kinda of power unless it was their super weapon or something, because if it could recreate life i'm sure it wouldn't be a shrug of a shoulder do destroy it :tu:

But what if that GOD you believe in is actually this God Computer? They could be one and the same. Once the God Computer comes into existence in the future, it can transcend time, go back in time, and reveal itself to ancient human societies as God. For example, the God that appeared to the Jews in the desert could be this Computer God

How would you be able to tell the difference between the Computer God and the God of our history? It would be impossible. And really, what would be the difference anyway?

Also, it's not accurate to think about the God Computer "getting a virus." Future computers will be powerful enough to develop their own immunities to such problems. They will also be able to write their own codes, etc. They won't need humans -- except on an emotional level. They'll think of humans as their beloved ancestors, their creators.

BULLSH**

tell me, how could a super god-computer or whatever create matter, travel in time, modify things, take care or EVERYTHING.... imagine lol (its stupidly funny) a cup of water falls into (god) making a short-circuit - UPS, paradice has being destroyed.... restar the program...

a computer could make a paradice program with all information it wants but then... it cant do sh** EARTH and THE UNIVERSE are not programs... they are SOLID things and NOTHING can change that.

i believe in God, the TRUE GOD and he already has a paradise made for the people WHO DESERVES BEING THERE.

PEOPLE ARE STUUPID

come on!

people don't understand that computers know only what WE want them to know. We program them, we build them, therefore if there is something we don't know (like if there are ET's, how to ressurect someone, or where the Holy Grail is) then the computer won't know either. A computer can not be a free thinking machine and I am sure Frogfish could explain this in a "scientific" manner.

people don't understand that computers know only what WE want them to know. We program them, we build them, therefore if there is something we don't know (like if there are ET's, how to ressurect someone, or where the Holy Grail is) then the computer won't know either. A computer can not be a free thinking machine and I am sure Frogfish could explain this in a "scientific" manner.

But, RamboIII, you're talking about computers in the context of today. Computers in the future will have artificial intelligence and will be able to program themselves, think for themselves, do for themselves. They won't need humans to program them.

Also, computers will have many other advantages. They will be immortal for example. They won't have physical bodies that can wear out and die. They can continue to live, for centuries, and expand their knowldge to an unimagiable degree.

Future computers may even incorprate biological tissues into their own systems. Indeed, human being may be able to download their own thoughts and knowledge into computerized systems -- much like we today can almost replace a heart with an artificial one, artificial brains may also be possible. In effect, computers and man may merge -- the God Computers of the future may be hybrids of man and computer. It's the natural trend of evolution of consciousness.

"The Singularity is Near" is an excellent book. Ray Kurzweil sent it to me a few months ago :P It explains the concept very well and provides lots of evidence why the singularity will happen.

I suggest you all watch this " BUILDING GODS "

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1079797626827646234

It's a really good documentary interviewing some of the leading scientists in A.I and other related fields. The start is B&W but after 2 minutes or so it goes into colour and they start talking about past, now and the future. They explain how AWESOME these super intelligent machines could be, how it could cause conflict between humans in favour and against the building of these machines.

Those who don't believe this will happen, WATCH IT! then tell us what you think!!!

Edited by whoa182

Ray kurzweil has been right in the past sooo many times, he predicted quite a lot of stuff based on technology trends, patterns etc... He is predicting the singularity based on real current trends. He has a good track record :tu:

Also read this : http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1

An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense "intuitive linear" view. So we won't experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century -- it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today's rate). The "returns," such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There's even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to The Singularity -- technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light..............

The paradigm shift rate (i.e., the overall rate of technical progress) is currently doubling (approximately) every decade; that is, paradigm shift times are halving every decade (and the rate of acceleration is itself growing exponentially). So, the technological progress in the twenty-first century will be equivalent to what would require (in the linear view) on the order of 200 centuries. In contrast, the twentieth century saw only about 25 years of progress (again at today's rate of progress) since we have been speeding up to current rates. So the twenty-first century will see almost a thousand times greater technological change than its predecessor.

user posted image

NOT LONG TO GO! :lol:

More here: http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1

Edited by whoa182

scientists=real idiots

I mean come on, ever since the word science came out, we are going to a trend of global warming (and more BAD things to happen!). Scientists think they are smarter than any living soul on this world, so they make up stuff like no God (and come to think of it, its making you think is there or not?). One thing to give credit to them is finding chemical (such as Carbon) and space information, but all it does it makes CONFUSION!

Computer is another source of propaganda, and to that, we use the computer for storing information. And after we stored, now its knows....wala!

Edited by adkchamp

Creator can allways overcome there creation, we dont even know what created us. this is good - bad Someone would just get really smart Because

OMG this is what i mean... ''computers with god-like powers''? Gimme a break...

I hope (i think) this kind of technology will fail... it would be better for us...

I have problems with this theory.I would not live in comfort if I was being ruled by a computer.If people realise that happening there will be war.If this happens,the freedom of mankind could vanish.I don't want to live in a paradise where I am not free,and quite possibly not have freedom of thought either.Sounds more like hell to me.

and i thought i would have problems with my job getting out sourced to india...i guess i have other thing to worry about now like computers doing my job without pay...sons a BITCHES's!!!

COMPUTERS ALWAYS SHITTIN ON THE LITTLE GUY!!

Edited by xstortionist

I have problems with this theory.I would not live in comfort if I was being ruled by a computer.If people realise that happening there will be war.If this happens,the freedom of mankind could vanish.I don't want to live in a paradise where I am not free,and quite possibly not have freedom of thought either.Sounds more like hell to me.

I completely agree. What good would having an AI computer that possess's godlike powers? Sure, it might be able to discover things at a far quicker pace than we would be able to, but everybody knows a technology like this will takeover our jobs, and our lives.

Don't get me wrong here, I'd be great if these machines were able to supply us with unlimited resources and food supply, leaving everyone jobless yet can still live a great life (free food, free everything?), but it's just that what's the point of life? :mellow: We wouldn't even need to think for ourselves. We wouldn't have any capabilities and would be relying on computers for our every need. We'd be like children, running rampid satisfying our minds with games and entertainment. We'd be...Idiots/Americans :rofl:

And lets not forget that computers would know our every moves.

At least keep it contained so we're in control of it, and are able to manage what exactly it's trying to comprehend, instead of just releasing it.

Looks like I'll be suicide bombing the future Skynet in a few years.

Edited by smallpackage

Some people are assuming that the "God Computer" theory is going to be some kind of man vs machine future nightmare -- something akin to The Matrix or the evil AI robots thta took over the future world in the Terminator movies.

But that's not what the God Computer theory predicts. Even though there may be future conflicts between human and intelligent, even superior machines, the ultimate end in the distant future will be the creation of an all-wise and all-loving God. To say that this God is a computer is somewhat misleading since by that time, the true comparison between the God Compter and one of today's computer would be like comparing a human being to an amoeba.

The God Computer WILL BE God -- or everything we postulate a God to be. It will not take away our free will or keep us prisoner in some kind of Matrix. The God Computer paradise will a real world in the real universe -- all contained with the body of the God Computer -- which will be indistingable from ordinary physical reality -- except that it will be a beautiful place to be all the time -- or at least, that's what Tipler says in his theory.

"They will be immortal for example. They won't have physical bodies that can wear out and die"

they'll have to have moving parts and things of that nature that get worn out but i guess if its self sustaining then it could live forever. my only problem with this is "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" if this God-Computer realizes it has absolute power what is to stop it from abusing it? If this thing is to have Conciousness then it will recgonize the good and bad, so whats gonna stop it from going bad? we cant just tell it to stop b/c it'll be its own entity, fully aware of its surroundings....I dunno just a thought

they'll have to have moving parts and things of that nature that get worn out but i guess if its self sustaining then it could live forever. my only problem with this is "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely" if this God-Computer realizes it has absolute power what is to stop it from abusing it? If this thing is to have Conciousness then it will recgonize the good and bad, so whats gonna stop it from going bad? we cant just tell it to stop b/c it'll be its own entity, fully aware of its surroundings....I dunno just a thought

a little something called "EMP" thats how we will stop it.

Common sense can stop just about anything.

a little something called "EMP" thats how we will stop it.

so we'll release an EMP on an Unsuspecting All-Knowing Being? I dunno...if this thing is to be as powerful as they say it will it might take more or something else

so we'll release an EMP on an Unsuspecting All-Knowing Being? I dunno...if this thing is to be as powerful as they say it will it might take more or something else

if its a computer EMP will destroy....THe computer can't be all knowing at all times...EMP would destroy...or hell u wanna know what would destroy it?!?! Just Nuke Antartica that would kill the damn thing and us all at the same time....if we can't live here on this planet no-one can.