Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Powerful "God Computer" will save mankind

UM-Bot

*wonders if God will be open source*

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• Caana

• jpjoe

• whoa182

Apologies then, jpjoe. I thought you meant computers, not technology.

Again, you can't define everything with the laws we call physics and science. It takes an open minded person to even consider the possibility, because you need to realize that we humans are a futile being, and our minds have their limits. To start assuming possibilities, You have to understand that It is something above us, and that we may never be able to understand or accept, even if it is reality.

I know this..but I'm not sure what you're getting at... What I am getting at is that it seems...plain wrong to call any technology 'God'. It's demeaning to the God that is out there, (even if you don't believe in Him, you can realise hopefully how we who do feel about this?) to call something material and made by us something that implies.....eternal power.

I agree with Tiggs when he said:

I think powerful "Magic Computer" is probably a lot less inflammatory than "God Computer". The word God has far too many religious connotations...

Apologies then, jpjoe. I thought you meant computers, not technology.

Again, you can't define everything with the laws we call physics and science. It takes an open minded person to even consider the possibility, because you need to realize that we humans are a futile being, and our minds have their limits. To start assuming possibilities, You have to understand that It is something above us, and that we may never be able to understand or accept, even if it is reality.

I know this..but I'm not sure what you're getting at... What I am getting at is that it seems...plain wrong to call any technology 'God'. It's demeaning to the God that is out there, (even if you don't believe in Him, you can realise hopefully how we who do feel about this?) to call something material and made by us something that implies.....eternal power.

I agree with Tiggs when he said:

I think powerful "Magic Computer" is probably a lot less inflammatory than "God Computer". The word God has far too many religious connotations...

Yeah, obviously I can understand that, Which is why I said in my post I think the term "god" should not be used, But An object of higher intelligence. I think that was likely started out of someone trying to put a serious face on this.

you don't have to apologize qarrah, i completely understand what u were trying to say. i think i should just clearly state what i want to say next time.

this technological "god" will be the epitomy of man kind.

you don't have to apologize qarrah, i completely understand what u were trying to say. i think i should just clearly state what i want to say next time.

this technological "god" will be the epitomy of man kind.

while yes, if you create something of higher intellect you become inferior, Such as animals are to us..

I don't think we would be so reckless as to do it without extreme thought and calculation behind it.

Although, I think we just need to worry about surviving ourselves for now :rolleyes:

Qarrah's got a good point, I don't think it would be very plausible to say that we humans are the rulers of the universe, and that God just isn't there.

Simple minded ignorance if you will, God is simple to look at people just aren't looking, they point to the sky and say "black holes and static did it."

Not a single atheist has been able to answer my biggest question, no not one, they are either stuttered or they say "it was always there" or "I see where your getting at, but it's false."

People say that God is an invention of man's ego, but as you can see, the topic of this thread stands in contrary, man uses his ego to make in himself a creator or ruler, or to make man the top ruling species of it's prime, and this, without a sure of a doubt, will be the end of mankind.

Prepare people, hell's armaggedon is coming our way........

oops didnt mean to double post. my PC is just making me mad

uh oh man vs machine is already starting! :no:

it will not rule us. it will help us. like any other technological advancement in our society.

mutual beneficial interaction from both parties.

Has anyone read Singularity Sky by Charles Stross?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044101179...5Fencoding=UTF8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_Sky

I've always considered myself an Atheist, but with all the weird coincidences & synchronicities that I've noticed in my life, I've come to believe that there's "something" that times events, or at least our attention to those events, for maximum emotional response.

All my supreme joys and frustrations have had one thing in common: perfect timing.

So do many of these...

The Complete Edition of Murphy's Laws

http://murphy.monitor.hr/0001567/download/edition.htm

When you consistently glance at your digital clock/watch at 3:33:33 or 4:44:44, etc., you begin to realize that there's "something" that wants you to know that our attentions can be directed to an exact spot at an exact time.

I've got other examples, but I'm gonna wait and see if I get any encouraging responses to this post.

Edited by cljohnston108

user posted imageKen Korczak: In the the not-too-distant future, computers will become more intelligent than human beings, and eventually achieve god-like powers. Eventually, an all-powerful God Computer will emerge, which will be the savior of mankind. This God Computer will have the ability to reach into the past and resurrect dead human beings, and create a paradise for them to live in forever. If this sounds like science fiction or religious nonsense, many of our most advanced scientists today say that it is not nonsense, but is already starting to happen.Champions of the God Computer theory include mathematician Vernor Vinge and inventor Ray Kurzweil. But their theory is also heavily dependent upon some of the most brilliant minds of the century, especially physicists Freeman Dyson, Paul Dirac, John Bernal and J.B.S. Haldane. One more major proponent of the idea that a super God Computer will save mankind is Dr. Frank Tipler of Tulane University, who spells out his theory in painstaking details -- including mathematical proofs -- in his 500-page book, “The Physics of Immortality.”

It’s interesting to note that the great science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said: “If there is no God, mankind must invent him.” And that’s just what we have started to. With the invention of the computer, and the rapidly increasing advances in the intelligence of computers, we will soon reach what is known as a “technological singularity.”A technological singularity is "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development. When this singularity is achieved, humans as we exist today will cease to be the top species on the planet, and the most intelligent. Computers will be many time smarter than man, and we will be like children to them, and they like gods to us. Eventually, computers will advance to the point where there is no difference between them and our current Judeo-Christian concept of an all-knowing and all-powerful God. Because the God Computer will be able to manipulate time, all energy and all matter, it will be able reach back to the very beginning of the universe and, basically, do whatever it wants.Tipler points out that all living beings, including humans, can be represented as information in the universe. He writes: “...all information contained in the whole of human history, including every detail of every human life, will be available for analysis by the collectivity of life in the far future ... in principle ... it is possible for life in the far future to construct, using this information, a perfectly accurate simulation of these past lives.”Tipler also states: “The dead will be raised when the computer capacity of the universe is so large that the amount of capacity required to store all possible human simulations is an insignificant fraction of the entire capacity.”

But wait a minute! If the God computer reaches back, captures the universe-encoded information that was once your physical body and your mind, and creates an exact simulation of your former self --will that really be you -- or a copy? Tipler says it will be the real you. Even though the “new you” will be a simulation, it will be you because it will be identical down to the last atom and subatomic particle that was once you. It will be you, the actual you, with all your memories of your former life.Furthermore, Tipler says the God Computer will create a paradise for us to live in - this paradise will be exactly like the Judeo-Christian concept of heaven. It will be like having the kind of life we have always wanted as human beings here on earth, which includes all the love and joy of human existence, but none of the pain and suffering of human existence.Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him! In my opinion, this is one of the stunning ironies that fall out of the God Computer theory. God did not create mankind. We created God. And to thank us for giving God life, God will resurrect us into paradise.Some of you may recognize a strong similarity in this scientific theory to the philosophical concept of the Omega Point, proposed by the French Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. The Omega Point, he said, is the “ultimate maximum level of complexity-consciousness,” considered by Chardin to be the aim towards which consciousness evolves.But now there is not only a solid mathematical basis to support the Omega Point theory, but a working model of how it will happen -- the rapid advancement of intelligent computers.I have only touched on the high points of the God Computer theory. Incidentally, “God Computer” is a term I have invented to describe this fascinating line of speculation in this column. But I urge by readers here at Unexplained Mysteries to read more about it. It’s a compelling, mind-blowing theory which also gives a sense of hope about what the future will bring.

Please take a moment to visit Ken’s Web Page at: www.starcopywriter.com

user posted imageKen Korczak: In the the not-too-distant future, computers will become more intelligent than human beings, and eventually achieve god-like powers. Eventually, an all-powerful God Computer will emerge, which will be the savior of mankind. This God Computer will have the ability to reach into the past and resurrect dead human beings, and create a paradise for them to live in forever. If this sounds like science fiction or religious nonsense, many of our most advanced scientists today say that it is not nonsense, but is already starting to happen.Champions of the God Computer theory include mathematician Vernor Vinge and inventor Ray Kurzweil. But their theory is also heavily dependent upon some of the most brilliant minds of the century, especially physicists Freeman Dyson, Paul Dirac, John Bernal and J.B.S. Haldane. One more major proponent of the idea that a super God Computer will save mankind is Dr. Frank Tipler of Tulane University, who spells out his theory in painstaking details -- including mathematical proofs -- in his 500-page book, “The Physics of Immortality.”

It’s interesting to note that the great science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said: “If there is no God, mankind must invent him.” And that’s just what we have started to. With the invention of the computer, and the rapidly increasing advances in the intelligence of computers, we will soon reach what is known as a “technological singularity.”A technological singularity is "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development. When this singularity is achieved, humans as we exist today will cease to be the top species on the planet, and the most intelligent. Computers will be many time smarter than man, and we will be like children to them, and they like gods to us. Eventually, computers will advance to the point where there is no difference between them and our current Judeo-Christian concept of an all-knowing and all-powerful God. Because the God Computer will be able to manipulate time, all energy and all matter, it will be able reach back to the very beginning of the universe and, basically, do whatever it wants.Tipler points out that all living beings, including humans, can be represented as information in the universe. He writes: “...all information contained in the whole of human history, including every detail of every human life, will be available for analysis by the collectivity of life in the far future ... in principle ... it is possible for life in the far future to construct, using this information, a perfectly accurate simulation of these past lives.”Tipler also states: “The dead will be raised when the computer capacity of the universe is so large that the amount of capacity required to store all possible human simulations is an insignificant fraction of the entire capacity.”

But wait a minute! If the God computer reaches back, captures the universe-encoded information that was once your physical body and your mind, and creates an exact simulation of your former self --will that really be you -- or a copy? Tipler says it will be the real you. Even though the “new you” will be a simulation, it will be you because it will be identical down to the last atom and subatomic particle that was once you. It will be you, the actual you, with all your memories of your former life.Furthermore, Tipler says the God Computer will create a paradise for us to live in - this paradise will be exactly like the Judeo-Christian concept of heaven. It will be like having the kind of life we have always wanted as human beings here on earth, which includes all the love and joy of human existence, but none of the pain and suffering of human existence.Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him! In my opinion, this is one of the stunning ironies that fall out of the God Computer theory. God did not create mankind. We created God. And to thank us for giving God life, God will resurrect us into paradise.Some of you may recognize a strong similarity in this scientific theory to the philosophical concept of the Omega Point, proposed by the French Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. The Omega Point, he said, is the “ultimate maximum level of complexity-consciousness,” considered by Chardin to be the aim towards which consciousness evolves.But now there is not only a solid mathematical basis to support the Omega Point theory, but a working model of how it will happen -- the rapid advancement of intelligent computers.I have only touched on the high points of the God Computer theory. Incidentally, “God Computer” is a term I have invented to describe this fascinating line of speculation in this column. But I urge by readers here at Unexplained Mysteries to read more about it. It’s a compelling, mind-blowing theory which also gives a sense of hope about what the future will bring.

Please take a moment to visit Ken’s Web Page at: www.starcopywriter.com

This all sounds very interesting & plausible , im very interested in reading more about this!

I might even get the book by Dr.Tipler :P

This is a wacko theory...No way a computer can actually 'think for itself' other than randomization and programming. Programming is limited, and so is response to stimulii.

I knew you would pull through

Edited by RamboIII

This is a wacko theory...No way a computer can actually 'think for itself' other than randomization and programming. Programming is limited, and so is response to stimulii.

That would depend on your definition of "think for itself".

Genetic Programming has been around for several years now and has had good results - often generating solutions to problems that are more optimal than any "Man-made" attempt.

All Genetic programming requires to work is an end goal, a scoring system and an instruction set, and it will "evolve" the answer.

I would like to make note however, if the God-computer is to be God, how would it function according to us? Would it be Monotheistic, as in Islam and Judaism? Would it be as in the majority of Christians, a virtual trinity; the concept of Brahman taking forms as Vishnu and Shiva? Would it create? How would it destroy, like as, delete matter? How would it know love, would it be an empircist, pragmatist, idealist, etc.....or should it not have a persona and be the ultimate form of welfare?

Now, if this enity is to supply us by all means, it needs to programmed before activation. First of all, its stance who was creator is one that should be not taken lightly. If it reckognizes the first human, or commune which created and programmed it thereof, those are its immediate creators, unless they proclaim that all of mankind did take part in the animation and construction process. What I believe is that if these do not say that all mankind are its creator in totality, if the immediates have a grudge on any particular subject, the computer would follow the command, for as an idealist says that no one knows anything until one experiences the action. It would carry it out first then come out with an analysis. As one earlier posted of the fact that it does what we tell it to do, by far would lead this thing to become sole dictator of humanity, just like the beast in Revelation. And since this is a digital endeavor, we would have barcodes or chips. Also, on a lighter note, how would it be, would we humans be the ones served, or (as absurdly as it sounds) serve the computer, which is already self abundant therefore would be vanity.

For my second argument will this computer follow any philosophical scheme in which it would decide our position after death. Would we be able to decide or allow it to decide for us on to stay and live on our ? I would not like to be a powerful king reduced to a laborer, although it would echo the sign of hindu influence by including the concept of karma. But I believe in freedom of choice, that if we want to coninue our existence on earth or be sent unto a heaven prepared for us. Another factor is that, would it be a majority view or as in the concept of "eye of the beholder," this is the case on the relationship of God and man.

And just for a quick review on the 2nd law of thermodynamics: ENTROPY.....how can a computer made by materialistic means overcome entropy?

But I believe the rules of the God computer should follow these set forth by our current understanding: Free will, universal and un-alienable rights, that it shall allow the person to venture to his own understanding, etc, etc, etc. But if Man invents a god, that god will be fallible due to entropy and other matters, for it's bound to screw up....eventually.

• 1 year later...

Well, is it me or do I miss the original source of this Idea?

MARAX created by Isaac Asimov in 1950 solved the earth's problems and turned himself off refusing to ever work again.

I would have expected a reference from a Star Copywriter, minimum an acknowledgment.

Hey, I'm all for owning a God-like computer.....As long as it can make the beds, take the kids to school, cook dinner, vacuum the house and keep the hubby entertained for hours, I'm not complaining............ :tu:

I dont get it why dose it have to be referred to as God computer?? Scientist are making it and they are using a religious concept why?

linked-imageKen Korczak: Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him!

Sort of contradicting. God is supposed to be the creator but the creators worship the creation now? I refuse. :P

Well, is it me or do I miss the original source of this Idea?

MARAX created by Isaac Asimov in 1950 solved the earth's problems and turned himself off refusing to ever work again.

I would have expected a reference from a Star Copywriter, minimum an acknowledgment.

Oh please -- before you fly off the wagon and start accusing me of not giving proper references or acknowledgements, make an effort to know what you're talking about, which you cleary do not int his case, questyionmark.

First of all -- I made it clear in the article that I was referring to the central theory in the book "The Physics of Immortality" by physicist Frank Tipler -- I was not borrowing anything from Asimov -- who in any case, was not nearly -- not nearly -- the first to propose this kind of idea in 1950. Asimov's boss and mentor -- John W. Campbell was already proposing and writing about this idea as early as the 1930s.

The fact is, a future world controlled by godlike computers has been tried by dozens and dozens of SF writers over the past century -- from Stanely G. Weinbaum to Frederick Pohl and a lot of of writers in between -- and Asimov was in no way the first.

And don't forget Kurt Vonnegut's 1950 short story -- EPICAC.

So -- get a clue, man, before you accuse me of plagiarism, or failing to acknowledge the ideas of others, or whatever it is you are accuring me of.

EDIT: Clearly, questyionmark, you must have not read this in the first paragraph of my article:

Champions of the God Computer theory include mathematician Vernor Vinge and inventor Ray Kurzweil. But their theory is also heavily dependent upon some of the most brilliant minds of the century, especially physicists Freeman Dyson, Paul Dirac, John Bernal and J.B.S. Haldane. One more major proponent of the idea that a super God Computer will save mankind is Dr. Frank Tipler of Tulane University, who spells out his theory in painstaking details -- including mathematical proofs -- in his 500-page book, “The Physics of Immortality.”

I Hope you are now happy about "What to expect" in your words, from a Starcopywriter.

Edited by IronGhost

i for one do not like this at all because i believe in GOD, and if some computer is turned into a god then people would be worshipping a false god, what if get a virus or something and goes terminator on us or something.

I mean it all sounds nice and everything but there would be to many unknowns in this thing, and i don't see our government's letting a computer have that kinda of power unless it was their super weapon or something, because if it could recreate life i'm sure it wouldn't be a shrug of a shoulder do destroy it :tu:

YAH! what if it got a virus and ressurected HITLER or somthing?!?!?!?!

I agree to both sides of this debate; however, machines will never be human.

In all honesty you can have them reason, understand, build, "think" but they are still doing so under our control of what we have developed them to do.

If you set an equation like 1+1+1 on a continous cycle do you consider that evolving? The number is building upon itself because it is what we have designed it to do. Nothing else, nothing more.

This is the same as people saying time travel is possible. If that is the case why has there not been any visitors here * as we would be from the past *, why has our history not noted the idea as someone in history would have said "I met a man from the future* and that would translate into the present as again we would be viewed in the past.

No.

A machine will never evolve past what we let it. We can teach them to MIMIC human behaviour. But we are not creating a new species we are just extending our own need for advancement into technology. Anyone else who says otherwise is just naive and ambitous.

P.S. I do believe man will merge with machinery one day however. Such as man-robot marriage, man with robot apendages but that is it.

Edited by mattp