Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beer Ingredient May Fight Prostate Cancer

Nxt2Hvn

As some of us that have been keeping up with the "Milk" thread... you have noticed that a small debate on the good and bad of drinking alcohol was brought up... I have found a news release on a new study on drinking beer... (let's keep it civil people) :tu:

Beer Ingredient May Fight Prostate Cancer

Jun 12, 7:50 AM (ET)

CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) - A main ingredient in beer may help prevent prostate cancer and enlargement, according to a new study. But researchers say don't rush out to stock the refrigerator because the ingredient is present in such small amounts that a person would have to drink more than 17 beers to benefit.

Oregon State University researchers say the compound xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a specific protein in the cells along the surface of the prostate gland.

The protein acts like a signal switch that turns on a variety of animal and human cancers, including prostate cancer.

Cancer typically results from uncontrolled cell reproduction and growth. Xanthohumol belongs to a group of plant compounds called flavonoids, which can trigger the programmed cell death that controls growth, researchers say.

Xanthohumol was first discovered in hops in 1913, but its health effects were not known until about 10 years ago, when it was first studied by Fred Stevens, assistant professor of medicinal chemistry at OSU's College of Pharmacy.

Last fall, Stevens published an update on xanthohumol in the journal Phytochemistry that drew international attention.

Stevens says it possible for drug companies to develop pills containing concentrated doses of the flavonoid found in the hops used to brew beer.

He also says researchers could work to increase the xanthohumol content of hops.

There are already a number of food supplements on the market containing hops, and scientists in Germany have developed a beer that contains 10 times the amount of xanthohumol as traditional brews. The drink is being marketed as a healthy beer, but research is still under way to determine if it has any effect against cancer.

The latest Oregon State University research was published in a recent issue of Cancer Letters.

Source/Link

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• hyperactive

• Sherapy

• Megalomania

Darn it ...why dont I like the taste of beer...damn damn damn.....ohhh welll :unsure2:

Thats good news for me I'm a typical Canadian eh, love da beers in the summer and da winter , ok I like my beer and wow, to bad there is that whole in moderation thing to worry about errrrrrrr

there's so many flavors of beers, unless you just don't like alcohol, or have a reaction to what's in beer... there should be a flavor out there for everyone.

Course I consider all lagers, ales, pilsners, etc... to all be beer, others disagree... :)

there's so many flavors of beers, unless you just don't like alcohol, or have a reaction to what's in beer... there should be a flavor out there for everyone.

Course I consider all lagers, ales, pilsners, etc... to all be beer, others disagree... :)

BM loves alchol really LOL but no matter what beer I have tried I hate the taste of it...aww shucks!!!! no fair aaaaaakkkkk user posted image

Xanthohumal, falls wihtin the range of compounds called Xanthones, it was originally detected in an extract from hops(humulus lupulus) found to be present in beer, But one would have to drink 120 gallons of beer per day too have any significant effect, because minute quanitiys are in hops....until the discovery of the Ashataba plant , it had no safe, practical use.......

this is the typical 'propaganda ' study that not only is dessigned to sell alcohol but the interesting thing is how many just take it on fact...so many things are marketed this way and health is a wholeness idea..buying intot the idea that health is in a pill or a alcoholic beverage gee who benefits from this????? Understanding this you get real quick the study is absurd and who its put out by is equally absurd...

Edited by Sheri berri

its not just Beer that is meant to be good...a lot of doctors will tell you to drink a glass of red wine each day :yes:

its not just Beer that is meant to be good...a lot of doctors will tell you to drink a glass of red wine each day :yes:

I know i have heard of those studys, but they also said cigarettes were good for you at one point in history too, i was actually told by a doctor that ciggs wouldn't hurt anything if you can bleeive that :no::rolleyes: ......I'm very leery of those studys the dangers associated with alcohol is quite a bit as of late more and more is coming out about the negative effects of alcohol....In the states alcohol is marketed very interestingly, for one it targets lower incomes , its the one way you can 'feel good about your lot in life" You can't possibly have a good time without alcohol most holidays are centralized around drinking..

Frog posted a bunch of links about the benefits of wine i don't beleive it the back of the alcohol bottle clearly warns of the risks of drinking, its on every alcohol sold here...i don't know about your country...but if it will cause birth defects in an infant and I'm nursing my child and what i get he gets I would never trust a study or any doctor telling me beer is good for the breast milk and they do :rolleyes: .....today someone ws telling me that his old girlfriend did all kinds of drugs pregnant drank blah blah her son is just fine he says, i know this kid he has ADHD so bad no one can deal wiht him his life is doctors and meds...I said i wouldn't call this kid normal and unaffected by the things she did pregnant.... :rolleyes:

if one looks hard enough, some "good" can be found in anything.

that said, take a look at the following article. I am posting only one for sake of brevity. The results have been repeated in many studies. Note what I have bolded.

Study Shows Beer Has Same Benefits As Red Wine Sep 14th, 2004

Beer drinkers can toast the news that their favourite beverage possesses the same benefits as red wine, the alcohol long celebrated for its antioxidant properties.

Researchers at The University of Western Ontario have found one drink of beer or wine provides equivalent increases in plasma antioxidant activity, which helps prevent the oxidization of blood plasma by toxic free radicals that trigger many aging diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and cataracts.

Biochemistry and kinesiology professor John Trevithick, one of the lead researchers and a long-time expert on the role of antioxidants in human health, says, "We were very surprised one drink of beer or stout contributed an equal amount of antioxidant benefit as wine, especially since red wine contains about 20 times the amount of polyphenols as beer."

Polyphenols are the compounds in plants that help prevent UV damage from the sun and make the plant cell wall strong. They are believed to have antioxidant benefits when consumed by the human body. Even though red wine contains more polyphenols than beer, this study showed the body absorbs about equally effective amounts of bioactive molecules such as polyphenols from beer and wine. Beer, wine, stout, and matured spirits (rum, whisky, sherry and port), which extract tannins from the oak casks they are matured or stored in, all contain significant amounts of polyphenols.

While studies have shown one daily drink of almost any alcoholic beverage can help reduce the risk of many aging diseases, Trevithick cautions larger daily intakes (three drinks per day) actually increase the risk of these diseases. His study suggests the risk is increased because three drinks result in the blood becoming pro-oxidant. This phenomenon is known as "hormesis", the concept that small doses of a toxic substance can have beneficial effects while a large amount is harmful

The study will be published in the journal Nonlinearity in Biology, Toxicology and Medicine this December. Trevithick is cross-appointed in the School of Kinesiology in the Faculty of Health Sciences and in the Schulich School of Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.

http://communications.uwo.ca/media_newsroo...isting_id=14653

as I mentioned in the other thread, the issue is identifying the therapeudic-toxic threshold.

Edited by hyperactive

Interesting Hyper, antioxidant benefits hmmm....I wanted to add that I wonder how much your overall health figures in with the study hmmm ??? I'd think that one of exemplary health may not have a issue with one 5 ounces of wine but what about the person on medications and not good health to begin with... anyhoo I found this to add to your article ...

What is a drink?

• 12 ounces of regular beer (150 calories)

• 5 ounces of wine (100 calories)

• 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits (100 calories)

(This limit is based on differences between the sexes in both weight and metabolism. Beer ranges considerably in its alcohol content, with malt liquor being higher in its alcohol content than most other brewed beverages...

Personally i would hope to opt out on the alcohol as any sort of health measure..... :D

On the OP it seems you need to consume 120 gallons of beer a day to reap the benefits... :rofl:

Edited by Sheri berri

no doubt sheri,

for any therapeudic property found in acoholic beverages there is a better source to be found elsewhere.

the question is, will people use a study to justify their drinking habits, or will society study drinks and drinking habits to determine their effects? (both) People drink, so it is prudent to research the effects. People smoke so it is prudent to research the effects. People drink milk so it is prudent to research the effects.

no doubt sheri,

for any therapeudic property found in acoholic beverages there is a better source to be found elsewhere.

the question is, will people use a study to justify their drinking habits, or will society study drinks and drinking habits to determine their effects? (both) People drink, so it is prudent to research the effects. People smoke so it is prudent to research the effects. People drink milk so it is prudent to research the effects.

I agree, I would of liked to of seen those added alternatives to getting antioxidants (blueberries) or having a healthy heart by exercising and limiting to not eating animal at all or why are't we centered around doing things that benefit the health...why is alcohol the staple of happiness and good times..why are cigarettes touted as a great way to relieve stress? I have alot of concern for the kids alot of teens use alcohol...sad to say but many will use these studys to drink more.......

Darn it ...why dont I like the taste of beer...damn damn damn.....ohhh welll :unsure2:

I don't think anybody likes the taste of it at first, you have to drink it a awhile to gain a taste for it. But on the subject that is great, I always thought it should be a good thing to drink :yes:

Sheri, stop spreading your propaganda. You never post any evidence at ALL. Unlike others here, you have no credibility to your claims.

The pros of a glass of wine or beer a day are greatly significant to the cons.

sherri beer is one of the brest substutes to water in times of hardship its sterile because the yeast lkills other bacteria and fungi and can stay good for a very long time. red wine actualy increases red blood cell count and has anti oxidents. yes if u drink like a moron u will damage ur body but a single glass of red wine is fine.

Sheri, stop spreading your propaganda. You never post any evidence at ALL. Unlike others here, you have no credibility to your claims.

The pros of a glass of wine or beer a day are greatly significant to the cons.

So you have heard that too?? that a glass of red wine a day is good for you?? See I KNEW I was right LOL

Frog again you are in error, i start alot of these threads and am one of the major contributors, along with hyper and micheal and scratch and avinash and celum ........anyone can read you may not care for my info but I post plenty of it lol.....maybe your not reading it... You can check out anything and it will check out I rarely use goggle much of my knowledge is aquired knowledge......

I have nothing to prove you either get something from my posts or you don't I have no p reference in the matter...lol

IMO alcohol is more harmful than it is good for you and there are kids that come on here i personally excersise great care in what i do and don't advocate.....this is a family forum......

i don't find goggle to be a good source for the most part....

Edited by Sheri berri

Xanthohumal, falls wihtin the range of compounds called Xanthones, it was originally detected in an extract from hops(humulus lupulus) found to be present in beer, But one would have to drink 120 gallons of beer per day too have any significant effect, because minute quanitiys are in hops....until the discovery of the Ashataba plant , it had no safe, practical use.......

this is the typical 'propaganda ' study that not only is dessigned to sell alcohol but the interesting thing is how many just take it on fact...so many things are marketed this way and health is a wholeness idea..buying intot the idea that health is in a pill or a alcoholic beverage gee who benefits from this????? Understanding this you get real quick the study is absurd and who its put out by is equally absurd...Hvn unless you were just showing how some studys are just laughable....... :D

Well, Sheri it's against the rules for posting infomation without the source by passing it off as your own. :yes:

Unless of course... You are the owner of this site that mimics your words: Link

Go enjoy your beer people! :tu:

Edited by __Kratos__

sherri beer is one of the brest substutes to water in times of hardship its sterile because the yeast lkills other bacteria and fungi and can stay good for a very long time. red wine actualy increases red blood cell count and has anti oxidents. yes if u drink like a moron u will damage ur body but a single glass of red wine is fine.

Robbie i actually find this post interesting, I be interested in hearing abit more , and i wqas just gonna call it a day on this topic but my curiousity is piqued I'll look into these claims abit deeper increases red blood cell count...hmmm.

this is the typical 'propaganda ' study that not only is dessigned to sell alcohol but the interesting thing is how many just take it on fact...

I wouldn't badmouth propaganda... you're always using it :blink:;)

Also, good for beer.

Milk has actually been found to reduce bowel cancer.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=10420

Now I can protect my dowstairs, and my butt!

Well, when I'm 16 anyway

Edited by Megalomania

Well, Sheri it's against the rules for posting infomation without the source by passing it off as your own. :yes:

Unless of course... You are the owner of this site that mimics your words: Link

Go enjoy your beer people! :tu:

Nice try kratos....but it won't work .......

Edited by Sheri berri

Nice try kratos....but it won't work .......

Won't work? I was just pointing out you are a plagiarizer. I also posted the link to show it. You go on and on about propaganda when you get your own stuff from that site. I mean, is every bloody study in the world that goes against you wrong just for simply going against your thoughts?

Won't work? I was just pointing out you are a plagiarizer. I also posted the link to show it. You go on and on about propaganda when you get your own stuff from that site. I mean, is every bloody study in the world that goes against you wrong just for simply going against your thoughts?

Kratos use care accusing, I have no idea on the site you are talking of.....

Look drink beer , drink milk, eat meat sniff glue if thats what makes you happy...Its not personal nor does it matter what you do or don't do as far as I'm concerned,,,Look i have drank, ate meat, smoked too, i didn't really look into things either of course i tended towards only taking on the beleifs that worked for me who doesn't....but i began to look into things and realized that there is so much we just trust and most get there 'nutrition info off of commercials i was one too once....I'm now looking into things deeper....Its just info you decide what and if it means anything to you.....I post on health....many things don't fall under my umbrella lol.....

Edited by Sheri berri

Kratos use care accusing, I have no idea on the site you are talking of.....

Actually... I posted the proof and here it is again. :tu:

Your post:

That site:

Xanthohumol, is a prenylated chalcone, also a prenylflavonoid, and falls within the range of compounds called Xanthones (one of the primary compounds in St. Johns Wort). Xanthohumol was initially detected in an extract(series of Humulones) from Hops (Humulus lupulus), and is present in beer, although one would have to drink 120 gallons of beer per day to have any significant biological effect. Only comparatively minute quantities of xanthohumol are available in hops. The different flavonoid compounds in hops have been shown to have many medical benefits. Xanthohumol didn't have a real, practical, safe source until the discovery of the Ashataba plant.

Source

It's the site that came up when I googled "xanthohumol". Very very very curious it is nearly perfect to your own words, Sheri Berri. :no:

Actually... I posted the proof and here it is again. :tu:

Your post:

That site:

Source

It's the site that came up when I googled "xanthohumol". Very very very curious it is nearly perfect to your own words, Sheri Berri. :no:

kratos I posted my understanding of xanthohumol......I used my college library as reference.........possibly this is a general definition....Goggle isn't he only source of info kratos....

Edited by Sheri berri