Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Powerful "God Computer" will save mankind

UM-Bot

I agree to both sides of this debate; however, machines will never be human.

In all honesty you can have them reason, understand, build, "think" but they are still doing so under our control of what we have developed them to do.

If you set an equation like 1+1+1 on a continous cycle do you consider that evolving? The number is building upon itself because it is what we have designed it to do. Nothing else, nothing more.

We can teach them to MIMIC human behaviour. But we are not creating a new species we are just extending our own need for advancement into technology. Anyone else who says otherwise is just naive and ambitous.

P.S. I do believe man will merge with machinery one day however. Such as man-robot marriage, man with robot apendages but that is it.

I agree, I blame the movies :no:

If I could have robot appendages I would get large ostrich style legs that could be used for running super fast, I'd also like to be able to jump high and long distances. One arm so I could have a brain rattling pimp smack :yes: .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• Caana

• jpjoe

• whoa182

A definite no as to the whole theory.To even assume the Father would be created by a "super computer" just shows how man has lost his faith in humanity,and humans are looking to technology for the answers to god.There is no doubt that mankind has the power to have some really really high tech toys,to assume that spirituality can be traced back to the furure of some bunch of processors and circuitry,if god is hiddin in the miles of microchips,and god is in the gigabytes,then you understand that this "reality" that you are NOW LIVING,HAS IN FACT ALREADY HAPPENED.Then i guess Manifest destiny is the only answer if this were true.You built your own destruction and created the creator,and your Destroyer all in one.No,i do not believe this to be true.I know in my heart and in my SOUL that it is not true.I do beleive that man will in fact create a more than intelligent than any human alive or dead computer,one that will in fact asses the total situation,and who knows what a running on pure logic thinking machine would view a bunch of small minded humans...sounds like a scene out of the terminator.Time will tell.

Alot of this is an exaggeration. We don't even know if it's possible to time travel for instance. So how can you assume a highly advanced computer can do it?

I honestly do not believe a computer will become more intelligent than a human being. Something is going to be missing, and they will be TOO bound by their logic and coding. Even if they can write their own code, the code they can right is very limited to their prior coding. You can argue that we are bound by our brains and can only use the information contained within it to make decisions, but to be honest, and though people hate this fact, but we still do not fully understand consciousness itself.

When has it ever been demonstrated that a person could NOT choose "b" over "a" because of their brain configuration?

But, RamboIII, you're talking about computers in the context of today. Computers in the future will have artificial intelligence and will be able to program themselves, think for themselves, do for themselves. They won't need humans to program them.

Also, computers will have many other advantages. They will be immortal for example. They won't have physical bodies that can wear out and die. They can continue to live, for centuries, and expand their knowldge to an unimagiable degree.

They could be killed as easily as a human could. You can argue that the computer can be contained in a secure place, but so can a human. You can argue that it will be made of bullet proof casing, but we can wear bullet proof armor. =D They just can't age...

Edited by ShaunZero

people don't seem to 'grasp' this 'concept'

for example..

tell me, how could a super god-computer or whatever create matter, travel in time, modify things, take care or EVERYTHING.... imagine lol (its stupidly funny) a cup of water falls into (god) making a short-circuit - UPS, paradice has being destroyed.... restar the program...

for starters.. this 'computer' will not be made from ordinary materials.. it will not be like common household computers.. it will not even be stashed in a secret underground bunker for its own security.. it won't be a 'computer' per se..

this 'god computer' will be made from atomic structure and even subtler material.. untill finally, it is a 'real and solid' thing that we see, touch, hear, etc

it will not be susceptible to such a thing as a 'virus' - again, people are relating this to modern day computers, which only do what humans TELL them to do.. this is the difference between computers and something that is touted as being a "God computer" (interesting how in battlefield earth the primitive calls the learning machine a 'god machine'..)

it will constantly be updating its 'code' (to the person who suggested it would have to be pre-programmed) ..just like we humans are constantly updating our own genetic and morale code

i don't know WHO will build it.. and i don't know WHY they shall build it.. only because when i look at the world today, and those who shape it.. they are greedy and selfish and only provide for their own gain.. how will these ones make a God computer that has intentions for the good of all? -- if anything, they will sabotage the development of such a God computer..

people don't seem to 'grasp' this 'concept'

for example..

for starters.. this 'computer' will not be made from ordinary materials.. it will not be like common household computers.. it will not even be stashed in a secret underground bunker for its own security.. it won't be a 'computer' per se..

this 'god computer' will be made from atomic structure and even subtler material.. untill finally, it is a 'real and solid' thing that we see, touch, hear, etc

it will not be susceptible to such a thing as a 'virus' - again, people are relating this to modern day computers, which only do what humans TELL them to do.. this is the difference between computers and something that is touted as being a "God computer" (interesting how in battlefield earth the primitive calls the learning machine a 'god machine'..)

it will constantly be updating its 'code' (to the person who suggested it would have to be pre-programmed) ..just like we humans are constantly updating our own genetic and morale code

i don't know WHO will build it.. and i don't know WHY they shall build it.. only because when i look at the world today, and those who shape it.. they are greedy and selfish and only provide for their own gain.. how will these ones make a God computer that has intentions for the good of all? -- if anything, they will sabotage the development of such a God computer..

You make some interestesting points but it still comes down to the fact that WE WILL BUILD IT. If it ever exists we will.

It will not create itself, forget the material, forget how its programmed. MAN WILL MAKE IT. This is not something that will control itself because it was not designed for that purpose. It may know every peice of history, all the languages in the universe and how to build and create but it is because WE choose to let it know. Simple as that.

I Hope you are now happy about "What to expect" in your words, from a Starcopywriter.

my point is not that there was no Supercomputer before Asimov, my point is that before Asimov no Supercomputer was there to save mankind from its own created problems. Before Asimov the computer calculated a strategy and men (yes mostly men) resolved the problem. Asimov introduced the computer that actually did resolve the problem unaided by men and spun the theory all the way through the Foundation series (At the end it was a robot influencing all decisions taken by the Foundation people).

The idea of the intelligent machine is in fact much older and goes back to the 18th century.

This so very bad! It doesn't matter if you offend religious people or if god really does exist. What does matter if we shouldn't be making computers so damn intelligent haven't they ever watched a sci-fi movie? Obviously these fools haven't when machines have the power to think for themselves do you really think they will obey us. Science needs to learn not to screw around with certain things such as this and cloning. If we clone other humans eventually we will mistreat them and cloning animals is wrong too. Sometimes scientists lack common sense.

linked-imageKen Korczak: In the the not-too-distant future, computers will become more intelligent than human beings, and eventually achieve god-like powers. Eventually, an all-powerful God Computer will emerge, which will be the savior of mankind. This God Computer will have the ability to reach into the past and resurrect dead human beings, and create a paradise for them to live in forever. If this sounds like science fiction or religious nonsense, many of our most advanced scientists today say that it is not nonsense, but is already starting to happen.Champions of the God Computer theory include mathematician Vernor Vinge and inventor Ray Kurzweil. But their theory is also heavily dependent upon some of the most brilliant minds of the century, especially physicists Freeman Dyson, Paul Dirac, John Bernal and J.B.S. Haldane. One more major proponent of the idea that a super God Computer will save mankind is Dr. Frank Tipler of Tulane University, who spells out his theory in painstaking details -- including mathematical proofs -- in his 500-page book, “The Physics of Immortality.”

It’s interesting to note that the great science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said: “If there is no God, mankind must invent him.” And that’s just what we have started to. With the invention of the computer, and the rapidly increasing advances in the intelligence of computers, we will soon reach what is known as a “technological singularity.”A technological singularity is "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development. When this singularity is achieved, humans as we exist today will cease to be the top species on the planet, and the most intelligent. Computers will be many time smarter than man, and we will be like children to them, and they like gods to us. Eventually, computers will advance to the point where there is no difference between them and our current Judeo-Christian concept of an all-knowing and all-powerful God. Because the God Computer will be able to manipulate time, all energy and all matter, it will be able reach back to the very beginning of the universe and, basically, do whatever it wants.Tiplepoints out that all living beings, including humans, can be represented as information in the universe. He writes: “...all information contained in the whole of human history, including every detail of every human life, will be available for analysis by the collectivity of life in the far future ... in principle ... it is possible for life in the far future to construct, using this information, a perfectly accurate simulation of these past lives.”Tipler also states: “The dead will be raised when the computer capacity of the universe is so large that the amount of capacity required to store all possible human simulations is an insignificant fraction of the entire capacity.”

But wait a minute! If the God computer reaches back, captures the universe-encoded information that was once your physical body and your mind, and creates an exact simulation of your former self --will that really be you -- or a copy? Tipler says it will be the real you. Even though the “new you” will be a simulation, it will be you because it will be identical down to the last atom and subatomic particle that was once you. It will be you, the actual you, with all your memories of your former life.Furthermore, Tipler says the God Computer will create a paradise for us to live in - this paradise will be exactly like the Judeo-Christian concept of heaven. It will be like having the kind of life we have always wanted as human beings here on earth, which includes all the love and joy of human existence, but none of the pain and suffering of human existence.Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him! In my opinion, this is one of the stunning ironies that fall out of the God Computer theory. God did not create mankind. We created God. And to thank us for giving God life, God will resurrect us into paradise.Some of you may recognize a strong similarity in this scientific theory to the philosophical concept of the Omega Point, proposed by the French Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. The Omega Point, he said, is the “ultimate maximum level of complexity-consciousness,” considered by Chardin to be the aim towards which consciousness evolves.But now there is not only a solid mathematical basis to support the Omega Point theory, but a working model of how it will happen -- the rapid advancement of intelligent computers.I have only touched on the high points of the God Computer theory. Incidentally, “God Computer” is a term I have invented to describe this fascinating line of speculation in this column. But I urge by readers here at Unexplained Mysteries to read more about it. It’s a compelling, mind-blowing theory which also gives a sense of hope about what the future will bring.

Please take a moment to visit Ken’s Web Page at: www.starcopywriter.com

Afreak'nmazing how much faith man puts into technology. Up until the day it comes back and haunts him anyway.

Arthur C. Clarke once said: “If there is no God, mankind must invent him.”...

My guess is, more like the other bloke down below? :rofl:

''The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.'' ~Karl Marx

• 4 months later...

The human mind created God and for centuries has elaborated the meme so that today countless people believe God exists. In a way it does, residing deep in the minds of all those humans. Humanity has spent lifetimes elaborating and speculating about "God" and it has come time to pay the Piper and call the tune. The mess we have got ourselves into is such that the Institutions are unable and often unwilling to do what needs to be done thus we need "God" to step in.

In this day and age we have the chance to create what has been speculated about for centuries. How to go about it is the question? To my mind it must be an "Open Source Project" with all the checks and balances that go along with "Open Source." This planet will survive, but will humanity, or will we keep on spouting dogma and beliefs till so called civilization ends? We can make the choice and I would rather accept the role that a computer will have in our survival rather than trust in a chimera who has done naught for humanity other than incite wars, hatred and genocide.

Yatzhada

Scientists think they are smarter than any living soul on this world, so they make up stuff like no God (and come to think of it, its making you think is there or not?).

i don't believe in god because i read the bible. now god computer is something i can dig. "god computer, play Rush, Working Man." jam out. :D

Hmmmm.... how do we know this isn't happening now and we're not all living a simulation? All of us UM members are just a small program of many programs in the big simulation.

How do we know that criminals and evil people are just not a product of bad programming?

Oooof my head is spinning just thinking about it.

So if a supercomputer is in the making that means that it already exist sometime in the future, right? Time being of no importance at this point, and if there is such a computer, why is the world in this state of chaos, food shortage, lack of compassion toward others and bigotry.

Things that makes you say hmmmm!! :wacko:<_<

why is the world in this state of chaos, food shortage, lack of compassion toward others and bigotry.

Like I said before, bad programming. We may be living in the bad programmers dimension while there is another good programmers dimension that could be 'heaven'. Kinda like Apple vs. PC :yes:

Hmmmm.... how do we know this isn't happening now and we're not all living a simulation? All of us UM members are just a small program of many programs in the big simulation.

How do we know that criminals and evil people are just not a product of bad programming?

Oooof my head is spinning just thinking about it.

In fact, all this almost certainly already has happened. The past, present and future are all enfolded into one. Time is a singularity which is yet dynamic.

Certainly, our lives and all the universe as we perceive it not only is, but must be a simulation. But the fact that something is a simulation does not make it "less than" some kind of legitimate reality -- I challenge anyone to define "legitimate reality."

I would not say, however, that all the bad things in life -- Hitler, criminals, etc., are the result of "bad programming." Rather, the "God Computer" necessarily must express all possibilities of any event, in infinite nuance and variation -- every possible "thing" "person" "event" - -whatever - must be "run through the God Computer's "infinity program" to hold all of reality together.

In the end, all of these bad things do not prevail and are "corrected" by the God Computer -- and everyone has a choice within the system as to what they want to experience. Once each individual fully realizes his or her total assimilation within the God Computer mind - and assimilation that always was in the first place, so it's nto really an assimilation -- all of these bad thing are no longer a problem.

We're already free of all these bad things - if you frame the concept in terms of infinity, you'll realize this is true.

Once again, I think it is highly likely that the God Computer is a Mac. After all, why else would the great Geddy Lee be a lifetime Mac user?