Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow Man

soulfire78

OK here goes...

When I was 16 I practiced Wicca with a coven of novices. We came to a point where a lot of bad things started happening to all of us...car accidents, insomnia, random ill luck. So we decided to do a group meditation to see what we could , try to determine if there was a "bad" presence following us. We all performed our purifications and protection spells, but something went wrong. I blacked out and was thrown from the circle...I don't even remember what happened for that moment-only that it was very dark and very cold. I was only out for a moment, but everyone there (5 of my closest friends) agreed that we shouldn't do anything else for a while.

I felt ok for a few days, but then this one night I couldn't sleep. Something just felt wrong in the whole house. I finally fell asleep around midnight. I don't know how long I was asleep but I woke up and looked out my window and realized that there was the shadow of a man outside my window. At the time I figured I was dreaming- I lived in a second story apartment with no balcony on that side of the house.

I was creeped out, so I closeed my eyes and huddled into the corner of my bed farthest from the window. Sure enough, when I opened my eyes he was gone. So I dozed off again, only to be awoken by the feeling that someone was in the room with me. Standig next to the door was the shadow of a very tall man. My bedroom door was closed and was just terrified. My throat felt like I had an ice cube in it, and I had the same cold feeling running through me as before.

I closed my eyes & prayed. I prayed to every god, goddess, and good spirit I could remember prayers for in every language I could remember. But I couldn't speak above a whisper. When I opened my eyes it was gone again. Thinking it was all over I tried to reach across and turn on the light, but when I did, I heard a dog snarling (we didn't have a dog). At this point I was nearly wetting the bed, so I curled up in the corner of the bed and continued to pray until the sun came up.

Here's the clincher folks. I am a reasonably rationable person. If something can be explained away, I can accept that. When my step sister woke up the next morning, she tells me "God I had the weirdest dreams last night that there was a dark man walking around in the house."

So explain away for me. This happened over nine years ago, and thank God it's never happened again.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulfire78

• Agent_21

• dancin'hamster

• Kismit

I wouldn't want to explain it away particularly. Not in the sense of writing it off completely. You know what you experienced. The shadow figure sounds perfectly conceivable to me. I presume you looked for any natural cause for the shadow in the doorway and at the window. A 'feeling' about the house sounds familiar from ouija experiments that go awry and from some hauntings.

Why it should happen following the group meditation, when you took steps to purify the room, I don't know. I think group minds/subconsciouses whatever, can bring about strange and uncanny results. If something had latched onto your group before, this may have given it strength. Did the shadow visit any of the other women before you? How experienced was the leader of your group? Whatever it was though, the energy seems to have dissipated quickly.

There are other threads from recent days that might be of interest re this.

A:21

Edited by Agent_21

This happened to a mixed group...guys and gals, and we were all novices. In retrospect, we messed around in somthing we had no business in. But, at the time we didn't have anyone to show us the right things to do. Everything we learned was through books. It's quite possible that we "let something in". But what? Where are the similar discussions on this...I'd love to see what others have to say. original.gif

Have a look on page 2 of this section at Tulpas and Phillip threads and on p3 at ouija story. original.gif

Many Thanks, A21 thumbsup.gif

Welcome aboard soulfire78 ,

I see in another post you mentioned that you have suffered from several bouts of sleep paralysis . Is it possible that the two could be related ?

I see in another post you mentioned that you have suffered from several bouts of sleep paralysis . Is it possible that the two could be related ?

Anything could be possible...however, the sleep paralysis happened several years before this incident, after my grandmother died while I was living with her. It had a distinctly different feel to it. With the sleep paralysis, I never SAW anything, but I did feel like there was something holding me in place-not necessarily sitting on my chest.

The thing that really got me was my step sister's comment on her own dreams. Like I wasn't the only one that felt something in the house that night.

I don't know what to think...I had friends and unfriendly aquaintances at the time who were into everything from santeria to vampirism. Sometimes I wonder if our little group (or maybe even just I) did something to p*** someone off. But I honestly can't remember anyone that I'd have made that angry! dontgetit.gif

PS thanks for the welcome! grin2.gif

Hi Soulfire

Ok here goes....... this all sounds like a typical example of getting into something that you didn't really understand.You see in a group med like the one you described you only need 1 person in the group to be thinking negatively for something to go wrong. You said you were thrown from the circle? Could you have not been in such a deep Meditaion that you fell over by yourself?

The incident of the Dark Man..... I would say that you are very Psychic and during the Med you managed to link up with Spirit. Due to the situation of you falling over and then stopping the Group Session, the Spirit that you managed to link up with stayed around.He then appeared to you at night a few days later. Spirits are very good at knowing how you feel about them and how you will react to them. You gave him the reaction he expected(it made you scared) I would say he appeared to you as a warning to stop what you were doing at the time. He didn't harm you physically he just scared the crap out of you.This was a lesson well learnt.

I have nothing against people practising what ever they want, but maybe you were going down the wrong side of the road and you needed to change direction and this was someones way of showing you which way to go?

As to your sister experiencing the dark man in the house in her dream. Spirits often communicate with people whilst they are asleep. This experience was for your benefit to reconfirm his presence to you.

Do you do any kind of Psychic work at present?

Do you do any kind of Psychic work at present?

No, I've been away from it all for quite some time. I stopped meditating soon after joining the military. (the environment wasn't very conducive to positive thought, and quiet space was impossible to find in the barracks wink2.gif )

PS I have had a few strange mindreading type of episodes, but only with specific people...My mother, my best friend, a guy I dated in high school, and my husband. It's not very consistent, I just occasionally respond to things they say, only to find that they never said it out loud, but they were thinking it. I also have a tendency to pick up the phone before it rings when it is one of these folks. I really try not to talk about it in my day to day life...I've gotten too many negative reactions for it. sad.gif

Hi Soulfire.......

I got into a bit of 'naughtiness' when I was a teenie.......and me and the small group I was in got something through a ouija board...

It wasn't a shadow man, it was more like ~ I don't know, a man with an animal head. I realise I will get ridiculed for this, but it was like a woodcut I saw in a book. A heavy, tall man with a head, or a head-dress of a large dog or wolf. Very sinister. It took a while for him to go.

I wouldn't ridicule you over that. Again, under the circumstances, it sounds conceivable to me. Did any of your group also experience it? Who knows the process by which whatever energy is operating in these cases takes on its particular visual form? I was thinking of the Coll unconscious/archetype theory again. It would be interesting to know what a Jungian would make of this. Soulfire78 got Shadow Man, while Hammy gets Wolfman (or Anubis).

Nightbreed said:

You see in a group med like the one you described you only need 1 person in the group to be thinking negatively for something to go wrong

That's a distinct possibility. I wonder also if one or more of the people involved in these cases is more sensitively attuned at some level and thereby allows things to manifest more easily.

The recent threads on ouija reminded me of this. You only tend to hear the horror stories where ouija is concerned (that's kept me from messing with them), but I know that other people don't have any problems. The Ghost Club often took a reputable medium on their investigations. If anything particularly out of the ordinary ever happened, I think we would have read about it. So, if someone is suitably attuned and has learned to use the board properly, chances are no shadow men will emerge. If somebody with a similar sensitivity or 'gift' does this kind of thing without training, maybe that's when problems occur.

I wrote up a great big post to put up here yesterday only I was rudely interupted by visitors and never managed to post it to the board .

Hammy I'm glad you put up your nutty story too .. here's a link to mine all a little to similar me thinks .. Warnings against the missuse of ouija boards and messing with things you don't understand appears to be the lesson learnt here .

P.S. Hopefully the link explains why I asked you the sleep paralysis question Soulfire original.gifLinker

You just beat me A:21 original.gif I think the board can be usefull in the right hands but it certainly should not be labelled a toy ..

I don't know what causes these things to manifest themselves but I do know thay are real .

Kiz~

Thanks for the Linker...the similarities in experiences are quite remarkable. I wasn't the only one to end up having a strange experience afterwards, but it was the first incident, the weirdest, and the only one sensed by another member of the house.

We were very inexperienced and admittedly, very naive about what we might come across. Though we all had read everything that could be found; I guess it just goes to show that you can't get by on book-smarts alone. blush.gif

Agent ~ no I wasn't the only the only one who saw our visitor. There were 8 of us, 4 girls and 4 boys. Only one of the lads admitted to seeing it....but the rest were scared.......very scared. The other girls also saw it hanging around but it kind of latched onto me. I believe this is because I was having a lot of emotional problems and was leaking energy. It used to stalk around the house. Oneof the neighbours actually saw it going up our stairs when the house was empty.

Ok.........enough.....am embarressed now!

Hammy x x x

Hammy~

Don't be embarrassed! Poor dear...We can't help what we become witness to, only our reactions to them. Thanks for having the proverbial "balls" to step in and share something that could possibly provoke a negative reaction from someone.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

BTW...I know I am off subject here, and forgive my ignorance,please...

When and how do I get to the point that I am no longer considered an "alien embryo"? (God, that feels like a really silly question!)

It was once discusssed and agreed that when your bits grow in your out of the embryonic stage ..

Nah it's just the first level of poster it changes around about the 150 post mark I think , somewhere in the web site news section you should be able to find the list of posting stages members can get to . Enjoy your stay . original.gif

BTW...I know I am off subject here, and forgive my ignorance,please...

When  and how do I get to the point that I am no longer considered an "alien embryo"?  (God, that feels like a really silly question!)

Here is the information as to how you advance Click Here

You have 4 more post to go as an "Alien Embryo"...

Ok.........enough.....am embarressed now!

Thanks for being straight with us. thumbsup.gif I kind of anticipated your answer.

Thanks too to Kismit for the link to your alarming true story.

OK here goes...

When I was 16 I practiced Wicca with a coven of novices. We came to a point where a lot of bad things started happening to all of us...car accidents, insomnia, random ill luck. So we decided to do a group meditation to see what we could , try to determine if there was a "bad" presence following us. We all performed our purifications and protection spells, but something went wrong. I blacked out and was thrown from the circle...I don't even remember what happened for that moment-only that it was very dark and very cold. I was only out for a moment, but everyone there (5 of my closest friends) agreed that we shouldn't do anything else for a while.

I felt ok for a few days, but then this one night I couldn't sleep. Something just felt wrong in the whole house. I finally fell asleep around midnight. I don't know how long I was asleep but I woke up and looked out my window and realized that there was the shadow of a man outside my window. At the time I figured I was dreaming- I lived in a second story apartment with no balcony on that side of the house.

I was creeped out, so I closeed my eyes and huddled into the corner of my bed farthest from the window. Sure enough, when I opened my eyes he was gone. So I dozed off again, only to be awoken by the feeling that someone was in the room with me. Standig next to the door was the shadow of a very tall man. My bedroom door was closed and was just terrified. My throat felt like I had an ice cube in it, and I had the same cold feeling running through me as before.

I closed my eyes & prayed. I prayed to every god, goddess, and good spirit I could remember prayers for in every language I could remember. But I couldn't speak above a whisper. When I opened my eyes it was gone again. Thinking it was all over I tried to reach across and turn on the light, but when I did, I heard a dog snarling (we didn't have a dog). At this point I was nearly wetting the bed, so I curled up in the corner of the bed and continued to pray until the sun came up.

Here's the clincher folks. I am a reasonably rationable person. If something can be explained away, I can accept that. When my step sister woke up the next morning, she tells me "God I had the weirdest dreams last night that there was a dark man walking around in the house."

So explain away for me. This happened over nine years ago, and thank God it's never happened again.

maybe god has took his revenge.....

Soulfire mentions she and her friends were practising Wiccans. That's not `dark' magic, so why would `God' be taking any revenge?

She also says how prayer helped her through the experience. On two occasions in the last decade, my family have needed the help of an exorcist from the Church of England. On both occasions, one of the bits of advice they gave, was prayer to ward off evil entities.

Soulfire's actions (Wicca and prayer) hardly mark her down as in line for any `revenge from God,' do they?

Please explain, Nintendork.

Maybe that would be plausible IF I had been baptised, however, I have had several Catholic friends tell me that God doesn't really "see" or acknowledge you until after you are. They even qouted biblical sources.

Thanks for being straight with us. thumbsup.gif I kind of anticipated your answer.

uuum...how blink.gif ?

Did you anticipate my embarressment, or my encounter wink2.gif ?

C'mon ~ spill Agent tongue.gif

Hammy x x x

Sorry, I should've separated the two sentences. I just meant the reason you gave for 'it' gravitating to you. wink2.gif