Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Climate Change

zarvirus

Climate change is the most severe problem that we are facing today, more serious even than the threat of terrorism...

:::The World View of Global Warming project is documenting this change through science photography from the Arctic to Antarctica, from glaciers to the oceans, across all climate zones. Rapid climate change and its effects is fast becoming one of the prime events of the 21st century. It is real and it is accelerating across the globe. As the effects of this change combine with overpopulation and weather crises, climate disruptions will affect more people than does war.

The 2005 average global temperature equaled (within several hundredths of a degree) the record warm year of 1998, according to meteorologists. 2002-4 were nearly as warm, and the 11 warmest years on record have all occurred since 1990. In response, our planet has been changing with warming winds and rising seas. At the poles and in mountains, ice is under fire and glaciers are receding. Down into the temperate zone, change is rearranging the boundaries of life. The plants and animals with whom we share the planet are adapting and moving -- some even going extinct -- because they have no choice.

We six billion humans are being affected, too. Coastal towns are suffering from rising sea level, storms are getting stronger and 35,000 people died in European heat waves in 2003. However, we have choices to make to help correct and ameliorate global warming. This is a story of frightening scale and and great urgency that is just beginning to be told:::

Original autor of this article: Gary Braasch

World View of Global Warming

THE PHOTOGRAPHIC DOCUMENTATION OF CLIMATE CHANGE

Copyright © 2006

10 MYTHS about Global Warming

Don't believe these commonly heard statements:

* It isn't really happening (documented science overwhelmingly shows temperatures rising rapidly)

* It's natural (temperature increases, especially since the 1970's, are far above natural variations)

* Any effects well be very gradual (not only are severe storms getting stronger, but climate history shows sharp climate changes can occur abruptly, in only a few years)

* It does not affect the U.S. (the U.S. is experiencing rising sea levels, more severe storms and droughts, die-off of forests, altered animal migrations, and loss of glaciers such as those in Glacier National Park)

* It will be good for us (some areas may become more pleasantly warm, but the cost of negative effects will far outweigh any benefits; disease and heat deaths are increasing)

* Agriculture will benefit (CO2 may make some crops grow faster, but also will accelerate weeds, pests and droughts; crops may not grow well where they once did as climate zones shift.)

* It's being handled by our government (The current U.S. Administration advocates studying, not dealing with, global warming; its energy policy completely based on burning more coal & oil. Most state and local governments are unprepared for major changes)

* It's not a big deal compared to national security (Global warming is actually the most serious threat to the widest range of human concerns. Our national and world security is directly threatened by negative climate effects on weather, water supply, disease, agriculture, marine resources, and health)

* Technology will solve the problem for us (Massive "fixes" like burying greenhouse gases are very unlikely, but many smaller changes can make a difference AND are available now)

* There's nothing to be done anyway (Everyone can make a difference today)

Full Article: http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/pages/actions.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zarvirus

• Megalomania

• Urisk

• frogfish

I agree with this Zar, global warming and climate change issues are perhaps the greatest threat to this planet.

As we far know the climate is changing. The earth is warming up, and there is now overwhelming scientific concensus that it is happening, and human-induced. With global warming on the increase and species and their habitats on the decrease, chances for ecosystems to adapt naturally are diminishing. Many are agreed that climate change may be one of the greatest threats facing the planet. Recent years show increasing temperatures in various regions, and/or increasing extremities in weather patterns.

Yes exactly, the thing is nobody cares about this, surprisingly they think this is BS, the only topics the people like here are the UFO, Spirituality, Ghosts and that stuff, stuff that wont help save this planet...sad but true :(

Yes exactly, the thing is nobody cares about this, surprisingly they think this is BS, the only topics the people like here are the UFO, Spirituality, Ghosts and that stuff, stuff that wont help save this planet...sad but true :(

LOL hahaha i know what you mean, yes its like that people in this forums are kids...

A side of that---

According to the National Academy of Sciences, the Earth's surface temperature has risen by about 1 degree Fahrenheit in the past century, with accelerated warming during the past two decades. There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities. Human activities have altered the chemical composition of the atmosphere through the buildup of greenhouse gases – primarily carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. The heat-trapping property of these gases is undisputed although uncertainties exist about exactly how earth’s climate responds to them. Go to the Emissions section for much more on greenhouse gases.

Article at: http://yosemite.epa.gov/OAR/globalwarming....nt/Climate.html

global warming is the end of us all wait that would mean oil companies are the end which means bush is the end of the world.

I agree that we need to make a change, but i also think this would have happened in our future without the use of fossil fuels, we are going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

We need to help our planet out though , we need to address this as soon as possible though and they don't seem to be doing that.

My two cents:

While global warming does occur, it doesn't have that large of an effect. I've unbiasly studied this topic, and did many essays and research papers on it, trying to prove to others that it does pose a serious threat to us and is caused by us.

That said, I don't think we are at that great of a risk because of a lot of the information I have received since then.

Don't think that global warming is entirely due to us. It is something that has always gone on - as well as global cooling. They are both entirely natural, and everytime the Earth warms up and cools down, we shouldn't freak out and say we're all going to die. The average increase for the worlds temperature as of late is 1 degree over 100 years. If you are concerned about a rise in oceans causing violent storms, and flooding, and other places suffering from drought, consider this - The arctic is made of polar ice caps. They are in the ocean. When they melt, the weight of the ice is lifted, and therefore the ocean doesn't rise - much like an ice cube in a glass of water. (Let's not get into my poor friends the polar bears.. It really sucks to be them these days..)

In the 70's they were concerned about global COOLING, and thought they were running out of oil. Oil went from $1/barrel to $12/barrel. That's 1200%! I'm just saying, they were wrong then, they could be wrong now.

I am concerned though. I think that we definitely need to take better care of the Earth, and there will be consequences, but what is being done now isn't doing #*$( all, and I would like to take this opportunity to express my extreme disgust towards the Kyoto Protocol...

But anyways - while we do have an effect, it isn't great enough to kill us all. I would be more concerned about the air we breathe, and the water we drink, not our climate. They go hand in hand technically, but let's get things straight - there are WAY larger fish to fry.

A change of .6 degrees over the last two centuries, especially since the industrial revolution is expected...Global Warming is a myth. The Earth NATURALLY undergoes temperature fluctuations.

Agreed entirely. Global warming might be moderately affected by man, but it isn't a severe problem.

But you do agree we should take better care of our resources, and our world?

Agreed entirely. Global warming might be moderately affected by man, but it isn't a severe problem.

But you do agree we should take better care of our resources, and our world?

Did you by any chance read the 10 MYTHS about Global Warming?....and yes we need to take better care of our resources!

Unbiased information seems impossible to come by. On of the best pro-warming sites is RealClimate. The word "real" reveals a certain arrogance; they label warming skeptics as "industry funded", therefore assumed biased. Of course, it could be said that government funded scientists have an interest in hyping the global warming issue to keep the research grants flowing. However, the site is run by working climate scientists who know what they are talking about. There is also discussion forums attached to some of the articles, so you can ask these guys questions.

Cold Facts on Global Warming is a paper suggesting the warming effect of carbon dioxide is less that the IPCC predicts.

CO2 Science publishes articles on the global warming issue, all of them attempting to minimize it. What it lacks in balance it makes up for in breadth of coverage. But now I just discovered you are expected to pay for the privilege of reading biased coverage. I guess all that supposed industry funding is giving these people a miss.

British scientists have been given the go-ahead for a project aimed at dropping a robot probe into a vast, subterranean lake two miles below the Antarctic ice.

The aim is to study the microbes and other lifeforms found in Lake Ellsworth in West Antarctica and to study sediments on its floor. The latter could provide vital information about climate change.

'We have no idea when the West Antarctic ice sheet last melted completely,' said Professor Martin Siegert, of Bristol University. 'But by studying these sediments we should be able to work out if West Antarctica was completely ice-free in the recent geological past, a few hundred thousand years ago.

'Given the rate at which the planet is heating up, we need to know just how vulnerable the West Antarctic ice sheet is. If it melts completely, sea levels will rise by six metres or more and drown great stretches of coastline round the world.'

Lake Ellsworth is buried more than two miles beneath the ice sheet and is one of 145 sub-glacial lakes that have recently been pinpointed on the continent by airborne radar surveys. Scientists now know that heat emanating from Earth's core gently melts the base of the Antarctic ice sheet and this produces vast caverns - many of them dozens of miles in length - that have filled with water.

'In some cases, this water has lain undisturbed for millions of years,' said Siegert, who is leading the Ellsworth project, a multi-disciplinary team from 12 UK universities and research centres. 'The lakes are therefore of incalculable scientific importance - and not just for understanding life on Earth. We now know that Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter, is coated with a thick layer of ice that covers a vast ocean and this could, possibly, provide a home to alien lifeforms.

'However, if we want to go and look for these, as space engineers are planning, we will first have to learn how to explore ice-covered environments on Earth.'

And that will not be easy. Most of Antarctica's buried lakes are found on the eastern half of the continent, including its biggest - Lake Vostok. This was until recently the favourite candidate for a drilling project, but the logistical problems have proved daunting. The lake is buried under 4km (2.5 miles) of ice.

Nor is it possible to use standard oil-drilling technology to reach the lake. Kerosene, used as an anti-freeze, would contaminate the pristine water below the ice. So they aim to use hot-water drills: essentially huge shower heads that spray out water at high temperature and pressure and which would simply melt their way downwards.

'The trouble is that the ice above Lake Vostok is incredibly cold - minus 60 Celsius - and that makes it difficult to melt,' added Siegert. 'So we have picked Lake Ellsworth.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/sto...1489628,00.html

A change of .6 degrees over the last two centuries, especially since the industrial revolution is expected...Global Warming is a myth. The Earth NATURALLY undergoes temperature fluctuations.

Natural fluctuations: Global Warming.

Natural fluctuations + human contributions: Enhanced Global Warming

Please, learn your facts.

Edited by Megalomania

Please, learn your facts.

you have a point there... :rolleyes:

Currently we have the highest parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere for 650k years.

Prior to this date there must have been more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and there was no human involvement then.

If when a volcano really goes for it..... Then the alterations created by man will appear minimal.

you have a point there... :rolleyes:

Was that sarcastic? :wacko:

Oh God, reminds me of my exams in May... One was on why the term Global Warming is a very misleading and entirely inaccurate term. The reason? Warming won't be uniform. If anything, here in the UK (at least) will get cooler. MUCH cooler. The Atlantic Convetor, due to an influx of fresh water from the melting Greenland ice-caps will cause it to either a) sink, B) move south, c)slow or in worst case scenario d) stop altogether. I don't want to go into it in more depth unless I have to though as quite frankly, it was a b**** of a question really (sounds simple enough, but not in Honours, oh noooooo!!).

Agreed that the planet fluctuates in temperature naturally, the Jurassic being a prime example, the estimated temperature being 15-12 degrees HIGHER than our estimated potential high. However, there is also no doubt that it IS happening at an alarming rate! Much faster than it has done. That said, we have experienced a whole host of different temperature ranges, and freak weather patterns even before the Industrial Revolution. I have no doubt that we are contributing to it, no matter how small, and that it is a serious thing, but this has happened before. I don't think people quite understand the seriousness of it: it's happening faster than the norm, even if it is natural, it will be detrimental to the wellbeing of animals (such as birds who rely on the spring insects) and may even be potentially threatening to the survival of whole species. What I don't understand is why coral reefs pretty much live on their upward temperature limits, and yet they've been around in muuuuuuch warmer climates in the Mezozoic and beyond?

if I may put forth a theory regarding tectonics and warming? Lately we have been experiencing quite a lot of tectonic activity in terms of earthquakes, volcanism and the like (when I say recently I'm not talking the past couple of years, remember the timescale we're on here!). Now, looking at reconstructions of the earth throughout it's known life, and the placement and movements of the continents, there appears to be a correlation between increased tectonic activity and warmer climates. The best one I can think of off the top of my head is during the Cretaceous where it is estimated (highly expertly I might add) there was a huge amount of tectonic movement, the 2 supercontinents breaking up into the modern land masses we are now familiar with. It did technically start in the Jurassic, but not to a wholly massive extent. I believe the climate was rather humid, and very warm. During the Cretaceous the supercontinent Pangea broke up, and by the end of hte Cretaceous there was no such supercontinent. By the ime of the Eocene epoch (Tertiary pd) the continental land masses were pretty much in the positions they are today, and we got glaciations and interglacials all through this and the Miocene (in the Neogene pd). all the way up to today, in the Holocene epoch.

That's the history part, it begins to make sense when you think of energy. When something moves, it produces energy (well, technically it converts energy from one state to another since in a closed system such as the Earth, energy is neither created nor destroyed). Then there is friction between two surfaces the unltimate waste energy is produced; heat energy.

Then of course there's the whole thing about insolation and the Earth's albido, it's axis of tilt and it's orbit of hte sun etc, but that's going slightly beyond my league. I'd have to go back and read through all those papers and quite frankly, that's a frightening prospect just now :lol:

RKD

The difference to me in terms of affecting the earth is the difference between Red, and Red that's a shade lighter/darker.

The difference to me in terms of affecting the people is

Global Climate Change = Truth

Global Warming or Enhanced Global Warming = Detrimental Political/Economic/Social Agenda that feels good too

Totally agree about being responsible with resources and reduce miserable conditions (i.e. smog and such).

Even if it is natural, the climate is changing, and what ever the cause it it's still a problem that will have to be addressed.

Even if it is natural, the climate is changing, and what ever the cause it it's still a problem that will have to be addressed.

Yeah absolutly agree, for those who havent been in the caribean, the temp. are risen every year, the globe is getting hotter and thats a fact!.

Edited by zarvirus

The climate has always been changing, and tectonic plates have always been moving.

The climate has always been changing, and tectonic plates have always been moving.

So what are you saying?, this is a very natural thing, is true that is chaging but is natural and we shouldnt do a thing?

But never before have their been so many humans on the planet. Many settlements and lives are potentially at risk due to flooding, that can't be dismissed just because "It's natural".

Edited by Raptor X7

But never before have their been so many humans on the planet. Many settlements and lives are potentially at risk due to flooding, that can't be dismissed just because "It's natural".

Those areas have always been at risk for flooding...Its our choice to live there.