Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wont you be my neighbor

Imaginary Friend

The Reverend Frederick McFeely Rogers (March 20, 1928 – February 27, 2003 RIP), appeared before a Senate committee to discuss funding for the newly developed PBS broadcast network (Public Broadcasting Service), Mr.Rogers was speaking on behalf of funding for the program, for the children's sake.

Fred died in 2003 at the age of 74 and yet, the legacy of his experience in child development and the influence he had on quality children's programming, in this video clip, is a hearkening back to a day when it was thought that the spirit of a child should be nurtured, not confused with senseless, mindless violence programming.

The spirit of the christ, that which is said attends the christian philosophy as the embodiment of community, compassion, peace and tolerance, is what was very much alive in the presence of this Reverend, as one will see at the beginning of his presentation to the Senate. One Senator is quite cantankerous at first; "Would you feel better if you read it?" he asked sarcastically of Mr. Rogers. Speaking to the 10 minute presentation Fred had said he had prepared but for brevity, would not read before the committee.

The gentleness, the sincere spirit of a man dedicated to the spirit of the children, is so evident in this video that once can feel it as if it were broadcast just yesterday, rather than nearly 4 decades ago.

You know how it is said in the end times the lion shall lay down with the lamb? In this case, Fred proved that can be done. With a gentleness and dedication to eradicating any measure of violence, peace can overcome. Link

Bless you Fred Rogers for the lives you influenced and the legacy you left behind. For the Children that grew into better adults, because you cared about their spirits in safe keeping. :wub:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Imaginary Friend

• Jodie.Lynne

• Otacon

• artymoon

Top Posters In This Topic

a little behind the times there, huh IF?

Seeing as how he died 3 years a go........

a little behind the times there, huh IF?

Seeing as how he died 3 years a go........

:lol: What a fool.

I posted it! What? You imagine I wasn't aware of his death, given I posted RIP after the date of his passing!?

The message was what is important, not the timeline from which it was delivered.

Everytime I come home and take off my work shoes, and then put on my lounging slippers...I think of Mr. Rogers. He was such an inspiration in the proper changing of shoes. :lol: JK

Every kid watched him, I went through that phase. He was definitely a peaceful and patient person, a kind soul.

:) When I happen to turn on the Tv, which isn't often if I can help it, I'll stop for a moment and watch , if I happen upon Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, while channel surfing. When I was a child my favorite character was the Owl. And the Trolly was always that cue to inspire a thrill at being taken into another world where animals talked and magic played.

In that link he talks about when he first began a children's television program and having a budget of $30 dollars. Fred Rogers made all of the puppets on his show, gave them all their voices and wrote the music and dialog. Then he had the opportunity years later to address a Senate committee that was considering funding for a public broadcasting service, wherein the community could lend input into their children's programming (pun yes I know. ;) ) , and he convinced that committee to give them a 20$ million dollar starting chance. That was in the 60's, and to this day Mr. Rogers neighborhood is broadcast world wide, providing an example to kids that they do matter, that their feelings are valid and that the world is a better place with them in it.

That's a legacy that never grows old and dies away. Instead it remains as an example and a beacon I think, to a kinder and gentler time, that can be re-invigorated if parents control the television and media influences on their children, in an age where kids are so inundated with materials that desensitize their empathy, as they grow into being that future that will take care of us when we are old.

Edited by Imaginary Friend

Mr. Rogers- The Reverend Frederick McFeely Rogers

and

Mr. Dressup - Ernie Combs

were kind souls as Arty states, and were people who personally helped raise and teach me through TV. Nowadays all the shows teach nothing IMO and are GARBAGE: Pokemon, digimon...etc. Wher has all the good ones gone :(.

RIP RIP. they will be missed.... nice post.

Seasons fade and roses die but Legends Live Forever.

Loved Mr. Roger's trolley!

Off topic for a sec LOL

I>Friend...my partner was looking over my shoulder today while I was reading one of your posts and he burst out laughing....when I asked him what was so funny...he said look at her acvatar it is fantastic LOL he loved it..it was the pope one :lol: I thought it was good too

:tu:user posted image Save him to your image files. It's wild how much they look alike, no? :P

(wanders off to change her Av. back to popeness with 'tude. :lol: )

I'm not sure if this is really true or not but isn't he a veteran as well? If I'm not mistaken I remember reading somewhere that he fought in the Vietnam war....

I'll have to do some research on this...

Hey guys, I found this on Wikipedia:

Fred Rogers has been the subject of a few urban legends, among them, ideas that he served in the military around the era of the Vietnam war; was a sniper; or was a Navy Seal. Rumors to this effect are discounted as false on urban legend verification websites[1]. Not only is military service not mentioned in any biographies on him, but there wasn't a period of time, unaccounted for, where he could have been involved in such. During most of the Vietnam conflict, he was fully dedicated to his television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and before that, around the start of Vietnam, he was working on getting rights for his show and moving it to Pittsburgh.

The rest of it is here, but this is only the part on the urban legends about his military service....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Rogers#Urban_Legends

Mr.Rogers wasn't responsible for the urban legends that sprang to life in his name. :no:

He worked and lived in the Pittsburgh area most of his life and was an ordained presbyterian minister. He was never in the military, but rather began his career by entering Dartmouth College at the age of 18. (another biography link)

OFF TOPIC: I second BM's earlier post: My wife saw "Pope Palintine" and cracked up for 10 minutes. Tears were rolling down her face.

:D

:tu:user posted image Save him to your image files. It's wild how much they look alike, no? :P

(wanders off to change her Av. back to popeness with 'tude. :lol: )

"Gooooood I can feel your anger. Now you will join the dark side."

:lol: His real first name is Joseph.

"Joooooe, I am your real father" user posted image

user posted image