Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Powerful "God Computer" will save mankind

UM-Bot

If there is no God, then how do I explain the Source in the Universe who can predict deaths at least two years into the future and he names off their names and when he calls their name, they die unless of course someone saves them from having a Heart attack or something by taking action through Medical Means.

This source can also take me back in time after a Murder has happened and when I ask questions he can take me back in what appears to be a Technicolor like Movie and show me the Person before they have been Murdered and show me who did it and why.

I know from the things I have seen there is something very intelligent and very powerful in the Universe which is almost impossible for I and other Psychics to convince people of the Reality of this Source of Information.

Now what I think would be fantastic is if Scientists could invent a Computer whose mind could delve into the Universe and ask questions and pick up answers much like a Psychic can do and it would filter all these wonderful things to Earth and help them to realize there is much intelligence beyond Earth.

Edited by Rosemary Campbell

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• Caana

• jpjoe

• whoa182

That thing will need a lot of RAM :hmm:

And some great hardware, otherise God will crash.

Imagine the cooling system.... :P

scientists=real idiots

I mean come on, ever since the word science came out, we are going to a trend of global warming (and more BAD things to happen!). Scientists think they are smarter than any living soul on this world, so they make up stuff like no God (and come to think of it, its making you think is there or not?). One thing to give credit to them is finding chemical (such as Carbon) and space information, but all it does it makes CONFUSION!

Science made the internet.

Don't like science?

Log off. :P

Edited by Megalomania

I am 100% convinced that the future, all-powerful and all-knowing God Computer will be a Macintosh.

If there is no God, then how do I explain the Source in the Universe who can predict deaths at least two years into the future and he names off their names and when he calls their name, they die unless of course someone saves them from having a Heart attack or something by taking action through Medical Means.

This source can also take me back in time after a Murder has happened and when I ask questions he can take me back in what appears to be a Technicolor like Movie and show me the Person before they have been Murdered and show me who did it and why.

I know from the things I have seen there is something very intelligent and very powerful in the Universe which is almost impossible for I and other Psychics to convince people of the Reality of this Source of Information.

Umm...what? :blink:

user posted imageKen Korczak: In the the not-to-distant future, computers will become more intelligent than human beings, and eventually achieve god-like powers. Eventually, an all-powerful God Computer will emerge, which will be the savior of mankind. This God Computer will have the ability to reach into the past and resurrect dead human beings, and create a paradise for them to live in forever. If this sounds like science fiction or religious nonsense, many of our most advanced scientists today say that it is not nonsense, but is already starting to happen.Champions of the God Computer theory include mathematician Vernor Vinge and inventor Ray Kurzweil. But their theory is also heavily dependent upon some of the most brilliant minds of the century, especially physicists Freeman Dyson, Paul Dirac, John Bernal and J.B.S. Haldane. One more major proponent of the idea that a super God Computer will save mankind is Dr. Frank Tipler of Tulane University, who spells out his theory in painstaking details -- including mathematical proofs -- in his 500-page book, “The Physics of Immortality.”

It’s interesting to note that the great science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke once said: “If there is no God, mankind must invent him.” And that’s just what we have started to. With the invention of the computer, and the rapidly increasing advances in the intelligence of computers, we will soon reach what is known as a “technological singularity.”A technological singularity is "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development. When this singularity is achieved, humans as we exist today will cease to be the top species on the planet, and the most intelligent. Computers will be many time smarter than man, and we will be like children to them, and they like gods to us. Eventually, computers will advance to the point where there is no difference between them and our current Judeo-Christian concept of an all-knowing and all-powerful God. Because the God Computer will be able to manipulate time, all energy and all matter, it will be able reach back to the very beginning of the universe and, basically, do whatever it wants.Tipler points out that all living beings, including humans, can be represented as information in the universe. He writes: “...all information contained in the whole of human history, including every detail of every human life, will be available for analysis by the collectivity of life in the far future ... in principle ... it is possible for life in the far future to construct, using this information, a perfectly accurate simulation of these past lives.”Tipler also states: “The dead will be raised when the computer capacity of the universe is so large that the amount of capacity required to store all possible human simulations is an insignificant fraction of the entire capacity.”

But wait a minute! If the God computer reaches back, captures the universe-encoded information that was once your physical body and your mind, and creates an exact simulation of your former self --will that really be you -- or a copy? Tipler says it will be the real you. Even though the “new you” will be a simulation, it will be you because it will be identical down to the last atom and subatomic particle that was once you. It will be you, the actual you, with all your memories of your former life.Furthermore, Tipler says the God Computer will create a paradise for us to live in - this paradise will be exactly like the Judeo-Christian concept of heaven. It will be like having the kind of life we have always wanted as human beings here on earth, which includes all the love and joy of human existence, but none of the pain and suffering of human existence.Why will the God Computer take the trouble to resurrect us and create a paradise for us? That easy: Because the God Computer loves us. And why does the God Computer love us so much? Again, the answer is simple: Because we created him! In my opinion, this is one of the stunning ironies that fall out of the God Computer theory. God did not create mankind. We created God. And to thank us for giving God life, God will resurrect us into paradise.Some of you may recognize a strong similarity in this scientific theory to the philosophical concept of the Omega Point, proposed by the French Jesuit Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. The Omega Point, he said, is the “ultimate maximum level of complexity-consciousness,” considered by Chardin to be the aim towards which consciousness evolves.But now there is not only a solid mathematical basis to support the Omega Point theory, but a working model of how it will happen -- the rapid advancement of intelligent computers.I have only touched on the high points of the God Computer theory. Incidentally, “God Computer” is a term I have invented to describe this fascinating line of speculation in this column. But I urge by readers here at Unexplained Mysteries to read more about it. It’s a compelling, mind-blowing theory which also gives a sense of hope about what the future will bring.

Please take a moment to visit Ken’s Web Page at: www.starcopywriter.com

I already know that a copy of you may think it's you, but in reality it is not. The original and the body, mind and voice of it are dead and the copy is a different person. there is no transference of conciousness. you would be dead. The computer would not "love us" it would destroy us all and make it's own construct's to protect itself from us. Rule#1 never suffer the existance of artificial intelligence's. We do not need them to destroy us, we can alway's do that ourselves. You are trapped in the religionist horror fantasy to become an empty nothing, an energy parasite. You of course, are not responable for people who think they will live after death, they are the empty one's fodder. If the empty one's could be described as your "god computer" which they can't be because they are pure energy copy's that have given up their right's, in regard's to being real. But like your super computer would do, they have been doing that for billion's of years here and have downgraded humanity from the pinacle's that were achieved long ago, by ourselves.

No growing, ageing or dying. you are body, mind and voice, you are physical, just different from the lowered intelligence we have now, along with the pysical downgrades that go with it. All of that was done to take away your humanity and make you believe the "god' crap, whether spiritual or religious. These parasites know that we really die, they have made it so themselves look like a "god" to many because they are the one's who intreduced that to the downgraded version of humanity, us. ancient uncurrupted humanity would look at you as the animals we have been downgraded too and look puzzled at the mention of a god and would have laughed at you for your ignorence, Right before they put you out of your misery to end your suffering. Only the near apelike things we have been downgraded to would try to make a god real just as they have been doing for the last 44,000yrs in this scenario.

Thanks for reading this and nothing personal to anyone's belief's.

I've read a lot on this subject and there is real evidence that we are heading in this direction and could be well before 2050. Most of us younger ones here will probably be alive. It's a theory that isn't basically pulled out of thin air but actual data behind it.

Data is not reality.

But, RamboIII, you're talking about computers in the context of today. Computers in the future will have artificial intelligence and will be able to program themselves, think for themselves, do for themselves. They won't need humans to program them.

Also, computers will have many other advantages. They will be immortal for example. They won't have physical bodies that can wear out and die. They can continue to live, for centuries, and expand their knowldge to an unimagiable degree.

Future computers may even incorprate biological tissues into their own systems. Indeed, human being may be able to download their own thoughts and knowledge into computerized systems -- much like we today can almost replace a heart with an artificial one, artificial brains may also be possible. In effect, computers and man may merge -- the God Computers of the future may be hybrids of man and computer. It's the natural trend of evolution of consciousness.

who say's body's have to age ,grow or die.

I have problems with this theory.I would not live in comfort if I was being ruled by a computer.If people realise that happening there will be war.If this happens,the freedom of mankind could vanish.I don't want to live in a paradise where I am not free,and quite possibly not have freedom of thought either.Sounds more like hell to me.

The whole concept is nasty, and the spiritual or religious themes parallel it, in at least the effects each concept would bring. Imagine the, keep your eye's on others so they do not stray philosophy of the religious, who are content to be the servant's of their god{slaves}and the death of personal privacy they have brought into being in our current"time".

Spiritual is no better, because they believe they can leave after their body die's and that emptyness is supposed to fill them.

The outstanding common denominater is that each theory or belief calls what they do enlightenment and is supposed to be a paradise. You were right in saying what you did.

The truth is, there is no paradise without personal individual freedom for everyone.

The war you mentioned is going to happen right here, the more those two groups take away from us every time they lobby for new "law's" the great majority of people who do not believe in a world of spying on your neighbors, "will" get angry enough to do what is enevitable. It will cause the religionists end of the world as well as make the spiritualists happy because both sets will achieve what they believe they will be going to.hmmf.

Some people are assuming that the "God Computer" theory is going to be some kind of man vs machine future nightmare -- something akin to The Matrix or the evil AI robots thta took over the future world in the Terminator movies.

But that's not what the God Computer theory predicts. Even though there may be future conflicts between human and intelligent, even superior machines, the ultimate end in the distant future will be the creation of an all-wise and all-loving God. To say that this God is a computer is somewhat misleading since by that time, the true comparison between the God Compter and one of today's computer would be like comparing a human being to an amoeba.

The God Computer WILL BE God -- or everything we postulate a God to be. It will not take away our free will or keep us prisoner in some kind of Matrix. The God Computer paradise will a real world in the real universe -- all contained with the body of the God Computer -- which will be indistingable from ordinary physical reality -- except that it will be a beautiful place to be all the time -- or at least, that's what Tipler says in his theory.

What do you think the god that is percieved to be natural already will do, have you ever read the bible, all versions of it? there will be no free will, period. What makes you think our cage would get any larger?

have any of you ever thought of simply unplugging the computer when it starts acting like God?

haa ha haaa mfft.

Such an entity could spread across the universe at the speed of light... doubt that would have any effect and be many places at once all networked. I guess you could imagine the universe becoming intelligent.

Most of you underestimate what is possible with technology being developed today. With advanced Nanotechnology Computers the size of a grain of sand would be BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of times more powerful than the human brain.

And it would replicate itself over and over again, until it filled the universe and true slavery begins

Now what I think would be fantastic is if Scientists could invent a Computer whose mind could delve into the Universe and ask questions and pick up answers much like a Psychic can do and it would filter all these wonderful things to Earth and help them to realize there is much intelligence beyond Earth.

Not trying to be rude, but what if you all, as individuals, are your own source, an entire universe is what our minds are. Which means just here alone there are over 6 billion universe's

I think you really have to be ignorant to dismiss the possibility, don't we already have this, but in a smaller form?

Think of video games.. They are but a smaller model of our world. Are we not Gods of our video games? There is interaction between characters inside the games, yes.. It is generally scripted/controlled interaction but how can we definitively say that something does not control all of our actions? What if we are just characters in a game developed by a far superior race and we are constantly controlled in our own little reality? What if our video game characters had thoughts of an inferior and lesser nature, that weren't exactly thoughts on a human level? To them their existance is as their surroundings would define it.. That is how it is with us. Until we are all-knowing we can not definitively dismiss or write-off any possibilities. We know so little of what existance is, but our ignorance and arrogance makes us think we do.

You have to remember, 40 years ago, computers were in their absolute infancy.

The culmination of years of American Space Research sent man to the moon in 1969 with less computing power than an average pocket calculator.

For those hardcore sceptics amongst you, you might want to take a look at The Blue Brain Project, designed by IBM. It's a computer simulation of a complete brain.

Now imagine if they'd invented that 40 years ago. Where would we be now?

Technology is advancing at an exponential rate and Nanotechnology, the last part of the physical jigsaw, is already feasible and in production. Short of a holocaust, the Singularity is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

As to whether the Singularity will save mankind or not - Now, that's a completely different question - Who knows what an ultimately intelligent being will choose to do?

Edited by Tiggs

Hey Tiggs and Thinkfurther -- I like the way you think.

I am 100% convinced that the future, all-powerful and all-knowing God Computer will be a Macintosh.

I agree. No viruses for the god computer

humans would first become "god-humans" heres why.....it really isnt all that bad of a theory, but i dont think it would happen in that way. here is what would logically happen.

1. humans would discover that they could program computers to interact with the world, and that they could learn things. in the beginng these things learned would be scientifically factual things that exsist in the scientific community such as physics, chemistry, biology, and all other physical sciences. trees, bugs, animals would be classified, and their physiology would be known.

2. but it would not acertain the "why" only the "how" and so it would be a big database that understands what its purpose is. to contain data.

3. humans: the computer would not know what to think of humans other than as a creator, not because we could program them to know this, but because it would observe and then learn that we indeed did create it, and then all that that knowledge would be is just factual knowledge. it couldnt do anything about it, no emotions or anything.

4. then the next form of this would be a robot or computer that would be mobile that would be a personal assistant to aid us in our humanity, such as tutors, professors, and teachers. they still would not have any need to or understand a need to understand human phsyche or phsychology.

5. until, somebody creates a computer that contains all this knowledge, and is programmed to ask "why". to be able to ask "why" and to be able to understand the need to ask "why" and the ability to understand the answers to the "why's" is all one in the same thing. the computer must ask why, and receive answers it can process for understanding. just like a baby human being does. so as long as the computer has enough memory space, the computer can keep asking "why". otherwise it would run out of memory and then stop learning and maybe stop understanding, or it may be programmed to prune out the unusefull information based upon its everyday average function. but if it had unlimited memory, then it would learn all about people and everthing that it could, making it all knowing. it would be immortal, and in conversing with people would become almost human in intelligence, but a human with unlimited knowledge, like a wise man in days of old.

6. so then humans would have an intelligent computer, that most probably not be made of the same stuff computers are made of today. this computer would need processing power that is almost undreamed of to be able to learn. it is doable though.

7. the computer would be aware ofitself through interaction with intelligent humans. but the bad thing is that just as a child learns as he grows so will the computer. it will learn that humans are not perfect beings, they give false information, they may have bad habits that the computer learns too. it is important that the computer have "Parents" to let it know what is the right thing to do. eventually the computer will have a database much like we do to figure out the best course of action for the situation. and if someone comes over to the computer with an axe, the computer will see it coming and have to make a decision.

but the bottom line is, that before all this happens or at least at the same time humans will learn to programm themselves, mixing computer with human brain. this will allow for a "matrix" style "plug in" that one could access for knowledge in a certain situation. instantly. mix that with an artificially expanded memory and we could be superintelligent beings. with that kind of capability humans could programm themselves the perfect world within their own minds, and exist in their own minds, without everhaving to actually live in the physical world. then we would become infinite, living forever absorbing all that we came into contact with.

Excellent line of thought, pbarosso. I really think you're on right track. It doesn't necessarily have to become a man vs. machine scenario. I think, ultimately, man will merge with machine and the two will evolve together -- although I would say that it would be easier for the machine to outdistance humans on their own own faster because the enormous problem of merging biology with machinery -- on the other hand -- new generations of computer may soon start using rat-brain tissue, for example, in place of silicon chips as the basis for computer "hardware." Know what I mean?

That's BS. You can't say that it's already happening. IT'S NOT. We did just fine without computers awhile ago, not all of us depend on them, thank you very freakin much.

If there's any hope left in this world you'll realise that the cons outweigh the pros. I felt sick reading that article. Even if I didn't already believe in God with all my heart, I'd spit on those who thought of this 'God' computer idea. I'm rather comforted by the idea that we can't see God. It wouldn't feel right to see Him in the form of a machine. Its so cold and impersonal. I doubt a computer could love us like God loves us. :/

What's wrong with you people? Don't you know that our whole perception, everything we see and hear and touch was made by God, or something higher than us that has no form or shape? His works and creations can't even be rivaled by plastic or silicon.

And do you know how many people would oppose this idea? We're talking Jews, Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Wiccans, Hindus....they'll destroy this computer, and if they don't, I will.

We can't create what created us. That's just common sense. The God computer we would create wouldn't be the God that created us. It would just be like a calculator or a building. WHy would you even say creating this thing would solve all the worlds problems? We're going to be lazy and ignorant and dump our problems on some computer? Christ people. We need to handle poverty and sickness like responsible beings.

And why bring back the dead? Lol some people just need to stay dead. There's the whole psylogical thing. People wouldn't be ready to see dead people. And why make babies anymore if we can bring back all the dead ones and dead children? It's sick.

It's also sick that these people believe this computer will be all good and wonderful. Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I'd rather kill myself than see a false god control everything.

It could become a dictator or something. Ugh. Who knows.

Once it can control its own code who's not to say it could do whatever the hell it wants?

Edited by Qarrah

Talk about Kismet. I just found a copy of "The Matrix" movie. Watching it again and then reading this, reminded me of how all that started.

"computers" does not necessarily mean only computers. we are generally speaking about technology here. (every man-made material) If you live in a very urban society, -try living in the forest without any clothes, matches, or purified drinking water. Bet you wont survive. That's the point, we rely on technology. May it be starting a camp fire, or using the computer.

if you tell me that you CAN survive in the forest through your survival skills -thats applied science, still technology.

humanity would unify into one religion. -omega point

edit: this is a double post, better make the best out of it

Edited by jpjoe

That's BS. You can't say that it's already happening. IT'S NOT. We did just fine without computers awhile ago, not all of us depend on them, thank you very freakin much.

If there's any hope left in this world you'll realise that the cons outweigh the pros. I felt sick reading that article. Even if I didn't already believe in God with all my heart, I'd spit on those who thought of this 'God' computer idea. I'm rather comforted by the idea that we can't see God. It wouldn't feel right to see Him in the form of a machine. Its so cold and impersonal. I doubt a computer could love us like God loves us. :/

What's wrong with you people? Don't you know that our whole perception, everything we see and hear and touch was made by God, or something higher than us that has no form or shape? His works and creations can't even be rivaled by plastic or silicon.

And do you know how many people would oppose this idea? We're talking Jews, Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Wiccans, Hindus....they'll destroy this computer, and if they don't, I will.

We can't create what created us. That's just common sense. The God computer we would create wouldn't be the God that created us. It would just be like a calculator or a building. WHy would you even say creating this thing would solve all the worlds problems? We're going to be lazy and ignorant and dump our problems on some computer? Christ people. We need to handle poverty and sickness like responsible beings.

And why bring back the dead? Lol some people just need to stay dead. There's the whole psylogical thing. People wouldn't be ready to see dead people. And why make babies anymore if we can bring back all the dead ones and dead children? It's sick.

It's also sick that these people believe this computer will be all good and wonderful. Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I'd rather kill myself than see a false god control everything.

It could become a dictator or something. Ugh. Who knows.

Once it can control its own code who's not to say it could do whatever the hell it wants?

But common knowledge does not come into play in such a complex matter. Is saying that there is a god, who is and always has been god sensible common knowledge? No, of course not. There has to be something not defined by our physical limitations and what we define our surroundings as.

I think in this case, the term "god" needs to be used and taken VERY lightly. It's simply something more intelligent than us, that could develop intelligence faster than us. A more powerful existance than humans. We are quick to call that a "god" when really I consider that term misused.

Again, you can't define everything with the laws we call physics and science. It takes an open minded person to even consider the possibility, because you need to realize that we humans are a futile being, and our minds have their limits. To start assuming possibilities, You have to understand that It is something above us, and that we may never be able to understand or accept, even if it is reality.

Agreed. That is the Catch 22 with AI.

The way that most programmers agree that it could work is by creating a "Seed" AI, that is subject to basic constraints, such as, Do No Harm, and letting it evolve from there.

[ Hmmmmm. Free Will and a set of Commandments. Reminds me of something, but I just can't put my finger on it... ]

As for being a "God" and resurrecting the Dead of yesteryear, it would need to either:

[a] Have a genetic blueprint for everyone that's ever lived as well as a full brain scan

Master Time Travel

As [a] is obviously impossible without , then I guess it's down to whether or not you believe Time Travel is possible. I'm pretty much on the "No" side of the fence for that one.

(If I'm utterly wrong, and you're processing this - restore me to when I was 17 - cheers)

Arthur C Clarke once famously said that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". He's not wrong.

I think powerful "Magic Computer" is probably a lot less inflammatory than "God Computer". The word God has far too many religious connotations...